PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner "Final Cut" is Coming

Hardrock69
07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/518H51DAV4L._SS500_.jpg

Source: Warner Home Video
May 26, 2007

Warner Home Video (WHV) announced today that it has acquired worldwide rights to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and plans two new DVD releases of the futuristic classic. Rights had lapsed a year ago, but negotiations for a long-term license have now been completed, and the film will again be available to the public.

First, a restored and remastered DVD version of the 1992 Director's Cut will debut in September in the U.S. for a special four-month limited release, after which it will be placed on moratorium by WHV.

Later in 2007, to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary, the studio will unveil "Blade Runner: The Final Cut," Scott's definitive new version of his science-fiction masterpiece. The film will be released theatrically in select major U.S. cities, followed by a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will also contain three alternate versions of Blade Runner: the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut, the Expanded International Theatrical Cut and the 1992 Director's Cut. Ample, ground-breaking bonus features will also be included.

In making the announcement, Jeff Baker, WHV's Senior VP and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, said: "This is clearly Ridley's signature film and we are thrilled to have it back. While details of the new DVDs will be announced later, we wanted to get this great news to the many serious film buffs and ardent 'Blade Runner' fans who've been so patient, despite besieging us with thousands of annual requests in recent years for new 'Blade Runner' DVDs."

Continued Baker, "A number of people have told me that in the start-up days of DVD, 'Blade Runner' was absolutely the first DVD title they wanted, so much so that they purchased it even before their first DVD player! I guarantee these fans our new DVDs will be well worth waiting for."

Blade Runner -- starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah -- made its first appearance in U.S. theaters on June 25, 1982, dazzling audiences with its stylish, brooding look into the future. From its intelligent, provocative story line to its stunning camera work and state-of-the-art special effects, Blade Runner opened the door to a new view of tomorrow.

Set in a multi-ethnic, overcrowded, high-tech city of the future, Blade Runner was also a benchmark in production design and helped propel the "cyberpunk" look into mainstream American consciousness.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14724

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_hYs1jBy8Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_hYs1jBy8Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

INTERVIEW WITH RUTGER HAUER:

Rutger Hauer cuts to the quick about 'Blade Runner'
by Louis R. Carlozo
Chicago Tribune (MCT)
25 June 2007
http://www.popmatters.com/images/news_art/b/bladerunner-hauer-01.jpg

Internet chat rooms and DVD Web sites have buzzed with speculation about when the next edition of Blade Runner will come out, what it will look like, and how it will enrich the mystique surrounding Ridley Scott’s Oscar-nominated sci-fi thriller starring Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Rutger Hauer.

It seems odd, considering that just this last September, Warner Home Video’s director’s cut seemed to offer the last word on this 1982 cult classic, inspired by Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

In Scott’s vision, Ford’s narration and the uplifting finale of the original theater version vanish—subtle changes yielding a vastly different movie.

What else is left to tweak?

The suspense is tantalizing Blade Runner fans everywhere, a fact not lost on Hauer, who played the menacing, spiky blond android Roy Batty. We spoke with Hauer, 63, who has just released his memoir, All Those Moments (HarperCollins).

The Netherlands native talked about Blade Runner‘s storied history, his successful run in Hollywood and future prospects that might just be stranger than science fiction.

Q: First the big question: There has been much rumor and speculation about a definitive new DVD version of Blade Runner. What can you tell us?

A:It will be theatrically released in the fall, in September, and the DVD box will come after that runs out.

Q: Any hint as to what’s new about this version?

A: I don’t know. They couldn’t show me. They were still working on it when I did an interview for the film half a year ago. They had to cut through the red tape (to show me what was going on) and I have only so much time for red tape.

Q: When you made Blade Runner, did you have a feeling you were involved in one of those pivotal films that can change a career and a genre?

A: I had a sense that it was special, but you never know that until the audience tells you—and what a way to tell you. I think it’s pretty amazing that it holds up so long—and pretty wonderful. With DVDs and the digital technology these days, we have such means to prolong the life of these things. My whole career has been prolonged by this and television.

Q: In your book, you talk about taking to the sea at age 15 on a Dutch freighter to see the world, and being a rebellious kid. Any regrets looking back?

A: I was just having fun and was on the streets a lot. I was discovering the world then. God, who knows? I wasn’t raised religiously and guilt doesn’t really live here. I’m really happy the way it went.

Q: What dream projects remain on the horizon for you?

A: Most of them come from German remakes that I think would do great in the English language, if you just could readapt them, or Dutch literature, that are so beautiful. The rest of it pretty much depends on what people are planning to bring out and, “Is there any possibility for me here?”

Q: Aside from Blade Runner, what films in your canon rank among your favorites?

A: Ladyhawke is definitely up there. Wanted Dead or Alive, The Blood of Heroes and my little fling with comedy, Wedlock ... The Hitcher was a landmark and Sin City and Batman Begins were extremely different, but both comic-book based stories. I’ve never been in two films in the same year—and they were both in the No. 1 spot for quite some time. And they’re films that made a lot of money—and I just happened to be in them, which is not bad. ... I think four of my movies are brilliant and the rest are very entertaining, or very good—and some of them are really (awful).

Q: A lot has been made about changes in Hollywood since the 1970s. What’s your take?

A: It’s hard to make a good movie now. And films are real estate. Other people decide what’s going to go. The art of filmmaking is in trouble when some people think, “Why do you need art?” Well, some of us do.

Q: Offscreen, you’ve gained notice for your environmental work and being dubbed one of People magazine’s Sexiest Men Alive. How does the attention strike you?

A: I tend to shy away from the public eye pretty much, because why does everyone need to know everything? The environment, it’s not a PR job for me. But the sexiest man alive? That’ll go a long way! Don’t touch it. People say funny stuff, you know.

Q: You’re fascinated by the Internet and the possibilities it holds for cinema’s future. If an offer came along to do a Web-only film, would you do it?

A: I’d be very interested. A couple of years ago, I connected with people making a show on the Internet and I said, “Why not let me in there to do a little work?” It never went anywhere—and the show became really big—but it’s still very exciting. Maybe there’s a new medium that is coming our way, not just Blu-Ray disc, but something you can (stream) at home. The system of releasing and making films is sort of walking on its last legs. It’s not going to last more than 50 years and we’ll have to find something else.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/news/article/43166/rutger-hauer-cuts-to-the-quick-about-blade-runner/

There is a listing for it on the British Amazon website (with no real details yet):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-25th-Anniversary-Final/dp/B000G8NPWQ

Nickdfresh
07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
This looks fucking kewl man. I'll be getting it...

VanHalener
07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Kick ass flick! Can't wait to see the remastered version.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57PlaJw411Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57PlaJw411Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Terry
07-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Would have been cool to have the Workprints that were in the San Diego and Dallas sneak previews thrown in there, too, but have been waiting for this stuff for so long (this dvd release has been in development for 5 fucking years) that I'll take what I can get.

Coyote
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
three alternate versions of Blade Runner: the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut, the Expanded International Theatrical Cut and the 1992 Director's Cut. Ample, ground-breaking bonus features will also be included.

And there's the reason why I'll buy this...

Redballjets88
07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
ill get it too

KATYDID'S MINGE
07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
"ill get it too"???

Do you understand contractions?

Redballjets88
07-06-2007, 02:46 PM
do you understand that this is an internet forum not a college term paper?

KATYDID'S MINGE
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Do you understand you wouldn't make it through college?

Redballjets88
07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
alright back to blade runner since that bitch ruined the thread

i can't wait for it to come out, and i wonder if they will do this for the mad max series

Terry
07-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Only one out of the Mad Max series I REALLY dug was the Road Warrior.

Mad Max was good.

Beyond Thunderdome...not so much.

Terry
07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
And there's the reason why I'll buy this...

Expanded International Cut is virtually the same as the original US theatrical release, only with a bit more violence thrown in.

I dig all three versions, but am glad this set is coming out, as all that has been readily available for years now is the Director's Cut, and it was a bitch a few years back trying to get the other versions, which I did manage to find but only as fullscreen VHS releases.

Mr Badguy
07-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Not before time.

I love that film.

Hardrock69
07-08-2007, 04:41 AM
"If you could see the things I've seen....."

I saw the original screening of the Director's Cut at moviet heater in West Hollywood...Rutger Hauer was there to make a speech after the screening.

I was able to say hello (quietly) as he waited in a seat towards the back of the theater.

I want to see as expanded a version as possible.

I know the movie is a quality film, and I want as much of that fucker as I can get.

The thing I will start out with though is Ridley Scott's final Director's Cut. I have the original version on VHS I think.

One of the true classics in Sci-Fi film.

I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!

Funny, the first thing they are releasing is a remastered 1992 Director's Cut, yet that very thing is included in the Final Cut Edition later in the year.

I would love to see it on a big screen again.

Hope it plays here when they do the theatrical release.

POJO_Risin
07-08-2007, 04:57 AM
From what I understand...some of the actors in the past couple of years...have redone some of the scenes...

I'm not sure where I saw that...but I know there were callbacks...which should be interesting...

Hardrock69
07-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Heah Mistah...yoo won hi-def movie postah?

Yoo klickee klickee on da link, hokay Mistah?

998 X 1500 266kb
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

Heah...wallpapah call "Sunset At Tyrel Corporation":

http://www.cinepatas.com/forum/album_mod/upload/b2b1372986a5b0b9d7e875a320741fe2.jpg

One more, Mistah!!

http://www.publispain.com/wallpapers_peliculas/Blade_Runner.jpg

Something I noticed....I have the DVD of the 1992 Director's Cut, so I put it in and looked around for some good frames to do a screen cap of Sean Young (drool).

The DVD is a really dirty print transfer. It is astonishing to watch it and see little momentary spots, bits of hair, and other shit that is on the negative they did the transfer from.

I will certainly buy the DVD when it comes out....I hope they will have completely cleaned up the visual part.

I love Ridley Scott as a director, because his films are very lush visually.

Blade Runner was great on a visual level, as was the Alien film he did, and look at Gladiator.

It is no wonder he is one of the greatest directors in cinema today.

We need more directors on his level.

:cool:

Hardrock69
07-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
From what I understand...some of the actors in the past couple of years...have redone some of the scenes...

I'm not sure where I saw that...but I know there were callbacks...which should be interesting...

Wow. I had not heard that.

This oughta be cool!
:cool:

Anonymous
07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I've been meaning to get this movie on DVD. Glad I never really got around to it.

I REALLY want that Final Cut shit.

Cheers! :bottle:

Redballjets88
07-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
I've been meaning to get this movie on DVD. Glad I never really got around to it.

I REALLY want that Final Cut shit.

Cheers! :bottle:

yeah thats how i am, i go to best buy get 3 or 4 movies and for some reason none of them are ever blade runner.

WARF
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I had this on VHS awhile back, and I was fucking pissed they removed the voiceover, and ruined the film noir. This was one of the great sci-fi masterpieces of all-time. I've been meaning to get this on dvd for awhile now.... this is great news.

Hardrock69
07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Maximum 6 months, kids, and we will all have Final Cut copies in our greedy little hands....

:D

And I can drool over Sean Young with nice clean and sharp remastered Freeze Frame!

http://www.devo.com/bladerunner/sector/1/pics/rachel.jpeg

http://www.brmovie.com/Images/Characters/Rachael/BR_Rachael_Owl.jpg

LMAO! Check this out from March of last year:

Sean Young Causes Pandemonium After Crashing Party
By WENN | Wednesday, March 08, 2006

HOLLYWOOD - Controversial actress Sean Young caused pandemonium when she crashed the Vanity Fair Oscar party by sneaking past security during the excitement of Jennifer Aniston's arrival.

Young, 46, followed closely behind Aniston after she arrived at the event and skipped past photographers, madly dashing inside, sparking a frenzy among event organizers.

Organizers yelled at security guards and quickly barked orders into headphones, describing what the actress was wearing, so she could be tracked down inside the party.

Security refused to let anyone else inside the party until the Blade Runner actress was found.

A mere ten minutes later, Young was apprehended and thrown out the back door.

She is no stranger to controversy in Hollywood, having been sued by actor James Woods for stalking him and parading around Hollywood in a catsuit to unsuccessfully lobby for the part of Catwoman in Batman Returns.

http://dullard.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html