PDA

View Full Version : Gunfire erupts at Cleveland high school

ALinChainz
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
CLEVELAND - A gunman opened fire Wednesday at an alternative school and three children were taken to a hospital, and two adults were also injured, the mayor said.

"We have no reason to believe there's more than one suspect," Mayor Frank Jackson told reporters gathered outside the SuccessTech Academy. He also said the school had been secured, but he offered no other details.

The extent of the injuries was unknown.

Ronnell Jackson, 15, said he saw a shooter running down a hall at SuccessTech Academy.

"He was about to shoot me but I got out just in time," he said. "He was aiming at me I got out just in time."

Another student, Doneisha LeVert, said she heard the principal say "Code Blue" over the public address system, and the students started running. She said she hid in a closet with some of her friends.

Tammy Mundy, 38, who has a son and daughter at the school, told The Plain Dealer of Cleveland that her daughter called when the shooting started.

"She said, 'Mom they're shooting in here, kids are running out, I'm hiding in the closet,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Then she called her 18-year-old son, Darnell Rodgers, on his cell phone, and he told her he had been shot in the arm.

"He said, 'Mom I got shot,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Students stood outside the building, many in tears and on cell phones. Family members also stood outside, anxiously waiting for their children to be released.

"I'm scared. I'm hoping no more people got hurt," Jackson said.

SuccessTech Academy is a downtown alternative high school in the Cleveland city school district. It has about 240 mainly black students with a small number of white and Hispanic students. All the students are poor under federal poverty guidelines.

The school has an academic rating of continuous improvement, in the middle of the state's ratings for how well students perform. Its graduation rate is 94 percent, well above the district's rate of 55 percent.

The school emphasizes entrepreneurship by teaming teachers with local business owners to teach students about the business world. It uses an approach developed by E City Cleveland, a nonprofit group aimed at teaching business skills to inner-city teens.

According to the group's Web site, "E CITY is inspiring these teens by showing them that their innate street smarts, mental toughness, and creativity can be turned toward viable business ideas."

Story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071010/ap_on_re_us/school_shooting_18)

LoungeMachine
10-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Anybody heard from Unchainme lately?

LoungeMachine
10-10-2007, 03:07 PM
This shit has just gotten out of hand...

Kids shooting kids...

Cops shooting partygoers....

Employees shooting coworkers....

ONLY IN AMERICA

ALinChainz
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

A couple days ago.

Not sure what part of the state he's from but I asked him during the floods if that was anywhere near him and he said it wasn't, that where he lives it was quite the opposite.

I am not sure where this school is in relation to that.

twonabomber
10-10-2007, 03:32 PM
the school is downtown, across the freeway from the Rock Hall and Browns Stadium. fortunately it's about 8 blocks from the Q so we shouldn't have too much trouble getting downtown for the show.

the school is made up of mostly "at-risk" (as in poor black) students, i doubt if Unchainme fits that description.

ALinChainz
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
You're right twona, he doesn't. Just wondered about the 240 or so non-African American students.

ALinChainz
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
My bad, 240 total.

Gunman is dead, killed himself.

==================================================

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer

26 minutes ago

CLEVELAND - A gunman opened fire in a downtown high school Wednesday before killing himself, and five people were taken to a hospital, authorities said.

After the shooting, shaken teens called their parents on cell phones, most to reassure but in at least one case with terrifying news: "Mom, I got shot."

Mayor Frank Jackson said three teens and two adults were hurt. He said the children were in "stable, good condition," and the adults were in "a little elevated condition."

Police said SuccessTech Academy had been secured and that the lone suspect had fatally shot himself. Students said he was enrolled at the alternative school but did not attend class Wednesday.

Student Doneisha LeVert, who hid in a closet with two other students after she heard a "Code Blue" alert over the loudspeaker, said the shooter had threatened students Friday.

"He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," she said.

Ronnell Jackson, 15, said he saw a shooter running down a school hallway.

"He was about to shoot me, but I got out just in time," he said. "He was aiming at me I got out just in time."

Tammy Mundy, 38, who has a son and daughter at the school, told The Plain Dealer that her daughter called when the shooting started.

"She said, 'Mom they're shooting in here, kids are running out, I'm hiding in the closet,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Then she called her 18-year-old son, Darnell Rodgers, on his cell phone, and he told her he had been shot in the arm.

"He said, 'Mom, I got shot,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

The mayor said two boys, ages 14 and 17, were hurt, as were two men, ages 42 and 57, and a 14-year-old girl he said fell and hurt her knee while running out of the school.

The 57-year-old is a teacher and was in good condition, said Eileen Korey, a spokeswoman for Metro Health Medical Center. She said the older teenage student was in stable condition, and that conditions on the other patients were not being released.

Students stood outside the building, many in tears, hugging each other and on cell phones. Others shouted at reporters with TV cameras to leave them alone. Family members also stood outside, anxiously waiting for their children to be released.

"I'm scared. I'm hoping no more people got hurt," Ronnell Jackson said.

The shooting occurred across the street from the FBI office in downtown Cleveland, and students were being sent to the FBI site.

"There are a lot of emergency vehicles," said spokesman Scott Wilson. "They're just trying to sort things out right now."

Wilson said he had no information on the shooting.

SuccessTech Academy is an alternative high school in the Cleveland city school district that emphasizes technology and entrepreneurship. It is is housed on several floors of the district's downtown Cleveland Lakeside Avenue administration building.

"It's a shining beacon for the Cleveland Metropolitan School System," said John Zitzner, founder and president of E City Cleveland, a nonprofit group aimed at teaching business skills to inner-city teens. "It's orderly, it's disciplined, it's calm, it's focused."

The school has about 240 mainly black students with a small number of white and Hispanic students. All the students are considered poor under federal poverty guidelines.

The school, opened five years ago, ranks in the middle of the state's ratings for student performance. Its graduation rate is 94 percent, well above the district's rate of 55 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071010/ap_on_re_us/school_shooting_29

Unchainme
10-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Just saw this thread....

I live around Akron...Sorta near Canton as well(I've even played High School ball in Pro Football HOF Stadium :))..In a very quiet small town....and yeah..I am VERY far away from that shit...It's a shame though..We used to have all kinds of those goth freak-o kids in our school, but that fad is pretty small now..

This is really lame shit though...Fucking Freak kids like that need to get a fucking clue.

I was however Downtown that night because of a certain concert ;)