PDA

View Full Version : Dana Perino: Global Warming Good For Your Health!!

LoungeMachine
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Perino: ‘There Are Public Health Benefits To Climate Change’ For People Who Die From ‘Cold’

In her press briefing yesterday, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino responded to reports that the White House “eviscerated” Center for Disease Control director Dr. Julie Gerberding’s Senate testimony on the “Human Impacts of Global Warming.” She claimed that “the decision” was “to focus that testimony on public health benefits” of climate change.” “There are public health benefits to climate change,” asserted Perino.

Asked to explain what some of those benefits are, Perino said that climate change “would help those individuals” who “die from cold-related deaths every winter“:

Q: And one more. You mentioned that there are health benefits to climate change. Could you describe some of those?

MS. PERINO: Sure. In some cases, there are — look, this is an issue where I’m sure lots of people would love to ridicule me when I say this, but it is true that many people die from cold-related deaths every winter. And there are studies that say that climate change in certain areas of the world would help those individuals. There are also concerns that it would increase tropical diseases and that’s — again, I’m not an expert in that, I’m going to let Julie Gerberding testify in regards to that, but there are many studies about this that you can look into.

While the National Research Council (NRC) has found that “cold-related stress is likely to decline” with climate change, it comes at the cost of “heat stress,” which “is projected to increase.” According to the NRC, “those with heart problems, asthma, the elderly, the very young and the homeless can be especially vulnerable to extreme heat.”

On the whole, the negative “health impacts of climate change are potentially huge“:

First, these hazards are diverse, global and probably irreversible over human time scales. They range from increased risks of extreme weather, such as fatal heat waves, floods and storms, to less dramatic but potentially more serious effects on infectious disease dynamics, shifts to long-term drought conditions in many regions, melting of glaciers that supply freshwater to large population centres, and sea level increases leading to salination of sources of agriculture and drinking water. Second, the health impacts of climate change are potentially huge. Many of the most important global killers are highly sensitive to climatic conditions. Malaria, diarrhoea and protein-energy malnutrition together cause more than 3 million deaths each year.

In the unredacted version of Dr. Gerberding’s testimony provided by Science Progress, the only mention of “public health benefits” related to climate change are a result of “activities needed to protect Americans from the health effects of climate change.”

UPDATE: Rolling Stone’s Tim Dickinson has more on Dana Perino’s history of climate change denial.

:rolleyes:

FORD
10-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Malloy was talking about this last night.

Then some dumbass kid from Montana called in and said that he thought global warming was a GOOD thing because it was 68 degrees in Montana in late October.

Unfortunately, he called in right at the end of the show, so Mike didn't get to rip him a new asshole the way he usually does with the ignorant Busheep.

LoungeMachine
10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm surprised any stations in Montana carry Malloy.....

I guess the luscious Perino was once part of the "Global Warming is a Myth" team for BushCO

Nickdfresh
10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
What about the people who are drowned in the coastal cities when flooded by melting polar ice caps?

Oh well, Dana is always looking on the bright side. She'd be so much more adept at discussing issues like Britney Spears' kids, the pitfalls and triumphs of wearing glitter, and whether she will get pregnant if she makes the boy pull out first...

FORD
10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Dana's not looking very hot here.... :(

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2007-10-25-bperino.jpg

scamper
10-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
What about the people who are drowned in the coastal cities when flooded by melting polar ice caps?

I didn't realize the water was going to come up that fast. On the bright side...no more SD wildfires.

Guitar Shark
10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
She looks VERY similar to my wife... whose name, coincidentally, is Dana.

A bit eerie actually...

knuckleboner
10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
She looks VERY similar to my wife... whose name, coincidentally, is Dana.

A bit eerie actually...

well then, congratulations, GS; lounge apparently wants to bone your wife...

LoungeMachine
10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
well then, congratulations, GS; lounge apparently wants to bone your wife...

The movie Indecent Proposal springs to mind.....

:D

Guitar Shark
10-26-2007, 02:21 PM
D'oh!!!

How can I possibly compete with a rock star??

LoungeMachine
10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
The night will come and go...

But the money could last a lifetime...

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
How many records did Winger sell, anyway?

LoungeMachine
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM

I expect better jokes from you, counselor.

Leave the Winger jokes to Dr.ASSPipe.

How's our Dana looking this morning?

What's she wearing?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
D'oh!!!

How can I possibly compete with a rock star??

HAS-BEEN rock star. There's the difference.

Guitar Shark
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

I expect better jokes from you, counselor.

Leave the Winger jokes to Dr.ASSPipe.

How's our Dana looking this morning?

What's she wearing?

Well, she's 8 months pregnant, so while she's got the "glow", she's also got the girth thing going, complete with cankles.

Still interested? ;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, she's 8 months pregnant, so while she's got the "glow", she's also got the girth thing going, complete with cankles.

Still interested? ;)

Classy.

LoungeMachine
10-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Classy.

This from the guy who bangs tortoise on the half-shell and begs people to tongue his asshole.

:confused:

matt19
10-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Sure doesn't help my tan though.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
This from the guy who bangs tortoise on the half-shell and begs people to tongue his asshole.

:confused:

That's my point. How low-down the food chain and tactless does someone have to get for ME to call them out??? :D

And I don't beg - I demand. And I DIDN'T give you permission to stop!