PDA

View Full Version : The "Candidate Calculator"

FORD
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Those of you who were around for the 2004 race probably remember several websites that popped up with a list of questions designed to help you pick your candidate.

You might also remember that some of them designed their questions with an extreme partisan slant which might have forced you into either an answer you didn't agree with entirely, or left it blank - if you were even allowed to do so.

Well, here's the first site I've seen for the 2008 race, and thankfully, this one is more direct with the questions, with a yes/no/unsure answer, and an option to rank the importance of that issue to you.

Because of the more direct questions, this website gets all the questions on one page, so it goes even faster..

Check out the Candidate Calculator (http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html) here.

As for my results.......

http://www.vajoe.com/images/kucinich.jpg
Ohio Representative Dennis Kucinich (D)
92.31% match

I can live with Dennis being wrong 7.69% of the time :cool:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Mike Gravel!!!! Go Alaska!!!!!!!

GO-SPURS-GO
09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Even though I can’t stand politicians on both sides, I wanted to see who “talks” about my views. Of course all of these high-ranking politicians are together behind the scenes and couldn’t care less about any of us. I took the test 3 times with 3 different view points.

The first was from my initial thought of these views.
Tommy Thompson at 80.95%

The second was more from my heart.
Obama at 73.91%

The third was from my conspiracy side of me.
Dennis Kucinich at 63.33 %

Seshmeister
09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Mike Gravel!!!! Go Alaska!!!!!!!

Me too apparently if I was American...

I guess that means he has no chance.:)

Are those the questions that most Americans actually vote on though?

FORD
09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Are those the questions that most Americans actually vote on though?

They probably will be this time. Except I doubt the Republicans will bring up same sex marriage after all their recent scandals.

Seshmeister
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I just noticed your guy was my second top match both in the 90%s before a drop down to a 3rd place Hillary in the 60%s.

I'm guessing I got the unelectable nuts.:)

No questions on the economy or taxes? I think a lot of people say one thing and then when it comes to it thats what they really vote for although Bush has fucked those up too.

A little factoid pops into my brain. In Britain you have Labour(Democrats) and Conservative(Republicans). If you take the voting statistics here and take out the women voters then the Conservatives would not have won an election in 50 years. Is it not true that Alaska has a demographic with the fewest women of any US state?

Just a thought...:)

Dr. Love
09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Those of you who were around for the 2004 race probably remember several websites that popped up with a list of questions designed to help you pick your candidate.

You might also remember that some of them designed their questions with an extreme partisan slant which might have forced you into either an answer you didn't agree with entirely, or left it blank - if you were even allowed to do so.

Well, here's the first site I've seen for the 2008 race, and thankfully, this one is more direct with the questions, with a yes/no/unsure answer, and an option to rank the importance of that issue to you.

Because of the more direct questions, this website gets all the questions on one page, so it goes even faster..

Check out the Candidate Calculator (http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html) here.

As for my results.......

http://www.vajoe.com/images/kucinich.jpg
Ohio Representative Dennis Kucinich (D)
92.31% match

I can live with Dennis being wrong 7.69% of the time :cool:

And somehow, I'm not surprised in the least.

Seshmeister
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
On a more serious note the whole concept is fucking horrible.

If anyone goes to any site like that and bases a vote on a 'who the fuck knows agenda' of the people that modelled the algorithm then they don't deserve a vote.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

How right you are!!!

They probably will be this time. Except I doubt the Republicans will bring up same sex marriage after all their recent scandals.

How wrong you are! Or have you not heard about Romney's anti-gay marriage radio ad?

FORD
09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
On a more serious note the whole concept is fucking horrible.

If anyone goes to any site like that and bases a vote on a 'who the fuck knows agenda' of the people that modelled the algorithm then they don't deserve a vote.

It's true that some similar sites in the past have had a clear agenda. The one that sticks out in my mind from the 2004 race was the survey which put your political ranking on a grid with an X and Y axis and 90% of the people turned out to be some form of "Libertarian" according to their results.

The owner of the web site?

You guessed it, the Libertarian party.

This time, the originating site, vajoe.com appears to be a non partisan site set up by military veterans for military veterans, so accordingly they probably have a membership all over the political spectrum. So for now, I'm taking this one at face value. I answered the questions honestly and got the candidate that I'm supporting, so it seems to be working, as far as I can tell.

FORD
09-18-2007, 09:27 PM

How wrong you are! Or have you not heard about Romney's anti-gay marriage radio ad?

Guess it's time somebody discovered old Twit in the bathrooms at Logan airport then. ;)

Seshmeister
09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
It's true that some similar sites in the past have had a clear agenda. The one that sticks out in my mind from the 2004 race was the survey which put your political ranking on a grid with an X and Y axis and 90% of the people turned out to be some form of "Libertarian" according to their results.

The owner of the web site?

You guessed it, the Libertarian party.

This time, the originating site, vajoe.com appears to be a non partisan site set up by military veterans for military veterans, so accordingly they probably have a membership all over the political spectrum. So for now, I'm taking this one at face value. I answered the questions honestly and got the candidate that I'm supporting, so it seems to be working, as far as I can tell.

Well speaking as a left leaning libertarian I never have anyone to vote for.:)

Are US military vets a neutral demographic? I guess on this site we have Nick and BBB at opposite ends...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Guess it's time somebody discovered old Twit in the bathrooms at Logan airport then. ;)

I think there's a rumor going around that after he strapped the dog to the roof of the car, he sodomized it, while his sons - the loyal patriots that they are - drove the car to the next campaign stop.

FORD
09-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Are US military vets a neutral demographic? I guess on this site we have Nick and BBB at opposite ends...

As a civilian I'm not exactly the expert in this area, but it seems like it's a wide spectrum from one end to the other. Like in 2004, you had Kerry, who was a Liberal at least in 1971, when he came home from Vietnam, and then lobbied against the war. And then you had the Swift Boat Fuckheads who were doing about the same thing Kerry did in Vietnam, yet ended up as right wing extremists.

Last Saturday there was a protest in Washington DC and a right wing counter protest. Both groups claimed Iraq veterans, as well as older vets.

So even though the FAUX Noize types try to pigeonhole the "military vote" as a solid right wing lock, that's never really been the case.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 09:49 PM

This time, the originating site, vajoe.com appears to be a non partisan site

Nope. How can I tell? The very first category and the phrasing of "abortion rights". Not "the abortion issue" or "right to life", but "the right to an abortion". It's kinda leading the witness.

Other moments like "UNiversal Health Care" rather than "Keeping health care privatized" also display - however unconsciously - the political leanings of the site.

Plus, no mention of taxes, the ultimate Republican litmus test.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
okay, weird. I just hit "Unsure" for everything and it came back and told me Biden was my man. Then I hit "Yes" for everything and it said Rudy. "no" yielded Ron Paul.

GO-SPURS-GO
09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
okay, weird. I just hit "Unsure" for everything and it came back and told me Biden was my man. Then I hit "Yes" for everything and it said Rudy. "no" yielded Ron Paul.

:lol: I did the same thing and same results as you.

Nickdfresh
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Well, I too had Gravel as my closest match, followed by (somewhat surprisingly) Dennis Kucinich...

And I suppose that most vets today are pretty neutral depending on the nature of the conflicts. I'm thinking that vets may even have again moved slightly to the left overall after the two Gulf Wars...

Seshmeister
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
okay, weird. I just hit "Unsure" for everything and it came back and told me Biden was my man.

I guess then that Biden is the choce for soccer mums...:)

Nitro Express
09-19-2007, 02:10 AM
It said Ron Paul was who I most likely would vote for and that is true. In my case it was pretty accurate.

Warham
09-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Former Tennessee Senator Thompson (R)
92.31% match