PDA

View Full Version : Is the CD Becoming Obsolete?

Hardrock69
06-26-2007, 01:38 PM
by Clint DeBoer — last modified June 25, 2007 11:13

Can the CD Situation be Fixed?

Glancing at a report on Forbes.com this morning, there was an article showing that CD sales are expected to be down 20% 2008 (slightly higher than the 15% drop initially predicted). Why such a drop? Well, there has been a recorded drop of 18% so far in 2007 and the trend seems to be steady and indicative of future trending.

But what's really happening?

A couple things are to "blame". For one, there seems to be a case of shrinking floor space as sales decline. This will likely get worse as stores heavily monitor what items are making money and carefully guard real-estate in their stores, making adjustments to compensate for industry trends and swings. If sales continue to shift online, look for the physical presence of CDs to drop. This will also have an interesting chicken -and-egg effect that extends beyond shrinking sales and reduced floor space... Music Studios will be even MORE inclined to stick with their bubble-gum and "sure thing" artists, reducing the choice in music and furthering the stale choices already proliferating the industry. As a result, independent labels will likely continue to thrive (moreso perhaps) and pick up steam, though much of this in online music sales.

Compare this with new information released by Apple on Friday stating that iTunes is now the third largest music retailer in the country - this according to stats from the first quarter of 2007. iTunes has 9.8% of the retail music marketshare with Wal-mart taking 15.8% and Best Buy 13.8%. That's a LOT of music sales.

In contrast, and to give you a perspective of the change, Amazon.com has a 6.7% share while Target has around 6.6%. iTunes compared its sales to physical store purchases by converting every 12 single downloads as a single album sale. That seems more than fair and gives you an idea of how effective online music is becoming as a compelling alternative to physical sales - at least for people who listen to their music more on the go than in the home. And that's a majority of consumers these days. As automakers respond to the iPod revolution with MP3-compatible players and external docks and connections for MP3 players, even the CD's largest consumer - the commuter - is looking at different options. The market is getting very very competitive and the face of the industry is in the middle of a clear change.

While overall music sales is expected to drop by about 9% in both 2007 and 2008, what's truly happening (according to this report) is a gradual shift away from physical media to downloadable formats. What this indicates, so far, is that US sales of digital music will be growing at an estimated rate of 28% in 2008, however physical sales will drop even further, resulting in a net overall decline.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/is-the-cd-becoming-obsolete.html

FORD
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
CD's aren't selling, because most music these days SUCKS ASS.

I don't own an I-Pod or anything of that nature, but even if I did buy one, I would load it up with existing music. I will not pay for lossy downloads now or ever. If I pay for music, it will be on a format that cannot be wiped out by a virus or even a fucking magnet. (Learned that lesson with cassette tapes back in the 80's)

Mr. Vengeance
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Look, it's simple. We have a generation of addle-minded kids who have been fed SHITTY American Idol-style crap and hip hop bullshit, where every song sounds the same, for YEARS!

No one makes ALBUMS anymore. They try to make one or two pop hits that these brain dead fuckin' kids download. They don't care about a whole album, or the artwork. They just want that three minutes of shitty pop pap! MP3 and Ipod have killed music.

The music industry is doomed. Just enjoy the classics and hope every now and then one of the greats (Stones/ AC/DC/McCartney/Rod/etc)puts something out.

Terry
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Jesus, I fucking hope not.
Am still in the process of updating my cassettes to cd.
Laugh if you want, but fuck it. I play those tapes until they wear the fuck OUT before I upgrade to cd.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Steve Savicki
06-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Only CDs worth buying...

http://woundedbird.com/

the OLD music... OUR days...

Dam... did I imply we're gettin' old? But I'd rather be older and in the time of the good stuff then what kids are exposed to today.

Sure, anyone can get into classic rock, but I loved the 80's and am happy I was there in the time.

ThrillsNSpills
06-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Laugh if you want, but fuck it. I play those tapes until they wear the fuck OUT before I upgrade to cd.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No lie Terry, I have Zappa Tinseltown Rebellion on cassette (from vinyl) and on CD.

Guess which one sounds better....

Fine Girl (Incredible Tune) is unlistenable on CD compared to the fullness on the cassette.

The difference is unbelievable.

You can get a better upgrade bouncing your cassettes to VCR tapes.

Mr. Vengeance
06-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I have hundreds of cassettes, but I keep them in careful storage to preserve them as long as I can. I imagine they'll start to break down in another 10-20 years.

By then, I'll likely be deaf from crankin' the rock!

Terry
06-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
No lie Terry, I have Zappa Tinseltown Rebellion on cassette (from vinyl) and on CD.

Guess which one sounds better....

Fine Girl (Incredible Tune) is unlistenable on CD compared to the fullness on the cassette.

The difference is unbelievable.

You can get a better upgrade bouncing your cassettes to VCR tapes.

Had a semi-bummer when my Exile On Main Street cassette finally shit the bed. Couldn't find it on cassette form, grabbed a cd. So much of the depth that album had, sound-wise, was lost in the translation.

binnie
06-29-2007, 03:03 AM
Ok there are still great bands making great records, you just have search through a lot of crap to find them these days.

I fucking hope music doesn't become 100% downloads, as thats' not how I like to experience music. I like the physicallity of CDs, the linear notes etc.

But I have to agree that whilst we keep have disposable acts in the charts, the fads of the week, we will see a decline in sales. By the very nature of those artists, they will never have a back catalogue.....