PDA

View Full Version : Clinton returning $850K linked to Hsu

Warham
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
The money came from 260 donors associated with the disgraced Democratic fundraiser. The campaign had recently called him 'legit.'

By Robin Fields, Chuck Neubauer and Tom Hamburger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
4:39 PM PDT, September 10, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Confronted with new evidence that it had ignored warnings about fundraiser Norman Hsu, Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign abruptly announced late today that it was returning $850,000 from 260 donors associated with Hsu.

The announcement was made five minutes after the Los Angeles Times asked Clinton officials to respond to mid-June campaign e-mails the newspaper obtained that dismissed concerns about Hsu and his business practices.

"I can tell you with 100 [sic] certainty that Norman Hsu is NOT involved in a ponzi scheme," wrote Samantha Wolf, who had the title West Coast finance director for the campaign. She has since left the campaign. "He is COMPLETELY legit." She wrote the e-mail in June to a party official who was asking questions about Hsu and his reputation in the financial world.

The campaign also announced it was instituting new procedures to check out major contributors, including running criminal background checks.

Hsu, 56, has contributed or raised more than $1.2 million for Clinton and other Democrats -- one of the party's leading fundraisers. But Hsu became a source of embarrassment after The Times revealed in late August that he was a fugitive wanted on a 15-year-old bench warrant stemming from an early 1990s investment fraud case. He called the matter a misunderstanding, then failed to show at a San Mateo County hearing and was rearrested last week in Colorado after falling ill there on an eastbound train.

sadaist
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by WAR
was rearrested last week in Colorado after falling ill there on an eastbound train.

Who the fuck still rides trains?

Warham
09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
He's most likely afraid to take flights, for fear that Clinton operatives are after him.

He's probably on their top ten list, if you know what I mean.

thome
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
If they ask him to carry a briefcase to Bosnia he should worry.

DEMON CUNT
09-11-2007, 01:08 AM
http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/1237/Abramoff.jpg

KACHING! Heh heh, them injuns sure gotta lotta money. Heh heh. Where's Condi?

Nitro Express
09-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Who the fuck still rides trains?

people scared of flying and drunk drivers I guess.

Guitar Shark
09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/1237/Abramoff.jpg

KACHING! Heh heh, them injuns sure gotta lotta money. Heh heh. Where's Condi?

Taking a page out of Warham's "BUT CLINTON!!!" book? ;)

Lqskdiver
09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
$850k seems very low to me for the rep this guy has earned. I'm sure there was more that was reported through various outlets but still had the stink of Hsu on it.

Warham
09-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Who is Hillary returning this money to?

Warham
09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

If I ever write it, It'll be #1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

DEMON CUNT
09-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Of course!

Warham
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Hsu better watch out, or he might end up in a body bag before he goes to prison.

Nickdfresh
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by WAR
Hsu better watch out, or he might end up in a body bag before he goes to prison.

Taking a page out of Ford's conspiracy book?

Warham
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Na, but it's always good for a few laughs. :)

But seriously, why take a train?

DEMON CUNT
09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by WAR

Yeah, just ask Vince Foster.

Nitro Express
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by WAR
Na, but it's always good for a few laughs. :)

But seriously, why take a train?

Hsu gave all his money to Hillary and couldn't afford a plane.

knuckleboner
09-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

taking a page out of GS's sarcasm book?
:D

Warham
09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Hillary says that she's a victim in all this and never knew the guy, although they met each other at some fundraiser.

She's going to do the noble thing and send the tainted money back to the donors. What a saint.

FORD
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by WAR
If I ever write it, It'll be #1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

Assuming Rupert Murdoch and Richard Mellon Scaife buy up the first million copies like they do with all the Hannity and Coulter books.

LoungeMachine
09-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by WAR
Hillary says that she's a victim in all this and never knew the guy, although they met each other at some fundraiser.

Taking a page out of the George Bush / Kenny Lay book?

or taking a page out of the George Bush / Jack Abramoff book?

or taking a page out of the George Bush / Jimmy/Jeff Gannon/Guckert book?

Warham
09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't believe any of 'em.

I think you are starting to rub off! Stop it!

LoungeMachine
09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by WAR
I don't believe any of 'em.

I think you are starting to rub off! Stop it!

:gulp:

Warham
09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe I'm weary of politics and politicians. They are in it for power anyway.

DEMON CUNT
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by WAR
Maybe I'm weary of politics and politicians.

Me too. On all sides.

Warham
09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I spend alot of time arguing with you guys about Republicans vs. Democrats, but in the end they all cover each others asses anyway.

I should take the same stand I took in my twenties: why bother voting when it doesn't matter?

DEMON CUNT
09-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh snap! Warhead is right. The fix was in on Hsu! No wonder he turned himself in!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118964287463525841.html?mod=hpp_us_whats_news

How much do you think Hilary kissed his ass when she got the check?

knuckleboner
09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by WAR
I spend alot of time arguing with you guys about Republicans vs. Democrats, but in the end they all cover each others asses anyway.

I should take the same stand I took in my twenties: why bother voting when it doesn't matter?

primaries and local elections, dude. good national politicians don't just spring forward. they have to come from somewhere.

support the good ones to start and we just might get a better crop of national ones eventually...