PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup Lady is confusing me

Ally_Kat
05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Okay, so this is the excerpt from Newsweek from a couple of weeks ago --

"I'm more old-fashioned than a lot of women...I don't view abortion as just a nothing. It is stopping the process of life....My belief-and I maybe am very wrong-is that women, generally speaking, do not want to have abortions. With the exception of people who are mindless -- and there will always be mindless people of both sexes -- most women wouldn't want to. So starting on that premise, I'd say it's our duty as a society to help women arrive at the best conclusion."

And this was in today's New York Sun (they don't post online, so I had to type it up. Otherwise, I'd put in a linkie.)

Teresa Heinz Kerry Says She Nearly Had an Abortion for Medical Reasons

By Lolita C. Baldor

WASHINGTON – Teresa Heinz Kerry nearly underwent an abortion some 30 years ago on a doctor’s recommendation because she had been taking cortisone early in her pregnancy, but a miscarriage rendered the decision moot.

In an interview that will air today on ABC/s “20/20”, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry discussed the clamor for her to release her income tax returns, the campaign, and her reputation for outspokenness.

During her first marriage, Mrs. Heinz Kerry said she wanted a fourth child after the birth of her son Christopher in March 1973. She said she had a “severe reaction to something,” was taking heavy cortisone medicine, and did not realize she was pregnant.

“I told my doctor, ‘I think I’m pregnant,’ and he said, ‘Well, then, if you’re pregnant, you have to abort that baby.”…I was very upset…I didn’t want to have an abortion, but they gave me 15 days because it was early, and the night before I was due to go in, I miscarried it. So God was very kind,” she said.

Mrs. Heinz Kerry stressed that she favors abortion rights “because I’d like to have that choice myself.”

Speaking to interviewer Barbara Walters, Mrs. Heinz Kerry said, “I presume that most women will look at a choice like that as a terrible choice. But they should be given the chance to make it, as I was.”

Mrs. Heinz Kerry and her late husband, Senator Heinz of Pennsylvania, have three sons. Mr. Kerry has two daughters from a previous marriage.

Mr. Heinz Kerry described herself as “pro-choice” – a political stance that has caused problems for Mr. Kerry in recent weeks, as some church leaders have said pro-choice Roman Catholic politicians should not receive communion. Mr. Kerry, a Massachusetts senator, has been attending church regularly and has not been denied communion.

In the interview, Mrs. Heinz Kerry, 65, also said she won’t release her personal income tax records, because she doesn’t have the right to share her sons’ records with the public. Some of their records are commingled with hers, Mrs. Heinz Kerry said, adding that she is working on separating the records so she can release her own tax information.

She also said she would have been terrified if her husband had told her when they got married that he wanted to run for president. If she had told him she was against it, Mrs. Heinz Kerry said she doesn’t think Mr. Kerry would have run.

“I think he believes, and I do too, this is such arduous work that it needs the commitment, intellectual if possible, certainly emotional, to ride this,” she said.

So, and we're going according to her because I'm trying to understand how's she's thinking on this, abortion stops life and only mindless girls would truly want to get one. Yet, girls who don't want to get abortions will get them anyway? That and even though Heinz Kerry believes abortion to be the ending of life process (which is just a softer way to say death), she's like to have the choice to get one or not.

I'm not following this logic. I'm not even going on whether I think it's rignt or not and i don't mean to start a debate like that (cuz I know how much we all love those threads), but can someone blonde this down for me?

ELVIS
05-07-2004, 03:26 PM
The Kerry's are too wrapped up in politics and their percieved image to stand firm on anything...

Abortion is murder...

High Life Man
05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Great PR work.

Get it out before it becomes headline news.

The story, that is, not the baby.

Ally_Kat
05-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, yeah, anyone can see it's PR work. But the thing is, why bring it up? She didn't have an abortion because she had the miscarriage, thus no paperwork about it -- no?