PDA

View Full Version : The Carvin Legacy Amp can get a pretty good EVH classic tone

Nitro Express
10-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I've never played a Carvin Legacy until last night. I liked it and the high gain channel was really nice for classic rock tones and the EQ quite versitile. It really could do a nice EVH classic tone with the right guitar. With some delay it would be close to the sound Ed got in the old days. I was impressed. You can run EL-34 or 6L6 tubes and there's a half power switch. Great glassy cleans and nice Marshally cruch. What more could you want. No ultra high gain though. This was a nicely voiced classic amp. I liked it.

jhale667
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I checked one out once, was not all that impressed. I had an X-100 rig as a kid...
didn't think it sounded much better (or different) than that....cool clean tones, as Carvins tube amps are known for, but not so much for gain, even a mid-level grit...
Actually, what I ended up doing with that was putting a 1 rack-space sized Chandler Tube Driver in front of it in the clean channel...sounded kick-ass!
I got a Boogie and never looked back, but in hindsight wish I'd held on to the Chandler...(sold it off in the early 90s..dumb) :( sounded glorious in front of any amp, especially an old Marshall or something...probably would sound cool in front of a Legacy too...
http://e.photos.cx/chand2-f1d.JPG:rolleyes:

Eddie's Booze
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I've never played a Carvin Legacy until last night. I liked it and the high gain channel was really nice for classic rock tones and the EQ quite versitile. It really could do a nice EVH classic tone with the right guitar. With some delay it would be close to the sound Ed got in the old days. I was impressed. You can run EL-34 or 6L6 tubes and there's a half power switch. Great glassy cleans and nice Marshally cruch. What more could you want. No ultra high gain though. This was a nicely voiced classic amp. I liked it.

How about this???

http://planbband.com/June%202005%2078%20JMP%20Front%20-%20Small2.jpg

Those Carvin's are probably pretty decent amps I've never tried one before. I'm just strictly in that one Vintage Marshall/Fender Twin Reverb tone.

:)

ELVIS
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
A Carvin sounds like a Carvin...

Not my cup of tea...

:elvis:

jhale667
10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
A Carvin sounds like a Carvin...

Not my cup of tea...

:elvis:

Nor mine, but I was a kid on a budget once. :D
The Carvins sound pedestrian (to my ears, at least), while a good Marshall or Boogie sounds like it might possibly destroy your neighborhood...:lol:

That JMP looks cool..how's it sound, EB?
I soo want to build a Plexi clone...:rolleyes:

Eddie's Booze
10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Nor mine, but I was a kid on a budget once. :D
The Carvins sound pedestrian (to my ears, at least), while a good Marshall or Boogie sounds like it might possibly destroy your neighborhood...:lol:

That JMP looks cool..how's it sound, EB?
I soo want to build a Plexi clone...:rolleyes:

Those JMP's rock, simple as that. Yngwie uses them. Also Michael Schenker used them back in the 70's when he was in UFO.

Nitro Express
10-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
How about this???

http://planbband.com/June%202005%2078%20JMP%20Front%20-%20Small2.jpg

Those Carvin's are probably pretty decent amps I've never tried one before. I'm just strictly in that one Vintage Marshall/Fender Twin Reverb tone.

I hear ya. I'm an old Marshall/Fender junkie. I don't know, a lot of things come into play speaker cabs, guitars, how the amp is biased, tubes. I was getting a good tone out of my friend's Legacy.

Nitro Express
10-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Marshalls are very tweakable. It's easier if it's the old peg board instead of circuit board but anything from a JTM 45 up to a JCM 800 can be revoiced the way you like.

It's just that collectors have driven the prices up. I have a Metro 67 kit and it's a decent amp. Building amps is fun but if you can get somebody that knows how to lay the wiring out neat to help you, that's a big plus.