PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix and Van halen

secrets
05-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I think, had he lived to see it through the 70's Hendrix would have been a fan of Van Halen. Especially Ed's palying which he would have really loved.

Well what do you guys think?

cwsmith17
05-09-2004, 02:09 AM
I definately agree. But Hendrix also thought that Chicago's lead gutar player was amazing. So if that's the case, he probably would have thought that Ed was a god. Jim would bow down to Ed. Dave has even said in Crazy From The Heat that Hendrix was only repeating what BB King was doing before his time.

cwsmith17
05-09-2004, 02:10 AM
I hope that I have not offended Jimi.

alexpgrimes
05-09-2004, 02:18 AM
I've never been a fan of Hendrix. Now let's talk about Stevie Ray Vaughn.

secrets
05-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
I've never been a fan of Hendrix. Now let's talk about Stevie Ray Vaughn.

How can you not like Hendrix but like Stevie Ray Vaughan. SRV's biggest influence was Hendrix all the way. If you listen to Testify from Texas Flood you can really hear a Jimi vibe.

BTW I think you can also hear a fair bit of Jimi in Ed's playing although technically he's faster and better. But I hear more Hendrix than say Clapton who is supposed to be Ed's main influence.

pete
05-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by cwsmith17
I definately agree. But Hendrix also thought that Chicago's lead gutar player was amazing. So if that's the case, he probably would have thought that Ed was a god. Jim would bow down to Ed. Dave has even said in Crazy From The Heat that Hendrix was only repeating what BB King was doing before his time.

DIE ASSWIPE!!!!!!!

everytime you express yourself you surpass your previous mark of stupidity, ignorance, and flaming fag-dom.

God I wanna slap you!

secrets
05-09-2004, 08:37 AM
I guess I'm thinking about those whammy bar dive bombs and strange noises like feedback, but also those freaky string bends too.

Panamark
05-09-2004, 08:37 AM
I wonder if Hendrix got to hear Allan Holdsworth ??

secrets
05-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I think he might have. Holdsworth played in Soft Machine in the 60's right?

Panamark
05-09-2004, 08:58 AM
I knew Holdsworth recorded in 69, what year did Hendrix die ?

Panamark
05-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Sept 1970...
So maybe he did get to hear some stellar guitar work...

BITEYOASS
05-09-2004, 09:29 AM
I think if Hendrix were still alive, he would have said: Eddie's guitar playing started turning into shit when Spammy joined the band.

secrets
05-09-2004, 10:47 AM
And he'd be right.

Mr Badguy
05-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Who`s to say that if Hendrix had lived, he wouldn`t have developed some of Eddie`s inventions.

Like two handed tapping.

I mean, when you think about it, why had noone thought of it before?

Do you think that if Ed hadn`t discovered it then we still wouldn`t know abouy it?

alexpgrimes
05-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by secrets
How can you not like Hendrix but like Stevie Ray Vaughan. SRV's biggest influence was Hendrix all the way. If you listen to Testify from Texas Flood you can really hear a Jimi vibe.

BTW I think you can also hear a fair bit of Jimi in Ed's playing although technically he's faster and better. But I hear more Hendrix than say Clapton who is supposed to be Ed's main influence. Just my taste I guess. I always thought Hendrix was overrated.

secrets
05-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
Just my taste I guess. I always thought Hendrix was overrated.

Fair enough. If we compare Hendrix in terms of technique then by today's Vai and Satriani standards he's weak no question.

Overall though, he is amazing as a song writer, rhthym and lead guitarist etc...

To me Hendrix is just hugely original and an incredibly powerful blues rock guitarist. Listen to "Driving South" off of "Radio One" - just amazing feel, incredible guitar playing!

Mr Grimsdale
05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I mean, when you think about it, why had noone thought of it before?

Eddie did NOT invent tapping, he popularised it.

Billy Gibbons was doing it back in the early 1970's. Brian May did it on whichever Queen album was released in 1977, the original guitarist in Genesis was doing it back in the late 1960's/early 1970's and I'm sure I remember seeing a picture of a jazz guitarist from the 1930's doing it too.

What Eddie did was take a lot of different techniques, put them together and present them in a format that Joe public could understand.

secrets
05-09-2004, 06:01 PM
This is so true, maybe Ed thought he invented tapping 'cause he used to turn his back to the audience in the early days so they couldn't see how he was making those amazing sounds when he did a solo.

I'd say Ed's really original stroke of genius was using his variac to crank those marshall amps and using a humbucker on a strat which no one had ever thought of before.

Mr Grimsdale
05-10-2004, 11:32 AM
secrets is scarily similar to me age wise and location wise!

am i secrets?

secrets = grimsdale

flappo
05-10-2004, 12:43 PM
..gawd help us

..the grimsdale twins !

:D

flappo
05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
..yeah , brian may was tapping in the bo rap video of 1975 too , look at the end of the song

..hendrix was ok , prefer clapton anyday , better singer too

..the stuff he did with cream still sounds fucking amazing now

secrets
05-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
secrets is scarily similar to me age wise and location wise!

am i secrets?

secrets = grimsdale

If you are me then who am I?

flappo
05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
..you're mr grimsdale

..silly billy

Mr Grimsdale
05-10-2004, 02:06 PM
kids these days eh?

Mr Badguy
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
secrets is a wank

am i secrets?

secrets = grimsdale

I dunno, you make as much sense as Cato!

Mr Badguy
05-10-2004, 04:31 PM
secrets is a fucker and drinks spunk

I say, steady on.

secrets
05-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Mr Badguy = a very bad guy

tobinentinc
05-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Maybe Jimi and Ed could have played together??

flappo
05-11-2004, 05:18 AM
..or with themselves ?

Golden AWe
05-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by flappo

..hendrix was ok , prefer clapton anyday , better singer too

..the stuff he did with cream still sounds fucking amazing now

Lyrics are grate too, "Politician", "Anyone for tennis"...they did so much in what, three years...

Wayne L.
05-11-2004, 09:13 AM
I think the late, great Jimi Hendrix would have been a VH fan as well as jamming with Eddie which would have been great.

Mr Grimsdale
05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
secrets is a fucker and drinks spunk
I say, steady on.

oi sunshine, i didn't say that

let's start an offensive thread in main and upset some people

Mr Grimsdale
05-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Mr Badguy = a very bad guy

mr badguy is the music fuhrer!

auf marsch!!

Mr Badguy
05-11-2004, 03:57 PM
oi sunshine, i didn't say that

Yes, but it woke you up.

This "Hendrix would have loved Van Halen" is a load of wank.

He never showed an inclination towards heavy rock/metal any more than he did jazz, pop or classical.

I think the work of EVH is less highly thought of outside the parochial world of heavy rock.

Jazz musicians wax lyrical about the groundbreaking work of Miles Davis but rock fans don`t know shit all about it.

Eddie Kramer has stated that Hendrix was moving towards jazz fusion in his final year so chances are he would have been out of the rock sphere by 1978.

secrets
05-11-2004, 06:42 PM

He never showed an inclination towards heavy rock/metal any more than he did jazz, pop or classical....

...Eddie Kramer has stated that Hendrix was moving towards jazz fusion in his final year so chances are he would have been out of the rock sphere by 1978.

Is there not some kind of contradiction in what you are saying? If he had no inclination towards jazz then why was he moving towards jazz fusion?

This whole thread is hypothetical anyway we will never know what would have been.

As for Jazz musicians not rating Ed's playing I couldn't say, but I know Alan Holdsworth rates EVH very highly as a guitarist.

Mr Grimsdale
05-12-2004, 04:57 AM
i'd like to add one thing to this debate

"fuck off parky!"

secrets
05-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Who's "parky" Mr.Grimsdale?

Mr Grimsdale
05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
gawd

are you really from this green and sainted island?

secrets
05-12-2004, 04:27 PM
gawd

are you really from this green and sainted island?

Yes indeed. I guess you mean Michael Parkinson, but who are you refering to. If it's me I'll take it as a complement "Parky" is ok in my book.

BTW what's with the attitude? U and Mr Bad guy seem to have it in for me.

secrets
05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Yes, but it woke you up.

Masturbation is your occupation so I'll take your word for it Badguy.

Mr Badguy
05-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Masturbation is your occupation so I'll take your word for it Badguy.

Oh dear.

My point about Hendrix and heavy rock/jazz is that Hendrix always gets lumped in with other "rock" guitarists when much of his music was not straight ahead rock as we know it today.

Much of his playing on "Axis: bold as love" owed much to Curtis Mayfield while on "Band of Gypsies" he pioneered rock/soul/funk crossover.

Those are just two examples.

I`m not saying that I don`t rate EVH as a phenomenal and inventive guitarist but just the thought of "If Hendrix had lived, he would have loved Van halen" doesn`t cut it with me.

How do you arrive at that assumption?

I`m sure if the two had met, they would have jammed as Hendrix was known to jam with anyone.

Any student of guitar will know EVH and Hendrix but there are so many others worthy of the same adulation.

Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Django Reinhart, Steve Howe, Richie Blackmore, John Williams etc.

Mr Badguy
05-13-2004, 08:47 AM

Don`t take it personal.

I don`t have it in for anybody.

I`m too busy wankingggg.

secrets
05-13-2004, 12:48 PM

I`m not saying that I don`t rate EVH as a phenomenal and inventive guitarist but just the thought of "If Hendrix had lived, he would have loved Van halen" doesn`t cut it with me.

How do you arrive at that assumption?

OK man cool. I don't honestly know if Hendrix would have loved Van Halen. But I do think that Van Halen was a pioneering band, that like Hendrix at times defy classification.

I remember reading somewhere that Hendrix was trying to take his playing in a new direction and he mentioned classical (Bach) flamenco as well as jazz. I listen to Eruption and hear flamenco and strong classical influences and figure Jimi would have loved that solo.

Mr Badguy
05-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but Hendrix loved music.

I don`t think it would matter what instrument it was played on.

It just sometimes bugs me when some of this Van Halen stuff goes into the realms of stupidity for no apparent reason.

Who says Hendrix would love Van Halen?

Too many posters just say shit like that and don`t discuss why.

I`m just waiting for the threads "Van Halen : Peoples band" or "God loves Van Halen".

secrets
05-13-2004, 05:26 PM
It just sometimes bugs me when some of this Van Halen stuff goes into the realms of stupidity for no apparent reason.

Who says Hendrix would love Van Halen?

Too many posters just say shit like that and don`t discuss why.

I`m just waiting for the threads "Van Halen : Peoples band" or "God loves Van Halen".

Here are my views on why Jimi Hendrix might've liked Van Halen:

Van Halen was not your average Heavy Metal band.
Van Halen went above and beyond that categorisation.
Van Halen was "a mixture of religion and hockey" or " high velocity rock and roll music" - DLR
Van Halen was an attitude that said hey we are gonna play whatever we like if we wanna play blues we will if we wanna play Motown we will and if we are playing too loud for you we'll just have to turn it up one louder.
Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar according to Frank Zappa. And he was right, not just the way it was played but how it looked too.
Van Halen had David Lee Roth who is without a doubt the most charismatic and energetic front man EVER to grace a stage....bar none.
Van Halen had class.

Enough reasons 4U?

Mr Badguy
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I think the late, great Jimi Hendrix would have been a VH fan as well as jamming with Eddie which would have been great.

I`m talking about shit like this.

What`s the point of agreeing with a topic with a vacuous post like this?

secrets
05-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I`m talking about shit like this.

What`s the point of agreeing with a topic with a vacuous post like this?

You're right. Let's have some debate going here people not just I agree or I disagree, Come on!

I've said my piece really anyone else out there want to add anything?

Mr Badguy
05-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Yes, Beethoven would have loved Van Halen and would have jammed with him.

And Buddy Holly.

Mr Grimsdale
05-14-2004, 04:04 PM

Nah. You're alright geezer.

Don't worry about Badguy, Flappo or me we mean you no harm. :)
Just a bit of a jape that's all.

FUCK OFF PARKY!

Mr Grimsdale
05-14-2004, 04:21 PM
ooh no missus no

secrets
05-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes, Beethoven would have loved Van Halen and would have jammed with him.

And Buddy Holly.

"If it's good enough for Beethoven it's good enough for me."

-David Lee Roth early 80's MTV interview.

Mr Grimsdale
05-17-2004, 03:30 PM
was that before he had the sex change?

secrets
05-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Beethoven had a sex change? Are you for real Mr. Grimsdale?

Mr Grimsdale
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
yes, mozart and mendelsonn too

Mr Grimsdale
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Are you for real Mr. Grimsdale?

now there's a question

flappo
05-18-2004, 06:02 AM
..no , he's a figment of my imagination !

Mr Grimsdale
05-18-2004, 09:48 AM
language timothy!