PDA

View Full Version : The Right Wing Domination Of Talk Radio (And How To End It)

FORD
06-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Unlike that bullshit posted by Chickenhawk Schultz, this is based in REALITY......

REPORT: The Right Wing Domination Of Talk Radio And How To End It

The Center for American Progress and Free Press today released the first-of-its-kind statistical analysis of the political make-up of talk radio in the United States. It confirms that talk radio, one of the most widely used media formats in America, is dominated almost exclusively by conservatives.

The new report — entitled “The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio” — raises serious questions about whether the companies licensed to broadcast over the public radio airwaves are serving the listening needs of all Americans.

While progressive talk is making inroads on commercial stations, right-wing talk reigns supreme on America’s airwaves. Some key findings:

– In the spring of 2007, of the 257 news/talk stations owned by the top five commercial station owners, 91 percent of the total weekday talk radio programming was conservative, and only 9 percent was progressive.

– Each weekday, 2,570 hours and 15 minutes of conservative talk are broadcast on these stations compared to 254 hours of progressive talk — 10 times as much conservative talk as progressive talk.

– 76 percent of the news/talk programming in the top 10 radio markets is conservative, while 24 percent is progressive.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/radiographic2.gif

Two common myths are frequently offered to explain the imbalance of talk radio:

1) the 1987 repeal of the Fairness Doctrine (which required broadcasters to devote airtime to contrasting views), and 2) simple consumer demand. Each of these fails to adequately explain the root cause of the problem. The report explains:

Our conclusion is that the gap between conservative and progressive talk radio is the result of multiple structural problems in the U.S. regulatory system, particularly the complete breakdown of the public trustee concept of broadcast, the elimination of clear public interest requirements for broadcasting, and the relaxation of ownership rules including the requirement of local participation in management. […]

Ultimately, these results suggest that increasing ownership diversity, both in terms of the race/ethnicity and gender of owners, as well as the number of independent local owners, will lead to more diverse programming, more choices for listeners, and more owners who are responsive to their local communities and serve the public interest.

Along with other ideas, the report recommends that national radio ownership not be allowed to exceed 5 percent of the total number of AM and FM broadcast stations, and local ownership should not exceed more than 10 percent of the total commercial radio stations in a given market.

Read the full report here (http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/06/pdf/talk_radio.pdf)

Link (http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/20/radio-report/)

Unchainme
06-22-2007, 11:06 PM
So FORD...You want Malloy and Air America to be forced to have a glenn back clone, to be forced to reinerate a Republican point on the radio?..:rolleyes:

..And even if this is going to happen..Who's to say that Rush limbaugh and others won't hire Alan Colmes Clones so that they won't cause any trouble? :)

Unchainme
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Also FORD..If there is a market for a Liberal Rush or Hannity...Someone will find it..and use it...

Truth of the matter is...The majority of folks that listen to talk radio are Middleclass Salesman on Business Trips who usually lean to the right on issues..This is why Limbaugh and gang get the ratings..

But again.."If You Build it..They will come" :)

hideyoursheep
06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
But again.."If You Build it..They will come" :)

On the other hand, "If You Put Them On One Weak Signal, No One Will Find It."

It happened here. How can a progressive AM station with a weak signal (purposely?) compete with overlapping coverage (from all directions)of the "GOP network"? You drive 15 miles from the station and struggle to fight off the static, or it's stepped on by a stronger conservative station.

Fairness? Where? Who wants to pay for airtime on a station that's never heard?

matt19
06-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Even all the "left" that i have heard on the radio are actually moderate republicans.

FORD
06-25-2007, 02:26 AM
The real argument here is local ownership

There is no way in HELL that right wing radio should be favored over progressive radio 69 - 31 in fucking San Francisco, arguably the most Liberal city in this country.

Radio didn't get this one sided until corporate consolidation put every major market in the hands of Clear Channel, Viacom, and Entercom.

Existing antitrust laws should have prevented these companies from existing in the first place, but BCE appointed judges refuse to endorse the laws.

Howard Dean said point blank that he would go after the media monopolies in his Presidential campaign, and that's when the worst of the attacks against him began.

These bastards know what kind of hold they have over the news and information that this country hears, and they won't give it up easily.

matt19
06-25-2007, 02:37 AM
You would figure thats when the worst attacks would come, fucking viacom. I HATE CLEAR CHANNEL WITH A PASSION! :mad:

TongueNGroove
06-25-2007, 06:49 AM
There have been plenty of left wing radio talk shows. The problem is they are so moronic they usualy get confronted by real facts and they look like idiots so often they end up getting taken off the air.

Besides you guys own hollywood and all the movies that are made there, so don't feel too bad.

FORD
06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TongueNGroove
There have been plenty of left wing radio talk shows. The problem is they are so moronic they usualy get confronted by real facts and they look like idiots so often they end up getting taken off the air.

It's the right wing talk shows that never have the facts. Yet they stay on the air?

Is that because they're right? No, it's because they enable corporatism and fanatacism. Michael Weiner and Glenn Back are openly racist homophobes. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon who told his listeners how to murder federal law enforcement agents. Mush Limpdick is a known drug addict, and therefore his judgement can't possibly be trusted. Yet all are still on the air.

Because the corporations love the fact that the sheep like yourself fall for their bullshit. If local ownership was in place, they would have lost half their affiliates at least.

Besides you guys own hollywood and all the movies that are made there, so don't feel too bad.

Yeah.... "we" own Hollywood. That's why the guy who made some of the worst movies there is now known as "Herr Governator". And also why yet another third rate actor is being taken seriously as a Republican candidate for President.

But fuck those guys.... keep this on topic.

Wallyg
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
In Houston they have local ownership of an AM station because Clear Channel came in and cleared house to put their own hacks on. The people let go bought their own station and now kick everyone's butt in drive time so Ford has a point sort of. The station locally owned is run by conservative Christian talk hosts who Clear channel fired partially because of that fact. They dont preach or wear it on their sleeves but it is part of their rep. The main host and owner was elected to the state senate last year with about 70-80% of the vote in a field of 5, many of whom were well known politicians. Clear channel started off with a guy being liberal and their ratings tanked so the same guy quickly became a "conservative." The market dictated( meaning the advertisers paying the freight).

Lqskdiver
06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
The real reason left wing hosts can't keep an audience is because the majority of the left have attention deficit disorder.

No limp-wristed, frosty haired, streisand loving, Broadway singing liberal is gonna last 5 minutes listening to someone talk about their politics.

They'd rather be listening to Aaron Neville and talking on the phone while driving their Peugeot 604 to work at the local tanning salon.

ELVIS
06-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Is that because they're right? No, it's because they enable corporatism and fanatacism. Michael Weiner and Glenn Back are openly racist homophobes. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon who told his listeners how to murder federal law enforcement agents. Mush Limpdick is a known drug addict, and therefore his judgement can't possibly be trusted. Yet all are still on the air.

You're a known paranoid conspirator who believes the "BCE" hacked your computer, so who should I listen to, you or Limbaugh ??

You're a riot...

LMAO!

:elvis:

matt19
06-26-2007, 01:34 AM

Is it that or are you just to fucking retarded to understand them? :rolleyes:

FORD
06-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You're a known paranoid conspirator who believes the "BCE" hacked your computer, so who should I listen to, you or Limbaugh ??

You're a riot...

LMAO!

:elvis:

You, of all people, should understand the effects that opiate based drugs have on someone's mind. Unfortunately, I know that all too well myself, since I have a friend who was made a junkie by his doctors, and he's so goddamned mental now, I can't trust him to be in my house. :(

I wouldn't trust Mush Limpdick to tell me the sky was blue in Arizona.

matt19
06-26-2007, 02:23 AM
You, of all people, should understand the effects that opiate based drugs have on someone's mind. Unfortunately, I know that all too well myself, since I have a friend who was made a junkie by his doctors, and he's so goddamned mental now, I can't trust him to be in my house. :(

I wouldn't trust Mush Limpdick to tell me the sky was blue in Arizona.

With all the drugs he is on do you think he thinks the sky is blue in Arizona? :confused:

FORD
06-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by matt19
With all the drugs he is on do you think he thinks the sky is blue in Arizona? :confused:

Well..... he did supposedly go there for rehab once. ;)

scamper
06-26-2007, 08:08 AM
What we're talking about is freedom of speech. Maybe we need to regulate the internet blogs too. It's an open market if you think you can get listeners start your own show.

BITEYOASS
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I have a simple solutions to ending right-wing radio's domination. Have everyone call Bill O'Reilly and just mention Keith Olbermann at least once in the conversation. That way Bill will overload Fox security with demands and Murdoch will have to fire him. As for Savage, just mention say that you love gay sex and have other call in and do the same. The SOB will spend so much in lawsuits that he'll go broke! :D

Unchainme
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Again...Talk Radio's Main audience doesn't normally consist of People who normally don't vote for the Democratic Party, They're mainly Middleclass White Businessman...

It's a Business...They're appealing to a certain demographics...Why is Bill O'Reilly So High in ratings? It appeals to a certain demographic...Same with Why Glenn Beck's show is still on the air...

BTW...FORD..Why do you think Glenn Beck is so racist? He seems like the tamest of the bunch.

Unchainme
06-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Yo Ford...Houston Has ZERO Liberal Talk Stations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPFT

Check this out...They interview Folks like Cindy sheehan..

FORD
06-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Yo Ford...Houston Has ZERO Liberal Talk Stations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPFT

Check this out...They interview Folks like Cindy sheehan..

I see that's a Pacifica affiliate, which probably means it's a college radio station.

College radio is great. Community supported, carries some great programs like "Democracy Now", but it's NOT a dedicated news/talk format by any means. And they aren't commercial radio stations either. So for those reasons, they aren't part of this study.

GreenBayLA
06-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Air America has a revolving door of "talent" who basicly play one note: "blame Bush" It's boring.

Fairness Doctrine is a horrible idea that will never fly.

Congress relaxed radio ownership & had unintended consequence of cookie cutter radio by a smaller pool of owners. Doh!

matt19
06-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by GreenBayLA
Air America has a revolving door of "talent" who basicly play one note: "blame Bush" It's boring.

Fairness Doctrine is a horrible idea that will never fly.

Congress relaxed radio ownership & had unintended consequence of cookie cutter radio by a smaller pool of owners. Doh!

Its about as bad as people who think his shit doesn't stink like anything on clear channel right? ;)

DrMaddVibe
06-27-2007, 06:33 PM
LMAO!

Frod screaming for "fairness"! LOL!

Cradle to grave, eh? You really NEED government to solve every one of your problems!

Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it. Advertisers couldn't make a profit, and the message was the same every day. Nobody needs that. Because they ripped off the Boy Scouts now you want them to go to bed with the government? So much for Free Enterprise. If people gave a flying fuck about their message they would've dialed in no matter how shitty the signal. They didn't.

http://www.visi.com/~susskins/dispatch/archives/al.jpg

DrMaddVibe
06-27-2007, 06:33 PM
LMAO!

Cradle to grave, eh? You really NEED government to solve every one of your problems!

Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it. Advertisers couldn't make a profit, and the message was the same every day. Nobody needs that. Because they ripped off the Boy Scouts now you want them to go to bed with the government? So much for Free Enterprise. If people gave a flying fuck about their message they would've dialed in no matter how shitty the signal. They didn't.

http://www.visi.com/~susskins/dispatch/archives/al.jpg

DEMON CUNT
06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it.

Hey stupid, Air America is still broadcasting.

Unchainme
06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

With Help From the Democratic Party..:)

DrMaddVibe
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

They obviously didn't get the memo that frod has satellite radio!

FORD
06-27-2007, 09:29 PM
How the FUCK does 3 companies controlling 85% of the radio stations in this country equal "free enterprise".

Again, Assvibe...... How the Hell do you explain SAN FRANCISCO having a 69% right wing - 31% progressive split?

Is there REALLY a huge Republican audience in the "most liberal city in America".

It has nothing to do with ratings. It has nothing to do with advertising dollars. It has nothing to do with the politics of the local radio market.

It has everything to do with RIGHT WING FASCISTS attempting to censor what radio content is available.

DrMaddVibe
06-28-2007, 05:17 AM
They could've been bought by anybody. Clear Channel did. They're not doing a great job, so expect them to sell off in areas that they want to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defnding Clear Channel. I don't even listen to radio stations.

Wallyg
06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
[B
It has nothing to do with ratings. It has nothing to do with advertising dollars. It has nothing to do with the politics of the local radio market.

[/B]

?????????????????????????????
That quote has nothing to do with reality.
It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

TongueNGroove
06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
How the FUCK does 3 companies controlling 85% of the radio stations in this country equal "free enterprise".

Again, Assvibe...... How the Hell do you explain SAN FRANCISCO having a 69% right wing - 31% progressive split?

Is there REALLY a huge Republican audience in the "most liberal city in America".

It has everything to do with RIGHT WING FASCISTS attempting to censor what radio content is available.

If ratings have no affect on what hosts radio stations put on the air then why the hell was ROTH booted out? Agreed that wasn't a politically based show, but it is a perfect example of how important ratings are to attract advertisers who pay all the bills.

Also why was Savage booted off MSNBC? Because the advertisers pulled their funding over his comments...same goes with IMUS!

If you really believe that ratings have nothing to do with what is on the radio or TV then you are even more delusional than I thought.

ULTRAMAN VH
06-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Sen. Feinstein raises fairness doctrine to silence talk radio
Sunday June 24 2007 @ 6:14 pm by Optimistic Patriot

An interesting exchange here between Chris Wallace and Senator Diane Feinstein. It seems that Diane isn’t real pleased about talk radio’s take on the amnesty bill:

But let me ask you about yourself. Do you have a problem with talk radio, and would you consider reviving the fairness doctrine, which would require broadcasters to put on opposing points of view?

FEINSTEIN: Well, in my view, talk radio tends to be one-sided. It also tends to be dwelling in hyperbole. It’s explosive. It pushes people to, I think, extreme views without a lot of information.

This bill was negotiated in secret and ¾ of the US Senate didn’t know what was in it. Then they tried to pass it in less than a week. And Feinstein can say with a straight face that talk radio didn’t have a lot of information? Comical.

This is a very complicated bill. It’s seven titles. Most people don’t know what’s in this bill. Therefore, to just have one or two things dramatized and taken out of context, such as the word amnesty — we have a silent amnesty right now, but nobody goes into that. Nobody goes into the flaws of our broken system.

“Complicated” is code for “not easily understood by the little people”. What about free speech, Diane? If some people want to call it amnesty, isn’t that their right? It’s way to dangerous to let people have their opinion though.

This bill fixes those flaws. Do I think there should be an opportunity on talk radio to present that point of view? Yes, I do, particularly about the critical issues of the day.

WALLACE: So would you revive the fairness doctrine?

FEINSTEIN: Well, I’m looking at it, as a matter of fact, Chris, because I think there ought to be an opportunity to present the other side. And unfortunately, talk radio is overwhelmingly one way.

It might be time to switch to satellite and Internet radio. I get enough liberal pabulum from the NY Times, CNN, Washington Post, et al.

WALLACE: But the argument would be it’s the marketplace, and if liberals want to put on their own talk radio, they can put it on. At this point, they don’t seem to be able to find much of a market.

FEINSTEIN: Well, apparently, there have been problems. It is growing. But I do believe in fairness. I remember when there was a fairness doctrine, and I think there was much more serious correct reporting to people.

I love how she completely skips the free market question by stating “there have been problems”. Yeah, like nobody wants to listen to liberals on the radio. And we know how liberals fix “problems”—more government regulation. Apply a fairness doctrine if you like, but include the NY Times, CBS News, and the nightly news casts while you are at it.

Archived in Democrats | Trackback | del.icio.us | Top Of Page

FORD
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
First of all, Diane Feinstein is less of a Democrat than Hillary Clinton. She's practically Joe Lieberman in drag. So leave her war profiteering ass out of this.....

Clear Channel is downright schizophrenic about this whole thing....... They KNOW Liberal talk radio is a successful and profitable format, because they own stations like KPOJ in Portland and "The Quake" in San Francisco. Yet they still try to flood the market with right wing formats.

But that's because Clear Channel is very much an organ of the BCE political machine. It was literally founded with money made from BCE business dealings (the whole Texas Rangers swindle) and now Mitt the Dog Abuser has bought into the company, so you know you'll hear a lot of his ads on the radio. Probably even on the Quake and KPOJ.

Sgt Schultz
06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
House Votes 309-115 Against Fairness Doctrine
The House votes 309-115 for a Mike Pence amendment barring the FCC from imposing it.

http://people-press.org/reports/images/282-56.gif

"On television, The O'Reilly Factor, has the most knowledgeable audience, 27% of the audience are college grads, which matches the national average. Only three audiences in the Pew survey scored higher on high knowledge than O'Reilly at his Factor TV show. Regular readers of The New Yorker and the Atlantic, regular Rush Limbaugh listeners, and regular Weekly Standard and New Republic readers. "

DEMON CUNT
06-28-2007, 10:29 PM
"high knowledge" WTF?

http://slog.thestranger.com/files/old/050228910-bong.jpg

"The O'Reilly Factor has the most knowledgeable audience"?!?

Ha ha, that's rich.

Sgt Schultz
06-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Frogot the link
link (http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=1068)

knuckleboner
06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
(the whole Texas Rangers swindle)

um...texas rangers swindle?

(i'm assuming you're not referring to them snagging free agent a-rod from the mariners?...)

FORD
06-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
um...texas rangers swindle?

(i'm assuming you're not referring to them snagging free agent a-rod from the mariners?...)

No, they swindled themselves that time. They paid more for Pay-Rod than Chimpy paid for the entire team.

hideyoursheep
07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
The real reason left wing hosts can't keep an audience is because the majority of the left have attention deficit disorder.

No limp-wristed, frosty haired, streisand loving, Broadway singing liberal is gonna last 5 minutes listening to someone talk about their politics.

They'd rather be listening to Aaron Neville and talking on the phone while driving their Peugeot 604 to work at the local tanning salon.

What the fuck was that?

hideyoursheep
07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Wallyg
?????????????????????????????
That quote has nothing to do with reality.
It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And I agree.

Just listen to who runs ads on these shows.

The majority who would never run time on a progressive, "common man's" theme.

Country clubs, golf courses, CPA ads- all the things out of the working man's reach.

THE REAL working man can't hear Rush.. he's too busy WORKING...not pulling a nooner to make a tee time.

Nickdfresh
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Let the blowhards blow
Jul 19th 2007
From The Economist (http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9514232)
Kevin Kallaugher

The case for keeping the airwaves unfair and unbalanced

RUSH LIMBAUGH makes an unusual martyr. He's a rich, white and often rather nasty celebrity. He has the look of a man who eats steak for breakfast. He likes to smoke huge cigars. But a martyr is exactly what he will become if some of America's most prominent politicians get their way.

Richard Durbin, the Senate's second-ranking Democrat, claims that it is time to “reinstitute the fairness doctrine”, referring to a federal rule, in place in 1949-87, that guaranteed “ample play for the free and fair competition of opposing views” on the airwaves. John Kerry, the Democratic nominee in 2004, says that the fairness doctrine ought to come back. “When conservatives got rid of the equal-time requirement...they've been able to squeeze down and squeeze out” opposing views, he says. Dianne Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, says that she is looking at reinstatement. Even Trent Lott, a leading Republican, is hinting at jumping on the bandwagon. “Talk radio is running America,” he complained when the immigration bill went down in flames. “We have to deal with that problem.”

This bandwagon needs to be stopped before it can build up any more speed. America's talk-radio hosts are a rough bunch. Mr Limbaugh is clearly a great broadcasting talent. He is also a caveman. Most of his allies and imitators are cavemen without the talent: try listening to Sean Hannity of an afternoon. And the talk-radio hosts were certainly at their xenophobic worst during the immigration debate. But none of that is a reason for formatting them out of existence. The “fairness doctrine” is a hangover from a prehistoric technological era. It is an assault on free speech. And it embodies a trivial view of what makes for informative reporting. Serious politicians such as Mr Durbin and Ms Feinstein should be ashamed of themselves for digging it up.

The fairness doctrine was introduced in a world when the airwaves were a scarce public commodity dominated by three networks. The doctrine always involved unattractive trade-offs. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) got into the unfortunate business of regulating political speech and constructing elaborate measures of “fairness”. Broadcasters were forced to accept limits on free speech that print journalists would have gagged on. Pressure groups and litigation fiends had a field day accusing radio stations of bias. Many radio stations avoided controversial subjects altogether in order to spare themselves a visit from FCC snoops.

But these days there is no shortage of radio spectrum. America is buzzing with more than 14,000 radio stations. There is nothing to stop American liberals—or indeed communists, Trotskyites or Spartacists—from establishing their own stations. The reason why the leftist flagship Air America Radio almost ran aground last year was not because of lack of spectrum but because of lack of talent and good management.

And radio spectrum is only the beginning of it. The years since the Reagan administration pronounced that the fairness doctrine was outdated have seen a media revolution. Not just the arrival of satellite radio and cable television—the average American TV viewer has access to 102 channels—but also the birth of blogs, podcasts, YouTube and God knows what else. Doesn't this new media world guarantee “ample play for the free and fair competition of opposing views”? And doesn't it make the idea of regulating the airwaves in the name of a government-mandated idea of fairness seem a bit quixotic?

The new apostles of “fairness” advance two arguments in favour of going back to the past. The first is that the ownership structure of radio stations is unfair. A handful of mighty companies such as the Sinclair Broadcast Group use their market dominance to push a right-wing agenda. A report by the Centre for American Progress, a liberal think-tank, points out that the top five commercial station-owners overwhelmingly favour conservative talkers over their liberal rivals: 91% of the talk that they broadcast is conservative, compared with just 9% that is liberal.

The NPR effect

The problem with this argument is that talk radio represents only about 3-4% of the radio market. Mr Limbaugh, the biggest right-wing talker, draws 13.5m listeners a week. National Public Radio, which strives to be fair and balanced but leans to the left, draws 20m. The shock jocks who rule many urban markets are also vaguely leftish: Don Imus, who was dumped for his comment about “nappy-headed hos” but who is reportedly planning a comeback, was almost as scathing about George Bush as he was about the Rutgers University women's basketball team. The reason why the likes of Sinclair Broadcast Group have done so well out of talk radio is that they found a market niche of people who feel that their views are marginalised by mainstream radio. One reason why Air America found it hard to find talent and listeners is that most liberals are perfectly happy with NPR.

The second argument is that people ought to be exposed to both sides of the debate. “I have this old-fashioned attitude that when Americans hear both sides of the story, they're in a better position to make a decision,” says Mr Durbin. This is all very high-minded. But should the state really be in the business of regulating what political views people are exposed to? Nobody thinks that readers of the Nation should be forced to read the National Review as well.

Whatever its problems, America does not suffer from a shortage of opinion or debate. The magazine racks of bookstores groan with political magazines. The radio waves buzz with comment from the left-wing Pacifica Radio to the far-right nutcases. Every man and his dog has a blog. The idea that the government should be hauled in to regulate a fraction of this exploding universe is absurd. No wonder Congress has an even lower approval rating than Mr Bush.

Copyright © 2007 The Economist Newspaper and The Economist Group. All rights reserved.

FORD
07-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The reason why the leftist flagship Air America Radio almost ran aground last year was not because of lack of spectrum but because of lack of talent and good management.

He's almost right...... That's NOT how Air America started, but it definitely IS how it ended up, as the bad management systematically removed most of the real talent from the network.

WhoCares?
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
"MAO!

Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it. Advertisers couldn't make a profit, and the message was the same every day. Nobody needs that. Because they ripped off the Boy Scouts now you want them to go to bed with the government? So much for Free Enterprise. If people gave a flying fuck about their message they would've dialed in no matter how shitty the signal. They didn't."

Bingo

Radio is a business, a market

If you have something to offer that the people want, you stay in business. If not, bye bye

All these "fair minded progressives" on this board can't quite comprehend that

Their side get's shot down each & every time, so they run crying to their nannies, the government & leftist federal judges, & try to force the taxpayers to pay for their crock of shit that no one wants to listen to

They simply hate capitalism, the concept of open markets & competition because they lose everytime

Maybe 5% of the population is interested in the BS they spew. So, they demand the government step in & make it "right". Force their BS, which no one will listen to, onto the airwaves

Go ahead guys, do it. Do you actually think this "doctrine" is a magic wand & soon millions will be interested in leftist tripe?

Hell, even George Soros, the insane radical anti-American billionaire, is growing weary of pouring money into a losing endeavor like Air America

When are you lefties going to realize we live in a Republic based on a capitalistic system?

You can't force your ridiculous ideological bullshit down the throats of the people

They "ain't" buying

FORD
07-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by WhoCares?

You can't force your ridiculous ideological bullshit down the throats of the people

They "ain't" buying

28% of this country still buys the most ridiculous ideological bullshit ever conceived by a band of neo-nazis.

Redballjets88
07-21-2007, 01:03 PM
But that's your crazy ass opinion. 90% of the nation would think you're a retard for your BCE conspiracy.

WhoCares?
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Ford, is everything about Bush?

Is there one waking moment in your day where you're not seething with rage about Bush?

I can imagine a typical everyday conversation with this guy.....

Man on street: Hey Ford, how you doing?
Ford: BUSH SUCKS!

Mos: Uh, OK, hows the family?
F: BUSH IS A RIGHT WING NAZI MASS MURDERER!

Mos: Uh, right, anyway, did you see that new movie yet?
F: BUSH WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD & KILL EVERYONE IN IT!

Mos: Um, OK, talk with you later
F: LATER WILL BE TOO LATE! BUSH WILL HAVE NUKED THE WORLD BY THEN!!!!!!

Geez dude, relax. Take a shower, go outside & get some fresh air

We were discussing the "Fairness" Doctrine & the lefts viability regarding the radio market

You've already covered the 'right wing nazi, nation destroying, world dominator, baby eating fascist Bush about 100 times this week

LoungeMachine
07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
But that's your crazy ass opinion. 90% of the nation would think you're a retard for your BCE conspiracy.

Don't you have any tables to bus today?

The more you pull stupid % figures out of your ass, the more you look like the uninformed dolt you are.

moron.

:gulp:

Redballjets88
07-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Don't you have any tables to bus today?

The more you pull stupid % figures out of your ass, the more you look like the uninformed dolt you are.

moron.

:gulp:

No dude I wait the table, the bus boys bus. and sorry for not holding a nation wide poll before I made that post. please forgive me.

Baby's On Fire
07-21-2007, 07:54 PM
It's the right wing talk shows that never have the facts. Yet they stay on the air?

Because the corporations love the fact that the sheep like yourself fall for their bullshit. If local ownership was in place, they would have lost half their affiliates at least.

Yeah.... "we" own Hollywood. That's why the guy who made some of the worst movies there is now known as "Herr Governator". And also why yet another third rate actor is being taken seriously as a Republican candidate for President.

But fuck those guys.... keep this on topic.

Arnold is a great man. Shut the fuck up. He is one of the most driven, successful human beings on the planet. And he is more liberal than he is reublican.

Now again I say, shut the fuck up.

sadaist
07-21-2007, 09:20 PM
This is just an argument for affirmative action for talk radio. It doesn't work, nor should it.

There are too many blacks in professional sports. We need a "fairness doctrine" to have an equal amount of whites, hispanics, asians, etc...

There are too many beautiful people in movies, magazines & television. We need a "fairness doctrine" to allow equal time for overweight, unattractive people.

There are too many quality musicians receiving airplay & record contracts. We need a "fairness doctrine" to allow an equal amount of crappy, untalented garage bands to be heard.

Ridiculous.