PDA

View Full Version : another example of censorship

stringfelowhawk
09-23-2007, 04:38 AM
A friend I work with told me about this and I had to check it out for myself. I know this is a DLR/VH site and most people don't listen to this kind of music but I think it will move you as it did me. I, myself don't listen to this kind of music though I know who she is. It seems the video and the song has been blacklisted by every major station in the country. She isn't even allowed to talk about it in interviews. This to me, is the most infuriating example of censorship I've ever witnessed and its not even controversial. Its been blacklisted because its a letter to the president. Holy Shit! How dare we express our freedom of speach by questioning "The Decider"?

I'm not an emotional person but I will admit this made me tear up. Just give it a looksee and tell me why in the fuck this song should be blacklisted simply because she calls into question his morality and ability to sleep at night without regard for the death and destruction he is responsible for.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/09/22/new-version-of-pinks-dear-mr-president/

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-23-2007, 05:14 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DEh0eSpNvY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DEh0eSpNvY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FORD
09-23-2007, 05:35 AM
This is a kickass song. Pink wrote this with the Indigo Girls and the harmonies are better on the original version she recorded with them. It's good to see her make the transition from the candy ass pop hip-hop she started off with to one of the best protest songs of the Chimp era.

Pink doesn't "rock" in the traditional sense, but she sure as fuck ROCKS in this song..

Tragically, the corporate stranglehold on the music and radio industries has kept songs like this (and there are many others) from all but the artists' already established fanbase.

Remember the Dixie Chicks? They had the last laugh, but it was still bullshit. If I'm ashamed to be from the same state as Kenny G, they can be ashamed of being from the same state as Chimpy.

blonddgirl777
09-23-2007, 06:13 AM
"Can you look me in the eyes?"...
No he can't.
That mass murderer NEVER fuck'n looks at anybody (no less his victims) in the eyes!

"How do you sleep at night?"
Scary part is... probably very well because that's what ruthless criminals like him do!

I got tears... watchin' the videos behind her!
Sick of this shit!

stringfelowhawk
09-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Its funny you mention the Dixie Chicks cause I caught the documentary "Shut up and sing" about what happened just before she made those comments to the aftermath up to last year when their last album dropped. I wasn't a fan and honestly only had a minor interest in them to start with but that doc was first rate and it made me realize that they are not to be fucked with in regards to how they are treated. They were damn near career suicide after Natalie made that statement about Bush. You know, to me it was never about what she said but rather how they were treated for expressing the most basic freedom and during that doc it really infuriated me how they were blacklisted. I'll tell you this, I respect the hell outta them because when they dropped the first album after the backlash that followed her statement they went "Johnny Cash" and said, "FUCK YOU " to country radio. Keep in mind this happened after it became more and more obvious we were mislead and all the scandals that have exploded since her statement. Now most of the people who wanted to burn them at the stake were all of a sudden apologizing. When country radio decided to start playing them again there were plenty of interview requests and what not and they made it clear it wasn't gonna happen because of how they were treated by the country foundation in general. Those girls were receiving death threats daily at one point from people who were supposed fans. One thing I did not know about was their manager testifying before a panel that every station that was associated with or owned by a major corporation decided collectively to blacklist them which is censorship. Basically they conspired to destroy their career and the testimony given by the rep for the industry nearly slipped up and admitted it.
I'm still not a big fan but I watched that and thought it was a great doc. One thing I will say is love em or hate em it is never acceptable to threaten to kill anyone or their families. Thats a boundry that should never be crossed no matter the situation.

Hyman Roth
09-23-2007, 08:01 AM
meh - a thinly veiled attempt by the record industry to cash in on the "controversy angle" in the hopes of garnering a quarter of the publicity of the Dixie Chicks for a mediocre talent. I agree with her message although I am not convinced of her sincerity.

Nickdfresh
09-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe. It's a bit easier for pop artists to be "anti-establishment" than it is for today's "country" artists...

Oh Woody Guthrie, where art thou?

blonddgirl777
09-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
... I agree with her message although I am not convinced of her sincerity.

Who cares about her "talent" and sincerety?
As long as the message gets across!

If more celebs. (that have the incredible luck of being heard by millions of people when they open their mouths) would do more than talk shit, act like trash or simply smile on a red carpet, MAYBE something would move a little!

I think it's every citizen's duty to react and the ones that chose to shut up and pretend to be "neutral" in order to keep an audience (whatever the audience is) are just plain cowards!

LoungeMachine
09-23-2007, 01:07 PM
For a minute there, I thought this was another thread about me. :)

:gulp:

jhale667
09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
I agree with her message although I am not convinced of her sincerity.

Even so, I have a whole new respect for Pink...

Redballjets88
09-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD
This is a kickass song. Pink wrote this with the Indigo Girls and the harmonies are better on the original version she recorded with them. It's good to see her make the transition from the candy ass pop hip-hop she started off with to one of the best protest songs of the Chimp era.

Pink doesn't "rock" in the traditional sense, but she sure as fuck ROCKS in this song..

Tragically, the corporate stranglehold on the music and radio industries has kept songs like this (and there are many others) from all but the artists' already established fanbase.

Remember the Dixie Chicks? They had the last laugh, but it was still bullshit. If I'm ashamed to be from the same state as Kenny G, they can be ashamed of being from the same state as Chimpy.

bush wasnt born in my state.

LoungeMachine
09-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
bush wasnt born in my state.

:rolleyes:

Congrats on having the weakest point/post/parsing of the month.

Redballjets88
09-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
:rolleyes:

Congrats on having the weakest point/post/parsing of the month.

thats exciting.