PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness

One Voice
01-08-2004, 11:38 AM
I saw a video of these guys last night.
It was hysterical, i dont know if they are serious or
just trying to have fun using every cliche in rock n roll.
I couldnt stop laughing.
This guys voice had me rolling.:D

High Life Man
01-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Kick ass band. The 500 post thread over at DDLR.COM proves that.

One Voice
01-08-2004, 01:33 PM
I think i'm going to pick it up
and check the rest of it out.
The song i saw the video for was fun to listen to,
thats for sure.

Mr Badguy
01-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Is it only me that smells hype?

I don`t know how much coverage they get in the states but over here they get as much column inches as the latest boy band.

I don`t like having music forced on me.

Take the best cliches from every band you can think of then mass market it for kids who don`t remember the real thing.

I`m sorry but I don`t think they`re laughing with us but at us.

The Darkness show that it wouldn`t be that good to bring back the late 1980`s and that Nirvana did us all a favour.

I don`t think they will last very long as they have not left themselves any room for musical develpment.

There are lots more exciting bands doing original ideas, not trying to breathe life into a real life Spinal Tap.

Recording a christmas song?

That sucks a mean dick.

One Voice
01-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Yea thats why i was asking if they were actually serious
or not.

High Life Man
01-08-2004, 03:12 PM
They're serious.

Like Badguy says, lets see what kind of legs this band has. Who knows how many albums they'll be able to put out.

They're starting to get some buzz in the States.

Pick up the album, I like it. It took a couple of listens though.

One Voice
01-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Yea i think i will,
I found it for $7.99 online at Bestbuy

NE169
01-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by One Voice
Yea thats why i was asking if they were actually serious
or not. Maybe the best way to put it is they're serious about having fun.

rustoffa
01-08-2004, 08:42 PM
It's fucking hilarious and some songs are pretty catchy,I agree about the jury still being out.

Mr Grimsdale
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Darkness land on US album chart (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3382379.stm)

UK rock sensations The Darkness have scored the highest-climbing album on this week's US chart, making their first appearance in the top 100.
Their album, Permission To Land, went from number 173 to 92 in one week on the Billboard chart.

The Darkness, a flamboyant rock group influenced by Queen and AC/DC, shot to fame in the UK in 2003, topping the album chart in August.

OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below remained at number one in the US chart.

'Mindless'

The Darkness' jump comes as they begin to promote the album in the US, with an appearance on David Letterman's chat show on CBS lined up for Friday.

They are also due to make an appearance at the Virgin Megastore in New York's Times Square on Friday, according to Music Week magazine.

The New York Times has already said their music "sticks to the listener like hair gel" while the Los Angeles Times said they were "a little-bit-mindless but certainly-not-spineless".

Their album was the "pacesetter" on this week's Billboard chart - the title is given to the album with the biggest percentage growth every week.

PLAYERO
01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
i was needing something like this band.
their album is really good.
a very fresh band
kicks ass

David Lee Rocks
01-10-2004, 06:13 PM
I bought the CD this week, i like it more every time i hear it

singerman
01-10-2004, 06:40 PM
yeah they are fantastic arnt they!....they are a very hard working band that dont take themselves seriously!....massive in the U.K at the moment because they like a good laugh and are bloody good musicians....the singers voice is sooo high, i think hes had his balls cut off!!.....seach for one of their tracks on kazaa called "i believe in a think called love" its a classic i assure you!!!

singerman
01-10-2004, 06:41 PM
oops should have been "i believe in a THING called love"...sorry!!

singerman
01-10-2004, 06:52 PM
oh yeah...just had a read of all the other stuff about the darkness.....i really cant believe that alot of the yanks have posted messages saying "are they a serious band?" my god!.. dont you guys get the joke????.....THEY ARE TAKING THE PISS!....HAVING A LAUGH!!!...its just a bunch of guys from 'nowhere' town remembering the funny side of eighties rock that they grew up listening to!!...simple.

flappo
01-12-2004, 06:21 PM
..bring back bad news !

Dave's PA Rental
01-12-2004, 09:52 PM
I like this band...got the CD today and gave it a listen. I think that they are here in the States (David Letterman show on Friday) so if they come to Boston, I will try to go.

One Voice
01-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by singerman
oops should have been "i believe in a THING called love"...sorry!!

Yea this is the video i saw for them.

Mr Badguy
01-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by flappo
..bring back bad news !

Hell yes, now there was a fun band.

Vim could play "Stairway to heaven" when he was 12, Jimmy Page didn`t write it until he was 26.

I think that says a lot.

One Voice
01-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Never heard of these guys, any more info?

Mr Badguy
01-13-2004, 10:22 AM
One of the top British metal acts of the 1980`s.

Played Donington in 1986.

Made one ( now extremely rare but me and flappo own a copy each) album and had two fly-on-the-wall documentaries made about them.

Recorded the definitive cover of "Bohemian rhapsody".

Never get the recognition they deserved.

Time for a comeback.

Mr Grimsdale
01-13-2004, 04:27 PM
they also bummed sir john gielgud into next week

...but that was only a rumour

singerman
01-13-2004, 10:30 PM
bad news were ggggrrreeeaattt......classic lyrics i quote..."cant you hear....black leather......cant you see screaming vengence"...ha ha ha (i kid you not!)..i think it was released on 'frilly pink' records....you know that label,the one just for gay bands

Mr Badguy
01-14-2004, 08:45 AM
More classic Bad News lyrics:

"Ride the rat - nightmare man
Ride the rat - nightmare man
On my masturbike"

"Hello Bill, Chernobyl,
I feel ill, Hospitil,
On my Masturbike"
From "Masturbike"

Real quality.

One Voice
01-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Saw a little bit of The Darkness in concert last night on one
of the music channels.Looked like a fun ass concert to be at.

Diva Lee Roth
01-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I was just reading about these guys in an old Entertainment magazine. It said David Lee Roth is a fan of theirs. I have just heard one song called "Stuck In a Rut" -they are hysterical!!!:D

One Voice
01-22-2004, 08:01 AM
I believe in a thing called love.
Thats their latest i believe.
Its a lot of fun.

SilvioDante
01-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Here is a link to the article about Dave/The Darkness:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/0/384B55D1214AAE6780256DD7004C7F46?opendocument

High Life Man
01-27-2004, 01:01 AM
As posted at DDLR.COM:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Fri 03/26/04 Milwaukee, WI The Rave / Eagles Ballroom

Sat 03/27/04 Chicago, IL Vic Theatre

Sun 03/28/04 Detroit, MI St. Andrews Hall

Tue 03/30/04 Cleveland, OH Peabody's Down Under

Wed 03/31/04 Pittsburgh, PA Club Laga

Fri 04/02/04 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of Living Arts

Sat 04/03/04 Boston, MA Avalon

Sun 04/04/04 Providence, RI Lupo's At The Strand

Tue 04/06/04 Washington, DC 9:30 Club

Thu 04/08/04 Atlanta, GA Cotton Club

Fri 04/09/04 New Orleans, LA House Of Blues

Sun 04/11/04 Houston, TX Engine Room

Mon 04/12/04 Dallas, TX Trees

Tue 04/13/04 Austin, TX La Zona Rosa

Thu 04/15/04 Tempe, AZ Marquee Theatre

Fri 04/16/04 San Diego, CA Canes

Sat 04/17/04 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theatre

Mon 04/19/04 Denver, CO Ogden Theatre

Opening night baby! Looks like i'm going to have to reschedule my trip to Washington DC that weekend.

Foozwah
01-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Vim could play "Stairway to heaven" when he was 12, Jimmy Page didn`t write it until he was 26.

I think that says a lot.

"When I auditioned him, he did a forty-six minute drum solo. I mean, he would have done a lot more, but... I can't stand drum solos..."

Heh.

Mr Grimsdale
01-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by High Life Man
As posted at DDLR.COM:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

how big are those venues?

less than 1000?

flappo
01-27-2004, 05:17 PM
1000 what?

fleas
yes and no

High Life Man
01-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
how big are those venues?

less than 1000?

I know the Eagles Ballroom is pretty big. A few thousand. I saw Coldplay and Tenacious D there and both were sold out.

S.P.G
01-29-2004, 02:10 PM
The darkness' permission to land is a brilliant debut album, but not a patch on van halen 1. Get your hands off of my woman mother f*cker is great. I love them, but have they got staying power?

S.P.G
01-29-2004, 02:11 PM
check out www.thedarknessrock.com
you can view their videos!

flappo
01-29-2004, 02:21 PM
..i like the links page

..brett does anyway

Leandro Pujiz
02-07-2004, 11:56 PM
The best band of 2003...and will be the best band of 2004....

The Darkness Rocks!!!

Mr Grimsdale
02-09-2004, 11:20 AM
growing on me (live), an interview and other stuffhttp://uk.launch.yahoo.com/darkness/

Mr Grimsdale
02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
anyone else seen their new video for Love Is Only A Feeling?

it's like 1989 all over again, shot on this mountain top in australia
fookin' ace, i nearly came over cat deeley too early on saturday morning

i said nearly

Golden AWe
02-16-2004, 06:47 AM
i nearly came over cat deeley too early on saturday morning

i said nearly

you mean "got over"?

Mr Grimsdale
02-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Justin to model next catsuit on Geri's mini dress (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_866867.html?menu=entertainment.showbizquirkies)

Justin Hawkins says his next stage outfit will be a Union Jack catsuit - inspired by the Spice Girls.

The Darkness singer told The Sun that the Union Jack mini dress Geri Halliwell wore to the 1997 Brits had inspired him.

Justin, whose band lead the way at tonight's Brit awards with four nominations, said: "Apparently we're the fastest growing Brit band in the States since the Spice Girls. Maybe Geri's dress may prove an inspiration.

"My stage wardrobe is getting a really big shake-up this year and there's a few things up my sleeve. I'm going in really hard on the catsuit thing.

"I might fly the flag for the country and get myself a Union Jack catsuit for our trip to America this year."

Story filed: 08:50 Tuesday 17th February 2004

Panamark
02-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Darkness lighten up rock music

AP - Retro rockers The Darkness want to lighten up rock music.

So far the London-based band appears to be succeeding with Permission to Land, their Atlantic Records debut CD inspired by '70s and '80s rockers. It features a peculiar mix of songs, about a mythological hellhound, a lover's spat and genital warts.

"We don't do generic music," said bassist Frankie Poullain during a recent interview.

Critics have compared The Darkness and its act to the fictional '80s hair band in the movie parody This Is Spinal Tap.

It's an easy comparison when you take into account Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins' voice, his plunging, chest-baring catsuit and, well, big hair. Then there's the music, a throwback to arena rock, and their over-the-top stage show complete with David Lee Roth-like leg splits.

Fans, among them British Prime Minister Tony Blair, have been snapping up thousands of copies of the album since its US release in September.

It's No 43 on the latest Billboard magazine album chart.

"Many people are calling them a throwback ... to the Led Zeppelin era. But for today, they are wildly unique," said Ron Shapiro, the Atlantic Records co-president who oversees marketing, sales and promotional efforts.

"Part of the fun with The Darkness is the debate: Can it be fun and funny and be legitimate and serious? The Darkness is the answer to that," he said.

Already a hit in England, the band's single I Believe In A Thing Called Love has begun heavy radio rotation in the United States. Its music video - punctuated by laser shooting guitars, a giant crab and a furry monster - also has earned regular play on music television channels.

Although the music may be light, the band is serious about its act.

The people making Spinal Tap comparisons "don't know what we're about," said Hawkins, 28.

"We're not some made up band," Hawkins said. "We write our own songs. We perform our own songs."

The Darkness got its start from the ashes of Empire, a rock band fronted by Hawkins' brother, guitarist Dan Hawkins, and included Hawkins and Poullain.

But Empire fell almost as soon as it was raised.

On New Year's Eve 1999, Justin Hawkins was performing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as part of a karaoke contest when his brother struck on the idea of putting Justin up front. They were soon joined by drummer Ed Graham, 26, and Poullain, 33.

The four chose the name The Darkness because they said it was the opposite of what the music was about - good-time rock.

The band's choice of music was a natural for the four of them, who came of age listening to Queen, AC-DC, Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden.

"With today's music, it's cool to complain and feel sorry for yourself. I can't stand it," Poullain said. "I want to have a good time when I listen to music."

The band says its lyrics are intentionally laced with humour and irony, such as Love On the Rocks With No Ice, but they are songs people can understand. There are no political messages, no double meanings, no questions.

"That's really the art form, isn't it? The songs are a bit timeless," said Justin Hawkins.

The brothers also said they knew what they wanted from the beginning with The Darkness - a focus on showmanship.

For the band, image is everything.

"Who wants to watch some bloke stand there in jeans and a T-shirt and just sing? Your image is your ambition," Hawkins said.

But why catsuits?

"I like catsuits," Hawkins said simply.

By 2002, the band was making so much noise record executives started to listen. The Darkness, which released an EP in 2002, opened on tours for Metallica, Alice Cooper and Def Leppard before releasing their debut album.

Even while seriously discussing themselves, the band members were, well, funny.

"There are bands that are all icing and no cake. We are the cake that gives you icing," said Dan Hawkins, 26.

Graham chimed in: "And we're not cheesecake either."

The debate continued: Carrot Cake. No, chocolate cake. No, rum cake.

Somewhere The Darkness may still debating the answer.

Mr Grimsdale
02-17-2004, 06:12 AM
The Darkness take on the world (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3485827.stm)

The last 12 months have seen British rock band The Darkness shoot to fame in the UK, with four nominations for Tuesday's Brit Awards.
They have sold 1.2 million copies of their debut album, Permission To Land, in the UK - and almost one million elsewhere around the globe. BBC News Online looks at how they have been received in five countries.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Permission To Land has been hovering just inside the US top 50 for several weeks, with sales of 400,000. It is doing well, but by no means taking the country by storm.

But the band have only recently begun their onslaught on the American market, creating a buzz with an appearance on the David Letterman talk show and making the cover of music magazine Spin as one of "the next big things".

In January, the New York Daily News' Jim Farber wrote: "For a while, it looked like the attempt by the Darkness to revive the mousse-metal of '80s bands like Winger and White Lion would threaten only Europe.

"But now the scourge is spreading Stateside - and fast. As a result, the group is the first major breakout act of 2004."

The group have already sold out concerts in Illinois and Ohio six weeks before the start of their US tour. They will need to win over the middle American audiences if they are to do what Oasis and Robbie Williams could not achieve - crack the US market.

GERMANY
Markus Kavka , MTV Germany news presenter:
"They're getting bigger and bigger - they started their tour over here on Thursday and the shows are sold out.

"We played the video right from the beginning - it took people a while to get into it. We've played them five or six times a day so everybody who watches MTV knows The Darkness.

"People with long hair say they're great, and then there's the average pop listener who likes them too, adding that they're funny.

"There's definitely a big metal community over here and at first I thought they were looking at The Darkness as a band being not very genuine - too jokey, too humorous - but they're being taken quite seriously right now."

SOUTH AFRICA
Stephen "Sugar" Segerman, editor of SA Rock Digest:
"The hip dudes in South Africa know about The Darkness and the young guys who are getting into rock are very interested because - like in Britain - it's a new sound.

The Darkness are currently touring Europe and the US
"It doesn't feel like it's as big here yet as it is overseas. But with the right push and a bit of radio play, The Darkness could sell just as many as anybody.

"I think The Darkness is going to become much bigger later on because it takes a while to break through. I think it's a sleeper - I think it's going to take a while before it creeps through here.

"It would be nice if they came and toured here - which is obviously not going to happen - because their live act just blows everybody away, apparently. We're not a big band destination here."

LEBANON
Dany Hrdan, assistant music director of Radio One:
"They are not popular in Lebanon. I've heard of them and we've heard of their songs because I'm in the music business - but people, they don't know them.

"In general, both Arabic and English music is popular. Mariah Carey is coming to Lebanon this month, so big names are very popular here.

"Rock music is also popular - we have a lot of fans of alternative music like Blink-182."

POLAND
Milosz Habura, editor of Nuta music magazine:
"Their Christmas single was really high and you couldn't walk down the street without hearing The Darkness and Don't Let The Bells End (http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/artists/d/darkness/video/darkness_christmas_time.ram). It was really hot and played on many radio stations here.

"I wouldn't say they were the most popular band over here, but there's a lot of sympathy and a lot of good vibes around the music.

"They're attracting people because of their funny image and returning to the 1980s - people are really bored here also with the nu-metal bands and other pretty boring music stuff.

"It's not that the band are unnoticed, but it's not the biggest commercial success in Poland, that's for sure."

flappo
02-17-2004, 07:24 AM
..so i take it grimsdale quite likes the darkness then ?

Mr Grimsdale
02-17-2004, 08:49 AM
i wear my unitard on the jubilee line every morning
the security guards at canary wharf have got quite used it

today, i taste like rice pudding

Mr Grimsdale
02-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Darkness to make impression at the Brits (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_866984.html?menu=entertainment.latestheadlines)

The Darkness are promising to make a big impression when they perform at tonight's Brit Awards.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/84489.jpg

Guitarist Dan Hawkins told XFM: "We'll just get up there and rock out I suppose, although we have got quite an interesting stage set that will leave a few people scratching their heads - it certainly left me scratching my head when I saw it.

"It's going to be fun though. It's a really important thing and we're going to be enjoying the whole thing as much as we can."

Hawkins also said the band had already started work on the follow up to Permission To Land.

"We're totally geared up for the next album. Apart from world domination our objective is writing the second album. We're writing it already and we've already got a few real gems.

"It's one of those things, you've got to strike while the iron is hot and we're pretty creative at the moment.

"You'd think we'd be completely devoid of ideas, but in the two days we spent in the studio in Melbourne we had eight ideas, four of which are almost completed songs and two of which we're going to introduce into the live set quite soon. So we're right on course."

The Darkness are up for four Brit awards - Best British Group, Best British Breakthrough, Best British Album and the newly created Best British Rock award.

Story filed: 11:17 Tuesday 17th February 2004

S.P.G
02-17-2004, 01:47 PM
they gotta win somthin

Mr Grimsdale
02-19-2004, 05:25 AM
PERMISSION TO RECORD! (http://www.nme.com/news/107560.htm)
Triple-BRIT AWARD winners THE DARKNESS have begun work on their second album.

The band, who have just completed their European tour promoting 'Permission To Land, spent two days in the studio on their tour of Australia.

"We've had eight ideas", said frontman Justin Hawkins to XFM. "Four are almost completed songs, and two of which we’re gonna introduce into the live set quite soon. So we’re right on course."

"We’re totally geared up for the next album," commented Hawkins. "Apart from world domination our objective is writing the second album. We’ve already got a few real gems."

He added: "It’s one of those things, you’ve got to strike while the iron is hot. And we’re pretty creative at the moment."

Mr Walker
02-19-2004, 10:10 AM
The new video for 'Love is Only A Feeling' is up at the band's site...
http://www.thedarknessrock.com in the Video section.
Are you OK with the fact that there is no unitard Grim?
Still there is plenty of that wonderful falsetto singing that everyone around here seems to enjoy and get off on.

flappo
02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
..i bet grimmy thought he'd died and gone to heaven

CAT DEELEY IN SUSPENDERS with the darkness playing in the background

..it don't get much better than that

:)

Mr Grimsdale
02-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr Walker
The new video for 'Love is Only A Feeling' is up at the band's site...
http://www.thedarknessrock.com in the Video section.
Are you OK with the fact that there is no unitard Grim?
Still there is plenty of that wonderful falsetto singing that everyone around here seems to enjoy and get off on.

i love the video it is SO late 80's it's untrue
fookin' ace
doesn't matter about the lack of unitard in the video cos' i've got my own now and unitards were never really part of the 80's thing

Mr Grimsdale
02-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by flappo
..i bet grimmy thought he'd died and gone to heaven

CAT DEELEY IN SUSPENDERS with the darkness playing in the background

..it don't get much better than that

:)

poo bobbing (similar to the ye olde englishe halloween custom of apple bobbing) in a bucket of dog eggs comes pretty close

flappo
02-22-2004, 07:01 AM
..ohh you doity fukka™

S.P.G
02-22-2004, 10:14 AM
if brian likes them

i'm convinced

flappo
02-22-2004, 10:41 AM
.me too

..brian's the gratest rock geetarist aboot along w eddie

..no wonder they did an album together !

S.P.G
02-22-2004, 02:17 PM
have you got it flappo.

almost impossible to find!

S.P.G
02-22-2004, 02:19 PM
dave

S.P.G
02-22-2004, 02:20 PM
justin

Mr Grimsdale
02-22-2004, 06:21 PM
ooef mummat

NE169
02-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by S.P.G
have you got it flappo.

almost impossible to find! Glad I got it in '83!

I think it's also on the That's All Folks! 2CD boot, but a big part of Bluesbreaker is cut off :(

Seshmeister
02-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Is it only me that smells hype?

I don`t know how much coverage they get in the states but over here they get as much column inches as the latest boy band.

I don`t like having music forced on me.

Take the best cliches from every band you can think of then mass market it for kids who don`t remember the real thing.

I`m sorry but I don`t think they`re laughing with us but at us.

The Darkness show that it wouldn`t be that good to bring back the late 1980`s and that Nirvana did us all a favour.

I don`t think they will last very long as they have not left themselves any room for musical develpment.

There are lots more exciting bands doing original ideas, not trying to breathe life into a real life Spinal Tap.

Recording a christmas song?

That sucks a mean dick.

This from a YES fan?:D

LOL!

Cheers!

:gulp:

Mr Grimsdale
02-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Hawkins in death threats (http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/040225/340/emwod.html&e=l_news_dm)

(Wednesday February 25, 2004 11:51 AM)

The Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins has called in police after receiving death threats, it has emerged.

Hawkins, still celebrating following the pomp rocker's three Brits at last week's award ceremony, confessed he found the handwritten warning both "scary" and "flattering".

Speaking to a UK tabloid, Hawkins said he received the first letter before the Brits and has since been sent a second. "It was a handwritten letter, it's very weird," he commented.

"It's quite flattering that somebody wants to kill me but at the same time it's very scary. I'm more concerned about my own safety really, you can't go on being nice to everybody because sometimes people take the piss and they start to take liberties."

The singer said detectives are checking the letter for fingerprints, while the band's management are said to have stepped up security around Hawkins, his brother Dan, Frankie Pouillain and Ed Graham.

ashstralia
02-25-2004, 07:37 AM
hey, don't take it so seriously!!!
they are a rockin band with good guitar, isn't that all that matters???
i love 'em, they kicked ass here at the big day out.

ashstralia
02-25-2004, 08:07 AM
mr. badguy, over here in ashtsralia we don't laugh at you. we are with you.
we do, however, have trouble believing that "artists" like "chingy" are in your charts.
(and ours)
what the fuck? right thurr.
anyway, if your band plays guitar (and i'm old enough to remember winger)
you've got a head start in my book.
the darkness are better than 99% of those 80's bands even if it is a joke!!
buy 'no more tears' by ozzy great album.

DLR'sCock
02-29-2004, 07:16 PM
They have good hooks and kool riffs, but that voice on that guy is really grating on my skull....

So, they suck...

Mr Grimsdale
03-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Darkness album strikes gold in US (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3490222.stm)
British rock band The Darkness have taken another step towards success in the US after their debut album reached gold sales status.
Permission To Land has now sold more than 500,000 copies in the US - compared with 1.2 million in the UK.

The band recently won three Brit Awards and are now hoping to emulate their home success around the world.

Their album is number 33 in the US, and much of their US tour - which starts at the end of March - is now sold out.

Digital hit

Their single I Believe In A Thing Called Love was among the most popular new songs added to US radio playlists last week.

And it was number two in the download charts of two of the major digital music services, Napster and Apple iTunes.

Another British rock band, Lostprophets, have also made an impact, entering the US album chart at 33 two weeks ago.

But they both have some way to go before they match the success of other UK exports like Coldplay, who have sold more than three million albums in the US and spent 78 weeks on the chart.

Mr Badguy
03-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
This from a YES fan?:D

LOL!

Cheers!

:gulp:

The cunts are that old that they could be in Yes.

It doesn`t matter anyhow.

There will be a backlash shortly, due to over exposure.

Just like Kiss in the late 70`s.

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 10:38 AM
http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/atlantic/darkness/1003_darkness_a.jpg

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 10:39 AM
http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/atlantic/darkness/0104_darkness_c.jpg

:rolleyes:

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 10:41 AM
http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/atlantic/darkness/0104_darkness_b.jpg

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 10:44 AM
http://us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/atlantic/darkness/0104_darkness_live_b.jpg

Pooftah

LooseMenace
03-11-2004, 11:42 AM
I love 'em, and I don't care who knows it! Admittedly, the falsetto is off-putting after 3 or 4 tracks, but that's only on the first spin. As time goes on (and it always does...), the disc reveals itself to be Einsteinian in its brilliance.

God bless The Darkness. A more timely pie in the face to the music business has never been thrown.
More, please.

Mr Badguy
03-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Jeez, that Leopard skin catsuit is weel gay.

Mr Grimsdale
03-11-2004, 01:19 PM
do leopards have black and white stripes in glasgow?

LooseMenace
03-11-2004, 01:32 PM
:D

After a few pints of the Stout, I'd imagine the stripes come in all sorts of pleasing colors...

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
~Ha!~

:elvis:

Mr Grimsdale
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
HOO!

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Hee!!!

High Life Man
03-11-2004, 02:07 PM
HAW!!

Mr Grimsdale
03-11-2004, 02:08 PM
...went justin in rehearsals

Mr Badguy
03-12-2004, 08:48 AM
do leopards have black and white stripes in glasgow?

Yes.

I made a sporran out of one for my bagpipes.

bukowsky
03-12-2004, 09:35 AM
are you sure they are from the eighties??? I've read they formed on New Year's Eve 1999

saw them as supporter of parts of the Stones tour through Germany. Great band, great attitude. Sounding like back in the late seventhies ... raw and powerful

Mr Grimsdale
03-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Yes.

I made a sporran out of one for my bagpipes.

more bagpipes!
more bagpipes!

Mr Grimsdale
03-15-2004, 04:45 AM
Darkness 'would want £1m for Glasto' (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_890392.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness would reportedly want £1 million to appear at Glastonbury, a year after being paid £75 for opening the festival.

The Daily Mirror quotes Glastonbury promoter Michael Eavis as saying: "It's incredible how much things change in a year.

"When we booked them last year they were just a pub band no-one had heard of. We paid them £75 but they were thrilled to be given the opportunity."

Since then their debut album Permission to Land has sold more than 1.2 million copies in the UK and has gone gold in the US.

A source close to the band told the Mirror: "To play Glastonbury this year, they'd want £1 million. The way they see it, they've worked long and hard to get where they are and feel entitled to make the most of their success."

Mr Walker
03-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Blabbermouth reports: FOO FIGHTERS frontman/ex-NIRVANA drummer Dave Grohl has "reviewed" some of his current favorite recordings for the "Playlist" column in the "Arts" section of today's New York Times. Among the bands Grohl covered were THE PIXIES, THE DARKNESS, MY MORNING JACKET and YEAH YEAH YEAHS. This is what he had to say about THE DARKNESS: "Show of hands: who here misses the days of extended guitar solos, striped leotards, falsetto vocals and songs demanding, 'Get your hands off my woman'? Yeah, me too. THE DARKNESS is here to put that hickey back on your neck, fire up the Camaro and party down at the nearest parking lot like it's 1979. Is the band for real? Yes. Does it rock? Yes. Is it hard to get around the multiple-octave range that Justin Hawkins is ripping in every song? Well, a little, but the band is gaining speed here in the States after selling more than a million copies of 'Permission to Land' (Atlantic) in its native Britain. I'll take THE DARKNESS over those whiny emo bands any day. At least they're getting chicks."-

PHOENIX
03-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr Walker
Blabbermouth reports: FOO FIGHTERS frontman/ex-NIRVANA drummer Dave Grohl has "reviewed" some of his current favorite recordings for the "Playlist" column in the "Arts" section of today's New York Times. Among the bands Grohl covered were THE PIXIES, THE DARKNESS, MY MORNING JACKET and YEAH YEAH YEAHS. This is what he had to say about THE DARKNESS: "Show of hands: who here misses the days of extended guitar solos, striped leotards, falsetto vocals and songs demanding, 'Get your hands off my woman'? Yeah, me too. THE DARKNESS is here to put that hickey back on your neck, fire up the Camaro and party down at the nearest parking lot like it's 1979. Is the band for real? Yes. Does it rock? Yes. Is it hard to get around the multiple-octave range that Justin Hawkins is ripping in every song? Well, a little, but the band is gaining speed here in the States after selling more than a million copies of 'Permission to Land' (Atlantic) in its native Britain. I'll take THE DARKNESS over those whiny emo bands any day. At least they're getting chicks."-

Its nice to see you hanging around here Mr Walker.:D

High Life Man
03-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Just a little more than 3 days to the show!

I think I'll try to sneak in a camera.

ELVIS
03-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Darkness 'would want £1m for Glasto' (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_890392.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness would reportedly want £1 million to appear at Glastonbury, a year after being paid £75 for opening the festival.

The Daily Mirror quotes Glastonbury promoter Michael Eavis as saying: "It's incredible how much things change in a year.

"When we booked them last year they were just a pub band no-one had heard of. We paid them £75 but they were thrilled to be given the opportunity."

That's because they're already near retirement age...

diamond den™
03-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's because they're already near retirement age...

Good For Them. :)

Mr Grimsdale
03-22-2004, 06:59 PM
i like trumpets

Mr Grimsdale
03-25-2004, 04:18 AM
The Darkness move US gigs to larger venues (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_900432.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness are moving a number of their US gigs to larger venues because of the demand for tickets.

Friday's opening show in Milwaukee has been moved from an 800-seat venue to a 3,500-seat venue.

MTV says 13 of the 19 concerts on the tour have been changed to accommodate larger crowds, and all the shows are sold-out.

The tour, in support of the band's Permission To Land album, is due to wrap up in Denver on April 19. The album is currently No.44 in the Billboard US chart.

flappo
03-25-2004, 04:27 AM
..ammazing , dakness on the way up

vh on the way dahn

Mr Grimsdale
03-25-2004, 05:28 AM
just wait, vh will play shepton mallet on the UK leg of their tour

High Life Man
03-25-2004, 01:54 PM

Friday's opening show in Milwaukee has been moved from an 800-seat venue to a 3,500-seat venue.

I'll be there.

The Eagle's Ballroom sucks, but a small price to pay to see royalty.

Tough ticket to get. I got mine for $13, but when they moved to the larger venue, tickets went up to $25. I have friends trying to scalp - tickets are going for $50.

Hoping they expand their US tour and do some outdoor festivals and venues this summer.

LooseMenace
03-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Getcha hands off'a my woman, muthafuckaaah!

I hate I'm gonna miss them on this leg. I'm with you, High Life - if I'm lucky (and, admittedly, I rarely am), they'll pick up a good slot with someone else, maybe, get their 60 minutes over with, and then run out and impregnate all the stuck up Carolina girls I know...
It would be only fitting.

High Life Man
03-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by LooseMenace
maybe, get their 60 minutes over with, and then run out and impregnate all the stuck up Carolina girls I know...
It would be only fitting.

Shit, if they can't, I will.

stringfelowhawk
03-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I bought this cd and I'm happy I did. These guys can play their guitars. I, for one, am glad that someone in music still can. If you don't like the falsetto, and I can see some who don't. Its ok. They are funny and damn good. Justin Hawkins, the lead singer has a similar sense of humor to Diamond Dave. If you can hear his interview about Disturb'd and Stain'd, I had to laugh. Apparently, Bon Jovi doesn't like them so that gives me one more reason to like em.

He made some comment about the Darkness being a joke. Justin Hawkins deadpans, "That's rather disappointing. I wonder what the rest of the cast of Ally Mcbeal thinks"?

That is a classic burn anyway you look at it. !

High Life Man
03-28-2004, 04:56 AM
The show was awesome.

I hope this band can keep it up. They were amazing.

EVH, take note. Remember when rock music ROCKED?

Mr Grimsdale
03-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
I hope this band can keep it up. They were amazing.

what a woofter!

S.P.G
03-28-2004, 05:23 PM
according to the daily people, justin and dan have been in talks with a queen (including mr deacon) on playing with them on a 30th anniversary tour cos brian and the darkness are grate mates!

High Life Man
03-28-2004, 11:18 PM
what a woofter!

Oops.

Mr Grimsdale
03-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Justin Hawkins has giraffe named after
him (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_905373.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness lead singer Justin Hawkins has had a giraffe named after him.

The singer was said to have been amazed when a zoo near his home town of Lowestoft called him at the weekend.

Keepers at the Suffolk Wildlife Park, Kessingland, wanted to know if they could name a newborn giraffe after him.

Hawkins, who is on a US tour with the band, gave it the go-ahead.

He told The Sun: "I said I admired them for sticking their necks out. I'm looking forward to meeting the baby giraffe. We've agreed that I'll get a chance to feed it.

"Dan and I used to go to the zoo as kids so it is a special moment."

The Sun says it follows news that the brothers will have streets in Lowestoft named after them.

Mr Grimsdale
03-29-2004, 03:07 AM
The Darkness are on the (street) map (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_903849.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness are set to have a street named after them in their home town.

Councillors in Lowestoft, Suffolk, want to honour Justin Hawkins and his band after their Brit Awards win.

Waveney District Councillor Wendy Mawer, 62, said the band, who are about to tour the US, loved the idea.

"I have suggested that we name a road after them because three of the band, including Justin, are from Lowestoft.

"I don't think Darkness Close would be very popular but I am keen on Hawkins Close or Hawkins Way.

"Their agent has told us they would be absolutely honoured."

Conservative Councillor Mawer added: "I feel that we should do something to celebrate their success.

"The band have always loudly proclaimed that they come from Lowestoft.

"We are trying to regenerate the area and anything that adds to this has to be positive. They are icons for young people, especially in this area."

Officials in Reading have also said they want to honour TV comic Ricky Gervais by naming a street after him.

Mr Grimsdale
03-29-2004, 07:25 AM
The Darkness and White Stripes top Reading/Leeds bills (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_905676.html)

The Darkness, The White Stripes and Green Day have been announced as the headliners of the Reading and Leeds Festivals.

Morrisey, The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Ash, The Hives, 50 Cent and The Streets are also on the bill.

The Carling Weekend festivals run at Richfield Avenue, Reading, and Bramham Park, near Leeds, from Friday, August 27, to Sunday, August 29.

The Darkness headline the opening night at Reading and at Leeds a day later and will be supported by The Offspring, Ash and The Hives.

The White Stripes are top of the bill on the Saturday at Reading and on Sunday at Leeds and will be supported by Morrisey, the Libertines and Franz Ferdinand.

Green Day will be the top attraction at Reading on Sunday and Leeds on Friday with support from 50 Cent, Lostprophets and The Streets.

Organisers say they will shortly be announcing more big names for the main stage, the Radio One stage, the Carling Stage and the Dance Stage.

Weekend tickets cost £105 including parking and camping while one day tickets are £45.

Orange customers can book tickets by texting "READING TICKETS" or "LEEDS TICKETS" to 07813 895252.

They are also available from www.meanfiddler.com, www.ticketmaster.co.uk or on a national credit card hotline 08701 500 044, as well as Mean Fiddler venues and Gateway Yorkshire at Leeds City Station.

Mr Grimsdale
03-30-2004, 02:43 AM
The Darkness launch blistering attack on Glastonbury Festival (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_906428.html?menu=entertainment.music)

The Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins has launched a blistering attack on the Glastonbury Festival and its organiser after snubbing an invite to perform.

The rock band won't be at the festival this year, choosing to headline the Leeds and Reading festivals instead.

The band opened Glastonbury last year when they were relatively unknown, and festival chief Michael Eavis refused to book them for 2004 because he thought they would be forgotten.

Hawkins said Eavis came back to the band as their fame grew and made them an improved offer to perform, but they were happy to refuse. The band won three Brit Awards in February.

Hawkins told The Sun from the US: "Eavis is a c**k. We don't deal with f***ing a***holes. We were speaking to all the big events before Christmas and Glastonbury was on the list.

"But Eavis said he thought we wouldn't be around for the festival in June. It's his loss."

Hawkins denied rumours the group had asked for £1million to play the Somerset event. "Our decision not to play Glastonbury is nothing to do with cash. Of course we asked for a lot - we're the best band around.

"Michael Eavis is just annoyed that he missed the boat. He came back to us after he realised his mistake. But it was too late. We'd already agreed to do the Carling Festival for a lot less money. So he's lost out."

Of the Glastonbury festival Hawkins said: "Glastonbury is all about sitting in a field and buying funny hats. When I go to a festival it's because I want to see bands and like the line-up. I never went to Glastonbury until we played there. But me and our drummer Ed Graham went to Reading for five years on the trot as fans.

"I would say go to Reading, which is about the music. Don't bother with Glastonbury unless you want to stand in a field and be healed. Reading is about the rock. It's been one of my ambitions to headline Reading. It's part of British musical history. It's legendary. It's the big one," he said.

High Life Man
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Here's a review of the show I was at on Friday...

...and the author actually uses 'rawk.' Fuck this douchebag.

Darkness milks classic-rock cliches, lets laughs roll with unabashed camp
By JON M. GILBERTSON
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: March 27, 2004
Friday night at the Eagles Ballroom, the Darkness came to rawk hard, loud and long. To entertain.

The UK quartet sold out the venue, but that mere bottom-line consideration wasn't proof of successful entertainment. No - that came when lead singer and guitarist Justin Hawkins joined his band onstage in vest and fringed pink chaps (under which he thoughtfully wore trousers).

As one fan noted after seeing Hawkins' outfit, "It's like Spinal Tap," and that affinity - a heavy thesaurus of classic-rock cliches, flipped through for laughs - was evident among the older portion of the crowd. For the teenagers, the attraction was probably that Hawkins and company were a fun "new" experience after years of Korn, P.O.D., Limp Bizkit and all the other angst-infected growlers.

It didn't hurt that the evening's music, as taken from the band's briskly selling debut "Permission to Land," was nothing but busy guitar solos, diabetes-inducing melodies and happy-go-lucky lyrics that, in the case of "Givin' Up," made even heroin addiction sound like a lark in the park.

Delivering those lyrics, Hawkins fully utilized his piercingly strong falsetto and elastic pitch. He also indulged a camp style equal parts vaudevillian and drag queen and shamelessly pilfered fave rawk moves and looks, including David Lee Roth's split kicks, Freddie Mercury's alarming sartorial taste (a red-striped jumpsuit?) and AC/DC guitarist Angus Young's crunchy riffs.

Although the result suggested that combining rock-icon DNA would be inadvisable, it also propelled songs such as the power ballad "Love Is Only a Feeling" and the jaunty "Friday Night" past their own limitations. Listening to "Permission to Land" gets exhausting after about three songs, but watching Hawkins flounce and banter through the same material live was amusingly pleasurable.

Hawkins wasn't so hot at momentum, particularly during the costume changes, when he left his brother and second guitarist Dan Hawkins in charge of killing time. Plus, after about 45 minutes, even the unveiling of the rarely-gets-old single "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was like topping up a meal of cotton candy with . . . more cotton candy. Fortunately, the Darkness stopped before nausea took hold.

Another UK four-piece, the Wildhearts, was a well-chosen opening act: Like the headliner, this band was bombastic, unoriginal and a good time. Coating tight hard rock in sugary Cheap Trick harmonies, the Wildhearts also came to rawk. And did.

From the March 28, 2004 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

High Life Man
03-30-2004, 10:47 AM
BTW - Wildhearts sucked.

Mr Grimsdale
03-31-2004, 02:35 AM
Glasto boss wants The Darkness to say sorry (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_907515.html?menu=entertainment.music)

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis wants The Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins to apologise for saying the festival "rubbished" them.

Hawkins claimed organisers said The Darkness wouldn't be around by the time of this year's festival and refused to book them.

But Mr Eavis said: "There is no suggestion that we rubbished them whatsoever. I hope I can get some kind of apology because he's got it all wrong."

The Sunsays among the big names appearing at this year's event are Oasis, Muse and Paul McCartney.

Mr Grimsdale
04-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Darkness cancel gig after Justin loses voice (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_909098.html)

The Darkness have had to cancel a concert in the US after Justin Hawkins lost his voice.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/81667.jpg

They pulled out of the gig in Cleveland, only two hours before they were due on stage.

Fans were already lining up outside the club when the band made the decision to cancel halfway through their soundcheck.

"I am deeply saddened that we won't be able to play for our fans in Cleveland tonight," Hawkins said in the statement.

"Cleveland is one of the greatest rock and roll cities in the world, and we are all eagerly looking forward to playing our first gig there.

"Unfortunately, it is literally impossible for me to sing at the moment, but we promise to make it up to them just as soon as possible."

It comes just four shows into The Darkness's first full US tour in which all venues have been upgraded because of strong ticket demand.

It is not known whether any more of the band's US dates will be affected.

S.P.G
04-12-2004, 10:22 AM
i just looked at the forum at www.thedarknessrock.com

they should have studied this site before they jumped into creating a board

it shit and and really naff to use!

S.P.G
04-12-2004, 10:25 AM
how comes you haven't joined yet grimsdale?

Mr Badguy
04-12-2004, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
[B]Darkness cancel gig after Justin loses voice (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_909098.html)

The Darkness have had to cancel a concert in the US after Justin Hawkins lost his voice.

Ha Ha

Him losing his voice is a good thing.

Sing higher than Rob Halford my foot.

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by S.P.G
how comes you haven't joined yet grimsdale?

i did many months ago!

Mr Grimsdale
04-12-2004, 05:15 PM
PIGS IN KNICKERS!

tydhurst
04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
They've beenaround in britain for at least nine months with that bloody thing called hype song. It's not good music. Most trendy people use it as a stop-gap because they like Queen and AC/DC and can't think of what to listen to next!!!

Mr Grimsdale
04-22-2004, 04:11 AM
that's cos there is nothing else around at the moment to fill those requirements

stop touching that seal!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-02-2004, 06:51 PM
i bought there new album, Permission to Land. And, its really good! if anyone wants it free of of me, i will email it to u. my email address is no1kissfan@Bellsouth.net. just holler if u want it. or, could u tell me how to upload songs to Rotharmy.com so i can cut out the middle man?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-02-2004, 06:52 PM
no1kissfan@bellsouth.net

MERRYKISSMASS2U
05-02-2004, 07:06 PM
ok

tobinentinc
05-03-2004, 12:08 AM
The Darkness Kick Ass!! Best band releasing stuff today that's mainstreem enough w/ kids. I love 'em.

BITEYOASS
05-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
i bought there new album, Permission to Land. And, its really good! if anyone wants it free of of me, i will email it to u. my email address is no1kissfan@Bellsouth.net. just holler if u want it. or, could u tell me how to upload songs to Rotharmy.com so i can cut out the middle man?

That doesn't make any sense. because that is just stealing material that's already out there. Now if it's unreleased material that would make more sense.

Panamark
05-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Ok, Ive actually heard a few of their songs now, probably half the album. I cant stand the falsetto shit, but that aside, its pretty good stuff. Theres a lot of 70's glam influence in there aswell.
I hope Hawkins drops the falsetto in the future as his voice is cool without the castration notes..

Mr Grimsdale
05-03-2004, 04:56 PM
got yourself a unitard yet?

hot for david
05-06-2004, 12:55 AM
I HATE THEM THEY TRY TO SING N' LOOK LIKE LED ZEPPELIN , they are a stupid assholes , that's what they are , i really hate them .

Mr Grimsdale
05-06-2004, 04:31 AM
good grief mexicans!

Panamark
05-06-2004, 05:59 AM
got yourself a unitard yet?

No, I cant find the store you recommended in Sydney ?

Mr Grimsdale
05-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Who's Sydney?

oh the comedy

High Life Man
05-06-2004, 11:26 AM
IT'S A LANGE STORY!

THE DARKNESS have enlisted the help of a legendary rock producer for the follow-up to PERISSION TO LAND.

AC/DC producer Robert ‘Mutt’ Lange (the husband of Shania Twain) will work with the Lowestoft four-piece when they return to the studio, reports the BBC. The veteran has also worked with Bryan Adams, Def Leppard and Foreigner.

The Darkness have also received praise from Avril Lavigne, who claims that the band are her first choice for a collaboration.

"The Darkness are incredible," she gushed. "Their power is breathtaking and they are the one band in the world I now want to record with. I just can't stop singing their songs."

Published: 06-05-2004-15-50

http://www.nme.com/news/108420.htm

Mr Grimsdale
05-06-2004, 02:30 PM
I know what sort of collaboration I'd have with Avril Lavigne and it would entail the use of...
http://www.boybutterlubes.com/home.html

High Life Man
05-06-2004, 11:39 PM
I know what sort of collaboration I'd have with Avril Lavigne and it would entail the use of...
http://www.boybutterlubes.com/home.html

LMMFAO!

:56k: :D

tobinentinc
06-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Darkness Concert today! Anybody see them live yet? I hear they are awesome. Ill see today.