PDA

View Full Version : All joking aside

StalinsRedStorm
09-23-2007, 10:04 AM
This is probably the dumbest place to post something like this and to look for support, but hell anything is worth a try. I have recently made the painful admission that I am an alcoholic. Alcohol is ruining my finances and pretty much my life in general. So, I've decided to make a change.

I was just wondering how many of you out there may be in my same boat or know someone who is and can offer some advice and support for sobriety. I know I've posted a lot of stupid and nonsensical things here in the past, but for once I'm very very serious. Thanks a lot in advance.

thome
09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Bumming change off the corner and living in a dumpster ain't so bad .

You gotta have a goal.

Find a new Hobby .

My bar tab was 800.00 a month and that was just the tab doesn't include the cash.For way over 15 years I mean EVERY DAY.

Coke head at in the mid 80's about the same.

One thing I never did was drink or drug at home. I can make a 24 pack last 6 months.I need the people to Drink .It's not about the booze to me it's about the social freek show.

So when I stopped the bar the rest was easy.

Now I drink too much maybe twice a month Fukk the World.

I would never say to myself For the rest of my life I can't drink.

But I will say Work First Play later .And I cannot drink every day.

Good Luck

Ps. I was facing three years flat in 85 was off the streets in Jail then Rehab
for 5 months to quit the coke and assorted tools.

I have dabbled in the old days maybe 50 times in the last 20 years.

However I drank to walk off of the old monkey.

Now I'm just kinda bored with it all.

I think I'll have beer now just not '''all''''' the beer.

Here this will help," They can make it faster than you can drink it."

So stop trying to proove them wrong.

Pss. I do not wear my Jail and addiction problems as a badge of honor.Ain't ashamed either just, they way it was.......

chi-town324
09-23-2007, 10:53 AM
i would say find a good support group(if you no what i mean)..i have known many alcoholics...and make some new friends who dont drink...yes they are out there

Ally_Kat
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
If you are serious, you deffy need a good support group. Find your local AA group. Of what I know, they are mostly at local churches (at least here). Make some responsible friends who will be frank and tough lovin' if you start to slip.

Hummarstra
09-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Good luck. I hope you beat it.

Dan
09-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Knowing You Have A Problem Is The First Step.

Second Step Is Getting The Right Help And Support.

Best Of Luck With Getting Help And If You Need To Speak To A Stranger Than Drop Me A PM.

Peace Out.

Dan.

Wawazat
09-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by StalinsRedStorm
I have recently made the painful admission that I am an alcoholic. Alcohol is ruining my finances and pretty much my life in general. So, I've decided to make a change.

I was just wondering how many of you out there may be in my same boat or know someone who is and can offer some advice and support for sobriety. I know I've posted a lot of stupid and nonsensical things here in the past, but for once I'm very very serious. Thanks a lot in advance.

The very first thing to do is to detox.

A monitored detox !!

Depending on your drinking habits, trying to do detox without supervision will most certainly kill you.

If you do not get the correct medication you might get deadly cramps.

Those cramps are similar to a spastic attack, happens if the level of alcohol drops to quickly, might as well happen weeks later.

Go to a doctor TODAY.

And i'm DAMN serious believe me, been there, done that !

Susie Q
09-25-2007, 06:52 AM
This is probably the dumbest place to post something like this and to look for support, but hell anything is worth a try. I have recently made the painful admission that I am an alcoholic. Alcohol is ruining my finances and pretty much my life in general. So, I've decided to make a change.

You know what? This is not a stupid place for you to post something like this. What I have noticed after almost 9 years on whatever versions of the Army there have been, is that there are caring individuals on this board. This place is like family a lot of the time. We've got your back. ;)

You just have to keep being strong. Focus on other things that make you happy (ie. music). Know that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. (More money, less health problems, more healthy relationships). Keep positive influences around you.

One of our own here, Jerome is going kinda through the same thing. You'll find his thread in the State you take forum. Maybe you will find a allegiance with him on here and can support each other back and forth.

Good Luck and God Speed. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
09-25-2007, 06:05 PM

As Dan said, admitting for yourself that it got you in trouble is step 1.

Finding reasons for quitting, health, money is step 2 - you can add getting back your serenity, continuity in your thoughts (things I had forgotten about before I crossed alcohol off my shopping list).

What you talk about seems serious - you tell rather little about how you're addicted, though. Maybe you're past the point where you can't manage by yourself, you may have to rely on medicine...

I didn't have to, but I can tell you about my own experience, in short (you can read a long version in State your take/Non, as Susie mentioned it).

I started partying at the age of 15, every Sat. night till I "graduated", then when I entered University, like many of us here, it went really wild on week days, till I eventually stopped going out on Saturdays to get some rest from the week...

When I started working, I gradually calmed down. After a few years, though, I set to partying again, from my late 20s to mid 30s, which didn't fit me psychologically in general, and from the day I was ordered medicine to regulate my thyroid, some 18 months ago. During those months, I started having loads of beer out of party situations, even on my own to "walk off the old monkey", as Thome says - sorry, but drinking solves nothing: it will only wave trouble back to you over and over again (think about the cliche of old drinking dotters!) - so I thought... I had to drown a love affair going wrong, but all I did was making it harder and harder to get rid of. Alcohol won't wash away the sticky ideas in your mind, but it will just make them stickier!

My mood got totally out of my control, and my thoughts weren't continuous, I'd even change my mind more often than naturally.
Well, it was greatly due to interaction with thyroid treatment, but in retrospect, I don't think drinking has ever done any good to me.
My doctor said that, mostly, alcohol doesn't fit me in particular.

I never thought I would find mind tranquillity, and that fast, in addition. I mean, I've kept all my feelings intact, but I don't get like kidnapped by them anymore, balance is always there in the background.

Anyway, although I've exposed that for your help, I have to tell you about the first days.
First, you have to know what you want. Once you've quit, after a few days, just go to the pub with good friends, order something "unloaded" of course, and take look at some of the customers, I mean the ones who hit the bottle like mad, watch them drink their livers out, the marks on their faces due to alcohol if there are some, the "smell" of addiction in the way they're standing at the bar, the stupidity and discontinuity in their speeches...
Then come back to yourself, feel your new well-being...

I mean, you get so much at the end of that road, thinking back of it you realize you didn't leave much behind by getting rid of that...
If you're in a case that needs medical assistance, I'm telling you about further steps here... But I swear you, it's damn worth it! ;)

One last thing: contrary to what they say, you can keep on rocking without alcohol... I'll say more: you rock better, even! :)

Ally_Kat
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm afraid we're being trolled guys. At least we know who the caring human beings are at this board and I thank you all for trying to reach out. However, we're being played. It's really upsetting that someone would use a disease such as alcoholism to play on the feelings of others.

blonddgirl777
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by thome
... You gotta have a goal.

Find a new Hobby ...

That, and what Ally said...

KEEP BUSY!

When living in Calif., I smoked an entire forest of weed all by myself...
Wasn't easy to say; "Enough of this shit" as it was making me feel so good and relaxed...

Now, I hold on to all that energie that I have and keep reminding myself that life is better when you live it up...
not when you sleep it away!

When my 7 months old son looks at me in the eyes, I can hear him say; "Mom... PLEASE, do it for me"!

jharp84
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I'm afraid we're being trolled guys. At least we know who the caring human beings are at this board and I thank you all for trying to reach out. However, we're being played. It's really upsetting that someone would use a disease such as alcoholism to play on the feelings of others.

Def! Not COOL! :mad: Almost posted and made an ass out of myself! Again! ;)

blonddgirl777
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm afraid we're being trolled guys...

What makes you say that?

Then if so... what a loser!
Begging for pitty... :rolleyes:

I particularely feel bad for Jérôme, who took the time to write that extra long post! :o

blonddgirl777
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
Def! Not COOL! :mad: Almost posted and made an ass out of myself! Again! ;)

Well... THAT will teach me... to try and be nice! :mad:

jharp84
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Well... THAT will teach me... to try and be nice! :mad:

Don't worry! You can do no wrong!! :cool:

Ally_Kat
09-25-2007, 08:34 PM
What makes you say that?

I particularely feel bad for Jérôme, who took the time to write that extra long post! :o

Let's just say that if someone wants to to create this online character and copy threads posted at another board, they shouldn't do it when both boards are in the Van Halen community. We'll find out ;)

Dan
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM

This makes Me Mad But Very Sad For The Person Behind The Computer Screen.

BTW.....Get A Fucking Life Loser.

Thanks Ally For the Heads Up.:)

jharp84
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Let's just say that if someone wants to to create this online character and copy threads posted at another board, they shouldn't do it when both boards are in the Van Halen community. We'll find out ;)

Great Job! :matrix:

Viking
09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Ya gotta watch that juice, dude. I'll admit it - I'm a boozehound extrordinaire. You have no idea how much I've abused my liver over the years. Nightly. And usually, I still get home from work and pour a shot before my car keys leave my hand. But once I got remarried and settled down a bit, my priorities changed, and that's a key to moderating the download of that panther sweat - having goals you focus on. After a while, the bottle get less important, and evryone around you gets more important. I mean, Jesus Christ, I just became - and I'm younger than anyone in VH but Wolfie - I just became a fucking grandfather last week. I'd hate to think of what I'd be like if I was still looking for The Meaning Of Life in the bottom of a Jim Beam bottle. Admitting you have a problem is the first step in unfucking yourself before it's too late. I sure as hell have realized that life ain't as long as I thought, even ten years ago, and I go at it now like I've got a lot of missed time to make up. Even if you gotta start drinking earlier so you wake up sober, do it now before they find you face-down in front of a dumpster, and the only person at your funeral is the fucking gravedigger.

jharp84
09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Congrats! On becoming a grandfather!

StalinsRedStorm
09-26-2007, 06:30 AM

Well, no actually I hadnt even read the other threads here. And, I truly was reaching out for help. But hey, if you all want me to go to hell, sure.

Wawazat
09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
And help you got.

But the way you react here, that is just the old "it's everybody else's fault" routine.

Way to go kid

Jérôme Frenchise
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
What makes you say that?

Cheers BG, you're so nice! :)

But never mind, after reading Ally's revelations, it was OK with me... I had a few strong brews to forget about it. :)

Kidding :D

Ally_Kat
09-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Well, no actually I hadnt even read the other threads here. And, I truly was reaching out for help. But hey, if you all want me to go to hell, sure.

Oh no, you can't play me. The thread's not here; It's at another Van Halen-related message board.

Thanks for playing though. Maybe next time ;)

Nickdfresh
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM

Try pouring gasoline all over yourself, and then smoking...

This is a magic way to solve all your problems...