PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Disarmament Act To Bar Vets From Owning Guns

Hardrock69
09-24-2007, 03:02 PM
By Larry Pratt
September 22, 2007
NewsWithViews.com

Hundreds of thousands of veterans -- from Vietnam through Operation Iraqi Freedom -- are at risk of being banned from buying firearms if legislation that is pending in Congress gets enacted.

How? The Veterans Disarmament Act -- which has already passed the House -- would place any veteran who has ever been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) on the federal gun ban list.

This is exactly what President Bill Clinton did over seven years ago when his administration illegitimately added some 83,000 veterans into the National Criminal Information System (NICS system) -- prohibiting them from purchasing firearms, simply because of afflictions like PTSD.

The proposed ban is actually broader. Anyone who is diagnosed as being a tiny danger to himself or others would have his gun rights taken away ... forever. It is section 102(b)(1)(C)(iv) in HR 2640 that provides for dumping raw medical records into the system. Those names -- like the 83,000 records mentioned above -- will then, by law, serve as the basis for gun banning.

No wonder the Military Order of the Purple Heart is opposed to this legislation.

The House bill, HR 2640, is being sponsored by one of the most flaming anti-Second Amendment Representatives in Congress: Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY). Another liberal anti-gunner, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), is sponsoring the bill in the Senate.

Proponents of the bill say that helpful amendments have been made so that any veteran who gets his name on the NICS list can seek an expungement.

But whenever you talk about expunging names from the Brady NICS system, you’re talking about a procedure that has always been a long shot. Right now, there are NO EXPUNGEMENTS of law-abiding Americans’ names that are taking place under federal level. Why? Because the expungement process which already exists has been blocked for over a decade by a "funds cut-off" engineered by another anti-gunner, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY).

So how will this bill make things even worse? Well, two legal terms are radically redefined in the Veterans Disarmament Act to carry out this vicious attack on veterans’ gun rights.

One term relates to who is classified a "mental defective." Forty years ago that term meant one was adjudicated "not guilty" in a court of law by reason of insanity. But under the Veterans Disarmament Act, "mental defective" has been stretched to include anyone whom a psychiatrist determines might be a tiny danger to self or others.

The second term is "adjudicate." In the past, one could only lose one's gun rights through an adjudication by a judge, magistrate or court -- meaning conviction after a trial. Adjudication could only occur in a court with all the protections of due process, including the right to face one's accuser. Now, adjudication in HR 2640 would include a finding by "a court, commission, committee or other authorized person" (namely, a psychiatrist).

Forget the fact that people with PTSD have the same violent crime rate as the rest of us. Vietnam vets with PTSD have had careers and obtained permits to carry firearms concealed. It will now be enough for a psychiatric diagnosis (a "determination" in the language of the bill) to get a veteran barred _for life _ from owning guns.

Think of what this bill would do to veterans. If a robber grabs your wallet and takes everything in it, but gives you back $5 to take the bus home, would you call that a financial enhancement? If not, then we should not let HR 2640 supporters call the permission to seek an expungement an enhancement, when prior to this bill, veterans could not legitimately be denied their gun rights after being diagnosed with PTSD.

Veterans with PTSD should not be put in a position to seek an expungement. They have not been convicted (after a trial with due process) of doing anything wrong. If a veteran is thought to be a threat to self or others, there should be a real trial, not an opinion (called a diagnosis) by a psychiatrist.

If members of Congress do not hear from soldiers (active duty and retired) in large numbers, along with the rest of the public, the Veterans Disarmament Act -- misleadingly titled by Rep. McCarthy as the NICS Improvement Amendments Act -- will send this message to veterans: "No good deed goes unpunished."

http://www.newswithviews.com/Pratt/larry81.htm

LoungeMachine
09-24-2007, 03:14 PM
If they're diagnosed with PTSD, they probably shouldnt have access to firearms.

Convince me otherwise, I'll listen...

The truth of the matter is, we're bringing back some seriously fucked up guys and gals from these 2 wars, and we need to help them any way we can.

Just my opinion, but I have no problems with this...

FORD
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I doubt this would ever happen. I don't think you could get away with a blanket categorization of all veterans as being mentally "unqualified" to own firearms.

It has always and will always be my position that SANE, law abiding adult US citizens should be able to own guns. If an individual - vet or otherwise - is dealing with serious mental issues, then they probably wouldn't meet that criteria.

Problem is that boot camp programs your brain to transform from a civilian to a killing machine. Nobody bothers programming the brain back the other direction when you leave. Some vets make the transition better than others, obviously.

Maybe that's where they should start.? Find out who has the problems as they're getting out of the combat zone. Don't wait for them to blow up on the wife and kids or whatever.

And before they try to paint this as a "Democrat gun grab" issue, let's not forget that the ONLY gun confiscation of American civilians to date was done by Nazi Blackwater mercenary thugs under the command of the Bush Criminal Empire in post-Katrina New Orleans in 2005.

Want to take guns away from people who should not have them? Start with Erik Prince's private corporatist/dominionazi army. :mad:

Nickdfresh
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, if your a veteran with PSTD and you want a gun, you ought to be recalled and sent back to Iraq for a sixth tour...

LoungeMachine
09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking more of the families...

I'm reading about the troubled marriages, etc. these poor guys are coming home to.

amadeus
09-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Problem is that boot camp programs your brain to transform from a civilian to a killing machine. Nobody bothers programming the brain back the other direction when you leave. Some vets make the transition better than others, obviously.

Saying that boot camp programs your brain to become a killing machine is a pretty broad generalization on your part. I went through two different boot camps with two different branches of the military and nobody or anything made me into a killing machine as you call it. Granted there are some people out there that are so 'gung ho' they can't seperate reality from fantasy (for lack of a better term) but all in all not everybody falls into that category. They just can't do a blanket policy for all veterans because it's like they are trying to preempt something before it actually happens (I know, it sounds familiar). Almost like a Minority Report and telling veterans "Sorry, you can't have a gun now because even though you killed for us in the past we're afraid you might still be in that mode here" without even testing and finding out if; indeed, there is a problem. I totally agree that the military/government needs to step up and take care of the vets when they come home to make sure of their mental status especially now during this war because we will never know what they went through over there.

And before they try to paint this as a "Democrat gun grab" issue, let's not forget that the ONLY gun confiscation of American civilians to date was done by Nazi Blackwater mercenary thugs under the command of the Bush Criminal Empire in post-Katrina New Orleans in 2005.

Yea, there wasn't ANY looting or killing going on at all during that time, right FORD??

:mad:

Hardrock69
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
If the people in New Orleans had been allowed to keep their guns, perhaps there would not have been quite so much 'looting and killing'.

My opinion is pretty much the same as LoungeMachine's, though I do not think they should make a blanket characterization by stating ALL veterans should not be allowed to have access to firearms.

Sure, if a guy has PTSD, he should not have access to guns.

But if it is a veteran who still has his head on straight, then they should be allowed to have them if they want them.

Perhaps certain peeps in the BCE are afraid of what might happen if the population of the US were to rise up in open revolt against our government. They would not want people with a lot of tactical training and wartime experience to be a part of something like that.

Our government is afraid of some irrational shit.

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
If they're diagnosed with PTSD, they probably shouldnt have access to firearms.

Convince me otherwise, I'll listen...

The truth of the matter is, we're bringing back some seriously fucked up guys and gals from these 2 wars, and we need to help them any way we can.

Just my opinion, but I have no problems with this...

If you are a fucked up homocidal veteran a little law isn't going to stop you. The black market has all the goodies you need and the currency is drugs and thugs. I would get a job being a hit man or work for Blackwater if I was fucked up. LOL!

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Yup. Citizens that own their own firearms who are organized can stop a dictorial takeover. In fact one guy in Afganistahn said his weapon during the Soviet invasion was a single shot rifle. Not much of a battle weapon but he could shoot it accurately and he soon upgraded his arsenal by taking the arms and ammunition off the dead Soviet soldiers.

Around here we would raise sheer hell in a sniping war. Everybody has magnum rifles and know how to use them. It would not be fun.

FORD
09-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
If you are a fucked up homocidal veteran a little law isn't going to stop you. The black market has all the goodies you need and the currency is drugs and thugs. I would get a job being a hit man or work for Blackwater if I was fucked up. LOL!

And that's exactly why Blackwater shouldn't be tolerated in any capacity, because that's exactly what kind of people they employ.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rodP6-3SW4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rodP6-3SW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by FORD
And that's exactly why Blackwater shouldn't be tolerated in any capacity, because that's exactly what kind of people they employ.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rodP6-3SW4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2rodP6-3SW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

They're basically mercinaries opperating under a slick corporate banner. They also don't have the honor and tradition the military has. These guys swear no oathes of allegience.

One of these private companies did security for a nuclear facility I used to work at. I think they are overated. They drove us nuts doing their stupid live fire drills with M-16's with the blank adapters on. They used to fire bursts behind people to scare you. Not exactly proffetional behavior in my book.

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 02:56 AM
At least the Romans put their soldiers to work when they weren't fighting. They knew thugs and boredom was a bad mix. I'm sure these guys are bored as shit in Iraq and hate being there so let's bust some caps into some rag heads for fun. Who's going to know and who's going to care?

Wanna kill for fun? You can do it and get paid.

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 03:03 AM
I just see opperations like Blackwater as another reason we need the 2nd Amendment, because invading an armed villiage is a lot more scary than invading an unarmed villiage.

Heck. Every Federal Govt. agency has it's own thuggish police force. It used to be just the FBI but now it's everybody. All these ninjas in black suits, body armor, military styled helmuts, goggles, military boots, and they all seem to like the HK MP5 submachine gun.

None of these angencies or their thugs really answer to anybody and with the Patrtot Act they are scarier than ever.

Nitro Express
09-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Blackwater was started by some Navy SEALS. There's two kinds of SEALS. The ones who don't make a big deal of being one are the more mentally stabble. The braggards seem to have a nut loose somewhere. I've met both kinds. Respect the former and have no use for the latter.