PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen removes Michael Anthony from Song writing credits!

WARF
10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
There has been many rumors than Van Halen has removed Michael Anthony from the songwriting credits. Well... it's official... he's been removed from 1984. There are also rumors that he is being removed from Album Artwork that will be shipped out from WACF and VH1

Click Here (http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300)
Then type 1984

I'm looking at my copy of 1984 and MA is listed.

That's fucked up!

WARF
10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Also the new film, "Superbad" doesn't have MA listed for the credits to panama.

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 12:28 AM
He is on all of the other Van Halen songs that I checked. Didn't he sign his rights away anyway?

WARF
10-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Wait until you see the new version of WACF with him airbrushed out of the picture!

Ra Power
10-07-2007, 01:11 AM
How petty! I know Ed is proud of his kid and all, but this is getting ridiculous.

hotdog@ a shake
10-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Wait until you see the new version of WACF with him airbrushed out of the picture!

So, Where can we see this ?

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:15 AM
That is the rumor which is not confirmed.

There is a rolling stone article... let me find it.

philouze
10-07-2007, 03:24 AM
That's a bit Fucked Up.

jhale667
10-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Holy crap, is he still getting performance credits/royalties at least?!?!?
As happy as I am to see Dave and Ed playing together again, that is seriously f*ed up....:mad:

SRK
10-07-2007, 04:14 AM
It seems like there may be a lot more to this story ...then we know...

It seems VAN HALEN was looking for a bass player or rumored to be as far back as the first few albums.....Dave talks about it in his book,
Sheehan talks about how he was asked to join once...and I remember
Eddie in an early interview hinting that maybe the bass player was not pulling his wieght......It seems very stupid to give up your rights just to tour in 2004 I Mean he had to know that was a bad move....I just think there must be alot we don`t know about.....may be Ed thinks he came up with the bass lines .... I dont know? and we may never know.....

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Looks like we have a few people here who may be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge. :rolleyes:

philouze
10-07-2007, 04:18 AM
I don't wanna know, for sure. This is the kinda thing that goes way over my head. Never mind what happened with Bozolewski, this is past history.
Now, Wolf is in, MA's trolling around with Cheddar.. Get on with it !

SATAN BUSH
10-07-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm sure fanboi's (such as Dick) are celebrating this move. And, if they aren't voicing it just yet, I'm sure they will be VERY soon. Just look at the number of people who suddenly HATE Michael Anthony now for no apparent reason (except for the fact that EVH hates him, and the sheep of course HAVE to follow what EVH says).

I also love how these same said sheep-boi's believe to the core that there is NO WAY that EVH&Co. would stoop so low to the fans...you know, they would NEVER do something as, oh I don't know, have Wolfgang supported by a bass backing track on stage. You know, they'd NEVER do such a thing. Never. Just like they'd NEVER try to rewrite Van Halen's history. RIGHT??? Because, you know, the Van Halen's have SOOOOOOOOOO much integrity.

Completely lame.

SRK
10-07-2007, 04:43 AM
I have a hard time believing that he gave up his rights to tour on that 2004 tour but he and Sam both say bad things went down before he was able to tour....I `m not saying its right... just saying with these guys you never know what really went down..But you would have to be stupid to give up your rights just to be part of a tour...who knows

bueno bob
10-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Holy crap, is he still getting performance credits/royalties at least?!?!?
As happy as I am to see Dave and Ed playing together again, that is seriously f*ed up....:mad:

Well, here's the situation on that. Mike told a few people I know who met him back in 2004 to get some shit signed after the show out here that, conditional to him playing at all in 2004, he had to sign off on everything to Ed and Alex - all future royalties to the name Van Halen, the music, the songwriting credits, every fucking bit of it. He won't ever again make ONE red cent off of anything he ever did in Van Halen. Nothing. No performance credits, no royalties - jack shit, essentially.

One of my friends literally flipped his wig and went "What the fuck did you do THAT for???"

Mike's answer was that he assumed Van Halen was fucked anyway and that 2004 tour was going to be it, forever (seemed like it to us at the time too, as I remember). Him and Sam were absolutely disgusted with Eddie (although they were on semi-OK terms with Alex, but Alex would side with Ed about everything), and they both were fed up of everything about two and a half to three weeks into the tour. He said they would complete the tour, but him and Sam were already travelling separate from the sisters. He also said both of them hated being there, but they were doing it for the fans and the payout, bottom line.

My estimation in all this was the Mike was telling the truth. I don't think it's any great stretch to say that Ed's a fucking prick and we all know that he was nailing down anything with the name Van Halen on it between 2001 and 2003 anyway. Makes perfect sense that he'd want Mike out of the picture for future revenue, considering how many nails he was driving down into the Van Halen money machine to keep it on his ground.

This is why I laugh more than a little bit whenever anybody says Mike "betrayed" Eddie and is a "traitor to the fans" for playing with Sammy. It's so completely inane when you stop to consider that he literally tossed himself into the breeze financially just to try and be with the band on what was, at that time, potentially their last hurrah, for better or worse.

I tell you, you can wash it away however you like, but the Michael Anthony affair, in my opinion, is a sad fucking shame on Van Halen's part. I don't care that Mike never contributed to the songwriting...that guy was with the band for nearly 30 YEARS, touring, recording, playing, promotion, videos, interviews, whatever. All of it.

Frankly, I don't give a shit what anybody has to say about, Mike deserves better and the name "Van Halen" will always leave a bitter taste in my mouth because of all the bullshit that's went down since 1985. This tour isn't enough to ever completely erase that. NOTHING will be.

Man, thank God for the memories...

Let the flames commence! :)

DavidLeeNatra
10-07-2007, 06:30 AM
I hear ya, BB...but...this is not the "godfather" here...no one put a gun at basspalyer's head and said "sign it or I blow your brain over the contract"...

he wanted that "last tour", he got it and he paid for it...he had a choice, I say...

DLR'sCock
10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
You know what, Michael Anthony got a free ride and ALOT, I mean ALOT of fucking money from publishing, when he never wrote the songs. Dave and Ed wrote the songs, we all know this, and Al pretty much got a free ride as well.

This isn't like Ozzy where Bob Daisley wrote most all of Ozzy's lyrics and alot of music up tthrough No MOre Tears, but he got fucked by the Osbournse when it came to $$$...

DLR'sCock
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
You know what, Michael Anthony got a free ride and ALOT, I mean ALOT of fucking money from publishing, when he never wrote the songs. Dave and Ed wrote the songs, we all know this, and Al pretty much got a free ride as well.

This isn't like Ozzy where Bob Daisley wrote most all of Ozzy's lyrics and alot of music up tthrough No MOre Tears, but he got fucked by the Osbournse when it came to $$$...

One more thing, when a songwriter gives you credit towards something you never did, it's a gift.

Mike is a multimillionaire, he will be ok.

His deal has paid off in spades as opposed to he never received writing credit ever, ie publishing $$$$, and continued to get performance $$$$......

Believe me, in the long run, Mike is still way ahead.

tod
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
MA is doing his thing with Spammy. Of course they could've brought him along but Wolfman does the job just fine. I heard some of the FLACs from Charlotte and the band sounds fine. Surely its about monetary divisions but also about starting something new. With MA along, who knows what kind of warped PR they might encounter since he's on good terms with Spammy? Anyway, if MA sold off his rights then why shouldn't VH remove him from credits? Yes, MA was part of the band but he sold off his piece of it. Tour or no, it was a foolish move to give up his royalties...completely insane, actually.

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, here's the situation on that. Mike told a few people I know who met him back in 2004 to get some shit signed after the show out here that, conditional to him playing at all in 2004, he had to sign off on everything to Ed and Alex - all future royalties to the name Van Halen, the music, the songwriting credits, every fucking bit of it. He won't ever again make ONE red cent off of anything he ever did in Van Halen. Nothing. No performance credits, no royalties - jack shit, essentially.One of my friends literally flipped his wig and went "What the fuck did you do THAT for???"
Mike's answer was that he assumed Van Halen was fucked anyway and that 2004 tour was going to be it, forever

So Mike assumed that Van Halen was fucked so he signs away his rights and then joins the band for a tour. Sounds like something a complete moron would do. It also sounds like he fucked himself by listening to Spam. Sam probably said to Mike, "go ahead and sign away everything....Van Halen is fucked without The Red Rocker... they will never do anything after this 2004 tour."

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
One of the shittiest things I've ever heard regarding a major band that was once signed to a label...

Again, Van Halen shows why they lack class and will never be on par with the likes of The Who, The Rollingstones, or Led Zeppelin. They don't deserve to be...

This is what happens when you hand the "keys" over to a drunken, socially retarded "savant."

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/111.jpg

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by SRK
It seems like there may be a lot more to this story ...then we know...

It seems VAN HALEN was looking for a bass player or rumored to be as far back as the first few albums.....Dave talks about it in his book,
Sheehan talks about how he was asked to join once...and I remember
Eddie in an early interview hinting that maybe the bass player was not pulling his wieght......It seems very stupid to give up your rights just to tour in 2004 I Mean he had to know that was a bad move....I just think there must be alot we don`t know about.....may be Ed thinks he came up with the bass lines .... I dont know? and we may never know.....

Um dude, "we know this," and it's not the point.

It had little to do with Mike "pulling his weight." It had more to do with some ingrained hatred of Mike that Ed has, for whatever reason. I'm doubt it's even all about song royalties/money or whatever. In any case, if he wanted to fire Mike then, fine - fire him and replace him with a guy whose "dueling" bass wouldn't have mixed with Ed's guitar (which was why Mike was there to begin with) and can't sing. BTW, Ed also wanted to join KI$$ in 1981-82 after Frehley left, largely because he couldn't stand Roth. and maybe because he even wanted to have an excuse to get away from his brother?

Gee, it seems Ed isn't really so good at making major decisions. Because, he's an impulsive fuckwit with a host of "issues"...

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Mike was a fool to sign away the rights, period.

Even if they never toured again or made another record, there is still money to be made off of merchandising and old album sales. Van Halen's back catalogue still sells quite well.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't believe Mike signed away all of his rights. Mike is on record of saying that he still gets royalties and none of that "was affected"...

I think this could get contentious...

It seems that for some reason, 1984 is the main album that Mike may not get song writing credits though. He probably did give the rights on that one though, prolly because the band demanded that since that music is still most in the collective memory ( soundtracks, 80s retro, or whatever)

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I suppose he might, but when he signed away his songwriting rights to those records, he lost royaltees on any future sales.

There are three royaltees associated with record sales: the producer royaltee, the songwriting royaltee, and the performer royaltee.

Each one I believe is a different percentage of the cut. That's why guys like McCartney and Wilson, who did it all for most of their careers, make alot of money on their album sales. They get the whole royaltee.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:21 AM
He didn't though...

I don't think we can base a lot of speculation on something one guy heard second hand from someone he met years ago...

I'm pretty sure gave away "1984," probably because of soundtrack and the greatest hits resurgence of "Panama."

He's still on the other five, and yet they may remove him form the artwork? :rolleyes:

And there's no way Anthony signed over everything...

Ed would have made a great Stalinist secret policeman. A ruthless purger of people and revisionist of history and "non-persons." What a cunt...

If Ed ODed tomorrow, I would not shed a tear. I'm not hoping for that, but I still wouldn't care all that much nor feel all that bad...

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree that changing album artwork is a raw deal. That's just awful on every level.

I consider Ed an asshole on every level, I just think Anthony was a little foolish to sign anything before having his lawyer look it over.

bigdaddyb
10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
or you could just type in Michael Anthony and see he's listed on all these VH songs still just not on 84 songs

Michael Anthony Credits (http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=8676810&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=10&start=1)

Jim Shetterlini
10-07-2007, 11:28 AM
One more thing, when a songwriter gives you credit towards something you never did, it's a gift.

Mike is a multimillionaire, he will be ok.

His deal has paid off in spades as opposed to he never received writing credit ever, ie publishing $$$$, and continued to get performance $$$$....Believe me, in the long run, Mike is still way ahead.
This is by far the most honest and accurate acccount of what happened with MA... There are so many other players in other bands that never get any credit because they did not write or create the song they just recorded them as a player with the songwriter(s)....Elvis had many guys that played on alot of his albums but never got songwriting credits... I do not feel at all sorry or bad for MA. I do not hate him hell I met him in Omaha and Alpine Valley WI...Great guy but he was treated rather well financially and legally through the years by the VH BROTHERS....If you think about it, if he had a legitimate case to stand on, do you think he would have signed itall a way just for one reunion tour? No of course not,but that is just it, he did not have anything to fight it with so basically he agreed...

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=8676810&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

That's the search for Michael Anthony. No 1984 songs listed.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Yup! I'm right...

Interesting, they must have had some deals for use of 1984 songs for soundtracks ("Superbad") and other stuff at the time of the 2004 tour...

How fucking petty are these guys?

Jesus! :rolleyes: A couple of buck$ out of Anthony's pocket and into theirs? Does it really make any difference?

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah, but the question is, was he legally forced to sign away his rights?

He didn't have to do the 2004 tour, but probably did at Hagar's behest.

Anthony had to have known that there was going to be a Roth reunion at some point. The only way it wasn't going to happen was if Ed dropped dead at any moment.

Hyman Roth
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Was this posted already somewhere else?

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/04/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet/

"9/4/07, 2:22 pm EST

Fired Van Halen Bassist: “I Found Out on the Internet”

Rolling Stone

..."

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah Mike was dumb to sign away one album blah blah blah...

But the point here is that why is Ed (and I'm sure he's the main one behind this) cutting Mike out of the only album that's legally safe to do, and possibly 'chopping CVH album artwork?

Let's not blame the victim for being dumb; let's blame the perpetrator for being a petty, retarded asshole whose legacy is going to be shittier than George Bush's...

bigdaddyb
10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by WAR
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=8676810&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

I just posted this 2 posts up from yours LOL!!

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
Was this posted already somewhere else?

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/04/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet/

"9/4/07, 2:22 pm EST

Fired Van Halen Bassist: “I Found Out on the Internet”

Rolling Stone

..."

No. Not the album chopping...

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:43 AM
BTW, I bet Mike still gets royalties from 1984, I bet he only agreed to let his name not be used in credits...

How 'bout them apples?

bueno bob
It's hard to say. I heard what I did from two separate sources who spoke to him in person back in 2004, but who knows? Like Nick said, my info is second hand...therefore could be erroneous.

Financially, I'm sure Mike's doing better than any of us and can afford to fuck off to crowds of 100-200 a night with Sammy for the rest of his life. And if it's fun for him, hey, I've got no problem with that at all. As far as I'm concerned personally, he's still the bass player for Van Halen and he's always going to be - Wolfgang is simply subbing.

The point of the matter is, regardless of what he has rights to and what he doesn't, Ed forcing him to sign off and surrender his interest in any part of his history in Van Halen as a condition to play in 2004, no matter to what degree, was a very shitty, low class move. In retrospect, I'm sure Mike wishes he wouldn't have done it now, but he's said in several interviews that he was pretty certain Van Halen was on it's last legs based on where Ed was at and after some consideration the right thing for him to do was to go out with it and not let somebody else fill in his position. I can totally understand that position - it's not like there'd been multiple bass players since 1976 and nobody else belongs there.

PlexiBrown
It boils down to Ed not wanting Mike in the band for a long time and then as Wolfgang got older Ed wanting his son in the band. Actually, I don't believe what anyone in Van Halen says (past or present) including Mike. Ed is the worst concerning the horse shit but none of them are angels. And Sammy flip flops all over the place and Mike is attached to Spam so who the hell knows what is really going on behind the scenes.

bueno bob
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by WAR
Yeah, but the question is, was he legally forced to sign away his rights?

He didn't have to do the 2004 tour, but probably did at Hagar's behest.

Anthony had to have known that there was going to be a Roth reunion at some point. The only way it wasn't going to happen was if Ed dropped dead at any moment.

Well that's kinda the point. He didn't have to do 2004, but c'mon, how many people would have had a FIELD DAY with that??

We were pissy enough that Hagar was back in, how bad would we have been without Mike to boot?

And as I remember, we ALL thought that Ed was going to drop dead at any second...

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Maybe, but it doesn't make it right. In fact, it comes across as just completely phony and spiteful. Pretty much the way Ed slashed Dave for months in 1985-86 before Dave struck back. Needing some villain to blame for his own problems...

Ed is the worst human being by far...

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Let's not blame the victim for being dumb; let's blame the perpetrator for being a petty, retarded asshole whose legacy is going to be shittier than George Bush's...

How about I blame all of them?

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bigdaddyb
I just posted this 2 posts up from yours LOL!!

Sorry, dude, you posted that while I was doing the searching. I only saw yours after I posted mine. hehe ;)

Warham
10-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well that's kinda the point. He didn't have to do 2004, but c'mon, how many people would have had a FIELD DAY with that??

We were pissy enough that Hagar was back in, how bad would we have been without Mike to boot?

And as I remember, we ALL thought that Ed was going to drop dead at any second...

I dunno, I didn't care about 2004, period. If Dave wasn't in, I wouldn't have cared if they had a different drummer, guitarist or bass player.

Hyman Roth
10-07-2007, 11:58 AM
BTW, I bet Mike still gets royalties from 1984, I bet he only agreed to let his name not be used in credits...

How 'bout them apples?

He was pretty clear in the interview that he didn't give up his rights to
royalties. Still, I would want to read the contract(s)...

We can deduce from the behavior of the parties and what has been said that Mike is getting shat upon...

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 11:59 AM
WAR -Well you've already written some about the 2004 period...

In any case, Mike was also in Van Halen in the 1977-1984 period. Trying to remove him from that as much as legally can be gotten away with should get Ed the Mr.Douchebag 2007 award...

And I think it would be proof that Dave has become his muzzled bitch, as I cannot believe that Dave, Al, or even Wolfgang would be on board with this shit without some trepidation...

Shame on all of them...

And as for Mike allowing this to happen, even if only his name won't be used on song credits on a soundtrack for a teen comedy - we'll that's dumb.

But just because (Edwad) CAN do something doesn't mean he SHOULD do something like this...

I'm pretty much done buying any new "Van Halen" products, unless it's live material from the era of 1974-1984...

Warham
10-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Dave just wants to play with Ed. I don't think he really gives two shits about Michael Anthony, besides the history.

Hyman Roth
10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Dave a muzzeled bitch? How dare you.

http://media.putfile.com/Van-Halen-Charlotte-092707-1

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by WAR
Dave just wants to play with Ed. I don't think he really gives two shits about Michael Anthony, besides the history.

I think that you are right. Also, it is sounding pretty fucking good and they are playing to packed arenas with the fans really into it.

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WAR

That's fine. But I think you mean he wants to clean up the money from this tour and pad his retirement fund - has little to do with the nostalgia for the good ol' days of playing with a temperamental prodigy-drunk he rarely got along with anyways...

Originally posted by Hyman Roth
Dave a muzzeled bitch? How dare you.

http://media.putfile.com/Van-Halen-Charlotte-092707-1

Because he's just dismissed it and gone along with everything.

These shows are largely devoid of Dave'ism-monologues and even his press conference stuff was oddly repressed and he seemed to be repeating his boasts made after the MTV 1996 debacle, where Dave had one plan, and the guys with the actual "keys" had another...

In any case, Dave said on his show he wanted a complete reunion...Just as Ed said he'd never do a "nostalgia tour."

They're both full of shit, and it's all about money and pumping up Wolfgang's fat ass...

Warham
10-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure. Maybe Dave is nostalgic about playing with Ed. Maybe he is trying to pad his retirement fund at the same time. Maybe he's not nostalgic about Mike because Mike wasn't involved in the creative process. Who knows.

Dave probably doesn't do any of his raps, etc, because he doesn't want to piss Ed off. If that's Dave's way of bending over and grabbing the ankles to complete a tour and possibly work together with Ed in the future, maybe he thinks it's worth it. He's probably reached an age where he says 'fuck it' with the ego-driven behavior. Maybe he'd just rather hand the keys over to Ed at this point.

Maybe the stuff about reunions, etc, just isn't possible any longer, and Dave's just going along for the ride.

Lots of rock acts have said stupid stuff, done stupid stuff, and have just plain been assholes over the years. Van Halen is no different.

(Of course, being a Beach Boys fan, I see things with a different perspective than some. There's not a bigger American soap opera than those guys.)

Dave's PA Rental
10-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I think that it bothers me more (if it happens) if they remove MA from the album graphics...I don't know why...

The whole thing is too fucking petty and lame.

Eddie, its great that you finally have your kid in the band with you...but trying to erase the past is just sad.

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 12:29 PM
People change and also sometimes relationships become obsolete. Such is life. There are 20,000 people at each show having a great time. Isn't that what rock is all about? The attendace at these shows and the fans reaction at these shows speaks volumes. People would like Mike there but the fact that he isn't there is NOT hurting this tour or fan reaction at the shows. Even leaving the arena I couldn't believe how loud and pumped the fans still were!

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
We're not talking about what appears to be little more than a one-off "nostalgia tour" here, which in the end will be pretty forgettable. We're talking about a band's legacy, and even perhaps what could have been if they weren't such obstinate, reticent assholes (and yes, I mean collectively).

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 12:59 PM
and even perhaps what could have been if they weren't such obstinate, reticent assholes (and yes, I mean collectively).

I hear what you are saying but what is the point of being concerned over what could have been? It's done. I would have thought that if there were so many fed up fans that Van Halen would be playing to half empty arenas on this tour.

Warham
10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't think this affects the band's legacy at all. Anthony getting kicked out is an afternote, especially after all these years.

Their legacy has already been shaped, for good or bad. They will always be remembered as a upper second tier American band, right in the same group as Aerosmith. Nothing they do now will really alter it much.

Hyman Roth
10-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Because he's just dismissed it and gone along with everything.

Did you see the putfile video I linked? I was being facetious. I don't
know what Ed was barking at Dave about at the beginning of 'So this is
love' during that first show....but if we could get a frame by frame
analysis of the look on Dave's face while he is spinning away from Ed,
it might be interesting...

Hyman Roth
10-07-2007, 01:22 PM

hotdog@ a shake
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I saw that clip ...

It appears Dave was Like, "Yeh, whatever Ed ..."

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Give this nigga a sticky!!!

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
According to source the Van Halen artwork was altered and airbrushed on WACF and VHI... on the official web site when it first opened. I never noticed that... and then it was changed back to normal.

DLR'sCock
10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Ok, so the only royalty the Michael is not receiving from publishing is the 1984 album, but he still receiving it from ALL of the other VH songs, he's fine guys.

In most bands, the person or people who wrote the songs get the publishing. Also no matter what Mike will receive publishing from his performance royalties as well, no matter what.

The only I don't think Mike will get moeny from the future sales of the VH trademark sold via merchandising, t-shirts, g-strings, hats, whateva.....

All in all we really have no idea what Mike signed away....

ALSO, Nick I agree that it is fucked completely, and VH is dysfunctional, but he didn't have to sign it either.......

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
This is reunion is being ruined because EVH is a fucking asshole. Yeah Dave is in... yes... I got fucking goosebumps from the youtubes and Pojo review.... but dude... this is seriously fucked up! MA has been a class act during this whole fiasco... and you know what... he was the only fucking original member to show up for the Hall of fame!! Even Dave was a pussy that evening!!

DLR'sCock
10-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Dave, Ed and Al didn't show up because it was a message to everyone that "these 3" are united, and The RNHoF doesn't mean jack shit really. It is a PRIVATE organization, so really who cares?

philouze
10-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I LOVE THIS SHIT !!! No kidding..

philouze
10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I can almost hear the theme of "The Bold & The Beautiful"..

Tomorrow, I'll stop pot.
At one condition: Get MA in the band. Hehe, I'm not done with reefers, yay !

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Dave, Ed and Al didn't show up because it was a message to everyone that "these 3" are united, and The RNHoF doesn't mean jack shit really. It is a PRIVATE organization, so really who cares?

Fuck that bullshit.
Dave was being a Pre-madonna!

It's like sayin' Dan Marino shouldn't attend the hall of fame... if he couldn't throw a pass to Mark Clayton.

Mike had nothing but nice things to say about EVH.

WARF
10-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by philouze
I can almost hear the theme of "The Bold & The Beautiful"..

Tomorrow, I'll stop pot.
At one condition: Get MA in the band. Hehe, I'm not done with reefers, yay !

I don't care if Mikey has been replaced. I don't think he deserves to be treated like he didn't fucking exist.

Remember Brad Starks couldn't even add a DLR avatar at the pleasure dome because of fucking Eddie???

Too fucking controversial... the fuckin' MAN who fucking IS VAN HALEN.. can't have a fucking avatar... but Gary Cherone can... cuz he is Ed's fucking soulmate?!?!

philouze
10-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I fuckin second what you just said, man..

WARF
10-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Last but not fucking least.. I am now gonna remove the fucking ass Doctor Detriot avatar... and place it with Michael Fucking Anthony!!!

If I can get a pic of him that will fit 100 X100

philouze
10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
13th beer so far ?

MAX
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh PLEASE WARF... :rolleyes:

You know me loves you (not in a Pete way) but why can't you just enjoy what we've both finally received and been blessed with?

Screw MA in the now. Fine, I respect his past but this tour's kicking ass and I can't wait to see it!!!

Maybe you'll be changin' your tune when the second leg's announced and they hit FL?

The proof's in the motherfucking pudding and it shows now and more than ever that MA's beyond replacable...

Besides, the subsequent removal his songwriting credits are a few years old now.

One other thing, how about all the assnuts who ripped Dave's solo act for years for performing a Van Halen setlist (even though Dave WROTE the tunes) and now are giving MA a free pass for doing primarily the same thing? :confused: Well and with the exception being that MA sounds like muleshit in a frying pan whilst trying to sing such songs as "Atomic Punk" and "Little Dreamer!!!" Yes, I've seen the youtube clips and want a refund for the meals I blew after witnessing such a debauchery.

TVGUY
10-07-2007, 03:32 PM
It's funny how we've gotten what we always wanted. And yet we find ways to bitch and complain. Dave's back. (so far) And that's practically a dream come true... We've been talking about this for 20plus years... Do we really care about bass player that much... Sure, I liked Mikey. But he was just a back seat passenger on the Van Halen hotrod. I wish him well and I'm sure he's in great fiscal shape.. Better than most of us put together. Time to move on to that future that Dave mentioned at the press conference.

WARF
10-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Damnit...
It's not about fucking MA not being there... the band fucking rocks!!

It's about EVH the asshole... who is little by little removing MA from the history of the band. First 1984... then who fucking knows... he'll be off the album cover next... like the rumor that is circulating... and it CAN fucking happen... as you can remember there is a picture of Kirk Hammett on Kill Em All replacing Dave Mustaine!!

LiKE i said... I just wrapped up a 12 pack of beer... so I might be just blowin' off steam... but it appears Mikey is gettin' fucked in the ass... and Eddie plays his members like a game of spades... Sammy was fired twice damnit lol... Who says Dave won't be fired again...

10-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Don`t waste your time on the Michael Fucking Anthony issue. He is a two faced piece of shit. All you MA lovers should create you own forum. What has MA every done to get Dave back in the group? If your not keen on the new line up you should stay away from the shows. Maybe, the shows should include archive footage of a MA bass solo , so you can masturbate to the musical/performing genius. LOL.
OH, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, NOW DAVE`S BACK IN THE BAND, THERE`S NOTHING FOR ANYONE TO MOAN ABOUT, SO YOU HAVE STARTED, A FAT SMELLY MULLET FAN CLUB!

PlexiBrown
10-07-2007, 04:38 PM
A few people here are just trying to stir up shit on stuff that hasn't even happend. Ed is a dick. We get it.

Mike got fucked but he also fucked himself. I used to like Mike but as time when on I saw that he is just as phoney as the rest of them and he has NO BALLS! A total puppet whether it be with Sam working his strings or Ed.

bantonelli
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Intellectual Property Question:

Can VH legally produce merchandise, CD's, DVD's etc. using original pictures of Album Covers WITHOUT giving a dime to MA ??

Could it be that EVH's legal team have instructed him to remove all visible images and likeness of MA, so as not to sell future merchandise and leave VH wide open for a lawsuit from MA ?

jharp84
10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
Intellectual Property Question:

Can VH legally produce merchandise, CD's, DVD's etc. using original pictures of Album Covers WITHOUT giving a dime to MA ??

Could it be that EVH's legal team have instructed him to remove all visible images and likeness of MA, so as not to sell future merchandise and leave VH wide open for a lawsuit from MA ?

I guess if that is the case we are never gonna see the live dvd's/cd's from the GLORY YEARS! 1978-1984 :mad:

katie
10-07-2007, 06:15 PM
They tried removing MA image from their website and then quickly put it back when the public disagreed.

I think we will see a live DVD because Ed will do it for his son.

As VH will have you believe Wolfie picked the set list for the tour,
I just hope Wolfie picks the CVH footage from the archives for this DVD as well....

WARF
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Do yyou remeber eyes wide shut?? Do tou think they'll put in the imaigenry bodies?!?! and cover the pussoes and the dicks?!?! And insrt him in the US Festival..d

WARF
10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
When did the tree hit uss

katie
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.drugs-plaza.com/pictures/funny/bugsgal4th.jpg

WARF
10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
HEY KATIE!!!!!
DAFFY FUCK IS GETTIN' HIGH?

jharp84
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm going to be getting high soon! But I don't think ED/AL will ever give us the "archives" on dvd since the MA thinggy!

jharp84
10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
BTW! WTF started all the shit w/KAtie? I can see Katiedid, maybe all gettin high as well??

jhale667
10-07-2007, 07:41 PM
and it CAN fucking happen... as you can remember there is a picture of Kirk Hammett on Kill Em All replacing Dave Mustaine!!

If you think back, Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman" came out in '82 with Sarzo and Aldridge's pictures on the inner sleeve, yet Daisley and Kerslake were the ones who'd actually recorded the tracks...
The final insult was when Sharon replaced the original TRACKS with Mike Bordin and Robert Trujillo a few years back....fucking blasphemy...:mad:
Sharon was doing this shit before EVH knew it was(n't) cool...

Guy from Miami
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I can't blame EVH on this one. Michael Anthony signed it. He is the fool. It takes an idiot to sign away songwriting royalties. Just to do a tour? There is no one to blame for that except Michael Anthony and his best friend Hagar. If I was Michael I would of not done the tour and let them fade into obscurity. I would not of made the instant tour revenue but at least my heirs and I would of been living off the songs royalties for eternity or until the copyright expires and the music goes into public domain. That is like George Lucas signing away his ownership of the Star Wars movies. You just don't do that for the quick buck.

bru87tr
10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
One of the shittiest things I've ever heard regarding a major band that was once signed to a label...

Again, Van Halen shows why they lack class and will never be on par with the likes of The Who, The Rollingstones, or Led Zeppelin. They don't deserve to be...

This is what happens when you hand the "keys" over to a drunken, socially retarded "savant."

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/111.jpg

the problem is, the car stalled and was off to the junk yeard till the halens gave the keys to dave.

now whos driving the "Van Halen" car ?

danielc
10-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Here's a quote from Eddie from Guitar One magazine. It's an interview from '82:

"...I won't rag too much on Dave; he pulls his weight. Mike [Anthony] doesn't. He doesn't do anything; he has no input whatsoever. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a [Porsche] Turbo Carrera with the money he's made off of us. Whatever."

PlexiBrown
10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by danielc

"...I won't rag too much on Dave; he pulls his weight. Mike [Anthony] doesn't. He doesn't do anything; he has no input whatsoever. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a [Porsche] Turbo Carrera with the money he's made off of us. Whatever."

A messed up thing to say in an interview but probably not far from the truth. VH is Dave and Ed.

Nickdfresh
10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by danielc

LOL So now Ed's statements in interviews are gospel?

He said that Van Halen was a "Volkswagen" with Dave, and became a "Porsche" with Sammy...

The guy's a self-serving douche with no credibility that says whatever and whenever he has a stick up his drunken ass about somebody...

PlexiBrown
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
EVH should just play the guitar and never speak. He always sounds like a moron when he speaks.

Hyman Roth
10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
LOL So now Ed's statements in interviews are gospel?

He said that Van Halen was a "Volkswagen" with Dave, and became a "Porsche" with Sammy...

The guy's a self-serving douche with no credibility that says whatever and whenever he has a stick up his drunken ass about somebody...

Yeah but at least this quote shows that Ed had a stick up his ass
about Mikey and his role as a member of the band since at least

jharp84
10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by bru87tr
the problem is, the car stalled and was off to the junk yeard till the halens gave the keys to dave.

now whos driving the "Van Halen" car ?

THAT! IS WHAT I'M TALKIN 'BOUT"

jharp84
10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
EVH should just play the guitar and never speak. He always sounds like a moron when he speaks.

He spoke while drunk! Something no-one should ever do! Trust me I know!! :o

PlexiBrown
10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
He spoke while drunk! Something no-one should ever do! Trust me I know!! :o

Yeah, I was hanging out with a friend the other night and he was drunk off his ass. The next day he says to me, "did I say anything fucked up last night?" and I just laughed and said, "brother, you don't even want to know!"

Warham
10-08-2007, 06:03 PM
People rarely change over the years. If Ed's an ass now, he was an ass back in the glory days.

Were fans complaining then about Ed being a prick?

jharp84
10-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by WAR
People rarely change over the years. If Ed's an ass now, he was an ass back in the glory days.

Were fans complaining then about Ed being a prick?

I remember from my "earlier" years hearing how Ed was always one of the "nicest" guys! in music(whatever you call it!), that is one reason I was really taken by how he turned into such a "jag-off" since the split!!

jharp84
10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I was hanging out with a friend the other night and he was drunk off his ass. The next day he says to me, "did I say anything fucked up last night?" and I just laughed and said, "brother, you don't even want to know!"

HEY! THAT'S ME(unfortunately) EVERY FUCKIN MORNING I OPEN THIS SITE!! :monekyr:

ace diamond
10-08-2007, 06:39 PM
SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
AND THEN YOU WAKE UP AND START ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Seshmeister
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by WAR

But his huge cuntribution to Eruption and 316 are still being rewarded...

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Look Michael Anthony is not, and was not a songwriter, Dave and Ed wrote them, it was a fucking gift.

Well in Ed's mind it's time that a small portion of the gift giving ends, and MIKE signed it away.

knuckleboner
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
mike's apparently always wanted to tour.

in 2000, when nobody was saying anything, at NAMM mike told us (excitedly) that van halen was looking to tour with "a name you know." we now know he was talking about dave.

during the 2002 dave/sam tour, mike offered to play with dave.

mike has played with the atomic punks. and yes, he's played with sam.

in fact, of al, ed and mike, it's CLEAR who really wants to get out and play in front of people.

so, he's got enough money, and when offered one last chance to tour with van halen in 2004, i can easily believe mike would sign away other rights. in exchange for tour revenue, he gives up other future revenues, but gets to tour.

and if i had to guess, i'd say mike would've jumped at the chance to play for free on this latest tour. he just never got the chance.

ZahZoo
10-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
But his huge cuntribution to Eruption and 316 are still being rewarded...

Yep Cathedral too!! Not to mention How Many Say I... yikes!!

The only album Mike was no longer listed as a writer is 1984. All other stuff even VH III, still lists him as a writer.

The original artwork was a 1 day fuckup on the newly redesigned official web site. Fixed after the fans bitched.

Warf have you been in jail or on a VH hermit recluse sabatical again?

Hyman Roth
10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Yep Cathedral too!! Not to mention How Many Say I... yikes!!

The only album Mike was no longer listed as a writer is 1984. All other stuff even VH III, still lists him as a writer.

The original artwork was a 1 day fuckup on the newly redesigned official web site. Fixed after the fans bitched.

Warf have you been in jail or on a VH hermit recluse sabatical again?

A cocksucker quoting another cocksucker.

ZahZoo
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I told them not to worry about your moods, that you generate those yourself and then think of the excuses for having them...

katie
10-09-2007, 06:35 PM
There has been many rumors than Van Halen has removed Michael Anthony from the songwriting credits. Well... it's official... he's been removed from 1984. There are also rumors that he is being removed from Album Artwork that will be shipped out from WACF and VH1

Click Here (http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300)
Then type 1984

I'm looking at my copy of 1984 and MA is listed.

That's fucked up!

If there is any justice then Ozzy Osbourne should be removed from the Black Sabbath song writing credits as Geezer Butler wrote almost all the lyrics....

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by katie
If there is any justice then Ozzy Osbourne should be removed from the Black Sabbath song writing credits as Geezer Butler wrote almost all the lyrics....

Ozzy was enver a writer of lyrics aside from here and there, but I do believe he should get a writer of music credit because from what I understadn is that he wrote his own vocal melodies, which I consider music, although I can't tell you how much he wrote and how muc hwas written by iommi or butler as far as melody.

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
And, as such, MICHAEL ANTHONY wrote his basslines as well. Which, absolutely, are PART OF THE MUSIC.

God I hate ignorant uneducated people.

If you are DEAF, or seemingly musically unaware, check out Michael Anthony's basslines to "Light Up The Sky," "In A Simple Rhyme," "Romeo Delight," "On Fire," "Source of Infection" during the guitar solo, the great overbearing slides in "Get Up," the unreal live bass on "So This Is Love" from Oakland 1981 (some of his best, Geezer Butler-esque playing), "Push Comes To Shove" (PERFECT bass and tone for that song), the bass during the guitar solo in "Somebody Get Me A Doctor," "Hang 'Em High," the unreal bass in the live Argentina version of "The Full Bug."

Seriously, these "Michael Anthony Sucks and is Worthless" threads REALLY show WHO is a fanboi sheep and who has some sort of clue...whether you hate the guy or not (usually most fanboi sheep DO hate him for the sole reason that he is friends with Sammy Hagar).

The basslines to the songs listed above are INTEGRAL to the songs. If you don't agree, then fine...someone else might think the vocal line or the guitar solo is equally not important. Does this mean that whomever wrote the vocal or guitar lines should be discredited as "not writing anything" too???? That is INANE. (BTW, ignorant 1980's fanboi sheep, "inane" means baseless. Or, to use your fanboi sheep-speak, "gay." Now I bet you understand.)

You can NOT argue that a bassline isn't a part of the song that is written, anymore than you can't argue the guitar line or vocal melody isn't a part of the "written song."

Idiots.

Here is some of Michael Anthony's most amazing playing, which makes the song 100 times more energetic and gives it that ellusive, "Wow this band is unreal" factor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C_Sebn7YyjE

thome
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I can't stand the bass on MYM a CGTSNM it's as if whoever played the bass on those two songs is purposefully trying to sound like sh!t.

PURE GARBAGE!!!^^^^

Could Mike have been against these reunions because of his frienship with Spambo...?hmmm?

Could Mike be a good bassist but anti Roth....?

These have been posed before, but they are valid questions.

I'm glad Wolfie is in there.

I am not anti MA.I am however finding it funny with him out(MA) everything is coming together and sounding great.

Funny Huh?

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
:monekyr:

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't know if you are a songwriter or not, but I am, and I can pretty much write a full song in my head and come up with the basic beats, riffs, melodies, lyrics, dynamics, etc etc by myself, no problem, but I do require players that are much better than me on guitar and drums to actualize the songs.

I have also been in many band situations when someone else wrote a song, and I added bass lines and backing vocals, harmony voclas, to the song that was pretty much written on guitar, with a vocal melody, lyric and all before hand. I consider those songs to be songs written by said songwriter, not me.

I have also been in bands when it was clear that multiple parties including myself took part in the writing.

It all depends on the situation. Having a good tone or sound, is not writing, and adding nuances to a written song is not writing.

You really don't know how it works do you? If Mike came up with the Riffs first, then he is writing, if he comes up with riffs or chord changes that are used then he is writing,........ for but if Mike is simply playing his simple bass line that is working off an already written riff then he is not. Now if a bass player writes a bass line that is truly intricate to the song, and comes out of nowhere, ala say Geddy lines, then he is writing.

I have a unique perspective on this that I play bass, my main instrument and I sing, but when I write I write on my guitar at home.

A song is defined by the music ie chords and changes and arrangements, VOCAL melody being that the vocals are for the most part the most important part of a song, and the lyric.

You can call other people idiots all you want, but it is what it is.

Mike was never a writer in the band, and it is fairly well documented and understood amongst the world.

The only album is taken off of is 1984, where he pretty much is just pedaling the root note of the chords.

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by thome
I can't stand the bass on MYM a CGTSNM it's as if whoever played the bass on those two songs is purposefully trying to sound like sh!t.

There is NO bigger sign of a fanboi than one who uses anagrams that are common to sheep but completely oblivious to a REAL fan...it takes about two minutes to figure out what the fanboi sheep mean with their internalized anagrams (which is further proof of how much their sad lives revolve around a band website). SOME people don't devote their entire lives to a band/business so much that they sit around making anagrams of unpopular songs with the ASSUMPTION that others think about said songs in the same manner and thus immediately recognize them.

(BTW...your idiocy shows even more when you can't even spell a three letter ANAGRAM properly..."Me Wise Magic" is "MYM"???? Where's your IROC-Z?)

However...once I figured out the songs you're talking about; it's pretty common knowledge that EVH played bass on those songs.

Can't argue with the bass playing in the link I posted above.

thome
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by SATAN BUSH
There is NO bigger sign of a fanboi than one who uses anagrams that are common to sheep but completely oblivious to a REAL fan...it takes about two minutes to figure out what the fanboi sheep mean with their internalized anagrams (which is further proof of how much their sad lives revolve around a band website). SOME people don't devote their entire lives to a band/business so much that they sit around making anagrams of unpopular songs with the ASSUMPTION that others think about said songs in the same manner and thus immediately recognize them.

(BTW...your idiocy shows even more when you can't even spell a three letter ANAGRAM properly..."Me Wise Magic" is "MYM"???? Where's your IROC-Z?)

However...once I figured out the songs you're talking about; it's pretty common knowledge that EVH played bass on those songs.

Can't argue with the bass playing in the link I posted above.

You are a Bot.

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't know if you are a song writer or not, but I am, and I can pretty much write a full song in my head and come up with the basic beats, riffs, melodies, lyrics, dynamics, etc etc by myself.

I have also been in many band situations when someone else wrote a song, and I added bass lines to the song that was pretty much written on guitar, with a vocal melody, lyric and all.

You really don't know how it works do you? If Mike came up with the Riff first, then he is writing, but if Mike is playing his simple bass line that is working off an already written riff then he is not.

I have a unique perspective on this that I play bass, my main instrument and I sing, but when I write I write on my guitar at home.

A song is defined by the music ie chords and changes and arrangements, VOCAL melody being that the vocals are for the most part the most important part of a song, and the lyric.

Mike was never a writer in the band, and it is fairly we ldocumented and understood amongst the world.

Writing a song is what YOU consider to be what is IMPORTANT to a song, and ONLY what YOU think is important?????

By THAT method of reasoning, then Paul McCartney shouldn't be credited with WRITING "Silly Love Songs" since he wrote it based around a BASSLINE.

Or, Geddy Lee shouldn't be credited with helping write "La Villa Strangiato" since, after all, he was just playing a bassline to the CHORDS that Alex Lifeson wrote, right?

You're a complete musical dwarf.

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Ok, you are not listening to me, and please, I am not insulting you, but if you want to go there we can.

Who writes the chords, depends on who writes them, and who writes the song depends on WHO writes it.

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Writing a song is what YOU consider to be what is IMPORTANT to a song, and ONLY what YOU think is important?????

By THAT method of reasoning, then Paul McCartney shouldn't be credited with WRITING "Silly Love Songs" since he wrote it based around a BASSLINE.

Or, Geddy Lee shouldn't be credited with helping write "La Villa Strangiato" since, after all, he was just playing Adding a bassline to the CHORDS that Alex Lifeson wrote, right?

You're a complete musical dwarf.

Of course one can write a song from the bass line, it is the beginning structure of the song, if one comes up with a bassline first, and someone else was to perse create a song from that, the originator should still get song writing credit.

Geddy and Alex wrote La Villa together as they write most songs together. If one was to come up with a complex bass lien that enhances the music to a written chord progression then I consider that writing, especially if the origintor would have never thought of that.

Adding a basic root 8th note pedal tone to a chord structure is not writing.

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Of course one can write a song from the bass line, it is the beginning structure of the song, if one comes up with a bassline first, and someone else was to perse create a song from that, the originator should still get song writing credit.

Geddy and Alex wrote La Villa together as they write most songs together. If one was to come up with a complex bass lien that enhances the music to a written chord progression then I consider that writing, especially if the origintor would have never thought of that.

Adding a basic root 8th note pedal tone to a chord structure is not writing.

Absolutely NONE of this is relevant. This is only what YOU believe the criteria is for being considered one of the songwriters of a song. YOU are discarding what YOU don't consider is important; however, what YOU don't think is important very well may BE the MOST important part of a song to someone else!

For instance...both "Girl Gone Bad" and "House Of Pain" are HEAVILY influenced by the DRUMLINES. They are INTEGRAL to these songs, for without them, the songs pretty much SUCK due to boredom. That means that Alex helped WRITE these songs because they are IN SOME WAY shaped or ENHANCED and thus have been partly WRITTEN by the DRUMMER in the way they exist in recorded form. Those drumlines are a WRITTEN PART OF THE SONG.

Just because YOU may not think it is important, this does not mean that Alex did not WRITE his parts the way HE wanted to...which means he was 1/4 the WRITER of that SONG. He WROTE his parts.

If a certain part (whether it be a bassline, drumline, guitarline, etc.) weren't actually WRITTEN then ANY GENERIC midi chord follower program would produce the SAME outcome to what was recorded on a song.

For instance, I WROTE this post. YOU might not think it relevant, and could be replaced by ANY OTHER post, but it MAKES UP a part of this thread, and therefore I am a PART WRITER of this thread, no matter how insignificant YOU may think it is!!!!

DLR'sCock
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
You know what man, please keep screaming at the wall, and you can form your own little band, and do whatever you want, and I will be in agreement with most songwriters and musicians in the real world.

BTW, I want Mike on the tour..........also if Mike agreed to sign away his writing credits for 1984 then that his choice, and a DUMB move, and he pretty much figured in his head that he didn't write anything either.

Would another musician or songwriter in these forums please explain to this raving lunatic what I am talking about?

later, I'm going out....

Hyman Roth
10-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
I told them not to worry about your moods, that you generate those yourself and then think of the excuses for having them...

Did you tell 'them' the truth that you suck anonymous cock in
Arkansas state park bathroom stalls too?

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 09:05 PM
You know what man, please keep screaming at the wall, and you can form your own little band, and do whatever you want, and I will be in agreement with most songwriters and musicians in the real world.

BTW, I want Mike on the tour..........also if Mike agreed to sign away his writing credits for 1984 then that his choice, and a DUMB move, and he pretty much figured in his head that he didn't write anything either.

Would another musician or songwriter in these forums please explain to this raving lunatic what I am talking about?

later, I'm going out....

I can pull examples out all day.

At what point does the bassline BECOME part of the written song? What is the "definition" then when a bassline actually is given "CREDIT" as being part of the written song? When it becomes complicated or catchy? That makes NO sense.

Here's an example...Rush's "Freewill." Take out the bass solo. Most of the bassline follows the guitar, plus a few fills that follow the drums. Does this make Geddy no longer a songwriter of the music?? By YOUR definition, only CERTAIN songs can the bass player be given credit for writing the song.

Hmmm....Rush's "Bravado" (a horrible song) has a terribly boring bassline. So, Geddy MUST NOT HAVE written the music on that song, right?

Your argument is BASELESS. No pun intended.

If you state, "Well Geddy's a great bass player, so that's different" basing his amazing basswork during guitar solos on older material, then your argument FURTHER holds no water. For, Michael Anthony's basslines during the guitar solos in "Source of Infection," the live version of "So This Is Love" from Oakland posted above, and the live bass during the solo on the version of "Eruption" from Oakland is equally as impressive.

Just because YOU may think Michael Anthony's basslines aren't impressive TO YOU does NOT mean that they aren't part of the WRITTEN SONG.

Nickdfresh
10-09-2007, 11:08 PM
In CVH, Mike was told how to play by Ted Templeman. He was the understated base of bass for Ed to showcase his guitar on. I do think Anthony was integral to Van Halen, but let's not overstate his presence or relevance to the written material. He wrote nothing and only figured out his arrangement, that doesn't make him a song writer and ASCAP would fucking laugh you out of their offices for such presumptions..

The bottom line, Ed is a cunt for getting rid of Mike credits on 1984 - BUT, I think Mike is still getting paid for those songs, as much as he is for any other.

And BTW, Ed has heaped scorn on Dave in the past, as being nothing more than a lyricist, which does not make him a "song writer" either. Jim Steinman is a "songwriter," Ed writes riffs, Dave writes words, and Mike and Alex figured out how they were too accompany the tune...

Warham
10-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Mike's still getting a performer's credit for all 1984 sales, as far as I can figure out, but it's about half of what he used to get.

In the case of who writes the songs, I usually consider the melody to be the main staple. I don't believe Mike had any substantial role in writing any of the melodies for any Van Halen song. I also don't consider a bass lick here or there to be a worthy of a songwriting credit.

TOM_5150
10-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Don't worry, MA has plenty of cash in his wallet to bitch slap everyone of his fans.

Seshmeister
10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
If you are DEAF, or seemingly musically unaware, check out Michael Anthony's basslines to ..."Source of Infection" during the guitar solo, the great overbearing slides in "Get Up,"

What is this some sort of cruel and unusual punishment for what you call the 'musically unaware'?

Not so bad I guess for the deaf people...

SATAN BUSH
10-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
What is this some sort of cruel and unusual punishment for what you call the 'musically unaware'?

Not so bad I guess for the deaf people...

Your ignorance is astounding. Besides the fact that you had to edit what I posted to only include those tunes...

The bass playing in those two songs, "Source of Infection" especially, is outstanding. You see, my prior posts in this thread regarded Michael Anthony's BASS PLAYING. The singer within the realm of the purpose of my posts on this thread was irrelevant...YOU are as well.

But, your fanboi sheep-ism can't let you HEAR that.

Jim Shetterlini
10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't know if you are a songwriter or not, but I am, and I can pretty much write a full song in my head and come up with the basic beats, riffs, melodies, lyrics, dynamics, etc etc by myself, no problem, but I do require players that are much better than me on guitar and drums to actualize the songs.

I have also been in many band situations when someone else wrote a song, and I added bass lines and backing vocals, harmony voclas, to the song that was pretty much written on guitar, with a vocal melody, lyric and all before hand. I consider those songs to be songs written by said songwriter, not me.

I have also been in bands when it was clear that multiple parties including myself took part in the writing.

It all depends on the situation. Having a good tone or sound, is not writing, and adding nuances to a written song is not writing.

You really don't know how it works do you? If Mike came up with the Riffs first, then he is writing, if he comes up with riffs or chord changes that are used then he is writing,........ for but if Mike is simply playing his simple bass line that is working off an already written riff then he is not. Now if a bass player writes a bass line that is truly intricate to the song, and comes out of nowhere, ala say Geddy lines, then he is writing.

Mike was never a writer in the band, and it is fairly well documented and understood amongst the world.

The only album is taken off of is 1984, where he pretty much is just pedaling the root note of the chords.

once again, explained only in a way someone actually in the business could explain what is going on here. If a certain individual would read this without being blinded by all the hatred maybe it would sink in...

SATAN BUSH
10-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
once again, explained only in a way someone actually in the business could explain what is going on here. If a certain individual would read this without being blinded by all the hatred maybe it would sink in...

"Someone actually in the business." Um, yeah. The BIG old music business....in New Jersey, home of all that is music. Right.

NEXT.

naturochem
10-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
I remember from my "earlier" years hearing how Ed was always one of the "nicest" guys! in music(whatever you call it!), that is one reason I was really taken by how he turned into such a "jag-off" since the split!!

Anyone remember when Ed supposedly nearly kicked the shit out of Alex Lifeson in a bar??

No offense, but what really "nice" guy would want to fuck up a faggy guy like Lifeson?? 'Tho he'd probably give Ed quite the sumo match these days, fat fuck that he is!! Good guitar player, but a bit gay you've got to admit...

I've heard that Ed was always anti-social, and very uncomfortable communicating unless he did so using an instrument -- I believe this is quite evident on many interviews I've heard... Can't help that the fucker has been in a two-decade+ alcohol induced stupor either...

Hey, the dude is still the most influential guitar player the world has seen (he certainly was for me..), but nice?? I don't think "Ed" & "nice" have been used frequently in the same sentence...

Jim Shetterlini
10-10-2007, 01:04 AM
"Someone actually in the business." Um, yeah. The BIG old music business....in New Jersey, home of all that is music. Right.

NEXT.

Are you intimate with Mike, because seriously dude your posts come across as a guy sticking up for his girlfriend after she didn't make prom queen....We get it Mike wrote, recorded, engineered, produced, pressed the discs, shipped, stocked the shelves, and rang up every god damn thing VH put out....right!

PlexiBrown
10-10-2007, 01:05 AM
One time I thought that EVH was going to punch Mr. Hanky but then he handed him a Snickers bar instead.

naturochem
10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
One time I thought that EVH was going to punch Mr. Hanky but then he handed him a Snickers bar instead.

:lol: :lol:

letsrock
10-10-2007, 01:31 AM
The brothers are dicks.

kamaboko
10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
I imagine after divorcing his wife, Ed blacked out her face on all the family pictures. LOL. I'm sure Alex followed suit. Wankers, the both of them.

I agree with BB, going to the effort to erase MA from 30 years of service is absolute shit. Furthermore, Ed could have picked up any bass player over the stretch of 30 years. Hell, tossing his kid into the mix is proof enough of that.

DLR'sCock
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM

And BTW, Ed has heaped scorn on Dave in the past, as being nothing more than a lyricist, which does not make him a "song writer" either. Jim Steinman is a "songwriter," Ed writes riffs, Dave writes words, and Mike and Alex figured out how they were too accompany the tune...

Ed and Dave are the team that write the songs together being that Ed wrote riffs, Dave wrote vocal melodies and lyrics over those riffs and Dave and Ed pretty much worked out most of the arrangements together. I am pretty sure Dave had alot to do with coming up with the backing vocals.

FYI, when it boils down to it $$$$ wise with publishing, as far as I know, the publishing money is broken down this way.

First 50% goes to "who owns the publishing" and the other 50% goes to the songwriter(s).

Songwriting is broken down this way technically when it comes this way...for the $$$$

50% is lyrics and 50% is music...

of course each band can work out their own deal.....

DLR'sCock
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini

Thanks man, but I myself am just a guy who loves to write and play, and will always do so for the rest of my life no matter what happens, it's in the blood. Whether someone thinks it's good or crap.