PDA

View Full Version : White House, Cheney's office, subpoenaed

Steve Savicki
06-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Better late than never.
http://www.yahoo.com/s/614262
The Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office Wednesday for documents relating to President Bush's warrant-free eavesdropping program.

Also named in subpoenas signed by committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., were the Justice Department and the National Security Council.

The committee wants documents that might shed light on internal squabbles within the administration over the legality of the program, said a congressional official speaking on condition of anonymity because the subpoenas had not been made public.

Leahy's committee authorized the subpoenas previously as part of its sweeping investigation into how much influence the White House exerts over the Justice Department and its chief, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

The probe, in its sixth month, began with an investigation into whether administration officials ordered the firings of eight federal prosecutors, for political reasons.

But with senators of both parties already concerned about the constitutionality of the administration's efforts to root out terrorism suspects in the United States, the committee shifted to the broader question of Gonzales' stewardship of Justice and, in particular, his willingness to permit the wiretapping program.

Piquing the committee's interest was vivid testimony last month by former Deputy Attorney General James Comey about the extent of the White House's effort to override the Justice Department's objections to the program in 2004.

Comey told the Judiciary Committee that Gonzales, then-White House counsel, tried to get Attorney General John Ashcroft to reverse course and recertify the program. At the time, Ashcroft lay in intensive care, recovering form gall bladder surgery.

This is a breaking news update. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office Wednesday for documents relating to President Bush's warrant-free eavesdropping program.

Also named in subpoenas signed by committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., were the Justice Department and the National Security Council.

The committee wants documents that might shed light on internal squabbles within the administration over the legality of the program, said a congressional official speaking on condition of anonymity because the subpoenas had not been made public.

FORD
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Take these motherfuckers down. I have this horrible feeling that it's either them or us at this point, and it damn well better be these goddamned war criminals.

Eddie's Booze
06-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Take these motherfuckers down. I have this horrible feeling that it's either them or us at this point, and it damn well better be these goddamned war criminals.

Stop being Paranoid...

:rolleyes:

Guitar Shark
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
There's no way the White House will produce the documents in response to this subpoena. The battle will head to court at some point.

knuckleboner
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
yeah, but i'm damn sure that cheney isn't a part of the judicial system, so i think he's in the clear...:D

FORD
06-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Stop being Paranoid...

Denis, go fuck yourself.

Countdown to banning #8675309

Steve Savicki
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
So Eddie's Booze is Dennis' Drink?

FORD
06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah..... just call it Panda Piss. ;)

Steve Savicki
06-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I wonder how he got his hands on a computer... hasn't he been IP banned multiple times?

ODShowtime
06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
This is a pleasing development.

Ellyllions
06-28-2007, 07:15 AM
I have no problem with this...other than....

I want it investigated. Cheney has no legal ground to stand on to say that his office isn't part of the Executive Branch. They need to get their shit together and follow procedure. And if they have nothing to hide they shouldn't be worried.

BUT, I want this investigated completely secret. No press, no pandering to the political elections. I want it done behind closed doors with a verdict to be announced without question, then I want the documents of the proceedings sealed for at least 10-20 years.

IF there is danger to the National Security in ANY WAY it needs to be done this way. And if any Civil rights have surely been violated then prosecute to the highest margin.

But, if the details of this ends up splattered across newspapers and party pul-pits with no resolution of any kind, or turned into another "conspiracy" theory yet everyone walks free...then we're just asking for danger.

Plus we don't need this kind of embarassment mounded atop the rest of our shit for naught.

If they're gonna do it, I'll support whatever conclusion they come to as long as they do it with class and with REAL concern for the Nation as a whole.

eddie78
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
These fuckers just change the rules as they go along.
Why does Gonzales still have a job?
Why is that entire administration still allowed to bend us over again & again, in the name of freedom or whatever other garbage they think we'll believe?
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld...all mass murderers.
Vile creatures pretending to be deeply spiritual.
Bush is an alcoholic coke fiend that has Daddy issues.
Worst fucking president in history, in my book.
Couldn't be worse, yet he always finds some way to drag himself even lower.

Nitro Express
06-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by FORD

Dude. The GOP can't even stand them anymore. Remember the last election? These guys have no base to stand on. If anything, they will just run off to Dubai after they are thrown out of office or their term ends. Which ever come first.

Nitro Express
06-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by eddie78
These fuckers just change the rules as they go along.
Why does Gonzales still have a job?
Why is that entire administration still allowed to bend us over again & again, in the name of freedom or whatever other garbage they think we'll believe?
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld...all mass murderers.
Vile creatures pretending to be deeply spiritual.
Bush is an alcoholic coke fiend that has Daddy issues.
Worst fucking president in history, in my book.
Couldn't be worse, yet he always finds some way to drag himself even lower.

Well, we got rid of Rumsfeld. His Aspartame artifical sweetner is still on the market giving people cancer and brain tumors but at least we got him out of the Pentegon. Kind of like getting the bull out of the china shop after everything has been destroyed.

FORD
06-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Actually, Rummy the Dummy still has an office at the Pentagon. Remember PNAC Perle and KKKarl Rove "resigned" too. It means nothing to these bastards.

eddie78
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
So true.
It's like this group of evil frat boys have taken over the damn country.
They all got one another's backs at the expense of the rest of us.
I remember when Bush first "won" the election, and Al Gore conceded.
My Dad siad to me, "Kid, this is bad. This is very, very bad."
At the time, i thought, "Ahh, the old man is just overeacting as a lifelong Democrat."
Man, was he right, though...

ace diamond
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Stop being Paranoid...

Great fucking Black Sabbath record. Classic.

Nitro Express
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by eddie78
So true.
It's like this group of evil frat boys have taken over the damn country.
They all got one another's backs at the expense of the rest of us.
I remember when Bush first "won" the election, and Al Gore conceded.
My Dad siad to me, "Kid, this is bad. This is very, very bad."
At the time, i thought, "Ahh, the old man is just overeacting as a lifelong Democrat."
Man, was he right, though...

Yeah and the frathouse is the Skull Bones and Bohemian Club.