PDA

View Full Version : Callahan to be named Nebraska coach Friday

lionsfan
01-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Report: Callahan to be named Nebraska coach Friday (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nebraska-coach&prov=ap&type=lgns)

January 8, 2004

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- Former Raiders coach Bill Callahan will reportedly be hired as Nebraska's new head football coach Friday, ending a long search to fill the vacancy at one of college football's premier programs.

ESPN and the Omaha World-Herald reported that Callahan accepted the job after meeting Thursday with Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson.

Gary O'Hagan, Callahan's Minneapolis-based agent, did not immediately return a phone message left late Thursday by The Associated Press.

O'Hagan said earlier in the day that Callahan is ``very interested'' in the job.

Chris Anderson, a spokeswoman for Nebraska's athletic department, said she could not confirm any plans to hire Callahan and said she knew of no announcements scheduled for Friday.

The Huskers have been looking for a coach since Frank Solich was fired Nov. 29 -- a day after wrapping up a 9-3 regular season.

Pederson has acknowledged interviewing Arkansas coach Houston Nutt and Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer but neither was interested in the job.

Callahan was fired by the Raiders last week following a 4-12 season.

Callahan, who led the Raiders to the Super Bowl two years ago, was fired by Oakland shortly after quarterback Rich Gannon criticized Callahan and offensive coordinator Marc Trestman for a bad offensive system.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 8, 2004 11:43 pm EST

rustoffa
01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Benching Garner and Woodson in the SD game was his "so long i'm gone" move.Wonder if he'll like that pressure cooker in big red country any better?Good riddance.
http://www.blacksundayy2k.com/cards/nation.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
01-09-2004, 08:12 PM
I can see it now, after Nebraska loses to Iowa State or some other shitty Big 12 team.....

"They've got to be the dumbest college team in America...."

rustoffa
01-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I can see it now, after Nebraska loses to Iowa State or some other shitty Big 12 team.....

"They've got to be the dumbest college team in America...."
:D

Flash Bastard
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
He'd better get results fast because those Husker fans will crucify him for anything short of perfection.

I'll give him 2 years and he'll be coaching high school ball.

One Voice
01-12-2004, 01:16 PM
I cant believe they hired this guy.
I dont think he will last a year.

POJO_Risin
01-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Who knows...

they couldve done much worse....I mean...look at the fucking guys they looked at before Callahan...none of them worth a damn...

I would have stuck with Pellini...

High Life Man
01-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Callahan just hired Wisconsin's Kevin Cosgrove as Nebraska's defensive coordinator.

Haha...Nebraska...Cosgrove sucks.

And it's a good and bad thing for me.

I'm hearing BOB DAVIE might become the new UW def. co. Which would make him the favorite to take over for Barry Alvarez when he steps down after next year to focus soley on being Athletic Director.

Bob fucking Davie. Does Hell have no fury worse?

One Voice
01-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Is Alvarez stepping down next year?
I havent heard that.

High Life Man
01-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by One Voice
Is Alvarez stepping down next year?
I havent heard that.

It's a rumor, but being an AD and a head coach is impossible. For the sake of UW football, I hope he does.

He'll bring in a lot of $$$ for the univeristy though.