PDA

View Full Version : $100 laptop' production begins

Hardrock69
07-27-2007, 09:26 AM
By Jonathan Fildes
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

Students at a school in Nigeria
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44015000/jpg/_44015059_galadima_416.jpg

Five years after the concept was first proposed, the so-called $100 laptop is poised to go into mass production.

Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.

Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders for 3m laptops to make production viable.

The first machines should be ready to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.

"There's still some software to write, but this is a big step for us," Walter Bender, head of software development at One Laptop per Child (OLPC), told the BBC News website.

The organisation has not said which countries have bought the first machines.

Silencing critics

Getting the $100 laptop to this stage has been a turbulent journey for the organisation and its founder Nicholas Negroponte.

Since the idea was first put forward in 2002, the low-cost laptop has been both lauded and ridiculed.

Intel chairman Craig Barret famously described it as a "$100 gadget" whilst Microsoft founder Bill Gates questioned its design, particularly the lack of hard drive and its "tiny screen".

Other critics asked whether there was a need for a laptop in countries which, they said, had more pressing needs such as sanitation, water and health care.

Professor Negroponte's response has always been the same: "It's an education project, not a laptop project."

One laptop

The view was shared by Kofi Annan, ex-secretary General of the UN. In 2005, he described the laptop as an "expression of global solidarity" that would "open up new fronts" for children's education.

And as time passed, even some of the critics have changed their stance. Earlier this month, Intel, which manufactures what was considered a rival machine, the Classmate PC, joined forces with OLPC.

Functional design

The innovative design of the XO machine has also drawn praise from the technical community.

Using open source software, OLPC have developed a stripped-down operating system which fits comfortably on the machine's 1GB of memory.

"We made a set of trade-offs which may not be an office worker's needs but are more than adequate for what kids need for learning, exploring and having fun," said Professor Bender.

The XO is built to cope with the harsh and remote conditions found in areas where it may be used, such as the deserts of Libya or the mountains of Peru.

Intel and OLPC join forces

For example, it has a rugged, waterproof case and is as energy efficient as possible.

"The laptop needs an order of magnitude less power than a typical laptop," said Professor Bender. "That means you can power it by solar or human power."

Governments that sign up for the scheme can purchase solar, foot-pump or pull-string powered chargers for the laptop.

And because it may be used in villages without access to a classroom, it has also been designed to work outside. In particular, the green and white machines feature a sunlight-readable display.

"For a lot of these children it's their only book and we want them to have a first class reading experience," said Professor Bender.

Name drop

The XO will be produced in Taiwan by Quanta, the world's largest laptop manufacturer.

The final design will bring together more than 800 parts from multiple suppliers such as chip-maker AMD, which supplies the low-power processor at the heart of the machine.

"This is the moment we have all been waiting for," Gustavo Arenas of AMD told the BBC News website.

"We certainly believe very strongly in the mission and vision of OLPC so finally starting to see it come to fruition is not only gratifying, it is also rewarding."

Test machines, on which the final design is based, are currently being put through their paces by OLPC.

"We keep laptops in the oven at 50 degrees and they keep on running," said Professor Bender.

Field testing is also being done in countries such as Nigeria and Brazil.

However, the names of the governments that have purchased the first lots of machines have not been released.

The XO currently costs $176 (£90) although the eventual aim is to sell the machines to governments for $100 (£50).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6908946.stm

twonabomber
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
training the next generation of Nigerian scam artists...

FORD
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Saw a story about this on 60 Minutes a while back. I think its a great idea, but I'm a little suspicious that the brother of a BCE mass murderer (Negroponte) is in charge of the project.

Nitro Express
08-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
training the next generation of Nigerian scam artists...

I was thinking along simular lines. We have and are educating the third world and have and are creating our competition. I remember when China and India were third world countries living like we did over a century ago. Heck when I went to both countries in 1980 they were still using steam engines and kerosene lanterns. It was like the old west.

Now they are taking our jobs because they got educated and modernized thanks to our help.

I say leave these people and places alone! If they don't have satalite television they won't know they are missing anything. They will wake up and hunt and gather like they have for the last 6,000 years or so.

Seshmeister
08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok I'm getting old but every so often I think WTF with technology.

I bought a 1GB Micro SD memory card for my new phone today and it's half the size of my fingernail and cost $40. And I know I was ripped off because I could have got it cheaper if I had shopped around.

I know this is an old cliche but the first upgrade I bought for my first PC was 4MB so 1/250th of the capacity for $320.

I'm going to have to look over the next week and find out how they build this shit. I have a vague idea but it blows my mind sometimes...

Seshmeister
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I was thinking along simular lines. We have and are educating the third world and have and are creating our competition. I remember when China and India were third world countries living like we did over a century ago. Heck when I went to both countries in 1980 they were still using steam engines and kerosene lanterns. It was like the old west.

Now they are taking our jobs because they got educated and modernized thanks to our help.

I say leave these people and places alone! If they don't have satalite television they won't know they are missing anything. They will wake up and hunt and gather like they have for the last 6,000 years or so.

Not going to happen.

That's a kind of simplistic view. You can't do that whilst at the same time getting kids to work 16 hour days mining all the essential resources we need from copper to uranium.

Well you can and the multinationals do but you can't then shout foul when some of them try and educate themselves.

In a global economy it's all kind of irrelevant anyway. China is milking the fuck out of them anyway. China gets raw materials from Africa exploiting the fuck out of the people there, makes it into most of the stuff in your home and the US borrows from China to pay for it.

Nitro Express
08-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Not going to happen.

That's a kind of simplistic view. You can't do that whilst at the same time getting kids to work 16 hour days mining all the essential resources we need from copper to uranium.

Well you can and the multinationals do but you can't then shout foul when some of them try and educate themselves.

In a global economy it's all kind of irrelevant anyway. China is milking the fuck out of them anyway. China gets raw materials from Africa exploiting the fuck out of the people there, makes it into most of the stuff in your home and the US borrows from China to pay for it.

Yup. It's not by accident either. The Chinese were thinking seven steps ahead in the 1970's. What they had to offer was cheap labor and appealed to the greed of the people who run things in the US and other industrialized countries. I remember being in business school in the late 80's and all the dumb proffessors were saying we were going to make a fortune selling US Products to a billion Chinese consumers. I spent time in Hong Kong as a kid and I have many Chinese friends. I knew the rap then. I tried to convince people the Chinese would learn how to make what they wanted and make it for themselves then sell it back to us. The Chinese have been counterfitting clothing for decades but instead of the designers refusing to do business they outsourced to China and Ralph Lauren and Liz Clayborn made more money than ever. The Chinese teased our greed and now they own us. They are our fucking banker.

As far a raw resources go, that's where the money will be made in the next 10-15 years. Why? China and India have modernized because they became more educated. So let's stop fucking educating people. LOL! Too many educated people means the job you go to college for pays less because the market has been saturated. Try getting a Wall Street entry level job now. You can't, because people in Bombay have them it's true. All that's left in NYC is investment bankers and their analysis is done overseas in India.

Nitro Express
08-04-2007, 12:47 AM
We will compete until we get pissed and another world war will happen. Either fighting over oil or another resource. I smell war on the horizon. The petrolium wars have started.

Seshmeister
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
The way forward is to have a better higher educated workforce which is why its so important to keep the religious fuckwits away from influencing education and biomeds science.

Nitro Express
08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
The way forward is to have a better higher educated workforce which is why its so important to keep the religious fuckwits away from influencing education and biomeds science.

I agree. Nature used to kill people off in enough numbers that we were kept in check. Plagues, infections, and child birth took the average person before they were 24. Now we live into our 70's and sometimes 25 years beyond that. Since the industrial revolution the population of human beings has exploded. Technology not only made us life longer is made our lives more comfortable and made us richer.

The problem we are faced with now is we have more people that want the good life than available reasources. Also the industrialized countries like the US have had it good for so long they have kind of dumbed themselves down requiring foriegn scientists and engineers to do that work. We have a brain drain.

I don't see a soft landing here. We could have fixed things in the 80's but now I'm afraid it's to late.

svrwthr
08-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I like the comments by Bill Gates. Is he pissed off that it isn't Microsucks making him more billions?!