PDA

View Full Version : So what about the new VELVET REVOLVER album?

Mr Badguy
07-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I got it today.

On first listen, I`ve got to say that it was worth the wait.

Could be better than "Contraband"!

A real Rock n Roll album.

binnie
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
These days, when Kerrang gives something a shitty review I generally take it to mean that it's pretty good!

That's certainly the case with "libertad", which is a lot more instantly likeable than "Contraband", which was a grower.

I'd also say that whilst it's less aggressive, it's also a lot rawer both in the guitar tones, and the produciton, which seems sparser: they're aren't as many effects on Weilands vocals, nor are there layers of guitars. Then end result is that there is more space between each instrument, which gives the album a real groove: it feels like four guys playing rock n roll.

Also, most of Weilands lyrics seems to make sense on first listen (the ones on the last album were either cryptics, or drug addled) and he actually bothered to write decent hooks for almost every song this time.

Yep, a great record through and through. Dirty, bluesy and sleezy with a schizo bite from Weiland. Love it.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Haven't got it yet...I think my dad ordered some Japanease edition online or summfin...

But judging by the material they played live, its gonna be good.

Looking forward to a winter tour (surely, they'll do one now the album is actually out).

Eyes of the Night
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I was planning on getting it ... sooner than later;)

Matt White
07-02-2007, 10:24 PM
HA!!!

I'll get it...tomorrow

GRATE band

jharp84
07-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Haven't got it yet...I think my dad ordered some Japanease edition online or summfin...

But judging by the material they played live, its gonna be good.

Looking forward to a winter tour (surely, they'll do one now the album is actually out).

What???? I can get the fucker in the states for $9.99 first week of release! We need to start a fuckin trade sector here at the DLR ARMY! So we all can get value for money! No I am not talkin bootleg corner! But for new releases! One buys! One burns! Some trade/send $1.00 or $2.00 etc.etc. Send for postage and I will burn any official release! Thoughts?????

Dave2007
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
fuck those pussies!!!trust me I saw guns n roses on lots of drugs,and this band doesnt pass the acid test ha ha ha.anyway I will never give them another dime after the way David Lee Roth was dissed by these hasbeens at the spam and michelle hall of shame.Dave gave gnr their start opening up some of his Steve Vai Billy Sheehan era shows as some of you may recall,and they paid him back by spitting in his face and yours if you are a fan of Dave and Classic VH.Fuck Them!

binnie
07-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Bound to be, either late this year or early next.

It'll be arenas this time though.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Dave2007
fuck those pussies!!!trust me I saw guns n roses on lots of drugs,and this band doesnt pass the acid test ha ha ha.anyway I will never give them another dime after the way David Lee Roth was dissed by these hasbeens at the spam and michelle hall of shame.Dave gave gnr their start opening up some of his Steve Vai Billy Sheehan era shows as some of you may recall,and they paid him back by spitting in his face and yours if you are a fan of Dave and Classic VH.Fuck Them!

Tell me...how did they "diss" DLR/CVH. You know, after playing all of a CVH song and about 2 secondds of a Hagar song?

Its not THEIR fault Dave, Ed and Al didn't show up.

Wawazat
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
On first listen, it's a solid album, don't know if it'll "grow" yet.

Hyman Roth
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Dave2007

5 stars!!

binnie
07-05-2007, 08:58 AM
The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

They've certainly grown together and this sounds like a band with an assured sense of self-identity. It's certainly not a sub-standard version of their previous bands, which is what a lot of "supergroups" end up being.

They've been listening to a lot of Cheap Trick, I hear it in the melodies.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Finally arrived yesterday.

Excellent...definatley an improvement on Contraband (on first listen anyways...)

So far, my favourite is "The Last Fight". I can see it being the next single.

Good bonus DVD of a performance in Brazil as well.

binnie
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I like the bonus DVD too. Surprised how coherent Weiland is in conversation, he is on the "making of" the album segment as well.

The arrangement on "The Last Fight" is so unusual, I wasn't expcting anything like that.

So far, my favourites would be She Mine or Spray...

78/84 guy
07-07-2007, 03:50 AM
A great rock & roll record !! We don't get to say that to much about any new cd these days, Slash is a great riff writer !! case closed.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
What???? I can get the fucker in the states for $9.99 first week of release! We need to start a fuckin trade sector here at the DLR ARMY! So we all can get value for money! No I am not talkin bootleg corner! But for new releases! One buys! One burns! Some trade/send $1.00 or $2.00 etc.etc. Send for postage and I will burn any official release! Thoughts?????

I am not up for burning and sending.... but I am all for a rotharmy bittorrent tracker.

DeadOrAlive
07-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Another stellar contribution by Duff "Rose" McKagan.

Golden AWe
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
What is that little instrument that keeps ticking in "American Man"? The solo is grate on that same song.

I didn't get the whole album now. It's like the first album, some very good songs, but overall, a bit boring at times. Still a good rock album.

Btw, Duff McKagan is still probably the coolest rocker of today, if you think of bands that strated their mainstream career after the 70's and drop the obvious Keith Richards etc...and he doesn't even drink anymore!

DeadOrAlive
10-15-2007, 02:19 AM
I know dude, he just keeps at it.

I saw VR in tour I think 4 weeks ago. I was on the floor literally 5 feet from Duff and Slash and Weiland. Dude the drugs and alcohol hit Duff hard man, very tough. Yet he can still kick ass. You can really feel the bass hitting you at their shows.

It was a GREAT show. Right underneath David Lee Roth (I met the fucker, it was the highlight of my life.)

I would pay to see VR play again.

Panamark
10-15-2007, 02:33 AM
I think I will look for some old Metal Church CD's..

GODS OF ROTH !! (Cool song that one)

Thanks just the same..

Anyone involved with the botched HOF induction
is no longer part of my world..

I'm sure they couldn't give a shit..
So its all good, all mutual.....

DeadOrAlive
10-15-2007, 03:00 AM
hahahhaha METAL CHURCH!!!! Oh mate, now that's going back. Shit I haven't listened to them in SO long. Man I might have to go and check them out again.

binnie
10-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Another stellar contribution by Duff "Rose" McKagan.

Originally posted by Golden AWe

Btw, Duff McKagan is still probably the coolest rocker of today, if you think of bands that strated their mainstream career after the 70's and drop the obvious Keith Richards etc...and he doesn't even drink anymore!

Yup, Duff is a cool motherfucker! I've met him twice now, and he just oozes cool when you talk to him, seemed like a decent guy too.

Matt Sorum is also a very nice guy, and when I met him he had one of the hottest women I have ever seen on his arm.