PDA

View Full Version : Ever been told there would be a PA and there is not one?

Nitro Express
09-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Lot's of equipment and big amps are great if you have roadies to carry it all but a group of gigging amatures like it simpler. Instead of hauling big speakers around let's just use the house PA and hey, that Ampeg cabinet is a bitch so let's plug into a preamp and line out to the mixer.

The problem was there was no PA. Our singer had to use a guitar amp and my bass had to use a little practice amp that we threw to the front of the stage. Actually it didn't sound too bad but the sound was getting soaked up.

It was like the Three Stooges but this was one of the most disorganized cluster fucks I ever played. Oh yeah, the shit joint had the old style two pronged plugs and we didn't have adapters. We were lucky we were pluged in at all. LOL!

DrMaddVibe
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Gotta pack an emergency kit with adapters, tape, batteries, picks, strings, sticks and anything else you think could break during a show.

Always go to the venue and walk-thru the place. Don't trust what they say over the phone. Go to the place the week before (if you can) and see what kind of live sound it can handle.

Don't forget to have someone stay with the vehicle! It sucks to finish a show and you come out and the van is GONE!

rocknrolldork
09-20-2007, 08:48 AM
What and where was the venue?

Nitro Express
09-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by rocknrolldork
What and where was the venue?

It was a little shit joint in Driggs, Idaho that was hosting an amature talent contest. We gig for fun, we are a bunch of businessmen that do it as a hobby. We pulled it off.

Hardrock69
09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Are you kidding?

That is one of the standard Rock and Roll Lies:

R & R Lie #whatever: Yes, there WILL be a PA.

rocknrolldork
09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
It was a little shit joint in Driggs, Idaho that was hosting an amature talent contest. We gig for fun, we are a bunch of businessmen that do it as a hobby. We pulled it off.

Ha. You knew I was making the note not to play there. lol.

jhale667
09-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Almost (and sometimes) worse is when you show up and the house system is just plain shitty...
And there's either an incompetent soundman or none at all....

Coyote
09-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Are you kidding?

That's right up there with "Don’t worry, there’s a t-shirt for everyone".

Or "Don’t worry, you’ll be the headliner."

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Are you kidding?

They could make a good movie on that lie. I never gigged clubs so it a new thing for me. Yeah, we have a PA. Band shows up. It's a three channel 10 watt Radio Shack unit. LOL!

rocknrolldork
09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
They could make a good movie on that lie. I never gigged clubs so it a new thing for me. Yeah, we have a PA. Band shows up. It's a three channel 10 watt Radio Shack unit. LOL!

lol. Funny because it's true.

The original band I play in, only plays places we know have decent house PA. The cover band I play in, plays a lot of sports bars, corporate functions and other bars that don't usually carry a house PA. That means we have to rent PA & soundman. It also means the soundman goes home with more for the weekend than the actual band members individually. Bah.

Hardrock69
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Another Rock & Roll Lie is:

I promise not to cum in your mouth.

:D

Coyote
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Wasn't that a Zappa-tune?

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 04:34 PM

The soundman's mouth?

Diamondjimi
09-28-2007, 03:03 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSUHGcVda0g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSUHGcVda0g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
09-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Holly hell. There's a Frank Zappa song that explains every aspect of life. :D

DrMaddVibe
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Holly hell. There's a Frank Zappa song that explains every aspect of life. :D

And every emotion too!

This is why Frank Zappa is a legend!

Nitro Express
10-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
And every emotion too!

This is why Frank Zappa is a legend!

He could do crazy songs and videos but then go in front of Congress and hold his own in an intelligent debate. There was substance to the madness and the madness told the truth in a powerful fashion. Nobody is going to hold a candle to the great Frank Zappa. He was a great thought provoking artist. The Salvador Dali of social and political thought.

DrMaddVibe
10-01-2007, 06:56 AM
True..true.

I liken Bowie and Prince to him.

Legends that beat to their own drum and could care less about the criticism. No talent hacks pile on and write crap about them but true musicians KNOW the talent underneath and follow where they tread. 10 years later they're proven right because they carved the path for others to follow. They have the satisfaction of smiling and shrugging their shoulders and exclaim..."been there, done that....next"!

There is sooooo much more to these guys then just being a musician.

BrownSound1
10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
There is sooooo much more to these guys then just being a musician.

Yeah...Prince will whip your ass at basketball. ;)

jhale667
10-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

"Darling picky"...:D

Nitro Express
10-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

...and then make your pancakes afterwards.