PDA

View Full Version : Whitfield Crane for Anthrax?????

Don Corleone
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I mentioned this in the Dianno vs Bruce thread - seeminly Whit is in line to be the new Anthrax front man.

I've just taken a listen to some old UKJ albums, and somehow I can't hear Whit doing Deathrider.

What does everyone think???

binnie
08-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by chan_bkny

Whitfield Crane sounds ok here. I can hear him sing "Caught In A Mosh." Years ago, he sang in Life Of Agony after Keith Caputo left the band. Now I am curious to hear how Whitfield sounds in LOA.

They need to beg John Bush to come back...

Whitifield also formed a band called Medication with Logan Mader formally of Machine Head (they only ever released an EP). Don't let the UKJ stuff fool you, he's got a decent rock voice. I saw LOA with him at a UK Ozzfest (1998) and he did a decent job, although he's not Keith.

As for him joining Anthrax, I just don't feel it, he brings to much baggage with him and it smacks of "Anthrax + hired help", rather than a real band. I've always prefered John Bush's vocals to Bellandona's (I know I am in the minority here, and recognize that Anthrax made the better music with Belladonna, "Sound of the White Noise" notwithstanding), and of course Whitfield is closer to John than Joey.

But Anthrax has become a little bit of joke: the reunion was a great idea but they did it stupidly - by pissing of John Bush, they left themsleves no get out of jail card, and now Belladona has fucked off they are treading water.

A third singer runs the risk of this band loosing it's identity. And hiring someone with an established musical background, whether it be Corey Taylor, Whitfield Crane or whoever, makes them look desperate and lacking a sense of self.

If you're going to do it guys, hire an unknown.

One of my favourite bands EVER, but they are in a sorry state at the moment.

SparkieD
08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
What they need to do is get Neil Turbin back.

binnie
08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by SparkieD
What they need to do is get Neil Turbin back.

Ha Ha!!

Now he was a crazy motherfucker - Scott Ian said he used bring knives a stuff with him to photoshoots.

What the hell did he do after he left Anthrax?

Hope all is well Sparkie?

SparkieD
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Ha Ha!!

Now he was a crazy motherfucker - Scott Ian said he used bring knives a stuff with him to photoshoots.

What the hell did he do after he left Anthrax?

Hope all is well Sparkie?

He's got a band called...guess what...Deathriders:rolleyes: Haven't heard them, but I did hear a tidbit or two from Neil on his old website a couple of years back. He sounded excellent, at least what little I heard did. Better than he did in Anthrax.

All's swell, Bin. Just got home from the best vacation ever! Thanks for asking.

Don Corleone
08-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm still not hearing Whit singing the more up tempo stuff.

binnie
08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
I'm still not hearing Whit singing the more up tempo stuff.

That's a good point actually, I wonder if he is capable of that. He seemed to handle the hardcore-esque stuff from LOA, but I'm not too sure he could carry "Caught In a Mosh" - it'd never be like Joey, because his voice isn't high enough.

Whilst I'm sure the band wouldn't hire him if he couldn't cut it, I still think that it sounds like a terrible idea.

Mr. Vengeance
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
They SHOULD bring Neil Turbin back, because I always LOVED this album!!!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/418CJ06RECL._AA240_.jpg

FORD
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Then there's always that racist asshole Billy Milano.........

binnie
08-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by chan_bkny
Is he really?! You know, I've always wondered about S.O.D. Were they joking with all that "speak English or die" nonsense? Then I see that Scott Ian's in the band, too, so I think to myself, they can't be racist. What's the deal with S.O.D.?

Yes, it was clearly a joke.

Have you heard "The Ballad of Jimi Hendrix"? It last about five seconds and then someone says "He's Dead".

The whole S.O.D idea was a joke, and not necessarily a very funny one....

Hellraiser!!
08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Maybe Phil Anselmo will be the new frontman...

binnie
09-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Hellraiser!!
Maybe Phil Anselmo will be the new frontman...

That would be cool, but with his commitments to Down I just don't see it happening....

Padre Atilio
09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
They SHOULD bring Neil Turbin back, because I always LOVED this album!!!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/418CJ06RECL._AA240_.jpg

yes but another person who stood behind this great album was the basist Danny Lilker who then formed Nuclear Assault. He co-wrote 8 of 10 tracks of the album !

SparkieD
09-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Padre Atilio
yes but another person who stood behind this great album was the basist Danny Lilker who then formed Nuclear Assault. He co-wrote 8 of 10 tracks of the album !

Yeah, the tunes were way different after he left.

binnie
09-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Dan Liker is a funny one: Nuclear Assault had their moments, but Brutal Truth sucked....