PDA

View Full Version : Slash one of the greatest guitarists of all time?

Hummarstra
10-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Is this bullshit or what?

"Saul Hudson (born July 23, 1965), more widely known as Slash, is an English-American[1] guitarist best known as the former lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses and as the current lead guitarist of Velvet Revolver. Known for wearing an accentuated top hat, he is regarded by some as one of the greatest guitarists of all time."

He can't even play the ATBL riff.:rolleyes:

Eddie's Booze
10-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
Is this bullshit or what?

"Saul Hudson (born July 23, 1965), more widely known as Slash, is an English-American[1] guitarist best known as the former lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses and as the current lead guitarist of Velvet Revolver. Known for wearing an accentuated top hat, he is regarded by some as one of the greatest guitarists of all time."

He can't even play the ATBL riff.:rolleyes:

He's a hack.....plain and simple.

:rolleyes:

Shaun Ponsonby
10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
He's good at what he does.

And considering he doesn't do Van Halen for a living, the HOF performance should be discredited as evidence.

I don't see any Queen fans hating the majority of the people who performed at the Freddie Mercury Tribute because they couldn't do justice to Queen songs...and I don't plan on hating Slash because he didn't do justice to someone else's song when his heart was in the right place (forgive me for using a possible Hagar lyric there)...ie...paying tribute to CVH.

Let's be fair...he has to be the last real rock/guitar icon to come through.

Anonymous
10-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Let's be fair...he has to be the last real rock/guitar icon to come through.

This is true... hey, Slash is really good at what he does.

So he can't play like Eddie. Most singers can't sing like Bruce Dickinson. Are they all hacks?

Cheers! :bottle:

Terry
10-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't really put Slash up there with my all-time faves...don't really know many who would...think with Slash half of the buzz when GnR first hit big was many said "look, here's a guy who DOESN'T have a Charvel or Jackson guitar, isn't using both hands on the fretboard, isn't banging a whammy bar to death, isn't using speed for the sake of speed, isn't throwing everything and the kitchen sink into every solo to prove to everyone what a bitchin' technician he is"...

Considering when and where GnR broke out from, it took a degree of individuality for Slash to play what he wanted to play, rather than come off like just another EVH clone (of which there were WAY too many by the mid and late 1980s).

Diamondjimi
10-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Terry
I wouldn't really put Slash up there with my all-time faves...don't really know many who would...think with Slash half of the buzz when GnR first hit big was many said "look, here's a guy who DOESN'T have a Charvel or Jackson guitar, isn't using both hands on the fretboard, isn't banging a whammy bar to death, isn't using speed for the sake of speed, isn't throwing everything and the kitchen sink into every solo to prove to everyone what a bitchin' technician he is"...

Considering when and where GnR broke out from, it took a degree of individuality for Slash to play what he wanted to play, rather than come off like just another EVH clone (of which there were WAY too many by the mid and late 1980s).

Good post.

He's a good player who's good at what he does. All time greatest? Uh ,nope!

Hummarstra
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
OK. I was too harsh on Slash. Actually I love his playing on Appetite which we all know is one of the greatest rock records ever. I do I love Slash. But "one of the greatest of all time?" Absolutely not. That's nonsense.

If that statement was about GNR as a whole, I would agree.

Nickdfresh
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5gQNRFggvM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5gQNRFggvM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DlocRoth
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
lmao

binnie
10-29-2007, 04:53 AM
I suppose it depends on what you definition of "greatest" is: if it's purely technique, speed and flamboyance, then nope Slash isn;t even close.

But I'm sure that Steve Vai could play circles around Jimi Hendrix, but does that make him a "greater" guitar player? Nope.

I think of Slash in the same way I think of Angus Young: as well as writing great riffs, they both BELT out solo's that generally take a song up a notch and are memorable as well as having a start-middle and end. There's feel, drama and groove there. And in that sense they are both exceptional rock guitar players, like Jimmy Page, Joe Perry etc etc.

Mr Badguy
10-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
he is regarded by some as one of the greatest guitarists of all time."

I don`t see the problem with that statement.

He IS regarded by SOME as one of the greatest.

Maybe not me, but some do.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I suppose it depends on what you definition of "greatest" is: if it's purely technique, speed and flamboyance, then nope Slash isn;t even close.

But I'm sure that Steve Vai could play circles around Jimi Hendrix, but does that make him a "greater" guitar player? Nope.

I think of Slash in the same way I think of Angus Young: as well as writing great riffs, they both BELT out solo's that generally take a song up a notch and are memorable as well as having a start-middle and end. There's feel, drama and groove there. And in that sense they are both exceptional rock guitar players, like Jimmy Page, Joe Perry etc etc.

If I said it any better I would win a nobel prize

binnie
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
If I said it any better I would win a nobel prize

:D

jhale667
10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Highly overrated, IMO. ;)

Atomic_Rob
10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
The latest VR LP Libertad rocks like bloody fuck.

His current playing is fine by me!

rustoffa
10-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Maybe not one of the greatest of all time, but a damn good guitar player. Like others have said, he brought back the Les Paul crunch when nobody wanted it. Fuck, if Rick Nielsen lets you play his guitar? You've got talent! (see Cheap Trick's "Silver" DVD)

His Les Paul signature model is pretty fucking weird though. It's got this fucked up tailpiece that tries to act like an acoustic pickup. (cuntplete with mini three-way toggle)

Lotsa fucking routing on that plank.

The solo on "Estranged" is remarkable.

naturochem
10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Maybe not one of the greatest of all time, but a damn good guitar player. Like others have said, he brought back the Les Paul crunch when nobody wanted it. Fuck, if Rick Nielsen lets you play his guitar? You've got talent! (see Cheap Trick's "Silver" DVD)

His Les Paul signature model is pretty fucking weird though. It's got this fucked up tailpiece that tries to act like an acoustic pickup. (cuntplete with mini three-way toggle)

Lotsa fucking routing on that plank.
It has a Fishman powerbridge (inc a piezo pickup..), which has saddle transducers that sense acoustic vibrations on the body, hence replicating an acoustic sound fairly closely.. I actually thought Gibson did a pretty good job -- the axe looked fairly stock to me(?)

Although I do like much of Slash's playing, & he's come up with some world-class licks, Saul belongs on the "greatest" list about as much as Ace Frehley....

binnie
10-30-2007, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
The latest VR LP Libertad rocks like bloody fuck.

His current playing is fine by me!

My sentiments entirely. It is a fantastic album.

Mr Badguy
10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by naturochem
Although I do like much of Slash's playing, & he's come up with some world-class licks, Saul belongs on the "greatest" list about as much as Ace Frehley....

I dunno.

Ace made a lot of people want to play a guitar and, in my book, that makes him great.

VanHalener
10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Dunno about one of the greatest, but he's was an incredible ass kicker for a while there. What he's doing with that flake of a lead singer now, I'll never know.
He's one you will not forget, that's for sure.

He did have the best Volkswagen commercial
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aqv9Z6W4nCY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aqv9Z6W4nCY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

MAPRamone
10-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Rustoffa, grate avatar! Bruce Campbell fucking rocks. Which 'Evil Dead' is that from?

Terry
10-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I dunno.

Ace made a lot of people want to play a guitar and, in my book, that makes him great.

Ace rocks. Ace made we wanna pick up the guitar, although Ed was one of a dozen axe slingers who made me wanna play it.

Vanessa
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
:rolleyes:

naturochem
10-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Ace rocks. Ace made we wanna pick up the guitar, although Ed was one of a dozen axe slingers who made me wanna play it.
Ace: certainly an historically significant guitarist, with additional sentimental value for many.... but the guy couldn't play his way out of a long-haired lynching....

Similar to today's Michael Schenker (see CLIP in this post...) (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1262827#post1262827)

..well, maybe not that bad!:eek:

jharp84
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Slash=good Fuckin timing! Right!
Ace=good Fuckin timing! Right!
Michael Schenker= GRATE! currently FUCKED UP! But what a PAST!

Eyes of the Night
10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I would put Slash in my top 5 ... nuff said ...

rustoffa
10-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Is Slash bald?
:confused:

binnie
10-31-2007, 04:37 AM
Nope, he has a full head of hair....

naturochem
10-31-2007, 05:08 AM
I dunno.

The Monkees also made a lot of people want to play the guitar...
so do they belong on the "greatest band" list?

Nitro Express
10-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Ace Frehley is who made me want to play guitar. I was into KISS way before I even knew who Van Halen were.

Ace's licks still hold up today. I remember I was in the tire shop and somebody in the shop was blasting some old KISS songs. I got goose bumps from those old guitar riffs.

Mr Badguy
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I know Ace doesn`t do much scales wise or technically but he uses what he`s got.

Half the solo in "Deuce" is him just bending one note.

He`s a very tasteful...erm...bender.

naturochem
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Ace Frehley is who made me want to play guitar. I was into KISS way before I even knew who Van Halen were.

Ace's licks still hold up today. I remember I was in the tire shop and somebody in the shop was blasting some old KISS songs. I got goose bumps from those old guitar riffs.
I'm with ya dude, I felt the same way about Page. I remember reading an article right after VH1 was relaeased saying Ed wasn't impressed by Page's playing... I thought "what a dick"!

Then I saw VH open for Sabbath in '78.... That night, the guitar took on an entire new meaning for me.

Page & Ace have assured themselves a presence in guitar history, but even both taken together couldn't match the impact that little Dutch fuck had on the 6-string....

ODShowtime
10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
My man was busting out big fat Les Paul solos all night long about 10 feet from me two weeks ago. He's on the long list of greats, and the short list of people who can currently kick ass.

Motherfucker was laying down the law.

binnie
11-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
My man was busting out big fat Les Paul solos all night long about 10 feet from me two weeks ago. He's on the long list of greats, and the short list of people who can currently kick ass.

Motherfucker was laying down the law.

I had a very similar experience when I saw VR: it is interesting that live he plays far more complex solos than he does on the record....

ODShowtime
11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
the sounds was great too so it was really clear

Shaun Ponsonby
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I had a very similar experience when I saw VR: it is interesting that live he plays far more complex solos than he does on the record....

YES...he must just "feel it" live...

cdwillis
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
While he played some awesome riffs & solos on the GnR stuff, he didn't write the songs. That was almost entirely Axl and Izzy. Slash is the last of a dying breed it seems. I still give him props. Not in my top 5 but I like him more than a lot of players.

Terry
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by naturochem
The Monkees also made a lot of people want to play the guitar...
so do they belong on the "greatest band" list?

First song I ever bought was an old 45 of Last Train To Clarksville, so if you're looking for me to agree that the Monkees were shite, well, can't oblige you on that count...

Seems some just have a problem believing that Ace was the reason people of a certain age wanted to pick up the instrument, back when Eddie Van Halen was the greatest guitarist that nobody outside of Southern California had ever heard of.

;)

naturochem
11-11-2007, 10:56 PM
First song I ever bought was an old 45 of Last Train To Clarksville, so if you're looking for me to agree that the Monkees were shite, well, can't oblige you on that count...

Seems some just have a problem believing that Ace was the reason people of a certain age wanted to pick up the instrument, back when Eddie Van Halen was the greatest guitarist that nobody outside of Southern California had ever heard of.

;)
No problem at all believing that here... in fact, I believe I stated my opinion that Ace is/was certainly an historically significant guitarist. I'll go one further & say he even had a place in altering Rock & Roll history.

I only saw Kiss live twice -- was far more into Zeppelin than Kiss at the time -- and both times I was most disappointed in Ace's playing.

I had a number of friends at the time who thought Ace was the fuckin Messiah & there are also a number of pro musicians who list him as a top guitar idol.

Personally, I just never felt that way... :confused:

Terry
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Dig what you're saying.

I mean, once I started actually playing, I wanted to play like EVH, but Ace always gets a nod of the hat for making me even wanna pick it up in the first place.

Nitro Express
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I know Ace doesn`t do much scales wise or technically but he uses what he`s got.

Half the solo in "Deuce" is him just bending one note.

He`s a very tasteful...erm...bender.

Some people can do more with one note than some can do with a thousand. It's called song writing. Ace could write a better song than some of these shred monsters.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Some people can do more with one note than some can do with a thousand. It's called song writing. Ace could write a better song than some of these shred monsters.

*cough*

Panamark
11-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Are you guys getting that Guitar Hero 3 ads on TV with Slash ??

naturochem
11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Are you guys getting that Guitar Hero 3 ads on TV with Slash ??
Yeah, he was also on David Letterman the other night plugging his book & Guitar Hero 3... Actually one of the best interviews I've seen w/ him in quite awhile... talked about drinking, Axl, his family, fucking up hotels & (of course..) how addicting G.H.3 is!!! He also said that being a guitar player actually works against playing the game competently....

Panamark
11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah !

I tried that game when I was drunk, thinking I would
nail it.. (I didnt) I think its cool what the concept is
promoting, but it sucks in another way as dudes
probably (wrongfully) think that if they can master
that game, they will be able to easily play guitar..

Would be good to have a video game like that, that
did actually teach you to play at the same time.

But hey, I guess its better than Snoopy Poopy Doggy's
busta move hip my hop along ver 3 ! :D

binnie
11-13-2007, 04:12 AM
His book is supposed to be a great read....

Shaun Ponsonby
11-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I heard that too...must pick it up.

Matt White
11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
SLASH kicks ass......

jslav06
11-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Slash is a great guitarist. I mean he's on Guitar Hero 3 and Wikipedia says he's great so it's a fact.... ahem.

In my honest opinion, there are loads of better guitar players out there who go above and beyond with the instrument, Jeff Beck for example. And badass-wise, Kerry King would impale Slash with his dick of fire in a guitar battle.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Yes...there are better guitarists...didn't you read through the thread first?

It completely depends on what EXACTLY your judging them on, though...somebody like, say, Steve Vai may be able to play more complex shit...but then a lot of the time Vai's solos don't suit the song (listen to "Big Trouble" on EEAS...I think his solo is so out of place it almost ruins the song), wheras Slash's solos tend to suit the song perfectly.

Coyote
11-18-2007, 11:11 AM
(listen to "Big Trouble" on EEAS...I think his solo is so out of place it almost ruins the song)

A couple of bits of it does sound like he almost screwed up.

But then again, it might be correct in a way, music theory-wise.
(The guy did attend Berklee...)

Bill Lumbergh
11-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Always been a huge Slash fan.....for the same reasons I'm a huge Ace Frehley fan....they have a limited bag of tricks, but man, like John Lennon once said, they can make it "howl and move"....

binnie
11-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Always been a huge Slash fan.....for the same reasons I'm a huge Ace Frehley fan....they have a limited bag of tricks, but man, like John Lennon once said, they can make it "howl and move"....

Bang on the money.

Eyes of the Night
11-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Slash was hellarious on Letterman last week! ... told stories of the infamous hotel thrasings ... niiice

jslav06
11-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Yes...there are better guitarists...didn't you read through the thread first?

It completely depends on what EXACTLY your judging them on, though...somebody like, say, Steve Vai may be able to play more complex shit...but then a lot of the time Vai's solos don't suit the song (listen to "Big Trouble" on EEAS...I think his solo is so out of place it almost ruins the song), wheras Slash's solos tend to suit the song perfectly.

Yeah I know, I read the thread. It was asking whether or not Slash was the greatest guitarist of all time. I am a big Slash fan don't get me wrong. I was just saying that it's tough to determine a best guitarist. It depends on what factors you're looking for in a BEST guitarist. There aren't too many numbers to look at for guitarist statistics. It's all opinion based. Sorry if I stated the blatantly obvious.

ELVIS
11-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Took me about five minutes to realize that's Mitch Mitchell on drums...

Pretty awful everything until it gets towards the end...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3Mm3WPw2Xs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3Mm3WPw2Xs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:elvis:

Steve Savicki
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Define great. Or better yet, stay away from Wikipedia where anyone can type and edit anything.

I've found deleted/obscure material I prefer to listen to over Slash.

scottydabodi
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not a Slash fan by any stretch of the imagination, but you gotta give him credit: He has written a TON of classic solos("Sweet Child...", "Welcome to the Jungle", even "Slither" is unbelievably memorable), and does solos today when it's totally uncool to do so. I've never seen him live, nor really care to do so. I've seen vids where he plays well, and looks cool, so I guess that's it huh?

As for being a GREAT player, well, Jeff Beck, EVH(78-84), Vai, Scott Henderson are GREAT. Slash can't play like they do, but he is still a pretty good rock guitarist, and why would he want to be anything other?.....

gamaradiation2
12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
slash is my favorite guitarist, but i think its more that i was too young to see all of the other great guitarists in their prime but he has what i look for in a great guitarist. while he has strayed and tried different things in his career, hes always been just a rock n roller deep down and he continues to put out the terrific solos. he is also much better live than on any of his albums. his book is also a great read, very long, very detailed on everything. i highly reccomend it if your into gnr or vr.

DLRdelight!
12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
he is a good player but i just despise the guy. never really liked gnr and dont like slash at all.

Redballjets88
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
he is more image than talent.

Matt White
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
GNR could have been the new Rolling Stones....

Appetite is BRILLIANT.....

binnie
12-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

I agree. They were a fucking incredible band, but egos fucked it all up. Damn shame really....

Anyone who has caught Slash live knows that he can fuckin' play, even when he's hammered, lol....

Shaun Ponsonby
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Shame they blew it with orchestras and 10 minute songs about what the weather was like at Axl's wedding in November.

binnie
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Shame they blew it with orchestras and 10 minute songs about what the weather was like at Axl's wedding in November.

Yeah, but every band has pompous moments. Estranged, however, was a great song...

Shaun Ponsonby
12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Pompous I have no problem with...I'm a Queen fan, I'm a Yes fan, I'm an ELP fan.

It's just disappointing after a great, dirty, in your face, "I'll fuck you and your mother" rock n roll debut album.

Who'd have thought THATS what they'd end up doing?