PDA

View Full Version : Obama To Hunt Terrorists In Off-Limits Pakistan!

Nickdfresh
08-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Obama Says He Might Send Troops Into Pakistan to Hunt Down Terrorists

08-01-2007 9:46 AM
By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (Associated Press) -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday that he would send troops into Pakistan to hunt down terrorists even without local permission if warranted _ an attempt to show strength when his chief rival has described his foreign policy skills as naive.

The Illinois senator warned Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf that he must do more to shut down terrorist operations in his country and evict foreign fighters under an Obama presidency, or Pakistan will risk a U.S. troop invasion and losing hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. military aid.

"Let me make this clear," Obama said in a speech prepared for delivery at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al-Qaida leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will."

The excerpts were provided by the Obama campaign in advance of the speech.

Obama's speech comes the week after his rivalry with New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton erupted into a public fight over their diplomatic intentions.

Obama said he would be willing to meet leaders of rogue states like Cuba, North Korea and Iran without conditions, an idea that Clinton criticized as irresponsible and naive. Obama responded by using the same words to describe Clinton's vote to authorize the Iraq war and called her "Bush-Cheney lite."

Thousands of Taliban fighters are based in Pakistan's vast and jagged mountains, where they can pass into Afghanistan, train for suicide operations and find refuge from local tribesmen. Intelligence experts warn that al-Qaida could be rebuilding here to mount another attack on the United States.

Musharraf has been a key ally of Washington in fighting terrorism since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, but has faced accusations from some quarters in Pakistan of being too closely tied to America.

The Bush administration has supported Musharraf and stressed the need to cooperate with Pakistan, but lately administration officials have suggested the possibility of military strikes to deal with al-Qaida and its leader, Osama bin Laden.

Analysts say an invasion could risk destabilizing Pakistan, breeding more militancy and undermining Musharraf. The Pakistani Foreign Office, protective of its national sovereignty, has warned that U.S. military action would violate international law and be deeply resented.

A military invasion could be risky, given Pakistan's hostile terrain and the suspicion of its warrior-minded tribesmen against uninvited outsiders.

Congress passed legislation Friday that would tie aid from the United States to Islamabad's efforts to stop al-Qaida and the Taliban from operating in its territory. President Bush has yet to sign it.

Obama's speech was a condemnation of President Bush's leadership in the war on terror. He said the focus on Iraq has left Americans in more danger than before Sept. 11, and that Bush has misrepresented the enemy as Iraqis who are fighting a civil war instead of the terrorists responsible for the attacks six years ago.

"He confuses our mission," Obama said, then he spread responsibility to lawmakers like Clinton who voted for the invasion. "By refusing to end the war in Iraq, President Bush is giving the terrorists what they really want, and what the Congress voted to give them in 2002: a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences."

Obama said that as commander in chief he would remove troops from Iraq and putting them "on the right battlefield in Afghanistan and Pakistan." He said he would send at least two more brigades to Afghanistan and increase nonmilitary aid to the country by $1 billion.

He also said he would create a three-year, $5 billion program to share intelligence with allies worldwide to take out terrorist networks from Indonesia to Africa.

___

On the Net:

http://www.barackobama.com

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

steve
08-01-2007, 10:57 AM
We can't even police our own border and we damand that Pakistan police its better??

This makes me question Obama. Seems like pandering to the "the Taliban are in Afghanistan" argument. While there was logic to that several years ago and we should have never invaded Iraq, now this is largely irrelevant. The ideology of violent anti-Americanism is everywhere in the Islamic world - especially in Indonesia. What we are now fighting is a global distrust of America, a distrust that is focused in Wahibbist Islam, becoming largely prevalent in general Muslim thought, and shockingly prevalent in global circles regardless of ideology.

Sending American troops into Pakistan would ONLY result in a super-sized version of Iraq, and fan the flames further.

FORD
08-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Obama, don't try to out-pander Hillary, for fucks sake.

The unfortunate reality of Pakistan is that we have to be careful about what we do over there, because if we fuck that up like Iraq or Afghanistan, then actual nuclear weapons will end up in the wrong hands.

(as opposed to the ones that never existed in Iraq, and the ones that won't exist in Iran for years)

Nickdfresh
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by steve
We can't even police our own border and we damand that Pakistan police its better??

Sending American troops into Pakistan would ONLY result in a super-sized version of Iraq, and fan the flames further.

"The pattern is equally stark among Muslims in Bangladesh and Indonesia, where support for suicide bombing as a tactic in defense of Islam is down by at least half," Pew said.

While you make a good point about Pakistan's great difficulties controlling it's Afghan bordering tribal areas, there is also significant aid provided to the Taliban, and potentially al Qaeda, by the renegades of the ISI intelligence service. Under these circumstances, limited special operations forays, but NOT major infantry operations, would be well justified..

And the Indonesians have mellowed for various reasons...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48147

"The pattern is equally stark among Muslims in Bangladesh and Indonesia, where support for suicide bombing as a tactic in defense of Islam is down by at least half," Pew said.

FORD
08-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Actually the Indonesians have stepped back a bit...

Probably after we saved their asses after the tsunami?

Nickdfresh
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Probably after we saved their asses after the tsunami?

Probably. And probably also they're beginning to realize that far more Muslims are being killed in the jihad than are the "infidels."

hideyoursheep
08-01-2007, 02:23 PM
The unfortunate reality of Pakistan is that we have to be careful about what we do over there, because if we fuck that up like Iraq or Afghanistan, then actual nuclear weapons will end up in the wrong hands.

That could very well happen without our involvement in NW Pakistan. Think of how Pakistan is handling the area now, with kid gloves, as not to provoke the tribes up there who support them.

ELVIS
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
The united states has to make a decision to either kick the terrorists asses or not, under any administration...

Because if not, the troops need to come home by the end of next week...

It's time to stop playing games with these people. They're a ferocious enemy who want to die for their cause...

I say, let's send 'em to 72 virginland early...

:elvis:

Angel
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I say, let's send 'em to 72 virginland early...

The funny thing about the 72 virgins.... In Arabic, the word for raisin is very similar to virgin. There are some who think the Qu'ran was misinterpreted, and they will actually have 72 raisins waiting for them..

LOL! :D

Hyman Roth
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Kinda difficult to take anything any candidate says too seriously for the next year or so...

ELVIS
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I refuse to waste my time watching any of this TV debate crap...

I did however, catch Bill Clinton's wife explain how she is a modern progressive...scary stuff...

And yeah Angel, i've heard the raisin theory, I think from the SM's better half...;)

And another thing...:D

The United States needs to stop embracing Islam with open arms and put the Ten Commandments back up!

I'm on a roll, eh ??

Redballjets88
08-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Angel
The funny thing about the 72 virgins.... In Arabic, the word for raisin is very similar to virgin. There are some who think the Qu'ran was misinterpreted, and they will actually have 72 raisins waiting for them..

haha oh you said something that made me chuckle... if thats the case instead of suicide bombing they should just go to Sams and buy a thousand. Thanks for the laugh there angel.

(i called you angel, how crazy)

lonnieg5
08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Obama... Kinda sounds like a terrorist name, doesn't it?

Nickdfresh
08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by lonnieg5
Obama... Kinda sounds like a terrorist name, doesn't it?

Yeah, if you're a retard that doesn't read things --like the news...

Hyman Roth
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I refuse to waste my time watching any of this TV debate crap...

...I'm on a roll, eh ??

We can agree that there is probably no greater waste of time than paying any attention to the debates...

lonnieg5
08-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Yeah, if you're a retard that doesn't read things --like the news...

Are you still mad about that God thing? :p

Baby's On Fire
08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
The ******'s right.

:D

As long as he' serious and sincere, I'd support that.

At least that way something is actually being done about terrorism, as long as the Iraq occupation ends.:

Hyman Roth
08-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
The ******'s right.

:D

As long as he' serious and sincere, I'd support that.

At least that way something is actually being done about terrorism, as long as the Iraq occupation ends.:

http://e.photos.cx/chewbacca-f14.jpg

Baby's On Fire
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
http://e.photos.cx/chewbacca-f14.jpg

LMAO!

C'mon I'm only joking around. I wanted to get a rise out of someone.

Even a ****** is better than a republican :D

FORD
08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
... if thats the case instead of suicide bombing they should just go to Sams and buy a thousand.

Sams??

As in Sam's Club??

I thought you didn't shop at Wal-Mart? ;)

jhale667
08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
LMAO!

C'mon I'm only joking around. I wanted to get a rise out of someone.

Even a ****** is better than a republican :D

There are some things you shouldn't joke about...

ODShowtime
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
We need to do a risk analysis. What's worse? Allowing those scumbags all the time they need to plot out the next big hit, or going in there, fucking up shop, bombing the fuck out of the place, and putting out the deterance factor that you should not be hiding international fugitives, with the risk of the president being overthrown and nuclear weapons falling into the hands of terrorists.

Neither one is appealing. That's why bin laden is most likley hiding there.

This is not good as it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that procuring nucs allows you to do pretty much whatever you want.

Baby's On Fire
08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Why is it that people post the most vile things on this website, and it's not only tolerated but endorsed?

But then someone uses the Gawdawful N-WORD and everyone gets all uptight?

Relax for fuck sakes. It's not a shot at "******s", it's a shot at Republicans.

And besides that, there's "black people" and then there's "******s".

So relax and recognize sarcasm.

OR at least spare me the holier-than-thou bullshit.

Baby's On Fire
08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
We need to do a risk analysis. What's worse? Allowing those scumbags all the time they need to plot out the next big hit, or going in there, fucking up shop, bombing the fuck out of the place, and putting out the deterance factor that you should not be hiding international fugitives, with the risk of the president being overthrown and nuclear weapons falling into the hands of terrorists.

Neither one is appealing. That's why bin laden is most likley hiding there.

This is not good as it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that procuring nucs allows you to do pretty much whatever you want.

Exactly right.

I am dead against the illgeal wa and murder in Iraq, but all for cleaning FUCKING HOUSE in Pakistan.

Clean the fucking house!!!

ODShowtime
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
It is a cluster fuck. I can't believe we're here afraid to go into some fucking tribal area where 30 year old AK-47s are family heirlooms and goats are currency. But such is the nuclear deterant.

I also don't comprehend how we ever let tha aq kahn motherfuck get away with what he did. He should be hanged. But of course he's a national hero over there to those savages. Pakistan is a big pile of trash. Fuck that place.

jhale667
08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Why is it that people post the most vile things on this website, and it's not only tolerated but endorsed?

But then someone uses the Gawdawful N-WORD and everyone gets all uptight?

Relax for fuck sakes. It's not a shot at "******s", it's a shot at Republicans.

And besides that, there's "black people" and then there's "******s".

So relax and recognize sarcasm.

OR at least spare me the holier-than-thou bullshit.

Racism is pretty far up there on the "vile" scale. ;) Just sayin'.
But don't worry, I'm multi-ethnic, so I was only slightly offended.
Ah, sarcasm....:rolleyes:

And while the nuke thing is certainly something to ponder, I'm all for going in there and fucking Bin Laden up.

PS: These days, "Republican" should be considered a bigger slur than the N-word.

Hyman Roth
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
.... I can't believe we're here afraid to go into some fucking tribal area where 30 year old AK-47s are family heirlooms and goats are currency. But such is the nuclear deterant. ...

Do we really have CREDIBLE intelligence which mud hut is hiding Osama or his agents or are we just going to send the Rangers in to kick 600 doors down at 5:00 in the AM with night vision video cameras on their helmets?

(lol..."goats")

ODShowtime
08-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
Do we really have CREDIBLE intelligence which mud hut is hiding Osama or his agents or are we just going to send the Rangers in to kick 600 doors down at 5:00 in the AM with night vision video cameras on their helmets?

(lol..."goats")

I would bet we have actionable intelligence at times. It gets stale in hours. But we can't use it. Busharraf can't use it. So who knows what we know. They're untouchable in there.

We may have to go in and kick the shit out of people to get the intelligence. That could be bad for PR and create instability. But it could also flush out the sons of bitches where they're vulnerable.

Either way they should be punished for hiding these scumbags.

Redballjets88
08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Sams??

As in Sam's Club??

I thought you didn't shop at Wal-Mart? ;)

i don't but Sams is the only place that I can think of that sells raisins in bulk, I don't know if Costco does.

FORD
08-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i don't but Sams is the only place that I can think of that sells raisins in bulk, I don't know if Costco does.

Costco sells everything in bulk.

Hyman Roth
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
I would bet we have actionable intelligence at times. It gets stale in hours. But we can't use it. Busharraf can't use it. So who knows what we know. They're untouchable in there.

We may have to go in and kick the shit out of people to get the intelligence. That could be bad for PR and create instability. But it could also flush out the sons of bitches where they're vulnerable.

Either way they should be punished for hiding these scumbags.

Well - I don't disagree...I'm actually just trying to formulate an opinion...I guess I have to consider what the actual benefits of puting a bullet in between Osama's eyes are vs. the damage to our own credibility, the risk of harm to the troops and the possibility that innocent civilians will get hurt or treated unfairly.

I mean - it seems clear that there are terrorists holed up in that wild region in the east of the country, but what can they really do globally?

Osama has been shitting in a box in someone's living room for the past 6 years - either that or in a cave somewhere...I wonder how much of the legitimate threat that still exists comes from Osama-controlled al Quaida?

hideyoursheep
08-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Angel

Enjoy your eternity!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/90schick/CARTOONS/Thecaliforniaraisinsshowcartoons.jpg

"I HEARD IT THROUGH MOHAMMED"