PDA

View Full Version : Bonds says he'll retire after next season

lucky wilbury
05-05-2004, 01:33 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4902332/

Bonds says he'll retire after next season
Unfazed by BALCO investigation, Giants star says he's ready to do something else

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:12 p.m. ET May 04, 2004

NEW YORK - Barry Bonds insists the swirling steroids scandal doesn’t bother him, but that he's already looking toward life after baseball.

“It doesn’t faze me at all,” the San Francisco slugger said.

Leading the majors with 10 homers and a .463 batting average, Bonds brushed aside questions Tuesday night about the drug-distribution case in which his personal trainer, Greg Anderson, has been indicted.

“There isn’t anybody investigating me, as far as I know,” Bonds said. “I ain’t being investigated.”

At one point, Bonds even lifted his T-shirt to reveal his stomach.

“Do I look like I got ripped abs?” he said.

Bonds entered the three-game series at Shea Stadium only 88 homers from breaking Hank Aaron’s record of 755. But he claimed he wanted to leave the game after next season, regardless where he stands on the home-run list.

“I want to leave. I want to do something else,” he said.

Bonds declined to say exactly what else he’d like to do. But as he approaches 40 this July, he said he’d like to spend more time watching his two daughters and one son grow up.

Bonds said he wasn’t worried about an asterisk tarnishing his accomplishments — his six MVP awards and 668 career home runs.

“My records aren’t going anywhere,” he said, “I’ll be fine, trust me.”

Anderson is one of four men charged in an alleged ring involving the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. All four have pleaded innocent and no athlete has been charged.

Bonds repeatedly has denied using illegal steroids. There is one supplement he does take.

Pointing to the top of his locker, he said, “I have creatine right up here.”

Out of the starting lineup against the New York Mets with a sinus infection, Bonds spent 45 minutes at his locker talking about possibly retiring after the 2005 season, his future and George Steinbrenner.

Sniffling to suppress his cold, he laughed at times and bristled at others, particularly when pressed about BALCO and Anderson.

“He’ll always be a friend of mine. Always. We grew up together,” Bonds said.

More than halfway through the session, Bonds cackled and added this caveat: “Half the stuff I say, I don’t believe.”

At his current pace, Bonds might break Aaron’s mark before next season is over. But if he’s close, Bonds said he likely would not be tempted to return.

“Probably not,” he said. “Don’t need to.”

Bonds is signed through the 2006 season. But if he does not reach 500 plate appearances next season, the Giants can void the final year of his contract — he’s set to make $18 million in 2006.

If Bonds reaches 1,500 plate appearances combined from 2003 to 2005, including 400 or more in 2005, the Giants lose their right to void the deal. Despite that, Bonds would not gain the right to walk away from his contract.

“I don’t try to predict the future,” he said.

Bonds said he’d be amenable to becoming a designated hitter someday, meaning a shift to the American League.

“DH is fine for me,” he said, adding he’d want to do it for a California team.

So does he see any chance of joining Steinbrenner’s collection of stars at Yankee Stadium?

“If George wanted me, he would’ve paid for me a long, long time ago,” he said. “I’m a bad influence for George, I guess.”

After he’s done playing, Bonds said he wants to stay involved in baseball, on his own terms.

“I’ll probably go help college kids,” he said. “I don’t want to coach, I just want to help.”

For now, though, Bonds has plenty of games left. And while many people track his home runs, others are wondering whether he could become the first big leaguer to hit .400 since Ted Williams in 1941.

“I’ve never seen it done. It’s too difficult,” he said. “It could possibly be done, but it’d take a lot.”

Bonds said a lot has changed on and off the field since Williams achieved the feat. Along with more hectic travel schedules, there are different strategies — opponents using more pitchers, plus intentional walks.

Bonds had drawn 44 walks, including 22 intentional passes, in the Giants’ first 26 games. He said the game still was fun despite teams taking the bat out of his hands.

“Pick your poison,” he said. “You can walk me or see it go.”

redblkwht
05-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah cause he's gonna be busted soon..
Look at Macguires build now, what a liar
roid freak for sure.

Bob_R
05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Bonds is an arrogant asshole.

alexpgrimes
05-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Maybe his heart will explode and he'll die.. Just a thought.

tobinentinc
05-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Thank God, Bonds is a piece of shit! He gets too much attetion for hitting home runs. That's all you hear about Bonds # w/e. They should focus on more well rounded players like Brian Giles.

High Life Man
05-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
Maybe his heart will explode and he'll die.. Just a thought.

I like the way you think.

High Life Man
05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by tobinentinc
They should focus on more well rounded players like Brian Giles.

Or Scott Podsednik. Hell of a leadoff hitter and hustler.

VH LINKS SUCKS
05-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Glad this jackass was exposed for the pill popping, steroid injected moron he truly is! You won't be missed Bonds!;)

Bill Lumbergh
05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
He's still one of the most feared hitters ever, roids or not. You can't teach the skills he has. Barry is the man.

Bill Lumbergh
05-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by tobinentinc
Thank God, Bonds is a piece of shit! He gets too much attetion for hitting home runs. That's all you hear about Bonds # w/e. They should focus on more well rounded players like Brian Giles.

Brian Giles?! LMFAO..........Bonds before aging was one of the greatest all around players EVER! Why would they focus on a second rate hack like Giles.

Bill Lumbergh
05-06-2004, 11:48 PM
And he ain't retiring ANYTIME SOON.