View Full Version : Should be playing Van Hagar on tour

CVH Rulz
10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Sammy playing it cool at 60

Red Rocker hits Bloomington with ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony

Thursday, October 25, 2007

By Phil Luciano
of the Journal Star

Sammy Hagar gushes over U2, but not like most fans of the Irish band.

Sure, he likes the music. But more so he appreciates how U2 has been able to remain at the top of its game for such a long time.

"They're my favorite band," says Hagar, who plays Saturday at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington. "All the drugs, divorces and whatever, they've hung in there, hung together. They know when to take time off, but they stay together."

You know whom he's thinking about. Hagar sounds wistful, a feeling he lets through once in a while when he thinks about Van Halen. Despite a history of pot shots from both sides since their rancorous 1996 split, the attacks have died down, with all parties more or less currently observing a truce. Much of the peace comes from the surviving Van Halen faction's making a business decision to be on its best behavior since reuniting this year with original vocalist David Lee Roth.

Though Van Halen's current tour has been met with positive reviews, fans and critics are quick to note that the band is doing absolutely no Hagar-era tunes. Hagar warns that the outfit cannot forever ignore the Van Hagar years. Concert-goers might forgive the gap on the current set list, but not forever.

"The fact that they're trying to pretend the last Van Halen album they did was '1984,' that's crazy," he says.

Hagar acknowledges that Roth can't sing as high as needed on Hagar compositions like "Why Can't This Be Love" and "Poundcake." Still, the band needs to figure out how to incorporate Hagar works into the show, just as it did with Roth's songs after Hagar came into the fold.

"I didn't like singing Dave's songs," Hagar says. "But I did. That's fan-friendly."

Today, Hagar makes such statements matter-of-factly, without nasty undertones of years past. When pressed to discuss Van Halen, he often sounds flatly analytical, almost like a sociologist dissecting a peculiar sub-culture:

- On the reunion tour with Van Halen in 2004-05 - one that ended with his complaints about Eddie Van Halen's alcohol problems and Hagar's declaring - "I'm done with Van Halen" - he simply says, "We found we really didn't like each other."

- On his surprise that Roth was invited back to Van Halen: "Dave wasn't just the ex-singer. He was the enemy. He was Iraq."

- On his better days with the band: "That was the pinnacle of my career. That was the pinnacle of their career. ... In fact, without Van Halen I couldn't do the things I do."

In addition to forging forward with touring and recording, Hagar has created a fledgling entertainment empire, with his Cabo Wabo resort, like-named tequila and his latest venture, Cabo Wabo Radio - an Internet site streaming (as he puts it) "feel-good rock" that includes new and old material from across the globe.

He kicked off the station Oct. 13, his 60th birthday, with a performance at his Mexican nightclub. In attendance were buddies like Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith, the latter of whom kept egging him to do birthday shots backstage before the show.

"I told him, 'I can't! I can't! I've got a show to do!'" Hagar says, laughing. "I only did two shots."

Even on a landmark birthday, Hagar insists on staying in control for his fans.

"I drink," he says. "I even party it up sometimes. I mean, I have my own tequila (brand). But I would never go on stage without being in the best shape I can be. Maybe just a shot or two, a little buzz."

Hagar says he feels better as a performer than even his youthful days with Montrose or his heyday in Van Halen. He often cringes at old concert footage.

"I can't believe I acted like that," he says. "I was insecure ... Things would come out of my mouth, mostly things about sex or getting high - I guess, things I thought people wanted to hear."

Today, he no longer tries to play the part of rock star. He just plays the part of Sammy. He likes the role.

"I'm cooler than I was when I was 30," he says with a chuckle. "I'm 60, but I'd rather be the super-cool old guy."

CVH Rulz
10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
He can't fucking shut up, can he. Good thing he is over it.

DlocRoth
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by CVH Rulz
But I would never go on stage without being in the best shape I can be.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Redballjets88
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
The second someone mentions putting van hagar in the set list the entire tour will go downhill. Imagine how pissed off Dave would be if he was asked to singer a van hagar song.

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I'LL DRINK TO THAT!:guzzle:

TVGUY
10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
"Hagar warns that the outfit cannot forever ignore the Van Hagar years. ."

Ummm.... Wanna bet?

Redballjets88
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
They can ignore it without a doubt, especially if after the tour they record a new album.

Pasadena Bunnie
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Two Words:

Jealous and BITTER.

Pasadena Bunnie
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
The second someone mentions putting van hagar in the set list the entire tour will go downhill. Imagine how pissed off Dave would be if he was asked to singer a van hagar song.

WHO the hell wants to hear a Van Hagar song?

Certainly NOT a Van Halen Audience! :mad:

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Pasadena Bunnie
Two Words:

Jealous and BITTER.

I think he's gonna be on "suicide" watch soon!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Tha SISTA SPEAKS THE GOSPEL!!! AMEN!! ALL HAIL THE BUNNIE "BABE" ! :hula:

Terry
10-25-2007, 09:42 PM
The number of people going to the current shows who actually WANT to hear a Roth-fronted Van Halen essay some Van Hagar songs has to be so miniscule that why fucking BOTHER??!!

Does Sammy think people wanted to see Roth get together with the band for so many years now in order to hear Dave sing Can't Stop Loving You?

And not for nothing, but until 2004, Hagar played the same 2 or 3 CVH tunes live every tour...and the lead vocals just didn't sound right. Not even getting into who is a "better" singer of the two here, either. Same would apply for Dave doing a Van Hagar tune.

If any fan seeing Van Halen 2007 really wants to hear a Van Hagar song, maybe Dave can do what Hagar did in 1986 when the band played Jump, and drag a fan up onstage to sing whichever desired track of hairballad queerness (that Sam Halen were SO adept at 'creating') said fan wanted to hear (Savicki, pay attention!!).

CVH (or Van Wolfie, or whatever fucking label one is comfortable calling this current incarnation) have enough tunes out of the 6 studio albums that were released in the ten-odd years they were with Roth (as opposed to Sam Halen's 4 in eleven years) to do at least two tours with a minimum (say 5 of the best-known tracks) amount of set list overlap. And if it did come down to a shortage of material down the line, I'd rather the band did some Roth solo stuff live than bother with the Van Hagar stuff (didn't ole Red Tubs get at least two solo tunes per tour into the setlist?)...or...better yet...come up with some new material. I'd rather see them make an effort at some "new originals" that didn't quite stack up next to the CVH output than hear Dave warble When Fuckin Pud Comes Walking In. Yuck.

And this even presupposes the band is gonna LAST beyond the current set of dates.

Fuckin' tubby cheesehead!!

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 09:42 PM

A-FUCKING-MEN TO THAT SISTER.........LET'S PARTY!

FORD
10-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Ozzy Osbourne never sang a Ronnie James Dio song at a Black Sabbath concert.

And those were actually GOOD songs. But why should he have to sing them?

He shouldn't. Nor should anyone expect Dave to sing Van Hagar shit.

ThrillsNSpills
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Terry
and drag a fan up onstage to sing whichever desired track of hairballad queerness (that Sam Halen were SO adept at 'creating') .

Dave wouldn't even put on a Harpo Marx wig and sing I Can't Stop loving you to a blow up doll.
(in reference to Sam's Dave imitator at his show)

and why on earth would a blues/rock dude like Dave sing Why Can't this be Love?

It's such a nonissue.
and were the Sam years the pinnacle of VH's career?

amazing

TVGUY
10-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Spammy had to sing Roth songs when he joined the group. He had to prove himself as a Van Halen frontman and also that was the only way that some VH fans would go along with the new singer.. Not to mention they were kick ass songs.. Dave has nothing to prove, has a history with the band and there's 6 albums to pull from.. It's a no brainer... No Van Hagar tunes are allowed. period.

jharp84
10-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Dave wouldn't even put on a Harpo Marx wig and sing I Can't Stop loving you to a blow up doll.
(in reference to Sam's Dave imitator at his show)

and why on earth would a blues/rock dude like Dave sing Why Can't this be Love?

It's such a nonissue.
and were the Sam years the pinnacle of VH's career?

amazing

:lol:

Diamondjimi
10-26-2007, 12:16 AM

Hagar warns that the outfit cannot forever ignore the Van Hagar years. Concert-goers might forgive the gap on the current set list, but not forever.

"The fact that they're trying to pretend the last Van Halen album they did was '1984,' that's crazy," he says.

This cocksucker needs to shut his fuckin hole.

1984 IS THE LAST FUCKING VAN HALEN ALBUM YOU WRETCHED OLD CUNT !!!

SAMMY ,GO DIE !

jharp84
10-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by diamondjimi

SAMMY ,GO DIE !

JD! This is the beggining of the end! It actually happened faster than I had ever anticipated! Death of Hagar that is!~ :p

jharp84
10-26-2007, 12:23 AM
JD??? What Am I drinkin again! DDDJJJJAAAYYY!! SORRY BRO NO SLEEP LAST 20 hrs.!

Dan
10-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by diamondjimi

SAMMY ,GO DIE !

Amen To That.

ace diamond
10-26-2007, 12:24 AM
agreed

Diamondjimi
10-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
JD! This is the beggining of the end! It actually happened faster than I had ever anticipated! Death of Hagar that is!~ :p

The end happened a few months ago , it went something like this....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dIFGW4Ms6Fo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dIFGW4Ms6Fo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

JUICE MOTHERFUCKA'S !

:D

ace diamond
10-26-2007, 12:40 AM
JD??? What Am I drinkin again! DDDJJJJAAAYYY!! SORRY BRO NO SLEEP LAST 20 hrs.!

juice........starting to sound like me.
fuckin insomnia........

BrownSound1
10-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Oh I guess it wasn't enough that Ed and Al played his shit for the past 22 years, while totally ignoring the old catalog. They sure as hell can ignore the Van Hagar stuff, and they are!! Fuck Sammy and his McDonaldland cookies.

I'll tell you what this is all about, he's pissed that Van Halen are selling out shows every night, and his last tour with the band sold a grand total of FOUR shows out. All a person has to do is listen to Ed and Dave jamming on Somebody Get Me A Doctor, or listen to Romeo Delight, and know that there is a power there that Sammy could NEVER reach. Sorry Sam, but you'll always be Dave's bitch. :D

jhale667
10-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Two Words:

Jealous and BITTER.

conmee
10-26-2007, 02:22 AM
You know, it's not the Sammy catalog that will doom this tour, but the Cherone years... I mean, if we don't hear Josephina or How Many Say I, I firmly believe fans will turn away in droves... Fire In The Hole is the only thing that will save them long term....maybe throw in Up For Breakfast to appease the Hagar faithful... but that's it.

lmao

That is all.

Icon.

bueno bob
10-26-2007, 02:42 AM
I think he's gonna be on "suicide" watch soon!

I'll watch.

jharp84
10-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by conmee
You know, it's not the Sammy catalog that will doom this tour, but the Cherone years... I mean, if we don't hear Josephina or How Many Say I, I firmly believe fans will turn away in droves... Fire In The Hole is the only thing that will save them long term....maybe throw in Up For Breakfast to appease the Hagar faithful... but that's it.

lmao

That is all.

Icon.

LMFAO! :D We saw Cherone tour!@ MY homeboy had the best line! Fuckin Eddie is playin "how many say I"for the encore and he shouts out " Stick to your DAY JOB"!! :D

Panamark
10-26-2007, 02:54 AM
WOW !!

Sammy bitching about Van Halen's success without him !!

Who would have guessed it ???

ELVIS
10-26-2007, 02:57 AM

"I'm cooler than I was when I was 30," he says with a chuckle."

I suppose that's true...

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp000/p052/p05213si9x7.jpghttp://www.annecarlini.com/images/exclusive/concerts/C-SammyH2.jpg

LMAO!

:elvis:

jharp84
10-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
WOW !!

Sammy bitching about Van Halen's success without him !!

Who would have guessed it ???

Sammy does not know how bad(worse,trajic, etc. etc.) it's going to get for him as this get's any further! He be dead now! Even ripped off a "def leppard riff for his new tune! :o

Panamark
10-26-2007, 03:17 AM
Sammy does not know how bad(worse,trajic, etc. etc.) it's going to get for him as this get's any further! He be dead now! Even ripped off a "def leppard riff for his new tune! :o

Stay tuned ! ;)

BALLYJUNKIE
10-26-2007, 06:25 AM
as i have said in previous post ,that fact that everytime sammy has something to say its posted on this board by someone ..... who gives a SHIT ,what sammy says, does or thinks ,hes not worth our time anymore ......cvh is back and thats all that matters ...... im starting to think there might be some closet sammy fans are here ,there is to many sammy post on here .......ENOUGH ,LETS MOVE ON !!!

naturochem
10-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
as i have said in previous post ,that fact that everytime sammy has something to say its posted on this board by someone ..... who gives a SHIT ,what sammy says, does or thinks ,hes not worth our time anymore ......cvh is back and thats all that matters ...... im starting to think there might be some closet sammy fans are here ,there is to many sammy post on here .......ENOUGH ,LETS MOVE ON !!!
Perhaps there are some lurkers here that are still on the fence? As delusion as you may be, there are obviously also at least some "closet" Spammy assmunchers reading threads here! What the fuck is wrong with reminding these fucks what a douchebag that fat little prick is?? How many Spam fucks have already converted to the dark side?? There also may be additional relevance in the information for some individuals... -don't like the fuckin content, don't fuckin read it, Opie!!!

btw - glad ya finally figured out the location of the fuckin CAPS LOCK button....
-now you can focus on grammar & spelling...

naturochem
10-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Now that I got that off my chest, flush this fucker at will !!!:fucku2:

Shaun Ponsonby
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Ozzy never sings Dio
Gillan never sings Coverdale
Halford never sings Ripper

Why should Dave sing Haggis?

MUSICMANN
10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I got perma banned at the fuck links for saying, first Spammy is a douche, and second, i wish that Dave and Ed would go back and redo every song that fat bastard has ever recorded with the band except for the love fest crappy ones that he's so good for. I Could see Dave comeing up with some exceptional lyrics and new melody's. So when or if they ever release new material, they could rerelease those four albums as well. I think that would pretty much hit home for that fat bastard and make him understand just how important he really was in the circle when it comes to the world of VH. Ona fianl note, Brett at the links can suck my cock, he's a bigger douche than his fuckbuddy Spammy.

Vinnie Velvet
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
More Hagar nonsense.

Take this shit to the Dump.

Figs
10-26-2007, 09:41 AM
What a cunt!

1) I remember reading way back then that Van Hagar's original plan was to eventually phase out the Roth-era material from their concerts. So, in other words, they wanted to eventually pretend 5150 was their first album.

2) Could you imagine ticket sales in 2004 if they only played Hagar shit? Fan-friendly my ass, it was an economic necessity for Sam to sing Dave's songs.

3) They are being fan-friendly, honestly, how many people buying tickets to see Dave back with the band are thinking, "boy it would be cool if they played some of that Hagar shit." (maybe a handful, admittedly one of the guys I'm going with likes both singers)

Vinnie Velvet
10-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ozzy never sings Dio

That type of logic Sam just can't understand.

dave_is_vh
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Sammy is just jealous of Dave because Sammy was forced to do Dave songs against his will and Dave will never have to do a Sammy song as long as he lives. That hits Sammy right where it hurts.

Any of the one or two Van Hagar fans that want to hear Van Halen play Van Hagar don't deserve the right to be Van Halen fans.

Hagar says the Hagar years were the pinnacle of Van Halen. That is kind of like saying the Blaze Bayley years were the pinnacle of Iron Maiden.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh

Any of the one or two Van Hagar fans that to hear Van Halen play Van Hagar don't deserve the right to be Van Halen fans.

Wait...wait...wait...

There's TWO Van Hagar fans?

When did this happen?

dave_is_vh
10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
It is also interesting how Sammy compares Dave to Iraq. I thought that was a particularly classless comment - even considering the source.

dave_is_vh
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
When idiots like Sammy point out that Van Hagar had more #1 albums than Van Halen he does not realize that if it wasn't for Dave taking Van Halen from nothing to superstardom no one would have bought the Van Hagar albums. Van Hagar essentially rode the coattails of Van Halen to success. If wasn't for Dave, Sammy would be working at Burger King in Monterrey.

TVGUY
10-26-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGPORTRAITS/music/portrait200/drp000/p052/p05213si9x7.jpghttp://www.annecarlini.com/images/exclusive/concerts/C-SammyH2.jpg

Yes.. I'll have a Big Mac.. some fries and a drink...
Oh sorry.. I get you guy mixed up all the time.
No offense Mayor McCheese!!

thome
10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Sammy playing it cool at 60

Red Rocker hits Bloomington with ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony

Thursday, October 25, 2007

By Phil Luciano
of the Journal Star

Sammy Hagar gushes over U2, but not like most fans of the Irish band.

Sure, he likes the music. But more so he appreciates how U2 has been able to remain at the top of its game for such a long time.

"They're my favorite band," says Hagar, who plays Saturday at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington. "All the drugs, divorces and whatever, they've hung in there, hung together. They know when to take time off, but they stay together."

"I'm cooler than I was when I was 30," he says with a chuckle. "I'm 60, but I'd rather be the super-cool old guy."

Gushes..... then Dimes them out like a stoolie bitch in the joint.

WHO IS THIS MF!

DLR'sCock
10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
The lengths that Spambo goes to are believable.

He just can't shut up abotu this tour, can he?

Ed, Al, and Dave are keeping quiet, kicking ass, and takign names every night of the tour!

Devil's Advocate: Dickinson would do Blaze songs, and Halford has done Ripper Owens tunes as well.

I know, I know this is totally different, and don't get me wrong I don't want to hear any cheese.

DLR'sCock
10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Ozzy never sings Dio

I am pretty sure that Halford has sung Ripper.

ThrillsNSpills
10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Hagar warns that the outfit cannot forever ignore the Van Hagar years. Concert-goers might forgive the gap on the current set list, but not forever.

thems is sum sour grapes right there.
the van hagar years would do nicely on the Disney channel.
After Little Guitars and I'm the One, nobody's thinking about why cant this be love walkin in.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
I am pretty sure that Halford has sung Ripper.

Nope.

He never even listened to the albums.

MmboSlmrCasalad
10-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Fuck him, fuck him, fuck him! Oh yeah, one more thing: FUCK HIM!!

DLR'sCock
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Nope.

He never even listened to the albums.

You know I am trying to find a setlist, I am now not sure about this.

I think what I am recalling is that when Halford rejoined he had a lot of praise for Ripper and even mentioned he wouldn't oppose a song or two, but perhaps that hasn't happened.

I know for certain that Dickinson has sung Blaze era Iron Maiden material though.

On the Ed Hunter tour they did Futureal, The Clansman, and Man on the Edge, and I have heard them perform The Clansman many times on other tours since(I fucking love MAIDEN!!), but you may be correct about Halford.

Of coruse Van Hagar has no place in a Van HALEN set list!

ace diamond
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
That type of logic Sam just can't understand.

:lol:

ace diamond
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Sammy is just jealous of Dave because Sammy was forced to do Dave songs against his will and Dave will never have to do a Sammy song as long as he lives. That hits Sammy right where it hurts.

Any of the one or two Van Hagar fans that want to hear Van Halen play Van Hagar don't deserve the right to be Van Halen fans.

Hagar says the Hagar years were the pinnacle of Van Halen. That is kind of like saying the Blaze Bayley years were the pinnacle of Iron Maiden.

somebody get this man a 5th of jack and a fat 20 sack, pronoto!

ELVIS
10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
*flush*

bueno bob
10-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Thank you.

Dan
10-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Cutting Wood For The Fire As I Speak.:)

Jurak
10-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll bring the gasoline.......... :D

VanHalener
10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Here you go
http://i2.tinypic.com/2w1uweg.jpg

Wawazat
11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Flammenwerfer !

binnie
11-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Being a Sammy fan must involve some serious self-delusion....

Shaun Ponsonby
11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
...and man-love...

binnie
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I think the latter would be the more unpleasant of the two....