PDA

View Full Version : Queen Rock Montreal

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Queen Rock Montreal

On 29 October 2007, Eagle Rock Entertainment simultaneously release two incredible DVDs capturing the incomparable Queen in their pomp as the world's biggest band at a sold out show in 1981 at Montreal's 18,000-seater Forum. The single DVD is "Queen Rock Montreal" and there is a special edition double DVD "Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid" [Cat Nos EREDV444 and EREDV666 respectively]. The live CD/LP from the concert is released on the same date on EMI with HD-DVD and Blu-ray versions to follow in November through Eagle.

Following their record-breaking South American tour, the Montreal shows on 24 and 25 November 1981 were to be the only concerts by Queen ever shot on film - indeed they were the first group to shoot an entire show in full cinema format 35mm. These releases offer the best ever sound and picture quality on a Queen concert release. Always a great live band, with two years non-stop touring behind them and Freddie Mercury in front of them, Queen excelled themselves with the cameras rolling. The footage has been digitally restored from the original film and the sound has been newly mixed and mastered for DTS Surround Sound and PCM Stereo from the original multi-track tapes.

"Hello Montreal...long time no see. You wanna get crazy?" asks Freddie as the band tear into their alternative 'fast' version of We Will Rock You, and from there on Queen show their hard rock roots, slowing down only for Love of My Life and the more mid-tempo Under Pressure, notably being performed live for the first time in this concert.

TRACKLISTING
1) Intro
2) We Will Rock You (fast)
3) Let Me Entertain You
4) Play The Game
5) Somebody To Love
6) Killer Queen
7) I'm In Love With My Car
8) Get Down Make Love
9) Save Me
10) Now I�m Here
11) Dragon Attack
12) Now I'm Here (reprise)
13) Love Of My Life
14) Under Pressure
15) Keep Yourself Alive
16) Drum & Timpani Solo
17) Guitar Solo
18) Crazy Little Thing Called Love
19) Jailhouse Rock
20) Bohemian Rhapsody
21) Tie Your Mother Down
22) Another One Bites The Dust
23) Sheer Heart Attack
24) We Will Rock You
25) We Are The Champions
26) God Save The Queen

TRACKLISTING (Double Disc Live Aid footage)
Live Aid:
1) Bohemian Rhapsody
2) Radio Gaga
3) Hammer To Fall
4) Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5) We Will Rock You
6) We Are The Champions
7) Is This The World We Created

The real joy to be had in watching Freddie, Brian, Roger and John performing here is that, unlike any other Queen concert film available, this delivers raw Queen. This is before the Hot Space album, before keyboards would find a place in the band�s touring line up; this is simply four musicians in total cohesion.

Originally titled, �We Will Rock You�, this film was first launched at the Cannes Film Festival in May 1983 - as only Queen could. It was then released in North America (September 1984), becoming the first commercially available film of Queen in concert. For this special edition, the picture has been digitally restored from the original 35mm negative.

The double disc release offers the incredible bonus of a slew of Live Aid features and performances. Regularly polled as the greatest live performance of all time, Queen�s mighty Live Aid show at 6.44pm on July 13, 1985, is here in full. In addition to the set that reinforced Queen�s position as unrivalled rock entertainers, Freddie and Brian�s performance later in the evening of the poignant �Is This The World We Created� is included. Also featured are 11 minutes of never before seen Live Aid rehearsal footage, plus a rehearsal interview with the band. In addition, there�s the curiosity value of a 1982 news feature from US TV series PM Magazine. Brian May and Roger Taylor bring the story up to date with a brand new audio commentary on the Montreal concert.

Both these releases offer extraordinary footage of one if the greatest acts of all time, recorded at the height of the powers. Truly, Rock royalty.

Product information:

Release date: October 29, 2007

http://www.queenonline.com/img/DVD-double.jpg

Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid [Eagle] - Special Edition 2 DVD set
Running Time: 138 mins approx

Queen Rock Montreal [Eagle] � Single DVD.
Running Time: 95 minutes.

http://www.queenonline.com/img/CD.jpg
Queen Rock Montreal [UK, Parlophone] � Double CD Cat No: 5 04047 2

Queen Rock Montreal [UK, Parlophone] � Triple LP Cat No: 5 04047 1

I'm failing to see much point in releasing this particular show...again...and again...and again...and again...and finally...again.

Why can't they release some 70s footage instead? The rainbow gig? or the Hammersmith Christmas Eve show? or Hyde Park? Or Earl's Court? or Houstan? or The Concert for Kampuchea? Why keep re-releasing the same stuff? And their LIVE AID performance is already on the LIVE AID DVD...

Diamondjimi
08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Killer!
I will definately pick this up . I've had the "We will rock you" vid for years. This is one of their best shows I've ever witnessed...
Thank Shaun!
:cool:

FORD
08-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Looks like a great show. I'll definitely pick up this DVD.

And it's been a while since I watched it, but I'm not sure their entire set is on the Live Aid DVD. Even so, it seems a little strange bundling a 1981 show shot on film with a 1985 show videotaped.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
It's a cool show...yes, but I'd much rather they finally released a DVD of 70s stuf rather than yet more versions of Another One Bites The Dust, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Under Pressure...there's plenty in the archieves but for some reason they wont release it.

Diamondjimi
08-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Like Gene $immon$ they'll hold out 'til the well runs dry then release the 70's goodies.

Myself I'd like to see them release Live at the Rainbow '74. Amazing show that I have on vhs.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Exactly...

Having said that...they seem to be going backwards with the DVDs.

The first one was Wembley 86
The Second was Milton keynes 82
This one is Montreal 81

Maybe the next one will be Hammersmith 79 (although it'll probably be Rio 85).

Coyote
08-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
(although it'll probably be Rio 85).

I think I saw that one on sale already... (Masterplan DVD)

Mr Badguy
08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Don`t worry, Shaun, I`ve heard that they plan on releasing everything although not all at once.

This one is the shit.

Queen at their peak touring "The Game", their last ever WORLD tour.

After this they would never play the US again thanks to that moustache.

Killer Queen!

Shaun Ponsonby
08-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I think dressing up like Coronation Street contributed as well...

HA!

Moustaches and Drag...that could have been Freddie's autobiography.

Vinnie Velvet
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I remember fans throwing razors on to the stage --- 'cause they didn't like Freddie's new 'look'.

BITEYOASS
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Don`t worry, Shaun, I`ve heard that they plan on releasing everything although not all at once.

This one is the shit.

Queen at their peak touring "The Game", their last ever WORLD tour.

Killer Queen!

Actually the last time they toured the US was for the "Hot Space" album back in 1982.

Mr Badguy
08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Actually the last time they toured the US was for the "Hot Space" album back in 1982.

Oh!

I always thought "Tha Game" was their last US tour.

I know "The Works" wasn`t a full world tour.

I bow to your superior knowledge.