PDA

View Full Version : Fave StompBox

Hecubus
05-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I've gotta go with my Pro Co Rat pedal. That & my Phase 90.

I'm looking to get something else soon...maybe an echo effect or something....

Panamark
05-11-2004, 08:01 AM
That Rat Deucetone looks interseting...

Ive got a Line6 Pod which is ok. Plus various BOSS
pedals and even an old Ibanez Tube Screamer..
I still prefer the sound of a good humbucker
plugged directly into a distorting Marshall over any
of the effects units Ive tried.

Big Troubles
05-11-2004, 06:07 PM
MXR Phase 90. Simple, and yet all the sound you want.

Panamark
05-12-2004, 07:14 AM
hmmm MXR Phase 90, hey ?

Panamark
05-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Is this it ?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/MXR/Phase_90-01.html

BrownSound1
05-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Hmmm, I probably use my Vox wah more than any other pedal. Got a Classic Rat which is ok, a Tube Screamer, and an old Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, which is probably my favorite distortion. My favorite flanger is of course my MXR M117.

Panamark
05-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Brownsound1, you sound like you got the same pedals as me. I dont have the Rat, but Ive got the Tube Screamer (Ibanez) and the BOSS HM2. The HM2 is pretty nasty (as in major distortion achieveable !!)
I would only ever use that sucker in lead breaks. Tube screamer is good for rhythm work at lower volumes with the Marshall..

Big Troubles
05-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Is this it ?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/MXR/Phase_90-01.html

Thats the one. I use that and a Dunlop wah, with a stereo flanger and MT Zone distrtion. Im leaning towards a stereo chorus, tremelo (if the sound produced is what im after- ala white stripes) and an octave.

Panamark
05-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Those stereo chorus pedals can be fun if you got the two amps happening !

Cathedral
05-18-2004, 04:19 AM
I'm still in rack unit mode...all of my stomp boxes are old and don't work very well anymore so they have been retired to a box in the closet.

BrownSound1
05-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Brownsound1, you sound like you got the same pedals as me. I dont have the Rat, but Ive got the Tube Screamer (Ibanez) and the BOSS HM2. The HM2 is pretty nasty (as in major distortion achieveable !!)
I would only ever use that sucker in lead breaks. Tube screamer is good for rhythm work at lower volumes with the Marshall..

You're absolutely right, the Tube Screamer can give you a kick arse rhythm tone, and the HM-2 really can push you over the top. Glad to see I'm not the only HM-2 fan around here.

Mr Grimsdale
05-21-2004, 08:36 AM
the MXR Phase 90 pedal i just JUST bought!

Panamark
05-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Are you happy with it ? Are you cranking out Unchained through it ?
(Im assuming its a flanger type pedal ?)

Panamark
05-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Lots of people recommend it..

Mr Grimsdale
05-21-2004, 09:37 AM
I 100% happy with it. Lovely warm sounding phaser.

I think it's the pedal Eddie actually used on the first 4 records. It rocks. Don't know whether I want to try the R28 mod they talk about on that link you provided earlier. Seems a bit brutal particularly since I like the sound straight out of the box.

flappo
05-23-2004, 03:26 AM
..he said box

uhuhuhuhu

Panamark
05-23-2004, 04:28 AM
Im going to have to buy me one of these. I think Im only one here that doesnt own one !!

BrownSound1
05-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Ed doesn't use the Phase 90 on Unchained. On that he uses an MXR M117 flanger.

Mr Grimsdale
05-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Damn!!
I bought the wrong pedal!!!!! Reading the Jim Dunlop promo stuff that came with the pedal they don't make that particular pedal at the moment.

It's still damn good though.

BrownSound1
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
They made it for a while, but I noticed they discontinued it as well. You can find ORIGINAL MXR flangers on Ebay for about the same price. The big difference is they don't run on 9volt batteries, and don't have an LED on them like the Dunlop version did. The original flanger is a tank, that runs on 120vac, and I'm sure there are some European versions out as well. Kind of cool to have a pedal that has a power chord on it as big as my amp does. :D

Mr Grimsdale
05-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Great, another possible method of electrocution!

The only MXR pedals they make at the moment are:
M101 MXR Phase 90
M102 MXR Dyna Comp
M103 MXR Blue Box
M104 MXR Distortion+
M107 MXR Phase 100
M109 MXR 6B Graphic EQ
M133 MXR Micro Amp

BrownSound1
05-29-2004, 03:57 AM
I'm really surprised they quit making the MXR M117 reissue...it is certainly a more infamous pedal than some of those.

ThrillsNSpills
05-29-2004, 09:20 AM
SansAmp

For recording and playing live.
You can control feedback at low volumes. The tone is amazing.
You get a warm sounding distorted tone and can tweak the thing to your preferences.

Big Troubles
05-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Ed doesn't use the Phase 90 on Unchained. On that he uses an MXR M117 flanger.

Far as I know, the phase 90 is only audable on VH 1 and 2. He dove staright into over drives and flangers after 1980.

Big Troubles
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I just put a bid in on a Boss DD6 Digital Delay. Bid started at $20 Us.
Nobody outbid me! :D

BrownSound1
05-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Far as I know, the phase 90 is only audable on VH 1 and 2. He dove staright into over drives and flangers after 1980.

I can hear it on the other albums, but it is very subtle. I've never heard of him using an overdrive except with Van Hagar...and that was only to boost his signal going into his Crybaby. He went with a lot of harmonizer and chorus type effects during the Gahar years too. The last of the "brown sound" was on 1984.

Big Troubles
05-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I can swear that overdrive was used on some of the tracks on VH1 and WACF no? some of those notes Ed hits are pretty low.

Big Troubles
05-29-2004, 04:51 PM
yeah I can hear some phase shifting on a few songs after VH2, nothing major though. He really started to dig his Flanger I believe. ;)

Mr Grimsdale
05-31-2004, 04:42 PM
so am i right in thinking the MXR90 was used on ATBL and atomic punk?

BrownSound1
06-01-2004, 02:53 AM
No, Ed used a flanger on those tunes. Actually on Atomic Punk he used the Phase 90 for the scratching part at the beginning and after the solo, and then on the verse he used a flanger. ATBL is straight flanger all the way through.

I can't hear an overdrive on any of that early stuff. When you've got a Variac kicking the voltage up on a Plexi, then you don't need an overdrive. Plus, Ed said he couldn't stand the sound of distortion pedals, and from the pics I've seen of his early rig, he didn't use one. In fact his tone gets less distorted with each consecutive album. All of that stuff is 100% Marshall Plexi tone.

Big Troubles
06-01-2004, 08:27 AM
yes, pahse 90 on Atomic Punk for sure. But the ATBL using a flanger? I have trouble fattening my chords with my Flanger. It's too "cosmic" or "stereo". Eddy was using original shit, and I think it was a better cleaner sound. check it out:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/258/

Big Troubles
06-01-2004, 08:29 AM
he's got 4 pedals there. 1 phase shifter, overdrive, octave and original flanger. Then stacks. :D Lots of stacks!

flappo
06-01-2004, 12:08 PM
..my fave stomp box is your fragile ego

:D

Big Troubles
06-01-2004, 01:13 PM
my "fragile ego" is your favorite stomp box? I suppose that would hurt my feelings a little, if it made any sense at all. But um, whatever you say man. ;) Keep trying, you're getting better at this sort of thing.

flappo
06-01-2004, 03:55 PM
..better ?

..i'm the gratest !

Mr Grimsdale
06-01-2004, 04:01 PM
in that context is come spelt like that?

BrownSound1
06-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I mentioned him using an overdrive to boost his Crybaby signal...but that is the rig has Van Hagar written all over it. Ed did not use a distortion pedal in the Dave years.

On ATBL, you have to watch how much depth (width on the MXR) and regeneration you have cranked or you will get that metallic pipe sound. It definately isn't an over the top flange by any means...more of a "combing" effect than a jet plane flange.

Big Troubles
06-02-2004, 09:14 AM
cool. good to know. I think I will tweak my shit a bit more.
I agree, I think that link showed Ed's gear in the 85 and up years. Too much stack for the older days too.

Big Troubles
06-02-2004, 09:15 AM
now, I want a chorus pedal. Boss CH-1 does seem to be the route to take. Whats your take on this? I want that clean, poppy sound...Like Nazareth uses in Love Hurts. That sound right? And I know Ed used the Chrous alot early on as well.

Mr Grimsdale
06-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I've got a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble and that does the trick for me. I've never made use of the stereo output so I can't comment on how good/bad that sounds.

Big Troubles
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Ive heard nothing but good things on the stereo outputs. Pricey though. Like $300 here(Canadian)

BrownSound1
06-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Ed used a Roland Chorus/Echo unit on Diver Down. I have never been able to replicate that sound, especially on Pretty Woman.

Big Troubles
06-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I always wondered what he used on Pretty Woman. I would've guessed Flanger/Overdrive. Hmm.. Im way off.

Hecubus
06-03-2004, 11:50 PM
God I hate that song. That & Dancing in the Streets are such a waste of tape...

Big Troubles
06-03-2004, 11:52 PM
I agree with Dancin' in the Streets. But Pretty Woman rocks for me. I love intruder, big time, leading into. freaky shit.

BrownSound1
06-04-2004, 08:08 AM
No BT, Ed didn't use overdrives in those days, and still doesn't...in the traditional sense. He only uses one now when he kicks on his wah, as a boost, because the Crybaby's output cuts the signal down a bit. Remember he's using a Bradshaw switcher too, which keeps the effects out of the main signal path until they are needed. So the overdrive ONLY comes into play when the Crybaby selector button has been hit. Other than that it isn't in the chain.

Big Troubles
06-04-2004, 09:05 AM
he certainly does a masterful job of making guitar sounds- with different techiniques as opposed to traditional sense. I think thats why I like classic Ed better. He used to make ya think about "how does he do that?". I can't remember the last time he "wow'd" me.

jacksmar
06-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Toss up between Tube Screamer and Marshall GV2 and Boss HM2.

manwiththedogs
09-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Electro-Harmonix Bassballs( the old one, not the re-issue)
Boss Bass Chorus
Morley Fuzz Wah

sambo
09-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Aphek Peanut Butter pedal - the most natural overdrive I've ever played. Made in Australia.

www.aphekstudio.com.au/currpnut.htm

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Aphek/Peanut_Butter_Distortion-01.html

Original 70's MXR Phase 90 (script logo)

SansAmp GT2

Nitro Express
09-09-2004, 03:05 AM
DOD 250 Preamp: Great peddle to overdrive any amp with. It simply boosts the signal without coloring the sound unlike most distortion peddles do. This peddle sounds great at any volume. Yngwie Malmsteen uses this peddle. I have no idea why more people don't use this peddle. I've tried the Boss DS-1, the Ibanez Tube Screamer, the Pro Co Ratt peddle and I just didn't like the peddle coloring the sound. With the DOD 250, I can drive a 50 watt Marshall at bedroom practice levels and still get great sound or crank the bugger and make the amp sound hot rodded. You get the sound and characteristics of the amp and not the peddle. I LOVE IT and these things are dirt cheap. I use my Marshall 1987 reissue head for everything. For bedroom practice I plug it into a Marshall 1x12 cab with a 70 Celesian speaker in it and use the DOD 250 to dirty the sound up at low volumes. I get great sound. For gigs I plug the same amp into a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celesian 25 watt speakers. I push it with the DOD 250 and get great sound. Very versitile. I see no need to use a hotplate.

I love my script logo MXR Phase 90 I bought on Ebay. I just had to have an original one.

I also bought an Maestro Echoplex on Ebay. The same model Eddie use to use. The tape echo is cool but these old echo units boost and thicken your sound. I'm using it to shape my signal before it goes into the amp.

Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face. I got an original but I love to use it for Pete Townsend and Jimi Hendrix stuff. puch the button on a cranked Marshall and you get the best bezerk tones you've ever heard. These peddles really vary in sound. Some really sound thin and lifeless and others sound great.

sambo
09-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I love my script logo MXR Phase 90 I bought on Ebay. I just had to have an original one.

I did exactly the same, gotta love Ebay, and the old Phase 90s.

I think the DOD does exactly the same as the Aphek Butter - no coloring of your sound - just replicates the exact sound of your amp.

Hecubus
09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Next up for me....it's wah time.

Crybaby or Vox?

Hmmm...good idea to boost my thread count.

manwiththedogs
09-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Hecubus

Crybaby or Vox?

Between those two? Crybaby all the way, you should definitely check out what Morley has to offer before buying tho.

sambo
09-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Hecubus

Crybaby or Vox?

For me, Crybaby. I sold my old Crybaby for a Morley Bad Horsie Wah and then traded it back for a Crybaby - to me it is a more classic, true wah sound.. Morley was a bit extreme for my liking, but it is a matter of taste, try them all. A friend of mine just bought the Boss V-Wah and loves it over his Crybaby. You can check it out below..

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/PW-10/index.html

Panamark
09-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Whats all your guys thoughts on the DOD WAH ?
Ive got one here, very good construction, but to my ears
its not a crybaby. Is built to stomp on though....

I quite like it.. Not a crybaby, but its not that bad.....

Terry
09-16-2004, 04:58 PM
ProCo Rat distortion, Boss Digital Delay and Boss Flanger.

The Rat gets the most use, sometimes the digital delay, but I tend to have the delay output on half and the space between the original and delay notes very close (less than half a second) with only one repeat.

Lately I've just left the reverb all the way up on my amp. For some reason, I'm digging it. Also have the treble and mid down to zero, and the bass on ten. Used to be the other way around. Too many years of piercing high end gain have recently started to give my some loss of hearing. Having the bass all the way up and everything else down to zero is more soothing.

Not that any of that has to do with stompboxes (hee hee)

Don Corleone
09-18-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
The only MXR pedals they make at the moment are:
M101 MXR Phase 90
M102 MXR Dyna Comp
M103 MXR Blue Box
M104 MXR Distortion+
M107 MXR Phase 100
M109 MXR 6B Graphic EQ
M133 MXR Micro Amp

Don't forget this one (something else Ed is pimping).

Hecubus
09-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I agree with Dancin' in the Streets. But Pretty Woman rocks for me. I love intruder, big time, leading into. freaky shit.

I'll buy that for a dollar. I actually listened to it on my South American Assault cd today & it meshes pretty well.