PDA

View Full Version : GnR - Behind The Music

PHOENIX
05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
GUNS N' ROSES: VH1 Documentary To Air In June

VH1 is reportedly working on a "Behind the Music"-style documentary covering the early days of GUNS N' ROSES. Among the people that are set to contribute to the project are original members Slash, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler, plus Tom Zutaut (former A&R executive at Geffen Records), Josh Richman (video director), Teddy Andreadis (keyboard player), Dave Navarro (JANE'S ADDICTION, ex-RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), Warren De Martini (ex-RATT), Gilby Clark (ex-GUNS N' ROSES) and Mike Clink (GNR producer). The documentary is scheduled to air first week in June, followed a week later by "The Making of Velvet Revolver", a behind-the-scenes look at how Slash and Duff's new band, VELVET REVOLVER, got constructed, from the songwriting process to the singer search and studio sessions. More information will be made available soon.

Mr Badguy
05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Another article where GnR are very much in the past tense.

How long before the reunion?

cwsmith17
05-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Axl's voice is shot.

Wayne L.
05-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Guns-N-Roses are all about their one great classic rock album Appetite For Destruction like most 80's rock bands no matter if their other ones were popular but not as great.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Just saw this on VH1....

Very interesting, although not surprising.... Ego, in this case Axl's, broke up a potentially supergroup....

One tidbit I didn't realize was that Slash was basically dead and had to be given adrenaline shots to revive him, just like Nikki Sixx....

Snoo
07-04-2004, 01:35 PM
They said Chinese Democracy is slated for release in November. Hopefully they had a better source for that than the internet.

POJO_Risin
07-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Well...I'll certainly watch this...

talk about a case in which a potentially band of the ages...goes down in flames...

Appetite was a classic...

Bill Lumbergh
07-05-2004, 03:54 AM
I've been hearing about when "Chinese Democracy" is supposed to come out for years. At this point, I'd rather listen to Velvet Revolver(although I'm not a big fan of Scott Weiland). Nothing new really revealed on the show, though i agree, I never knew about the Slash adrenaline story.

POJO_Risin
07-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Fuck Chinese Democracy...

who's their new guitarist by the way...now that fucking idiot buckethead quit...

Panamark
07-05-2004, 06:31 AM
There is no new guitarist as of yet. (Last time I heard)

Golden AWe
07-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Of the supposed "chinese democracy"-song, I do like "The Blues" even though Axl's voice is shot. He does write good piano ballads but doesn't have the sense of humour like Elton John back in the 70's...both are, however, equally gay

Big Troubles
07-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Behind the music? What fucking music? Maybe 5 songs are worth mentioning. The rest of this band's history will be marked by Slash's outrageous, and rediculous look, forgettable bandmates and Axl's drinking and abuse problems. This isn't a band. They were a joke.
Velvet Revolver has already turned more heads and made more of a credibility stand with the media than GnR ever did.

Big Troubles
07-05-2004, 11:11 AM
What VH1 needs to do is a special on the "Mighty" Van Halen. A well documented behind the scenes with accuracy. If only Edward and Alex would loosen up their ass cheeks and let someone other than Sammy in their quality air and space we might actually get to see this someday. I want those demos of theirs released too. Fucking stupid Edward pride.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
What VH1 needs to do is a special on the "Mighty" Van Halen. A well documented behind the scenes with accuracy. If only Edward and Alex would loosen up their ass cheeks and let someone other than Sammy in their quality air and space we might actually get to see this someday. I want those demos of theirs released too. Fucking stupid Edward pride.

I don't think there's ANY chance that they'll ever allow that to happen, unfortunately....

As for demos, just give me Oakland '81, and I'm a happy guy.... :D

Big Troubles
07-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Oakland and Brazil for sure. But I know theres more, alot more recordings with the original VH "out there" that Id really like to hear.

lucky wilbury
07-05-2004, 12:10 PM
http://www.musicstation.com/cgi-bin/rotv/rotv_cgi?search_type=artist_exact&sort_by=artist&type=tv&search=156659

07/05/04
10:00 pm ET VH1 Behind The Music Guns N' Roses Info
07/06/04
12:00 am ET VH1 Behind The Music Guns N' Roses Info
07/06/04
11:00 am ET VH1 Behind The Music Guns N' Roses Info

tobinentinc
07-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Caught the end, nothing suprising, all Axel's ego like we have known all too well.

thefive
07-06-2004, 02:17 AM
I trip out on this type of shit. You got a band that is making millions of dollars. The sky is the limit and they are self destructive. Drinking and drugs get in the way. You destroy what you wanted to build for so long. Your dream.

I cannot believe that Slash and the rest of the band members signed over the guns n roses name to axl. I would have never did it if I were in their shoes.

Axl was a dictator and thats why it never worked out. I think I heard one time he was manic depressive.

So many people would have killed to be in their shoes. And I think a lot of people would have took the Guns and Roses thing to the top if they were in Guns n roses shoes.

That is why I liked Dave and Van Halen. They did not get into trouble with the law. They knew how to party and stay out of trouble. Motley Crue partied so hard and got into some big trouble. Guns and roses did the same as motley crue maybe not as bad.

thefive
07-06-2004, 02:23 AM
The frontman for velvet revolver what band was he from before he joined?

thanks

Rebel
07-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by thefive
The frontman for velvet revolver what band was he from before he joined?

thanks

Stone Temple Pilots

Golden AWe
07-06-2004, 05:05 AM
The Pilots managed to keep their shit together for a suprisingly long time...the DeLeo brothers must be tough guys mentally.

thefive
07-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
Stone Temple Pilots

Thanks for answering my question rebel

twonabomber
07-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by thefive
That is why I liked Dave and Van Halen. They did not get into trouble with the law. They knew how to party and stay out of trouble.

that, or they had better lawyers and PR people who could cover shit up.

i remember Ed saying he got a DUI on his motorcycle...

Bill Lumbergh
07-07-2004, 03:14 AM
I loved GNR. Appetite and the Illusions were amazing..........When that band was on, they were amazing........could've gone down as one of the greats, if not for Axl. Show up on time for the gig motherfucker..........

thefive
07-07-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I Show up on time for the gig motherfucker..........

Exactly show up on time.

Hey Bill what about that song 1 in a million. Is it a racist song? Axl I got the impression he was down playing it in that interview when asked why he used the N word

VanJay011379
07-07-2004, 11:17 AM
I loved GNR. Appetite and the Illusions were amazing..........When that band was on, they were amazing........could've gone down as one of the greats, if not for Axl. Show up on time for the gig motherfucker..........

I agree.

Love or hate em, UYI 1 and 2 were two of the most perfect albums ever.

I saw the 2002 Chinese Democracy tour in Pittsburgh. He came on stage at 11 PM. Most bands are usually done at this time. Shit, my girlfriend went with me and she works at a hospital. She was up at 4 AM that day and was pissed. I was getting nervous for a potential riot as the crowd was getting restless. People were crowd surfing and shit with no music.:(

The show was nothing short of incredible though.

Two things:

1) Axl's voice is probably better and cleaner now than before.
2) Buckethead can run circles around most guitarists.

Its a shame the 2002 thing didn't work out. Axl had a opportunity handed to him on a platter and dropped it. Most bands can't replace all (or about all) members and put on such a show but he did. Fucker blew it.

ALinChainz
07-07-2004, 01:43 PM

Seen them 3 times.

Late each time.

Drunkest band in history the first time.

2nd time, Slash was cool, came out in the crowd during Paradise City, outdoor venue, exchanged high 5's, killer show. Opened for Aerosmith.

EmpyreLounge44
07-07-2004, 01:56 PM
yeah Axl really did screw up and now he has more work to do since the others have moved on with a great Velvet Revolver disc. I had a buddy who went to one of the shows and said it was great, but same thing...on at 11. they had CKY open at like 8.30 and then a dj who spun records for an hour then an hour of nothing...what the fuck. thats why they did semi-riot in philly and now are without a guitarist again

ZOSO
07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Given how young I was at the time, I missed out on the whole thing. I knew of "You Could Be Mine" from T2, which has always been my favorite movie. Once I got a tad older, I got into them thanks to that song & my older cousin's influence. They've been one of my favorite bands(Right next to Zep & VH) for a long time now so I was definitely pleased w/ the show.
Aparently something else w/ Slash came on before or after the first airing of the special on VH1 but I never caught it. Any1 know of this?

Thank god for Velvet Revolver. They aren't GNR, but if it's got Slash I'm in. Dave doesn't have Izzy's songwriting ability, but overall he does a good job of getting Slash to play his best.

No good comments on the 2002 tour. The "Axl Rose Group" is nothing compared to the Gunners of old. Things are even worse now that Mr. KFC Fruitcake quit. I suppose Axl will try and rough it as a one man band? Well, if things don't work (and they haven't for well over 7 years now) I'm sure The Waboritas would love to have him.:p

Bill Lumbergh
07-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Seen them 3 times.

Late each time.

Drunkest band in history the first time.

2nd time, Slash was cool, came out in the crowd during Paradise City, outdoor venue, exchanged high 5's, killer show. Opened for Aerosmith.

Saw them twice.........once with Skid Row opening(VERY LATE) Then on the Guns-Metallica tour(late again). I gotta say they were great both times though.