PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page to tour with The Yardbirds but not with Jeff Beck

katie
07-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Reported in billboard link here -

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003614906

Contradicting a published report, Jeff Beck's manager tells Billboard.com the guitarist has no plans to tour with Jimmy Page, Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty as the Yardbirds this fall.

Beck's manager says "there is no truth to any rumors" regarding Beck's role in the potential reunion. The artist finishes a European tour tonight (July 20) and will play Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival in Chicago in August, but has no further touring on his schedule for the rest of the year at this time.

Page and Beck played together in the Yardbirds briefly in 1966; the band split up two years later, but Dreja and McCarty have toured under the name for the past two decades. That incarnation of the outfit, which also includes several much younger musicians, has U.S. tour dates booked through late August.

The Yardbirds' original lead singer, Keith Relf, was electrocuted to death in 1976. The core group has only played once since disbanding, at the 1992 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Jérôme Frenchise
07-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm surprised with Page's move here, even more than I was with Iggy Pop reuniting the Stooges.
But well, when you've done everything, from playing thousands of guitar solos for such and such band throughout the sixties, led the greatest rock band in history, whatever choice you make must be for pleasure, I guess.

As for Jeff Beck, he's famous for being a complicated man; but the reason why he won't tour with that version of the Yardbirds can't be his relationship with Jimmy Page: both get on damn well with each other.
Nonetheless, it's startling that he tours with Clapton but won't with "Pagey". I have to disagree with Jeff here, but he just fucking does what he wants... :cool:

Hardrock69
07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Beck is SO beyond what the Yardbirds were doing. It would be a major leap backwards for him to go out and do an oldies tour like that.

Terry
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Plus, guitar-wise, Beck would walk all over Page without even trying to.

Just the thought of a Yardbirds reunion nowadays is cringe-worthy.

ODShowtime
07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't really see the point.

rustoffa
07-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Beck is SO beyond what the Yardbirds were doing. It would be a major leap backwards for him to go out and do an oldies tour like that.

I honestly believe he is beyond anything he choses to do. None of his cuntemporaries have the balls to record stuff like the "jeff", and "You Had It Coming" efforts. He destroyed elaborate DJ effects/equipment with one guitar. The chick that did the vocals on the cover of "Rollin' And Tumblin" (Imogen Heap?) said his guitar playing scared her...."Humbled isn't the word.....I was frightened."
:D

David Lee Rocks
07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
well Robert Plant probably told him to fuck off so hes just doin the next best thing

Terry
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
well Robert Plant probably told him to fuck off so hes just doin the next best thing

Think even a Coverdale/Page reunion would be more desired than a Yardbirds reunion.