PDA

View Full Version : Is Your ISP Inserting Ads Into Webpages Before They Get To Your Computer?

Hardrock69
07-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Overview:

Last month we learned on Slashdot that:

"Some ISPs are resorting to a new tactic to increase revenue: inserting advertisements into web pages requested by their end users. They use a transparent web proxy (such as this one) to insert javascript and/or HTML with the ads into pages returned to users."

Have you wondered how often this is happening? And whether it's happened to you?

The University of Washington security and privacy research group and ICSI have created a measurement infrastructure to help answer these questions. By visiting our web page, you are helping out with our experiment. (Thank you!) In the process, we'll help you figure out if some "party in the middle" (like your ISP) might be modifying your web content in flight. We also plan to share our overall results with the public.

http://vancouver.cs.washington.edu/

Little Lamont
07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Sure is nice to have a Mac. Poor Windows users get shit on every day by viruses, spyware and now this.

Hardrock69
07-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Does not matter. The problem is the ISP inserting advertising into the web page coding, regardless of OS.

lonnieg5
07-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Does not matter. The problem is the ISP inserting advertising into the web page coding, regardless of OS.

What he said.

Jesus Christ
07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Thank Dad that My "Cherubim With Flaming Swords" firewall is still holding up.

GO HUSKIES!!

Little Texan
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
Sure is nice to have a Mac. Poor Windows users get shit on every day by viruses, spyware and now this.

Fuck a Mac...you couldn't pay me to own a fucking Mac!

lonnieg5
07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
What's wrong with Macs, Little Texan? I'm not taking sides, I'm just curious.

Little Lamont
07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Fuck a Mac...you couldn't pay me to own a fucking Mac!

Some folks don't like to dive Mercedes either. There's no accounting for bad taste, hillbilly.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Mac or bust for me, sorry.

UNIX underpinnings and beautiful GUI. I could not ask for anything better.