PDA

View Full Version : The EVH Art Series returns

Don Corleone
09-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Remember the 10k Charvels from the 04 tour???

There's a new line on the way of the 07 tour:

http://www.evh-guitars.com/

Bottom of the page, Guitar bulding gallery, as well as a selection about mid way down the page.

Cato
09-30-2007, 08:49 AM
he's working frantically for his living!

DrMaddVibe
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I'll say this, for the jack that Fender is charging for their Frankie...Eddie BETTER be building himself! With each purchaser coming to his house and watching HIM build it.

Why in the world is he playing the Charvel on tour when he wrapped up the deal with Fender and said they duplicated his guitar to the point he had to write on one of them to tell it apart from the original????

He's burning the wick at both ends and playing both side against each other in the collector wars.

It looks like he's having a good time building those, and if it keeps him sober doing something he's really good at...build your own damn lines Eddie!

Coyote
09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Why in the world is he playing the Charvel on tour when he wrapped up the deal with Fender and said they duplicated his guitar to the point he had to write on one of them to tell it apart from the original????

He's burning the wick at both ends and playing both side against each other in the collector wars.

Last time I checked, Fender owns Charvel...

sadaist
09-30-2007, 02:41 PM
He actually played one opening night.

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/1/7/2/2/16622271-16622273-large.jpg

jhale667
09-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Coyote

Exactly, exactly. :D

I like this year's offerings better...

http://e.photos.cx/edbackred-7b6.jpg

He played a couple of them at the Charlotte show, apparently...wonder when those two auctions will be up?

http://e.photos.cx/vh_charlotte_26_705_156-0c2.jpg

http://e.photos.cx/EVHlive092707CharlotteNC2-20a.jpg

Some of them look atrocious, but I like the idea of the 'reverse stripes' motif..:)

Coyote
09-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Exactly, exactly. :D

I like this year's offerings better...

And I'd like it even more, if I wouldn't have to go to the Custom Shop to get me a southpaw... :mad:

(cost of one would be 3K. Minimum.)

Coyote
09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
http://e.photos.cx/vh_charlotte_26_705_156-0c2.jpg

I could see myself on stage with that... :D

jhale667
09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
And I'd like it even more, if I wouldn't have to go to the Custom Shop to get me a southpaw... :mad:

(cost of one would be 3K. Minimum.)

Sad but unfortunately true. :(
Of course, you could always build your own...ala Edward...;)

I've got some Musikraft shite coming in this week, I'll let you know how it is...and there's always Warmoth...
never heard any complaints about their lefty parts..

jhale667
09-30-2007, 03:33 PM
You know, now that you mention it, aside from the fact he's supposed to play them onstage as a selling point,
wonder why they don't have him stripe a couple of lefty bodies when he's doing a run anyway?
An instrument manufacturer's left-handed output is generally 10% of their production, if I remember correctly....:confused:
You could always get a righty and flip it...but one of the EVH ones is gonna set you back 10k easily...

Coyote
09-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Sad but unfortunately true. :(
Of course, you could always build your own...ala Edward...;)

The thought has occured to me many times.

It's the lack of cash that's hindered me... :rolleyes:

Coyote
09-30-2007, 03:59 PM
You know, now that you mention it, aside from the fact he's supposed to play them onstage as a selling point,
wonder why they don't have him stripe a couple of lefty bodies when he's doing a run anyway?
An instrument manufacturer's left-handed output is generally 10% of their production, if I remember correctly....:confused:

Didn't ya know? There aren't any southpaws among guitarists... :rolleyes:

You could always get a righty and flip it...but one of the EVH ones is gonna set you back 10k easily...

Hendrix I ain't, and I'm not gonna fork out 10K for something I could do myself. :)

jhale667
09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
The thought has occured to me many times.

It's the lack of cash that's hindered me... :rolleyes:

Funny, that was what motivated me originally....:p that, and I couldn't find what I wanted in my local music stores...
Even now, to get exactly what I want from Charvel or whoever would run into the several thousands range...:(
Just picked up a 1-piece ash body made to my exact specs for less than 3 bills...
I have an old 80s Charvel maple Strat-head neck that needs a new home...:D

Funny how I started building them as a kid, partly due to EVH fandom, partly due to necessity, now I don't/can't play anything ELSE (for less than 3 or 4 grand and a two-year waiting list) I'd still rather build them myself...:lol:
Unless, of course Charvel were to give me some...lol...they still have those 1 5/8" toothpick girly man necks on them...no bueno....:p

Coyote
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Funny, that was what motivated me originally....:p that, and I couldn't find what I wanted in my local music stores...
Even now, to get exactly what I want from Charvel or whoever would run into the several thousands range...:(
Just picked up a 1-piece ash body made to my exact specs for less than 3 bills...
I have an old 80s Charvel maple Strat-head neck that needs a new home...:D

Funny how I started building them as a kid, partly due to EVH fandom, partly due to necessity, now I don't/can't play anything ELSE (for less than 3 or 4 grand and a two-year waiting list) I'd still rather build them myself...:lol:

Amen, bro!

I'll get around to it... Next year, maybe?

jhale667
09-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm hoping to have this one done by the end of this year...

Good luck on yours, though! :baaa:

Coyote
09-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks! (If I ever get around to it... :D )

Matt White
09-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Those Charvels in 2004 inspired me to build my own......

DrMaddVibe
09-30-2007, 08:56 PM

I know that.

Its really hard to charge 25G for a guitar that you climb on a soap box and have it dangled in front of you by Eddie himself. Then the same company is going to sell you a Charvel "collector" guitar for what...1/2 of the Fender?

It takes all of the wind out of the sails if that's what Fender wants to do. It also makes Eddie look bad...stumping on about how great they replicated Frankie and he doesn't even play it on stage???

jhale667
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Those Charvels in 2004 inspired me to build my own......

For me it started around late '85...I had gotten a Kramer because that was the only guitar you could get with a Floyd Rose in those days (and Eddie was endorsing them, or so it seemed).
I had the Star shaped one, but I wanted a Strat, so I bought a Charvel replacement neck and a no-name body...1 humbucker and a Floyd...never looked back...:cool:

To this day I am not a fan of the Pacer/Barretta body style...it's gotta be a strat body. :D

jhale667
09-30-2007, 09:17 PM

It takes all of the wind out of the sails if that's what Fender wants to do. It also makes Eddie look bad...stumping on about how great they replicated Frankie and he doesn't even play it on stage???

I disagree. You have the $25k 'replica' series for the die-hard 'I have too much money and don't know what to do with it' crowd...:rolleyes:
Though if I was rolling in cash, I'd buy one to hang on the wall...:D
All the hardcore guitar boards are going off about how they're not even exact 'replicas'!

Then you have this series, which commemorates the tour, and goes to the midline $8-10k 'collector' market...

And then there'll be the new Wolfgang or whatever (the hideous prototype he's playing in most of the pics) that will probably have an entry-level model....seems more like they're covering all the bases.

Then you have the rest of us that will build our own...:lol:

Eddie's Booze
10-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Remember the 10k Charvels from the 04 tour???

There's a new line on the way of the 07 tour:

http://www.evh-guitars.com/

Bottom of the page, Guitar bulding gallery, as well as a selection about mid way down the page.

I played one of the Van Halen Charvels that came out in 2004(The ones that are like $2000).

They are nothing special at all.

If you want a guitar like that build your own.

:)

DrMaddVibe
10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Yeah, but if you like driving a Corvette then why settle for a Z28? That's the way I see the guitars he's hawking. Why settle for 2nd best, becuse here's another one that Iplay, and here's another one too for 600 bucks. To me it diminishes the product.

Building your own? Yeah. YOU get what YOU want. The only one that can get any blame if it doesn't work out is YOU. Kind of a win-win because of the motivation to chase your own sound and feel.

jhale667
10-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Building your own? Yeah. YOU get what YOU want. The only one that can get any blame if it doesn't work out is YOU. Kind of a win-win because of the motivation to chase your own sound and feel.

That's what I've been doing for over 20 years...:p Works for me.
Funny, you could always tell the gearheads at my gigs because they'd be looking at my guitars,
which all look like Strats but have no logos on them...
"Hey dude, what kind of guitars are those?!?!" :lol:
To which I always answer "Mine." ;)
But yes, though the sound thing is subjective to each guitar (wood type, pickups, etc.) ...the feel thing is never an issue,
because I order the necks with the same specs...:D

I once had a couple of guys come up between sets to compliment me on my sound (Boogie, baby),
and they were like "As soon as we saw you built your own guitars we knew you weren't fucking around..." :lol: :D

jhale667
10-01-2007, 10:06 AM
If you think about it, it's probably gotta cheese Fender off a bit that EVH is primarily playing the prototype
of the currently UNavailable guitar, and only playing the replica and the art series for like one or two songs each...
But then Ed was never a change guitars every song guy anyway...

jhale667
10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Actually saw the prototype mislabled as Peavey in at least one review I read:
Said something to the effect of "Ed still played his Peavey Wolfgangs for most of the show..."
You know Fender loves that....:D

http://e.photos.cx/edrothandreplica-92e.jpg

Hey, he broke it out for ONE song it seems!

Nitro Express
10-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Actually saw the prototype mislabled as Peavey in at least one review I read:
Said something to the effect of "Ed still played his Peavey Wolfgangs for most of the show..."
You know Fender loves that....:D

http://e.photos.cx/edrothandreplica-92e.jpg

Hey, he broke it out for ONE song it seems!

The whole Frankenstrat replica and Art Guitar thing is tottal sell out. I wouldn't mind if the money went to a charitable cause like cancer research or an Eddie Van Halen Drug and Rehab Center. It's something that Gene Simmons would do.

Yeah. I love how Ed plays a Peavey guitar for most the show and then he says Fender is the company that "Get's it!" Well then Ed, how come you play a Peavey?

Blackflag
10-03-2007, 02:14 AM

To this day I am not a fan of the Pacer/Barretta body style...it's gotta be a strat body. :D

Word.

jhale667
10-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express

Yeah. I love how Ed plays a Peavey guitar for most the show and then he says Fender is the company that "Get's it!" Well then Ed, how come you play a Peavey?

That's just it....he's NOT playing the Peavey anymore! Those are the prototypes of the FENDER 'Wolfgang'!!
But of course, almost NO ONE knows this, due to 'clever' marketing, hence the easily-made mistake....
Guitar-geeks like myself (and others) noticed the headstock is slightly different...;)

http://e.photos.cx/EVHwithproto-f85.jpg
See? :D Equally awful body styling, but...lol

Somewhere someone at Fender is kicking themselves in the ass they just got handed to them....
And someone at Peavey is laughing their ass off...:lol:

Nitro Express
10-03-2007, 06:04 PM
That's just it....he's NOT playing the Peavey anymore! Those are the prototypes of the FENDER 'Wolfgang'!!
But of course, almost NO ONE knows this, due to 'clever' marketing, hence the easily-made mistake....
Guitar-geeks like myself (and others) noticed the headstock is slightly different...;)

http://e.photos.cx/EVHwithproto-f85.jpg
See? :D Equally awful body styling, but...lol

Somewhere someone at Fender is kicking themselves in the ass they just got handed to them....
And someone at Peavey is laughing their ass off...:lol:

You're right. The Peavey scoop has been modified into a Fender fork. Other than that I can't tell the difference. It sounds good.