PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld Apologizes to Iraqi Prisoners

ELVIS
05-07-2004, 01:49 PM
May 7, 2004

By DAVID ESPO

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040507/capt.wcap10305071618.us_prisoner_abuse_wcap103.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on Friday extended "my deepest apologies" to Iraqi prisoners abused by U.S. military personnel and told Congress he accepts full responsibility for the shocking events.

"These events occurred on my watch. As Secretary of Defense, I am accountable for them. I take full responsibility," Rumsfeld told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Rumsfeld took the witness chair after a week of controversy over the photographs of U.S. captors abusing their prisoners, often forcing them to assume sexually humiliating poses. Several Democratic lawmakers have demanded his resignation.

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., said the committee needed to know "who knew what when, what they did about it, and why were members of Congress not properly and adequately informed."

Rumsfeld had scarcely uttered his opening apology when protesters interrupted him.

"Fire Rumsfeld," some yelled before they were hustled from the room.

Rumsfeld sat calmly in his seat while the room was quieted.

Moments earlier, he added his personal apology to the one that President Bush made on Thursday.

"I feel terrible about what happened to these Iraqi detainees. They are human beings. They were in U.S. custody," he said.

"To those Iraqis who were mistreated by the U.S. armed forces, I offer my deepest apologies."

:elvis:

Angel
05-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Fire the bastard!

FORD
05-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Fire the bastard!

Fire ALL the bastards!!

Dan
05-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Mr Bush great job once again?