PDA

View Full Version : More stupid Republican shit regarding gays

Nitro Express
09-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Definitely NOT Jewlicious
The opening invocation at the RNC today was performed by Sheri Dew of the Church of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons). Sheri spoke at a conference in Washington DC last February where she likened those not actively opposed to gay marriage to supporters of Hitler:

This escalating situation reminds me of a statement of a World War II journalist by the name of Dorothy Thompson who wrote for the Saturday Evening Post in Europe during the pre-World War II years when Hitler was building up his armies and starting to take ground. In an address she delivered in Toronto in 1941 she said this: “Before this epic is over, every living human being will have chosen. Every living human being will have lined up with Hitler or against him. Every living human being either will have opposed this onslaught or supported it, for if he tries to make no choice that in itself will be a choice. If he takes no side, he is on Hitler’s side. If he does not act, that is an act—for Hitler.”

May I take the liberty of reading this statement again and changing just a few words, applying it to what I fear we face today? “Before this era is over, every living human being will have chosen. Every living human being will have lined up in support of the family or against it. Every living human being will have either opposed the onslaught against the family or supported it, for if he tries to make no choice that in itself will be a choice. If we do not act in behalf of the family, that is itself an act of opposition to the family.”

Eschaton in presenting this story, linked to a letter to the editor that outlined the history of the LDS Church with respect to Hitler that ought to have given Sheri Dew pause before she went all Hitler this and Hitler that on folks.

William H. Munk of Salt Lake City Utah wrote to slmetro.com:

If Dew still wishes to ignore documented world history perhaps a refresher course in LDS church history is in order. Concerned members of the LDS Church in Germany asked then-president Heber J. Grant what they should do about Hitler’s rise in power. He told them not to make waves but rather to obey the 12th Article of Faith, which required them to honor and sustain their elected leaders. I could more accurately rephrase her statement to say those who oppose gay marriage are like the members of the LDS church who, at the counsel of their prophet, did not oppose Hitler and the Nazi Party.

Certainly she must aware of the story of Helmuth Hubener… He was an LDS youth who, with a few friends, secretly fought against Hitler and the Nazis. He was eventually arrested and executed for those actions but not before the LDS church excommunicated him for “conduct unbecoming a member of the church” or, as she so succinctly put it, opposing Hitler’s rise to power. By her comparison, the LDS leaders of the time, including President Heber J. Grant, were the type of people who would have supported gay marriage.

Maybe she should learn a little bit about Hitler and the Holocaust before calling anyone else a Nazi.

So it seems that abusing the whole Nazi / Hitler thing (one of my pet peeves) is not just within the unique purview of the extreme left. I mean, regardless of what your views are on gay marriage - Dew’s attack was not just offensive and hateful, but unbelievably stupid and ignorant. I’m embarrassed for the Republican Party.

FORD
09-02-2007, 02:08 PM
So if you DON'T oppress gays and deny their civil rights, you're a Nazi?? :confused: