PDA

View Full Version : This is why Kieth Richards will always be one of the true kings of rock and roll.

Nitro Express
09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Want real rock and roll? Here it is!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyK0y02HvVc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyK0y02HvVc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Satan
09-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Keith's always been great about that. You don't come on stage and fuck with HIS band.

At the SARSstock concert in Toronto in 2003, the Stones, for some strange reason, invited Justin Timberlake on stage to ruin, er uh sing along with "Miss You".

The crowd (Stones, Ac/Dc, and Rush fans mostly) didn't like Justin and showed their "appreciation" by throwing bottles and a bunch of other shit on stage.

Keith can be seen challenging certain members of the audience to a fist fight. Keep in mind he was about 61 at the time.....

Later he was asked about his efforts to "defend" Timberlake. "Nah, it wasn't about Justin. He's not in my band. I was afraid they were gonna hit Mick or Charlie".

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Both of the above examples really make me wonder how Richards hasn't wound up in Phil Spector's shoes yet. There are THOUSANDS of examples of Richards pulling knives and guns on people, not least of all his friend and bandmate Ron Wood on at least two occassions.

Antman
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Wasn't that Bill Wyman he hit?

Satan
09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Antman
Wasn't that Bill Wyman he hit?

Nah, just some asshole who rushed the stage.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-15-2007, 05:36 PM
No, he would never touch Bill Wyman. Bill wouldn't have put up with it, and, being such the thriftiest band member, he definititely would have sued.

Wood got a taste of Richards fist on the '81 tour, when Richards found out that Wood was freebasing (the band began to secretly rehearse opening act George Thoroughgood, b/c they were so uncertain of Wood's health and ability to play), and also around the time of Bridges to Babylon, so around '98. If memory serves, Richards' father-in-law had just died and he was going to be a pallbearer the next day, and he wanted Woods' company, but Ronnie had placed a bet on some boxing match, and vanished to watch that. Keith found him and began punching him out, accusing Wood of abandonment.

There have been other incidents for Keith: once with the bassist in Whiskeytown (also around '98), one time he pulled a gun on former friend (and drug dealer) Tony Sanchez for writing the tell-all Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, one time with Julien Temple, as way of introduction when Temple met him to direct the Undercover video, and he also punched out a woman on the '72 Exile-era tour, who managed to get on the Stones private plane under the impression that she was a groupie, but was actually there to serve a subpeona (regarding Altamont) to Jagger.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
No, he would never touch Bill Wyman. Bill wouldn't have put up with it, and, being such the thriftiest band member, he definititely would have sued.

Wood got a taste of Richards fist on the '81 tour, when Richards found out that Wood was freebasing (the band began to secretly rehearse opening act George Thoroughgood, b/c they were so uncertain of Wood's health and ability to play), and also around the time of Bridges to Babylon, so around '98. If memory serves, Richards' father-in-law had just died and he was going to be a pallbearer the next day, and he wanted Woods' company, but Ronnie had placed a bet on some boxing match, and vanished to watch that. Keith found him and began punching him out, accusing Wood of abandonment.

There have been other incidents for Keith: once with the bassist in Whiskeytown (also around '98), one time he pulled a gun on former friend (and drug dealer) Tony Sanchez for writing the tell-all Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, one time with Julien Temple, as way of introduction when Temple met him to direct the Undercover video, and he also punched out a woman on the '72 Exile-era tour, who managed to get on the Stones private plane under the impression that she was a groupie, but was actually there to serve a subpeona (regarding Altamont) to Jagger.

Cheers! I didn't know about half of that. :cool:

I once read about Jagger calling Charlie Watts in the middle of the night, some 15 or 20 years ago, maybe more... Mick was probably drunk or coked, and woke Charlie up on the phone, going: "How is my drummer tonight?"...
Charlie got dressed, and went ringing at Jagger's door a moment later, and... he punched him in the face, before going back to his place to sleep, without a word, if I remember that read well.

Antman
09-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I was just kidding about Bill Wyman.

Nitro Express
09-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, Bill Wyman never moved that fast. LOL!

Nitro Express
09-15-2007, 11:51 PM
The best ingreadients for a true rock and roll band are the screwups of the world. Like Roth said. God tipped the map of the world and everything unscrewed and unfastened rolled into rock and roll. Very true.

Nitro Express
09-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Guys like Kieth Richards remind me of the dudes who worked for my dad's construction company. My dad actually kept cash in a safe to bail his guys out of jail so they could put more bricks in the wall the next day.

Tottal screwups society wise but once you got them sober enough, they grabbed their lunch box and tools and put in a hard days work. They didn't screw around on the job and that is why my dad was willing to get them out of jail. Of course bail came out of their checks.

I'm sure when Kieth shows up to play you better put in because he's going to beat the shit out of you for not giving a damn.

VanHalener
09-15-2007, 11:59 PM
He should have a tazer built into his guitar for dumb asses like that.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqO31u8vpq8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SqO31u8vpq8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hummarstra
09-16-2007, 05:40 AM
I didn't know any of this stuff. What a trip.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Cheers! I didn't know about half of that. :cool:

I once read about Jagger calling Charlie Watts in the middle of the night, some 15 or 20 years ago, maybe more... Mick was probably drunk or coked, and woke Charlie up on the phone, going: "How is my drummer tonight?"...
Charlie got dressed, and went ringing at Jagger's door a moment later, and... he punched him in the face, before going back to his place to sleep, without a word, if I remember that read well.

the Watts incident dates back to the recording of Dirty Work. Watts has since admitted he was a heroin addict at the time and is deeply embarrassed and apologetic about the incident. Richards amped up the story to a punch. Watts and Jagger both say it was a push. but the details of Charlie getting dressed and shaving are true. And when he pushed Jagger he said something to effect of, "I'm not YOUR drummer, you're MY fucking singer."

Jérôme Frenchise
09-16-2007, 11:11 AM
the Watts incident dates back to the recording of Dirty Work. Watts has since admitted he was a heroin addict at the time and is deeply embarrassed and apologetic about the incident. Richards amped up the story to a punch. Watts and Jagger both say it was a push. but the details of Charlie getting dressed and shaving are true. And when he pushed Jagger he said something to effect of, "I'm not YOUR drummer, you're MY fucking singer."

:D Charlie Watts is such a character... He's a nightmare for interviewers because it's a hell of a job to draw four words out of his mouth, but damn, what an aura!
And he has that so unique way of hitting his kit...

Bill Wyman was such a curiosity to watch in videos and on stage too. He wouldn't leave that old square meter, looking like he was thinking about what he would do a couple of hours later... :D
Which didn't prevent him from playing great.

What bugs me is he would actually play less and less on the studio tracks; not because either Ronnie Wood or Keith could play it better IMO, but because Bill was simply not around...

Ronnie Wood must be a great pal to have around, but how worse and worse his playing got year after year from the time he joined the Stones, he who was a kickass r'n'r player with the Faces...

As Keith Richards will often say, it's a miracle that the Stones survived as a band for all these years (damn! 45 now!), music-wise... and humanly, as a tenth of so many huge, two-year long tours would have broken up many a band...

I heard Keith totally messes it up these days on stage, due in great part to side effects of his brain surgery: is it true?

Satan
09-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
:

I heard Keith totally messes it up these days on stage, due in great part to side effects of his brain surgery: is it true?

From the clips of this last tour that I have seen and heard, it did seem like Keith had some nights where he was noticeably better than others. I don't know if that started after the brain injury or not.

It would be ironic that a palm tree could do what 10 years of heroin and a sea of alcohol could not do though, if that ultimately ended his career.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Satan
From the clips of this last tour that I have seen and heard, it did seem like Keith had some nights where he was noticeably better than others. I don't know if that started after the brain injury or not.

It would be ironic that a palm tree could do what 10 years of heroin and a sea of alcohol could not do though, if that ultimately ended his career.

Diabolically ironic, for sure! :D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM

It was a coconut tree, and I personally blame our very own Dan. Way to nearly kill rock's greatest legend, you Kiwi prickbag!!!

Terry
09-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Richards gets a tip of the hat for having to put up with that limp-wristed aging poofter Jagger for all these years: that ALONE proves his mettle in my book.

Far as the Stones go, they really haven't done much since the much maligned Dirty Work that has really turned me on, so it's basically been two decades coasting on memories (does anyone seriously think more than 2% of any given audience on any tour post-1981 turn up to see the band to hear the songs off their latest album? Hell, the clip THIS thread is based on is a quarter-century old). You get the odd track here and there that reminds you of their better efforts, but not sure how much I care about the band anymore in terms of what they're doing these days.

It's pretty much like (yawn) another year, another series of overpriced Stones gigs in stadiums with the band playing the oldies. I remember the frantic nature of a bunch of us in 1989 making sure we got tix to see the Steel Wheels tour, as the band had been inactive for a few years and many felt (although the band never said it) that this could be the last chance. Nearly twenty years on, that notion seems quaint, although seeing the Stones play at the Superbowl a couple of years ago it might not have been a bad idea for them to quit while they were ahead and go out on top.

Satan
09-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Terry, did you think Dirty Work was a better album than A Bigger Bang?

I thought Dirty Work had the potential to be a great album. They had the hottest producer of the 80's in their corner They had the Miami Vice rip-off cover shot (with the neon suits)

But it ended up sounding like a half assed demo tape to my unholy ears, because Mick just didn't give a shit any more (at that point) and that left Woody to help Keith to put the songs together, which didn't seem to work that well.

"One Hit to the Body" seems to be the best of the lot, and they needed Jimmy Page to make that one work.

Satan
09-17-2007, 02:12 AM

I thought Dirty Work had the potential to be a great album. They had the hottest producer of the 80's in their corner They had the Miami Vice rip-off cover shot (with the neon suits)

But it ended up sounding like a half assed demo tape to my unholy ears, because Mick just didn't give a shit any more (at that point) and that left Woody to help Keith to put the songs together, which didn't seem to work that well.

"One Hit to the Body" seems to be the best of the lot, and they needed Jimmy Page to make that one work.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Bigger bang ain't no great shakes. There's some real duds on there too. (Streets of Love? Their worst thing since Voodoo's Sweethearts Together)

Dirty Work had a number of REEEEALLY bad songs (Back To Zero, Don't Hold Back), but it did a GREAT job of capturing the anger and frustration the band felt towards one another at the time. It sounds AUNTHENTIC in its anger, whereas, BB just sounds professional in its craft. Maybe only a handful of really good songs (One Hit being one of them, Sleep Tonight was also great), but I'd still listen to it over BB any day, espeically when I'm pissed.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Dirty Work had a number of REEEEALLY bad songs (Back To Zero, Don't Hold Back), but it did a GREAT job of capturing the anger and frustration the band felt towards one another at the time. It sounds AUNTHENTIC in its anger, whereas, BB just sounds professional in its craft. Maybe only a handful of really good songs (One Hit being one of them, Sleep Tonight was also great), but I'd still listen to it over BB any day, espeically when I'm pissed.

"Dirty Work"... I agree, it's their most unfairly underrated effort.
There's urgence in Jagger's vocals, as he quickly recorded them in the end of the sessions on nights when Keith (above all), Charlie and Ron were away. He often screams instead of actually singing...

I agree on "One hit..." and "Sleep tonight". "Too rude", "Had it with you" and "Dirty work" were very good shit too IMO, and their "Harlem Shuffle" cover almost makes it as much as Dave did to "Just a gigolo". :cool:

jharp84
09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Cool thread! Knew a lot! Diggin it though! Huge stones fan! Dirty work o.k! bigger bang better than dirty work! forget the last two in between steel wheels and bigger bang! BEST STONES TOUR since 1981? 1989 steel wheels kicked major ass!!

Terry
09-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Dunno about 'better', but I'll sooner throw on Dirty Work than A Bigger Bang. Found the track Sweet NeoCon to be a rather pathetic attempt by Dick Fagger to rouse up some cuntroversy about Iraq, much along the lines of HighWire (a hybrid ripoff of Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Woman) right as Gulf War Pt 1 was underway all those years ago. Although in terms of the way ABB sounded overall, it seemed raw enough.

Dirty Work does come off demo-ish at times in terms of the production, but in some ways that might just have been Richards reacting to the overly slick production of Fagger's first solo album She's The Boss. Thought what Page turned in on One Hit was abysmal; pity the timing for the collaboration came during that whole The Firm period, where Page was clearly debilitated from years of drug abuse, hadn't regained control of the instrument yet and was intentionally coasting (although the same can be said for what he contributed to Plant's Now And Zen as well...Page really didn't roar back to any sort of form until Outrider).

It's shame Steel Wheels couldn't have been given the Dirty Work treatment in terms of production, because many of the tunes on that album weren't half bad, but just sounded like they had been overproduced.

Voodoo Lounge had some decent stuff on it, as did Bridges To Babylon, but it just seems like after Exile each release after that had more and more throwaway tracks, IMO...or at least more tracks that I don't give much play time to these days...Between The Buttons through Exile was pretty much the highwater mark of the band...but I suppose nobody stays hot forever.

jharp84
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
O.K - But it's better than no STONES in my opinion!! At least they got back and got out there!! JFC!!!

FORD
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't hear any throwaway tracks on Some Girls. But then, the band recorded about 4 albums worth of music in those sessions and then cut it down to 10 songs, so it was kinda hard to go wrong there.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPy7sqKHOs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPy7sqKHOs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jharp84
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Dunno about 'better', but I'll sooner throw on Dirty Work than A Bigger Bang. Found the track Sweet NeoCon to be a rather pathetic attempt by Dick Fagger to rouse up some cuntroversy about Iraq, much along the lines of HighWire (a hybrid ripoff of Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Woman) right as Gulf War Pt 1 was underway all those years ago. Although in terms of the way ABB sounded overall, it seemed raw enough.

Dirty Work does come off demo-ish at times in terms of the production, but in some ways that might just have been Richards reacting to the overly slick production of Fagger's first solo album She's The Boss. Thought what Page turned in on One Hit was abysmal; pity the timing for the collaboration came during that whole The Firm period, where Page was clearly debilitated from years of drug abuse, hadn't regained control of the instrument yet and was intentionally coasting (although the same can be said for what he contributed to Plant's Now And Zen as well...Page really didn't roar back to any sort of form until Outrider).

It's shame Steel Wheels couldn't have been given the Dirty Work treatment in terms of production, because many of the tunes on that album weren't half bad, but just sounded like they had been overproduced.

Voodoo Lounge had some decent stuff on it, as did Bridges To Babylon, but it just seems like after Exile each release after that had more and more throwaway tracks, IMO...or at least more tracks that I don't give much play time to these days...Between The Buttons through Exile was pretty much the highwater mark of the band...but I suppose nobody stays hot forever.

Ya know Terry! We have traded and mostly agree on music, but sometimes, I feel some of the musicians/technicians, are a little to technical for the "rock n' roll feel", "atmosphere", "groove" that sometimes needs to be expressed here! Who am I my - just a jag-off! But I appreciate the "feel", "groove" so to speak w/out the high/low or whatever aspect! Now in your favor- I admit in public I am still a partyer!(ALRIGHT -I'M A DRUNK!) But I still have sober moments!! Terry- Hope you get great seats to the show! JH

Terry
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I don't hear any throwaway tracks on Some Girls. But then, the band recorded about 4 albums worth of music in those sessions and then cut it down to 10 songs, so it was kinda hard to go wrong there.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPy7sqKHOs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZPy7sqKHOs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Respectable, for me, comes pretty close, and Faraway Eyes I've always been kinda ho-hum about.

I mean, I just call 'em based on what the tracks elicit from me in terms of emotion...some at least a couple of Stones tunes per album post-Exile did either nothing or very little for me. Can't fake what I can't feel.

Terry
09-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
Ya know Terry! We have traded and mostly agree on music, but sometimes, I feel some of the musicians/technicians, are a little to technical for the "rock n' roll feel", "atmosphere", "groove" that sometimes needs to be expressed here! Who am I my - just a jag-off! But I appreciate the "feel", "groove" so to speak w/out the high/low or whatever aspect! Now in your favor- I admit in public I am still a partyer!(ALRIGHT -I'M A DRUNK!) But I still have sober moments!! Terry- Hope you get great seats to the show! JH

Our frames of musical reference are close enough; that's why we had so much shit to trade with one another...I dig what you're saying, especially about how musicans feel about these things vs. non-musicians; one person having the ability to play an instrument doesn't automatically make their opinion more or less 'valid' to me than someone who can't.

It's all subjective to whatever any individual likes, anyway. Hell, there are more than a few people around here who I have a lot of respect for, for whom making the decision to see VH2007 was a no-brainer. I'll bet out of those for whom going to see the show was an easy choice, a certain amount of those want to see the band play Jump. For me, am still not sure about seeing the show, and if I do could really give a shit if the band plays that tune or not (although it's moot because they're obviously going to anyway:D ).

Does that divergence of opinion make one person 'right' and the other 'wrong'? Suppose it varies depending on which person is posting at the time...blah blah blah..wah wah wah..fuck it. Am going to play Stab The Pumpkin.

jharp84
09-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Our frames of musical reference are close enough; that's why we had so much shit to trade with one another...I dig what you're saying, especially about how musicans feel about these things vs. non-musicians; one person having the ability to play an instrument doesn't automatically make their opinion more or less 'valid' to me than someone who can't.

It's all subjective to whatever any individual likes, anyway. Hell, there are more than a few people around here who I have a lot of respect for, for whom making the decision to see VH2007 was a no-brainer. I'll bet out of those for whom going to see the show was an easy choice, a certain amount of those want to see the band play Jump. For me, am still not sure about seeing the show, and if I do could really give a shit if the band plays that tune or not (although it's moot because they're obviously going to anyway:D ).

Does that divergence of opinion make one person 'right' and the other 'wrong'? Suppose it varies depending on which person is posting at the time...blah blah blah..wah wah wah..fuck it. Am going to play Stab The Pumpkin.

You still da man!! :cato2:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
The best Stones album post-Tattoo You?

Keith's two solo efforts. "Take It So Hard", "How I Wish", "Eileen", "Hate It When You Leave". Great shit.

Individual Stones tracks since Tat that have worked for me: "Too Much Blood", "Too Tough", "One Hit", "Sleep Tonight", "Slipping Away", "Break the Spell", "New Faces", "Now I've Got The Fucking Blues", "Back of My Hand".

FORD
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lM2PhZMelME"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lM2PhZMelME" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
09-20-2007, 01:50 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmPX6An4b70"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XmPX6An4b70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jharp84
09-25-2007, 12:29 AM
The best Stones album post-Tattoo You?

Keith's two solo efforts. "Take It So Hard", "How I Wish", "Eileen", "Hate It When You Leave". Great shit.

Individual Stones tracks since Tat that have worked for me: "Too Much Blood", "Too Tough", "One Hit", "Sleep Tonight", "Slipping Away", "Break the Spell", "New Faces", "Now I've Got The Fucking Blues", "Back of My Hand".

Cannot argue that bro!! :bottle: