PDA

View Full Version : So Ya' Want a Delorean?

Nickdfresh
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
baltimoresun.com (www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.delorean21aug21,0,3063009.story)

DeLorean car gets future back

Associated Press

August 21, 2007

HUMBLE, Texas

In a nondescript warehouse in East Texas, mechanic and entrepreneur Stephen Wynne is bringing a rare sports car back to life. If he succeeds, he almost certainly has Michael J. Fox to thank.

A quarter century after DeLorean Motor Co. began making its glitzy, $25,000 two-seater - an operation that collapsed after two years - Wynne's small automotive outfit plans to bring the vehicle back into limited production at a 40,000-square-foot factory in this Houston suburb.

The creation of renowned automotive engineer John DeLorean, the automaker eventually made fewer than 9,000 cars, distinctive for their gull-wing doors, stainless-steel exterior and rear-engine design. An estimated 6,500 remain on the road.

Despite DeLorean Motor's flop, the car has persevered, gaining notoriety largely as the time machine Fox drove in the blockbuster 1985 movie, Back to the Future, and its two sequels.

The trilogy's enduring popularity on cable TV has exposed countless viewers - and potential customers - to a souped-up version of the DeLorean.

"There isn't a day somewhere in the world that Back to the Future isn't playing as a rerun," said Wynne, president of the new, privately held DeLorean Motor Co.

Wynne formed the company in 1995, when the bulk of his business was working on original DeLoreans at a Houston garage. Still, he needed a name, and because there was nothing legally preventing him from using the original, he decided to give it a shot. He even called John DeLorean, who wished him luck.

A dozen years later, Wynne hopes to parlay the car's celebrity - along with the world's biggest stash of DeLorean parts and engines - into a niche production business that begins hand-making two DeLoreans a month sometime next year. The company has just started taking orders.

Already, the Humble operation will take an existing DeLorean, strip it to the frame and rebuild it for a base price of $42,500. Wynne's staff can rebuild one every couple of months.

The company also handles routine maintenance, such as oil changes and tuneups, and ships 20 to 50 parts orders a day to mechanics and individual owners worldwide.

But because the original models are roughly 25 years old, finding suitable candidates to refurbish has become increasingly difficult.

So Wynne figured: Why not use the thousands of parts and hundreds of engines sitting in his large warehouse and build the cars from scratch?

"Everything seems to evolve around here, and that seemed to be the next logical step," said Wynne, a Briton who began working on DeLoreans in the 1980s in Los Angeles, becoming expert in their mechanics and equipment. He eventually expanded to suburban Houston and opted to make his base here, in part because of the lower cost of living.

Like other DeLorean mechanics at the time, Wynne bought replacement parts from an Ohio company, Kapac Co., which had acquired the original inventory when DeLorean failed. In 1997, when Kapac wanted out of the parts business, Wynne bought the supply for himself, though he declined to say how much he paid.

A decade later, he's decided to take the company to the next level: niche automaker.

The handmade cars will feature about 80 percent original parts. The other 20 percent will be new, supplier-made parts from companies such Valeo SA and the Bosch Group, said James Espey, a DeLorean Motor vice president.

The one limiting factor is the doors. The company has enough for about 500 cars, though it's important to keep some in stock for repairs and such. Beyond that, Espey said, the company is studying its options.

Enhancements to the new cars will include an improved stainless-steel frame, a stronger but lighter fiberglass underbody and electronics upgraded from the disastrous systems in the early DeLoreans. A peppier engine - the original cars' 135-horsepower was a downer for performance enthusiasts - will be available as an option.

"After working on these cars practically every day for 25 years, we've identified most of the issues and replaced them," Wynne said. "If there's a better part available, we'll use it. If there's a better way to install it, we'll do it."

The base price of a new DeLorean is expected to be $57,500 - roughly the same price a 1981 DeLorean would have cost in today's dollars. The company will sell the cars from its shop in Humble and affiliate shops in Bonita Springs, Fla.; Crystal Lake, Ill.; Bellevue, Wash.; and Orange County, Calif.
http://www.damox.com/cars/thumbs/Delorean/1981_Delorean_DMC12.jpg

FORD
08-21-2007, 03:45 PM
This guy should have taken advantage of the marketing hype and instead made an electric car that would have competed with the (soon to be released) Tesla Roadster.....

http://es.motorfull.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/Tesla-Roadster.jpg

Hardrock69
08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
This was in this morning's newspaper here in Gnashville.

Kinda neat what this guy is doing.

But then, he is not doing it for new techonology's sake.

He is doing it for the peeps that love the original car.

Viking
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
That Tesla roadster is schweet. Find me a way of getting us off the Mideast oil teat, and I'll buy one fueled by stale horse piss, as long as it has enough torque to get out of it's own way.......... :killer: I don' give a fuck what it runs on.

fryingdutchman
08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Viking
That Tesla roadster is schweet. Find me a way of getting us off the Mideast oil teat, and I'll buy one fueled by stale horse piss, as long as it has enough torque to get out of it's own way.......... :killer: I don' give a fuck what it runs on.

That, my friend, was pure poetry!

"Stale horse piss..." LMAO!!

Is FRESH horse piss any better? :D

But seriously...I'll take one of those new Deloreans ONLY (and I mean ONLY!) if I can get a vanity plate that says "OUTATIME"

(Hell...the pre-pubescent set over at the O & A fan club thinks we're all stuck in the mid-80's anyway...why not go whole hog?!?!?) :D

Nitro Express
08-25-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm in the middle of restoring a 1979 Lamborghini Countach 400 S. I got a great deal on the car because some idiot ran it hard without servicing the cooling system after the car sat unused for years.

The company I'm a partner in makes custom parts for aircraft restoration projects so we have a full on machine shop.

The Lambo V12 is in the process of of having new cylendar liners put in. I'm going to leave the car as stock as possible to keep it's collector integrity which means fucking tuning six carburators. That will be fun. Not.

Nitro Express
08-25-2007, 06:43 AM
That Lambo 12 is a neat engine. Mr. Lamborghini was a farmer who became one of the richest men in Italy making and selling tractors. The V 12 engine is good for high RPM's and also low RPM's if detuned. They have put them in military vehicles.

It would be cool to have a Lambo V 12 in a full sized truck. They sand cast all the pieces for these engines in Italy by hand! There's not too many of them so you almost have to buy a wrecked car to get one and they didn't make too many cars either.

I was very relieved to pull the Engine and transmission out and find everything was ok. The idiot overheated the engine and the liners went loose! The cams and crankshaft were ok. I was worried about the aluminum castings having hairline cracks. None were found.

Coyote
08-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd buy a DeLorean!

Nitro Express
08-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I guy in our nieghborhood had one when I was a teenager. I thought they were cool. The stainless body looked good and was really different.

I don't think they ever were meant to be a real performance car to begin with. Just something sylishly different.