PDA

View Full Version : Does The "Iraqi Gov't" Hate Gen. Petraeus?

Nickdfresh
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
U.S.-tribal alliances draw Iraqi ire
The strategy is 'a seed for civil war,' says a prime minister's aide.
By Alexandra Zavis, Times Staff Writer
July 29, 2007

TAJI, IRAQ — When U.S. soldiers moved into an abandoned wool factory near here two months ago, they were pounded with bombs, mortar rounds and bullets.

"We were not really well received," Capt. David Fulton said with deliberate understatement.

The fighting around the factory north of Baghdad went on for a month, until local Sunni Muslim tribesmen decided they had had enough of the extremists in their midst and started working with the Americans. About 220 of those tribesmen now staff checkpoints and have started cooperating with Shiite counterparts who once were their enemies, said Fulton, a U.S. Army company commander from Yucaipa.

Experiences like these have led the U.S. military command to step up efforts to recruit residents to set up local protection forces, authorizing officers to use emergency cash and other funds to strike contracts with tribal leaders.

On Saturday, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. David H. Petraeus, credited the strategy with beginning to turn around an insurgent haven as he toured the region of dusty villages, citrus plantations, fish farms and palm groves near Taji, about 12 miles north of the capital.

But the Shiite-led government, which has been under intense U.S. pressure to dismantle Shiite militias, has complained that the policy legitimizes what they regard as the Sunni equivalent.

"They solve one problem by creating another," said Sami Askari, an aide to Prime Minister Nouri Maliki and member of his Islamic Dawa Party. "This is a seed for civil war."

Maliki wants to screen the Sunni volunteers before they are allowed to carry weapons, and he wants them incorporated into security forces under the government's control, Askari said.

The U.S. strategy has been the subject of heated discussion between Maliki and Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker, both sides acknowledged Saturday.

But Petraeus dismissed as "ludicrous" a report that Maliki felt he could no longer work with the general.

"This is really, really hard stuff, and occasionally people agree to disagree," he said.

With the country's largest Sunni bloc suspending participation in his Cabinet, Maliki's coalition needs the support of its Shiite conservative members, who are angry over U.S. raids and airstrikes targeting Shiite militants in areas such as Baghdad's Sadr City and the southern city of Karbala.

"Petraeus is not answerable before the Iraqi people. Maliki is," said Haider Abadi, another of the prime minister's aides. "There is mounting pressure on Maliki because of these casualties."

Petraeus acknowledged the government's concerns about working with Sunni tribes.

"Obviously there is a concern, particularly in the areas where Al Qaeda had sanctuaries, that some of them may have had ties with them before," he said. "But at the end of the day, situations like this historically have been resolved by the local citizens helping with local security."

The goal, he said, is to get the tribal volunteers jobs in the Iraqi security forces. But getting them screened and trained can take months.

In the meantime, "we applaud when they turn their guns against Al Qaeda," Petraeus said.

U.S. commanders are not allowed to put the fighters on salaries. But they can dip into their discretionary funds to offer rewards or pay for short-term, renewable contracts to protect what the military deems "critical infrastructure." Around Taji, local tribesmen run checkpoints; guard schools and water-treatment plants; and once rebuilt a blown-up bridge in 24 hours.

Compensation typically runs $100 to $300 a month per person, said Col. Mike Meese, a member of Petraeus' staff. The deals are signed by sheiks, who must vouch for their men. U.S. soldiers also collect each person's name, address, fingerprints and retinal scan, among other information, Meese said.

Petraeus said the U.S. military is authorized to provide weapons only to official security forces, but his commanders help the volunteers with food, fuel and occasionally ammunition.

U.S. commanders report a significant drop in attacks in the areas where they are working with the tribesmen. They say insurgents offer $300 to $30,000 for the planting of one bomb in areas under tribal volunteers' control, a sign of how difficult it has become to do the job.

Petraeus arrived at a strip of stores southwest of Taji in a snaking convoy of armored Humvees that kicked up a huge cloud of dust. Helicopters circled overhead as the general bounded from his vehicle and strode down the street, accompanied by the head of the local volunteers, an Iraqi army colonel and the police chief. He stopped to buy sodas at a tiny grocery, and chatted with a man who was building more shops in a market that was all but deserted in January.

Petraeus said the cooperation between the Iraqi security forces and local tribesmen was bringing security and commerce back, and that their combined efforts had Al Qaeda in Iraq "knocked off balance." He cited the capture of a local Al Qaeda in Iraq leader.

"Yes, he was my friend," commented Abu Azam, a tribal chief in a beige dishdasha with a pistol hanging from a holster.

"Please, please," Petraeus said, as he jokingly covered his ears.

"That was before he sided with Al Qaeda," Abu Azam hastily added.

In Baghdad on Saturday, police recovered the bodies of 20 men shot execution-style, some with signs of torture. And a car bomb exploded in the central Karada neighborhood, killing at least four people and injuring 10, police said. Just two days before, a bomb in a parked truck in a busy area of Karada killed 61 people.

In other violence, four Iraqi special forces commandos were killed and four injured when a bomb struck their patrol in Samarra, police said. The patrol opened fire after the attack, injuring five civilians, according to police and hospital officials.

Gunmen targeted the home of a Turkmen political leader in the northern city of Kirkuk, killing six people and injuring six others, police said. An Iraqi soldier was killed and two others injured in a roadside bombing in the city.

The chairman of the lawyers union in the southern city of Basra was assassinated by gunmen Friday night on his way home.

zavis@latimes.com

--

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iraq29jul29,0,1476598.story?coll=la-home-center) staff writers Said Rifai and Raheem Salman in Baghdad and correspondents in Baghdad, Basra, Hillah, Samarra and Kirkuk contributed to this report.

Nickdfresh
08-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I posted this thread because I keep hearing stuff in the media about the Maliki gov't hating Gen. Petraeus counterinsurgency efforts, because they interfere with their plans for total, terminal sectarian domination. I've even heard that they want him "withdrawn!"

Could this be the impetus for our withdrawl? That no matter what we do with "the Surge," the "Iraqi gov't," run by a shadow confederation of Shia militias, will undermine us?

Nickdfresh
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Petraeus: 'A Lot of Soul Searching'
As Year Five of the War Continues, Top Commander Still Questions Himself

July 31, 2007 —

Many Americans have said they want the United States to withdraw troops from Iraq.

In fact, a July 21 ABC News poll said 60 percent agree with the idea. It's a point of public contention that Gen. David Petraeus, the top commander in Iraq, said he definitely is aware of.

Petraeus' report on Iraqi progress, due in September, could play a vital role in determining how long American troops stay.

"We're going to be engaged in Iraq for some foreseeable future," he said during an exclusive interview on "Good Morning America" today. "I don't think anyone would think that we'd be completely out of here or completely unhooked from Iraq."

"And I think frankly that the American people, if they have a sense of this, can succeed because they know the stakes here. This is an extremely important endeavor."

But as the war trudges into its fifth year, the optimism some Americans previously held onto has faded. In 2004 Petraeus graced Newsweek's cover, and many reports at the time talked about an increasing momentum with huge progress. But the commander said he is no longer as optimistic.

"I'm not an optimist or a pessimist, I'm a realist," Petraeus said. "I think we've learned over the years. We've had our moments of optimism, and frankly some of those moments were in that particular summer as we headed toward the elections. And we remember the purple finger moments and the wave of optimism that accompanied the elections and some of the other moments of progress. Sadly, a lot of that was undone by the horrific sectarian violence."

Troops in Iraq are operating in an environment where, during the last winter, the very fabric of Iraqi society was torn, he said. Petraeus said he was aware of the challenges in Iraq and how difficult the situation is, but he doesn't believe it is hopeless.

Losses Lead to Soul Searching

Even as Petraeus attempts to renew the public's faith in the war, other officials are beginning to show their emotions publicly. Recently, Defense Secretary Robert Gates broke down at a podium when he talked about the death of Marine Maj. Douglas Zembiac, who was known as "the lion of Fallujah."

"Every evening I write notes to the families of young Americans like Doug Zembiac," Gates said as his voice choked up. "They are not names on a press release or numbers updated on a Web site. They are a country's sons and daughters."

Petraeus, who attended a memorial ceremony in Baghdad for Zembiac, said the Marine was a special warrior and truly great American who was unapologetic about his love serving the nation.

"There's an awful lot of soul searching that goes on when you're a commander of an endeavor like this. And you do occasionally ask yourself, 'Is it worth it?' And I've done that in the past," Petraeus said. "I did that as a commander of the 101st Airborne Division during the first year heading up the training, getting that going in the second, third year and so fourth and it never stops."

Even with those thoughts, Petraeus said he wouldn't be engaged in the situation if he didn't believe it was worth it.

"I certainly ask myself that periodically," he said. "I think any commander should do that, must do it. And if I ever thought that was not the case, I would offer that view through my chain of command."

Copyright © 2007 ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3430607) Internet Ventures

Nickdfresh
08-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Heat Rises Between Iraq PM and Petraeus

By STEVEN R. HURST and QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA
The Associated Press
Saturday, July 28, 2007; 2:05 PM

BAGHDAD -- A key aide says Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's relations with Gen. David Petraeus are so poor the Iraqi leader may ask Washington to withdraw the overall U.S. commander from his Baghdad post.

Iraq's foreign minister calls the relationship "difficult." Petraeus, who says their ties are "very good," acknowledges expressing his "full range of emotions" at times with al-Maliki. U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker, who meets with both at least weekly, concedes "sometimes there are sporty exchanges."

It seems less a clash of personality than of policy. The Shiite Muslim prime minister has reacted most sharply to the American general's tactic of enlisting Sunni militants, presumably including past killers of Iraqi Shiites, as allies in the fight against al-Qaida here.

An associate said al-Maliki once, in discussion with President Bush, even threatened to counter this by arming Shiite militias.

History shows that the strain of war often turns allies into uneasy partners. The reality of how these allies get along may lie somewhere between the worst and best reports about the relationship, one central to the future of Iraq and perhaps to the larger Middle East.

The rest here. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/28/AR2007072800736.html)

Associated Press Military Writer Robert Burns contributed to this report.

hideyoursheep
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Time to punt.