PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers That Are Head Hunters

jcook11
08-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Being a lefty and a pretty good athlete back in the day I had a pretty good curve ball average fastball and decent change up. One thing I could never stand though was any douche(Roger Clemens) that would intentioally through at a guys head. I know there are the unwritten rules about getting even with another team but purposely trying to plunk a guy in the dome is worse than bush. What say you?

Antman
08-31-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm really shocked that when Clemens was in the NL, no one put one in his fuckin ear. After he beaned Piazza (cause he owned him) Torre purposely changed the yankees rotation so he wouldn't have to pitch at Shea when they played the Mets. It's one thing to be a headhunter in the AL where you can hide behind the DH, but it takes balls to do it in the NL. I guess that's why there really isn't any in the NL. If you're a headhunter in the AL, you're really only fuckin your team by 1) getting ejected and 2) someone else on your team will have to take one for you. I would love to see Clemens just get brushed back with some 98 MPH chin music. He's need a new pair of panties. See how it feels.

POJO_Risin
08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
That's why pitchers pre-1980 in the NL...and pre 1970's in the AL were fucking studs...

because they would throw at your ear irregardless...

I have no problem with a pitcher goin' after it...

VanHalener
08-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jcook11
Being a lefty and a pretty good athlete back in the day I had a pretty good curve ball average fastball and decent change up. One thing I could never stand though was any douche(Roger Clemens) that would intentioally through at a guys head. I know there are the unwritten rules about getting even with another team but purposely trying to plunk a guy in the dome is worse than bush. What say you?

I was not the "best" pitcher around back in my day, but when you came up to the plate against me you faced the very best I had every time. My intention was to dominate you fairly with every pitch. Win some, lose some.
Chin music was never really something I pulled out of the bag, but I own that plate; you crowd it, I might whisper a little song called fast ball in there to back you off.
To nail a batter with intent is a cowardly thing to do, and such a pitcher derserves it when the batter runs up and takes his knees out with the bat.

IMHO

stringfelowhawk
09-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't know if you would consider him a "head hunter" per se' because he tended to hit batters more due to his control issues rather than intentions but I would fucking hate to get hit by Nolan Ryan's fast ball. He still holds the OFFICIAL record for fastest pitch in an actual game according to Guinness.

I shudder to think!

Romeo Delight
09-02-2007, 02:08 AM
I'll never forget my economics professor posing a question about "Moral Hazard" as it applies to pitchers in the National versus American leagues for a Final exam.

Moral hazard refers to the chance, or hazard, that a party in a transaction with more information about its intentions or actions behaves in a way that a party with less information would consider inappropriate, or in the extreme, "immoral". It arises because an individual or institution in a transaction does not bear the full consequences of its actions, and therefore has a tendency or incentive to act inappropriately, leaving another party in the transaction to take at least some responsibility for the consequences of those actions.

It was too funny looking at the faces of the women in the class as we discussed the answer to the question afterwards. I don't think many of them had any clue. Nice lob by the prof to the sports fans in the class.:baaa:

POJO_Risin
09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Wait a second...

the fucking Major Leagues...and intent makes you a pussy?

It should be the other way around...

which is the fucking problem...to much whining and pitching.

Let me tell you something...if Bob Gibson had someone "crowd the plate," or hit a dinger against him...

You can bet your ass the next time up...you are going down. And people DIDN'T throw at him...because of the respect...and the knowledge that at some point...you would be up against him.

Nolan Ryan? He buzzed plenty of people...THEY ALL DID.

I talked with Bob Feller at a minor league game once, and while he was talking to another guy...he had asked him about it...and Feller laughed...all 80 something years old...and he says...

These kids have no idea. They come out in the fifth...they are afraid to protect their teammates. When I pitched...I was afraid to come in the dugout if I didn't.

It's a different game.