PDA

View Full Version : B-52 mistakenly flies with nukes aboard

BITEYOASS
09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/09/marine_nuclear_B52_070904w/

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Sep 5, 2007 5:36:22 EDT

A B-52 bomber mistakenly loaded with five nuclear warheads flew from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., on Aug. 30, resulting in an Air Force-wide investigation, according to three officers who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss the incident.

The B-52 was loaded with Advanced Cruise Missiles, part of a Defense Department effort to decommission 400 of the ACMs. But the nuclear warheads should have been removed at Minot before being transported to Barksdale, the officers said. The missiles were mounted onto the pylons of the bomber’s wings.

Advanced Cruise Missiles carry a W80-1 warhead with a yield of 5 to 150 kilotons and are specifically designed for delivery by B-52 strategic bombers.

Air Force spokesman Lt. Col. Ed Thomas said the transfer was safely conducted and the weapons were in Air Force custody and control at all times.

However, the mistake was not discovered until the B-52 landed at Barskdale, which left the warheads unaccounted for during the approximately 3 1/2 hour flight between the two bases, the officers said.

An investigation headed by Maj. Gen. Douglas Raaberg, director of Air and Space Operations at Air Combat Command Headquarters, was launched immediately to find the cause of the mistake and figure out how it could have been prevented, Thomas said.

Air Force officials wouldn’t officially specify whether nuclear weapons were involved, in accordance with long-standing Defense Department policy regarding nuclear munitions, Thomas said. However, the three officers close to the situation did confirm the warheads were nuclear.

Officials at Minot immediately conducted an inventory of its nuclear weapons after the oversight was discovered, and Thomas said he could confirm that all remaining nuclear weapons at Minot are accounted for.

“Air Force standards are very exacting when it comes to munitions handling,” he said. “The weapons were always in our custody and there was never a danger to the American public.”

At no time was there a risk for a nuclear detonation, even if the B-52 crashed on its way to Barksdale, said Steve Fetter, a former Defense Department official who worked on nuclear weapons policy in 1993-94. A crash could ignite the high explosives associated with the warhead, and possibly cause a leak of the plutonium, but the warheads’ elaborate safeguards would prevent a nuclear detonation from occurring, he said.

“The main risk would have been the way the Air Force responded to any problems with the flight because they would have handled it much differently if they would have known nuclear warheads were onboard,” he said.

The risk of the warheads falling into the hands of rogue nations or terrorists was minimal since the weapons never left the United States, according to Fetter and Michael O’Hanlon, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, an independent research and policy think tank in Washington, D.C.

The crews involved with the mistaken load at the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot have been temporarily decertified from performing their duties involving munitions pending corrective actions or additional training, Thomas said.

Air Combat Command will have a command-wide mission stand down Sept. 14 to review their procedures in response to this oversight, he said.

“The Air Force takes its mission to safeguard weapons seriously,” he said. “No effort will be spared to ensure that the matter is thoroughly and completely investigated.”

----

Now another reason why we should have no nukes. That and there are too many Christians in the military who adhere to the fundie end of times cult. Some of them got tired of waiting on god and wanted to take care of it themselves probably. WTF indeed!

Nickdfresh
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Ooops!

Redballjets88
09-05-2007, 02:30 PM
thats exciting.

LoungeMachine
09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Yet not a peep from the White House.

Who needs Al Qaeda?

We're perfectly capable of nuking ourselves.

:gulp:

BITEYOASS
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Yet not a peep from the White House.

Who needs Al Qaeda?

We're perfectly capable of nuking ourselves.

:gulp:

Yeah, cause we got a bunch of Rapture nuts in the military. The Lord told me to load that nuke in order to deliver his will. I think it is God job to do that, he doesn't need humans to start a fuckin apocalypse. And it won't end like St. Peter describes. It will consists of one big fuckin rock colliding into our big rock (earth) and that'll be the end of it. They need to put in the Air Force psychiatric evaluations with questions like:

-What is your opinion of Pastor Hagee?

-How often do you watch the 700 club?

-How many Left Behind books do you own?

Nitro Express
09-07-2007, 03:14 AM
If the Air Force runs like FEMA, we're fucked!

Nickdfresh
09-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, I rally don' think this is a big deal from the weapon's safety stand point...

They stopped ferrying them live because of what happened when a nuke-laden B-52 crashed off Spain in the late 60s or early 70s.

I think there some incidents of bombs accidentally being dropped from older B-47s or B-58s in the 1950s, but people were a little more forgiving of their gov't then...

Even if it hits the ground, a nuclear explosion won't happen. But it is a little scary that the command and control (the facet of nuclear weapons that makes them very expensive to own) broke down like this...

FORD
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
They need to put in the Air Force psychiatric evaluations with questions like:

From what I've heard recently about the Air Force Academy, they probably DO ask those questions. Only the answers they're looking for are the opposite of what you would think they should be.

The fact that the academy is in Colorado Springs, official western capitol of the Religious Reich, is apparently no coincidence.

BITEYOASS
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by FORD
From what I've heard recently about the Air Force Academy, they probably DO ask those questions. Only the answers they're looking for are the opposite of what you would think they should be.

The fact that the academy is in Colorado Springs, official western capitol of the Religious Reich, is apparently no coincidence.

Plus with the amount of Friendly fire incidents in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's no wonder the entire ACC is on stand down right now. On a side note the Navy and USMC aviation communities are a total 180 with a mix of a few religious folks (non-fundies), pagans, boozers, dykes, nutjobs and other people who do crazy shit on their liberty; yet they don't have anywhere near the amount of on-duty fuckups the Air Force has nowadays (off-duty, that's another story). Probably cause a lot of the Air Force today consists of home-schooled fundie suburbanites. This may have been different in the past, I don't know. But Robin Olds is probably rolling in his grave right now.

BITEYOASS
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
uh-oh, I should have checked that warhead. But that huge crater on Las Vegas doesn't matter cause my salvation in Christ will set me a place in Heaven. :rolleyes:

scamper
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well, I rally don' think this is a big deal from the weapon's safety stand point...

They stopped ferrying them live because of what happened when a nuke-laden B-52 crashed off Spain in the late 60s or early 70s.

I think there some incidents of bombs accidentally being dropped from older B-47s or B-58s in the 1950s, but people were a little more forgiving of their gov't then...

Even if it hits the ground, a nuclear explosion won't happen. But it is a little scary that the command and control (the facet of nuclear weapons that makes them very expensive to own) broke down like this...

Agreed, the point of this is that they were missing nukes and didn't know it.

Nitro Express
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, cause we got a bunch of Rapture nuts in the military. The Lord told me to load that nuke in order to deliver his will. I think it is God job to do that, he doesn't need humans to start a fuckin apocalypse. And it won't end like St. Peter describes. It will consists of one big fuckin rock colliding into our big rock (earth) and that'll be the end of it. They need to put in the Air Force psychiatric evaluations with questions like:

What's interesting is no place in the bible is the word RAPTURE ever mentioned. Plus, nobody knows who John the Revelator was. The Book of Revelations were some old writings that the Council of Nicea decided to put at the end of the bible to wrap it up.

FORD
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
What's interesting is no place in the bible is the word RAPTURE ever mentioned. Plus, nobody knows who John the Revelator was. The Book of Revelations were some old writings that the Council of Nicea decided to put at the end of the bible to wrap it up.

The "Rapture" scenario, as the fundies teach it wasn't mentioned specifically, but there are Bible passages which allude to it.

Paul refers to a time when " the dead in Christ shall rise first, then we who remain shall meet Him in the air.

Revelation refers to Jesus finally returning to Jerusalem to establish His millenial reign, and bringing a huge crowd of people.

The Holy Spirit is described in the Bible as not only a comforter to believers, but as the one who restrains Satan and limits his ability to act on earth. In other words, for Satan to be in total control of the Earth, the Holy Spirit would have to depart from this world. And that would not happen as long as there were believers here.

Combining these three teachings makes the case for the Rapture argument, and most fundies believe the Rapture will happen before the seven year Tribulation period, during which the Antichrist will lead a worldwide dictatorship

Most fundies also believe (and the Left Behind books also use this scenario) that the Rapture will follow soon after the Russian-led attack on Israel described in Ezekiel 38-39. A prophecy which could very easily come true if the BCE and/or Israel go through with their obviously planned attack on Iran.

Which is why the fundigelical nutcases like Hagee openly encourage war in Iran, despite the blatant contradiction with true Christian values.

Nitro Express
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I believe Christ existed because somebody had one hell of a following going but he never wrote any scripture that we know of. We know he gave many sermons and taught in parables. What is written came later and the New Testament was pieced together out of old accounts and letters. It's rediculouse to put any kind of accuracy on that book.

The Mormon gimmick is the Book of Mormon shores up the bible. Funny, that the part from Isiah Joseph Smith suppossedly translated from reformed Egyptian on gold plates exactly matches the Isiah in the King James Bible. Damn were those English scholors good at interpreting those ancient Greek texts!

Give me a fucking break!

I can beat the fundies. I was sealed up to come forth in the morning of the first ressurection and become a God in the Mormon temple. I have the secret handshakes and know all the code words. LOL!

FORD
09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
When you become a God, can you make me a planet with no Republicans and no Hagar sheep?

Nitro Express
09-08-2007, 12:09 AM
When you become a God, can you make me a planet with no Republicans and no Hagar sheep?

Yup. You become a God, you're Alpha and Omega. I'll be busy screwing all my Goddess wives though.

FORD
09-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Holy fucking shit!! :eek:

Did anybody else catch this??

Air Combat Command will have a command-wide mission stand down Sept. 14 to review their procedures in response to this oversight, he said.

Get that??

There will be NO air defenses for this country tomorrow!!

Should we be worried about that??

Maybe, maybe not. Except for the fact that Israel has completely grounded El-Al airlines tomorrow as well.

Is the BCE about to manufacture their excuse for attacking Iran? :(

Lqskdiver
09-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Get that??

Maybe, maybe not. Except for the fact that Israel has completely grounded El-Al airlines tomorrow as well.

Stand by to hit the panic button, Dave.

Nitro Express
09-14-2007, 04:25 AM

Get that??

Who knows. Sometimes I think we are past the point of no return. Our elections for the global elite are like them betting on a horse race when they own all the horses.

The US Dollar is an absolute basket case and can fail at anytime along with our economy.

Our govt. and military are so infiltrated with crooks and spooks, niether organization is worthy of our trust.

It's all a fucking mess at ever angle on the compass. It's so fucked up, I can't blame people for being religiouse because only God can fix the fucking mess now. Maybe he will.

knuckleboner
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM

are you sure they're not just referring to the fly-over-the-continental-U.S.-bomber-training missions?...

NATEDOG001976
09-16-2007, 02:47 PM
It's just too bad we did not pull all the troops and drop it on Iraq. Problem solved!