PDA

View Full Version : 4,000 People A Week Trying To Leave Uk

Hardrock69
08-08-2007, 01:10 PM
BRITAIN is facing a mass exodus of people looking to escape the crime and grime of modern living.

The country’s biggest foreign visa consultancy firm has revealed that applications have soared in the last seven months by 80 per cent to almost 4,000 a week. Ten years ago the figure was just 300 a week.

Most people are relocating within the Commonwealth – in Australia, Canada and South Africa. They are almost all young professionals and skilled workers aged 20-40.

And many cite their reason for wanting to quit as immigration to these shores – and the burden it is placing on their communities and local authorities. The dearth of good schools, spiralling house prices, rising crime and tax increases are also driving people away.

Obtaining a visa to live abroad can cost as little as £1,500 for the right candidates. Plumbers, electricians, construction workers and doctors are famously in demand. The only obstruction to emigration from the UK is a criminal record, poor health, advancing age and being a “third country national”.

Liam Clifford, a former immigration control officer, set up globalvisas.com as a one-man band 12 years ago. He now employs 60 people and is in the process of opening new offices in both South Africa and Australia. Mr Clifford said: “It’s absolutely phenomenal. People are trying to get away to wherever they can, and most are successful.

“Ironically, one of the main reasons for leaving is the overstretch of services due to increasing immigration into the UK. People are looking for the better standard of living offered by other countries, as even the most idyllic villages in Britain are under pressure from rising populations.

Skilled labour is obviously an advantage, but so is speaking the English language. Most countries are harder to get into if you don’t speak English. UK plc simply isn’t fighting hard enough to keep its people. Some are telling us they are fed up with living in this country. Even business people are saying they’ve had enough.

“They’re saying ‘I can’t put my children into the right school, but if I move abroad I can’. Most people are very patriotic and don’t want to leave. They’re almost terrified about it. But they say they just have to.

“It’s a shame people at the top don’t recognise they’re not doing enough to retain highly skilled workers in this country. A lot of them are quite young, and they’re not idle. They just can’t see a future for themselves in this country. They want to get married and settle down and buy homes, but they can’t see it happening here.

“And time and time again they are saying to us they don’t want to be seen as racist because they are quitting because of immigration. We tell them of course they’re not.”

According to the most recent Office of National Statistics figures, in 2005 the official number of people leaving UK shores was 352,000 – up from 249,000 in 1995. The majority – around 150,000 – migrated from London and the south east.

Among those who headed out were Simon Blood, 26, and Rachel Roberts, 23, who moved to Australia four months ago. The couple, from Stoke-on-Trent, are loving their new life in far north Queensland so much that they’ve decided it’s permanent.

Apart from family, football and a few television programmes, there’s nothing they miss about home. Embracing the warmest winter they’ve ever known – averaging 24C daily – both relish the commute to work which takes just five minutes, leaving plenty of time for walks on the beach.

Simon, a marketing executive, and Rachel, a nurse, followed their dream after seeing a newspaper advertisement for nursing recruits Down Under.

“It all went very smoothly,” said Simon. “It’s beautiful here and we’ve no plans to go back for good.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/15642/4%2C000-people-a-week-trying-to-leave-UK

binnie
08-09-2007, 02:47 AM
I can well believe that. But I think most people leave because the cost of living here is just astronomical, and continues to rise.

For people who aren't yet on the property ladder, emmigrating is becoming an increasingly viable option.

I can't see that immigration has an awful lot to do with it actually....

Nitro Express
08-09-2007, 04:09 AM
In 1918 Great Britain was the richest country in the world. Sounds like it isn't so great now. I've heard lots of complaints from British citizens over the years and it seems that the top people are just plain out of touch.

Ellyllions
08-09-2007, 08:33 AM
The US needs to take a look at this and understand that if something doesn't change here...

Hardrock69
08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
My first option would be the Vancouver area. Second option would be Australia.

I have already given it some thought.

Ellyllions
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
The only thing that bothers me about Canada is the Universal Healtcare thing. I have a friend who had two gall stones the size of golfballs and was on a waiting list for over a year before she could have surgery.

That is a real issue for me.

binnie
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
The only thing that bothers me about Canada is the Universal Healtcare thing. I have a friend who had two gall stones the size of golfballs and was on a waiting list for over a year before she could have surgery.

If it's like the UK, I'm sure that there are private plans you can take out which means that you can jump the queue.

We have a National Health service, but if you have private health cover you get treated much, much faster. The National cover is a safety net, and I'm glad we have it, but it is also very limited.

scamper
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by binnie
If it's like the UK, I'm sure that there are private plans you can take out which means that you can jump the queue.

Interesting, so you have to pay into the socialized health care, but if you want something done right you need to have your own health insurance.

binnie
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by scamper
Interesting, so you have to pay into the socialized health care, but if you want something done right you need to have your own health insurance.

Not if you want it done right, just if you want it done more quickly :)

With anything really serious, cancer or anything life threatening, the National system is generally (and I stress generally) very fast and efficient.

But say you have an ailment - you need an operation on your knee but you can still get around, although in a little pain - on the national system you could wait for a year, longer maybe (waiting times really depend on which hospital you are nearest, some might only take a month.) That's when being able to afford private care is beneficial.

The National service isn't anywhere near perfect, but it's good to have something as a safety net. When you have 60 million potential patients, no system is going to be great; it's so expensive to run, and organise, that it is full of problems. However, at least it's there for everyone. However, if people can afford it, they'd be crazy not to take out private care as well.

scamper
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Not if you want it done right, just if you want it done more quickly :)

With anything really serious, cancer or anything life threatening, the National system is generally (and I stress generally) very fast and efficient.

But say you have an ailment - you need an operation on your knee but you can still get around, although in a little pain - on the national system you could wait for a year, longer maybe (waiting times really depend on which hospital you are nearest, some might only take a month.) That's when being able to afford private care is beneficial.

The National service isn't anywhere near perfect, but it's good to have something as a safety net. When you have 60 million potential patients, no system is going to be great; it's so expensive to run, and organise, that it is full of problems. However, at least it's there for everyone. However, if people can afford it, they'd be crazy not to take out private care as well.

Is the private care so expensive that only the upper class can afford it? How are you doing on doctors is there enough?

Nitro Express
08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm well traveled and the majority of the world lives in poverty. That people said, I've seen poor people in Peru more happy than people in more industrialized nations. Why? They don't have unrealistic expectations and they don't want it all now.

The industrialized world suffers from rampant greed. In the US people are selling out their futures to have it now and we are making China a potential enemy that in the future could destroy us powerful by buying their goods.

As far as Austrailia goes, they don't want you. They have made laws so foriegners can't even buy property there. I know, I tried. China where all the money is don't want you either. They already have 1.3 billion people. Jobs are hard enough to find in Canada, many work in the states. They don't want more people flooding in.

With AIDS decimating Africa and the rich soil and resources there. Maybe the British citizens should pack together and recolonize it. It would be good for Africa and it would provide a new opportunity for people who are tired of the British Isles.

Everyone wants to simply move to the dream job in Shangrala. I'm sorry but the lawn isn't greener on the other side. Everywhere has it's problems.

Nitro Express
08-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
My first option would be the Vancouver area. Second option would be Australia.

I have already given it some thought.

So did a lot of Chinese in Hong Kong. To get residency you just had to bring $1 million into Canada and lots of people in Hong Kong have that kind of money. The problem was Canada didn't have the economy they were used to and now many have moved back to China.

I mean the Canadians want you if you have lot's of money or a set of skills they want. If you are some bloak just trying to escape where you came from they don't want you and that's true for the rest of the world.

Money rules everywhere.

You might as well stay in the US. It will hit decline but that just means prices dropping and clearing out all the dead wood. Then it's reinvestment time. Maybe the place will split apart but look at India, they are far more disfunctional and complicated than us and they have managed to keep their democracy.

Eddie's Booze
08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
So did a lot of Chinese in Hong Kong. To get residency you just had to bring $1 million into Canada and lots of people in Hong Kong have that kind of money. The problem was Canada didn't have the economy they were used to and now many have moved back to China.

I mean the Canadians want you if you have lot's of money or a set of skills they want. If you are some bloak just trying to escape where you came from they don't want you and that's true for the rest of the world.

Money rules everywhere.

You might as well stay in the US. It will hit decline but that just means prices dropping and clearing out all the dead wood. Then it's reinvestment time. Maybe the place will split apart but look at India, they are far more disfunctional and complicated than us and they have managed to keep their democracy.

Every Country wants Professional people with Skills. Canada pays Skilled people HANDSOMELY whereas America DON'T.

:(

Seshmeister
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM

We have a National Health service, but if you have private health cover you get treated much, much faster. The National cover is a safety net, and I'm glad we have it, but it is also very limited.

Binnie that's just crazy overstated bullshit.

Seshmeister
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
BRITAIN is facing a mass exodus of people looking to escape the crime and grime of modern living.

The country’s biggest foreign visa consultancy firm has revealed that applications have soared in the last seven months by 80 per cent to almost 4,000 a week. Ten years ago the figure was just 300 a week.

Most people are relocating within the Commonwealth – in Australia, Canada and South Africa. They are almost all young professionals and skilled workers aged 20-40.

And many cite their reason for wanting to quit as immigration to these shores – and the burden it is placing on their communities and local authorities. The dearth of good schools, spiralling house prices, rising crime and tax increases are also driving people away.

Obtaining a visa to live abroad can cost as little as £1,500 for the right candidates. Plumbers, electricians, construction workers and doctors are famously in demand. The only obstruction to emigration from the UK is a criminal record, poor health, advancing age and being a “third country national”.

Liam Clifford, a former immigration control officer, set up globalvisas.com as a one-man band 12 years ago. He now employs 60 people and is in the process of opening new offices in both South Africa and Australia. Mr Clifford said: “It’s absolutely phenomenal. People are trying to get away to wherever they can, and most are successful.

“Ironically, one of the main reasons for leaving is the overstretch of services due to increasing immigration into the UK. People are looking for the better standard of living offered by other countries, as even the most idyllic villages in Britain are under pressure from rising populations.

Skilled labour is obviously an advantage, but so is speaking the English language. Most countries are harder to get into if you don’t speak English. UK plc simply isn’t fighting hard enough to keep its people. Some are telling us they are fed up with living in this country. Even business people are saying they’ve had enough.

“They’re saying ‘I can’t put my children into the right school, but if I move abroad I can’. Most people are very patriotic and don’t want to leave. They’re almost terrified about it. But they say they just have to.

“It’s a shame people at the top don’t recognise they’re not doing enough to retain highly skilled workers in this country. A lot of them are quite young, and they’re not idle. They just can’t see a future for themselves in this country. They want to get married and settle down and buy homes, but they can’t see it happening here.

“And time and time again they are saying to us they don’t want to be seen as racist because they are quitting because of immigration. We tell them of course they’re not.”

According to the most recent Office of National Statistics figures, in 2005 the official number of people leaving UK shores was 352,000 – up from 249,000 in 1995. The majority – around 150,000 – migrated from London and the south east.

Among those who headed out were Simon Blood, 26, and Rachel Roberts, 23, who moved to Australia four months ago. The couple, from Stoke-on-Trent, are loving their new life in far north Queensland so much that they’ve decided it’s permanent.

Apart from family, football and a few television programmes, there’s nothing they miss about home. Embracing the warmest winter they’ve ever known – averaging 24C daily – both relish the commute to work which takes just five minutes, leaving plenty of time for walks on the beach.

Simon, a marketing executive, and Rachel, a nurse, followed their dream after seeing a newspaper advertisement for nursing recruits Down Under.

“It all went very smoothly,” said Simon. “It’s beautiful here and we’ve no plans to go back for good.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/15642/4%2C000-people-a-week-trying-to-leave-UK

There are 3 times as many people coming in.

thome
08-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe they are trying to escape National Health

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YgDEYVF77M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YgDEYVF77M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Katydid
08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I' like young, black cock!

ALinChainz
08-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Like those pics, huh Katy?

Figures.

How is that telethon coming along to save those domains.

Hardrock69
08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Wow! She is going all out!

:eek:

Or....perhaps I should say...all IN?
:D

Hardrock69
08-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Her friend Steve is going to LOVE seeing what she is posting!

Hey where is that bastard son of hers? That son of a bitch!

He would probably like to jack off over this shit! It will remind him of all the times mommy ass-fucked him with her strapon when he was 9.
:rolleyes:

binnie
08-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Binnie that's just crazy overstated bullshit.

Which part?

Are you telling me that, if you could afford it, you wouldn't take private health cover?

I love the fact that we have the NHS, but I also accept the fact that it is limited.

binnie
08-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Is the private care so expensive that only the upper class can afford it? How are you doing on doctors is there enough?

Not neccessarily upper class, but it ain't cheap either. I would say that vast majority of the population is more than happy to use the national system.

ODShowtime
08-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Canada pays Skilled people HANDSOMELY whereas America DON'T.

I don't know what your basis is for this statement.

Hardrock69
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
He is saying Americans are ugly.

scamper
08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Every Country wants Professional people with Skills. Canada pays Skilled people HANDSOMELY whereas America DON'T.

You have the wrong skills.

BITEYOASS
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Well I ain't fuckin moving anywhere outside of the country anytime soon. I'll be armed and ready if the Blackwater thugs or the PLA ever invades.

jharp84
08-10-2007, 11:21 AM
The US needs to take a look at this and understand that if something doesn't change here...

Dead On Girl!!! I have a large 2-story w/extra beds and bath on a nice corner lot - just me and the dogs now! So if any army members need space? PM me!!

Nickdfresh
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Like those pics, huh Katy?

Figures.

How is that telethon coming along to save those domains.

Whatever you need bro., I'll gladly donate!!

:D:bottle:

Or maybe we'll split it! You take RothArmy.net, I'll take RothArmy.org!!

Katyskid, oOOOhooohooo! You just pissed off you old hag!!

Angel
08-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Your friend's full of shit, then. Possibly 3 months maximum if she wasn't experiencing too much discomfort from the stones. If she had blockage caused by the stones, the surgery would be immediate.

Eddie's Booze
08-10-2007, 06:27 PM
You have the wrong skills.

Civil Engineer = 50 US $'s per hour.

Civil Engineer = 90 Canadian $'s per hour.

;)

Eddie's Booze
08-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Well I ain't fuckin moving anywhere outside of the country anytime soon. I'll be armed and ready if the Blackwater thugs or the PLA ever invades.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....

:rolleyes:

scamper
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Civil Engineer = 50 US $'s per hour.

Civil Engineer = 90 Canadian $'s per hour.

;)

50 per hour is not going to make you a millionaire but you won't go broke. Whats the Canadian $ worth these days?

FORD
08-11-2007, 12:03 AM
50 per hour is not going to make you a millionaire but you won't go broke. Whats the Canadian $ worth these days?

Sadly, it's now worth more than the US dollar by about 5 or 6 cents, last I heard.

When I went to Canada on vacation in 2003, the Canadian dollar was about 62 cents. And it had been right around that range, between 60-65 cents compared to the US dollar for years.

So in other words, the US dollar has slipped about 40% give or take a few cents in the last 4 years, against our closest neighbor. I don't know how it's done against the pound or the Euro in the same time period, but I believe the US dollar and Euro were about equal when the Euros first started circulating, and now they're higher than the dollar as well.

And thanks to what Chimpy has done to damage America's world standing, the Euro will continue to replace the dollar as the favored international currency....

I don't know about the UK, but this country is headed for an economic disaster that will make 1929 look like a LDS church picnic.

ALinChainz
08-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Whatever you need bro., I'll gladly donate!!

:D:bottle:

Or maybe we'll split it! You take RothArmy.net, I'll take RothArmy.org!!

Katyskid, oOOOhooohooo! You just pissed off you old hag!!

Yeah, I think if you lay a larger deposit down, she has to match it or lose it.

MUUWHAHAHA .... MUWHAHAHA ..... MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ALinChainz
08-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Plus ... was thinking of donating them to the site ... no one else should really have them.

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 01:53 AM

That's right. We pay the dumb CEO's $24 million when they get fired.

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
There are 3 times as many people coming in.

So next time I land at Heathrow I will think I'm in fucking Abu Dahbi or Istanbuhl?

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying in the US because my US Dollars don't buy shit anymore and the exchange rate feels like I'm being annaly fucked by Sammy Hagar.

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Sadly, it's now worth more than the US dollar by about 5 or 6 cents, last I heard.

When I went to Canada on vacation in 2003, the Canadian dollar was about 62 cents. And it had been right around that range, between 60-65 cents compared to the US dollar for years.

So in other words, the US dollar has slipped about 40% give or take a few cents in the last 4 years, against our closest neighbor. I don't know how it's done against the pound or the Euro in the same time period, but I believe the US dollar and Euro were about equal when the Euros first started circulating, and now they're higher than the dollar as well.

And thanks to what Chimpy has done to damage America's world standing, the Euro will continue to replace the dollar as the favored international currency....

I don't know about the UK, but this country is headed for an economic disaster that will make 1929 look like a LDS church picnic.

That's ok Ford. The BCE is going to make sure we all are on the Amero soon enough.

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 02:05 AM
The weak dollar just sounds like we better stop complaining and go to work making stuff. High quality stuff that's better than the Chinese shit and we can sell it to our European and Canadian buddies for a bargain and brings some Canadian Dollars and Euros in. Let's fire up the steel mills again!

Nitro Express
08-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Let's be the first industrialized country to get off of oil! I see opportunity here. The Phoenix will rise from the ashes! We can take the dumb and stupid and turn them into dog food. Poison it and sell it to the Chines. Revenge is a dish best served cold. (Ancient Klingon Proverb).

Eddie's Booze
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
That's right. We pay the dumb CEO's $24 million when they get fired.

That kind of shit happens here as well unfortunatly.

:mad:

Eddie's Booze
08-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Let's be the first industrialized country to get off of oil! I see opportunity here. The Phoenix will rise from the ashes! We can take the dumb and stupid and turn them into dog food. Poison it and sell it to the Chines. Revenge is a dish best served cold. (Ancient Klingon Proverb).

The Chinese are already is the process of doing exactly that.

Nitro Express
08-12-2007, 01:28 AM
The Chinese are already is the process of doing exactly that.

It all reminds me of the late 70's and 80's when we made the Japanese out to be untouchable GODs. The Chinese copy and rarely invent anything from scratch unless you go back in their history wherre they invented the noodle and gun powder.

Have you ever been to China? I have sevral times the last three years ago. It's the most polluted place you will ever visit. Bejing has a dark cloud over it. During the Olympics they are going to shut down every industrial plant in the area to make a good impression on the visiting tourists.

Plus, they can only have one child. They have either aborted or given away the girls. The young Chinese are spoiled rotten boys. It's a dysfunctional place and they are copying the mistakes we have made in the west by basing their economy on oil.

Israel probably will be the first country off oil. They have some the best out of the box thinking scientist and engineers and they have no oil.

I try not to buy Chinese goods period. It's almost impossible with some goods because they have made themselves the cheap labor mill of the world.

Satan
08-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Let's be the first industrialized country to get off of oil!

Didn't Brazil already pull that off? I thought they were all running on sugar cane ethanol down there now?

Satan
08-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Since you mortals raised the subject of monetary exchange rates, here's the latest official info from my friends on Wall Street (and as you might imagine, the Devil has many friend there.......)

1 USD = 0.732598 EUR
1 USD = 1.05360 CAD
1 USD = 0.495784 GBP
1 USD = 1.18906 AUD

The US dollar used to be on a gold standard, with one dollar equal to an ounce of gold - if the Devil remembers correctly.

The current price of an ounce of gold is $672.80

What does that tell you about the actual worth of your "federal reserve notes"??

Angel
08-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Canadian $ hasn't been above the US, yet. We don't want it to. It hurts manufacturing & tourism too much.

WACF
08-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Canadian $ hasn't been above the US, yet. We don't want it to. It hurts manufacturing & tourism too much.

But it is great for shopping on ebay!

It is amazing how we can not compete with US companys with a dollar being on par.
Our higher wages are catching up to us...what do you do though?

Angel
08-12-2007, 01:54 PM
It's great for cheap vacations for us too! I remember going to Mexico when our $ was at about .84.... Damn, that took some partying money out of the trip!