PDA

View Full Version : Quitting soda

Terry
10-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Am on day 10 of quitting soda, cold turkey. From a 6-pack plus a day to zero overnight.
Am, in turns, dragging ass/supercharged/have trouble falling asleep for more than 4 hours at a time (but those four hours find me crashing HARD)...mostly quit because of all the bone grafting I've undergone with my teeth over the past 8 weeks (it literally hurts to drink the stuff now), but also because I was feeling nauseous from being on a constant caffeine high all day long...plus, my teeth were whitened while undergoing the grafts, and I want to keep 'em that way (they were really getting to be a dark shade of yellow).
Have been drinking nothing but water and milk for the last ten days, and feel like I wanna jump right outta my fucking skin; I weep when I'm happy, curl up like a fetus in the shower while sucking my thumb and want to punch every dumb fucker I encounter these days (there's just not enough enough cartilage in my digits to withstand the after- effects of pulverizing all the dipshits in my life that could use a good, swift punch in the chompers).
I don't drink coffee, and want to stay off liquid caffeine in any form...
Anyone got any advice? Should I just stop being such a puss about it and tough it out, or what?
Help me, Jesus!!

Diet Coke --->:gulp: <-----me +:smoke: = :D

FORD
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Am on day 10 of quitting soda, cold turkey. From a 6-pack plus a day to zero overnight.
Am, in turns, dragging ass/supercharged/have trouble falling asleep for more than 4 hours at a time (but those four hours find me crashing HARD)...mostly quit because of all the bone grafting I've undergone with my teeth over the past 8 weeks (it literally hurts to drink the stuff now), but also because I was feeling nauseous from being on a constant caffeine high all day long...plus, my teeth were whitened while undergoing the grafts, and I want to keep 'em that way (they were really getting to be a dark shade of yellow).
Have been drinking nothing but water and milk for the last ten days, and feel like I wanna jump right outta my fucking skin; I weep when I'm happy, curl up like a fetus in the shower while sucking my thumb and want to punch every dumb fucker I encounter these days (there's just not enough enough cartilage in my digits to withstand the after- effects of pulverizing all the dipshits in my life that could use a good, swift punch in the chompers).
I don't drink coffee, and want to stay off liquid caffeine in any form...
Anyone got any advice? Should I just stop being such a puss about it and tough it out, or what?
Help me, Jesus!!

Diet Coke --->:gulp: <-----me +:smoke: = :D

If being totally without caffeine is making you miserable, I'd suggest trying green tea.

The caffeine is minimal, so it shouldn't hurt your attempts to sleep, but it should take the edge off the withdrawals. If it was Diet Coke you were drinking, it could be the artificial sweeteners you were addicted to, as well as the caffeine.

Plus, green tea is actually good for you.

But if you want to stay cold turkey, I'd say after 10 days, you're pretty close to being over the hard part.

And this is from someone who used to go through a case of Coke in an average weekend (and that's only in the daytime, because I was drinking beer at night)

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

Anyone got any advice?

Cocaine.

It's much better for you than high fructose corn sweeteners.

I'm here to help, T. :cool:

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 06:08 PM
On a serious note....

I was recently on an extended trip across the country, and couldnt make my favorite iced vanilla coffes like I've done at home for years...

So I got hooked on Red Bull.

Glad to be home, but I'm still drinking one of those damn things every morning....

Hate them, but I'm hooked.

As for Coca-Cola, if it's not swimming in Jack Daniels it's just a waste of ice.

chi-town324
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
did someone say Jager bombs?

ace diamond
10-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324

count me in

Nitro Express
10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I started with Red Bull but now I'm up to three 42 Oz can's of Rock Star a day. A half fifth of Jack Daniel's helps me go to sleep at night.

Ally_Kat
10-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I've had all those same feelings a few months ago when I had to switch to a caffeine-free life for medical reasons, which was like hell for me because caffeine was my drug of choice (and you're talking to the girl who was so wired she couldn't find any power drink she didn't have to drink 3-5 of to get her rush). One thing that worked for me was apples. Lots and lots of apples. They're also a great way for a pick-me up in the mornings when you feel you need coffee and also help keep your teeth white and clean.

I'll sometimes have low-caffeine teas (in moderation, it's fine for me, kinda like how Ford was saying green tea won't affect you), but try to stick to the ones without. There's a whole tasty variety to try.

Then there are these little pouches for the bottles of water that I use. There's actually a whole slew of them. Some of them just make the water into flavored water (still clear) and others turn it into instant iced green tea or some fruit juice. I love them cuz sometimes I get bored drinking water all the damn time. That and I permit myself to have some Sierra Mist every now and then.

Mug is caffeine free, so is ginger ale. I find it easier to find Pepsi and Diet Pepsi in caffeine free by me than I can the Coke stuff, but maybe it's different down south. For all other drinks, the label will say if it is caffeine free.

As far as what you're feeling, the mood swings will go away soon. The sleeping thing I'm still having issues with (I'm on month three). There are nights where I fall asleep around 7, sometimes at midnight. I'm becoming more regulated, though. Not nearly as bad as it was when I started. I remember staying up for 3 days straight. Not fun.

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I started with Red Bull but now I'm up to three 42 Oz can's of Rock Star a day. A half fifth of Jack Daniel's helps me go to sleep at night.

Sounds like middle America's version of a speedball ;)

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by ace diamond
count me in

You guys really need to hop in your Camaro, go pick up Jharp, hit the liquor store, and then go rent a room together.

Just get it over with already.

Take turns. Film the whole thing.

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Am

I weep when I'm happy, curl up like a fetus in the shower while sucking my thumb and want to punch every dumb fucker I encounter these days

Congratulations, bro...

You've just been made an honorary Seattle Sports Fan.

Ozzy Fudd
My brother quit drinkin PEPSI and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks

Ozzy Fudd
My brother quit drinkin PEPSI and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks
WTF a dubble post from the fuckin VOID why cant i delete this one....?:rolleyes: :confused:

jharp84
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
You guys really need to hop in your Camaro, go pick up Jharp, hit the liquor store, and then go rent a room together.

Why ya fuckin w/me Jackson?? :( I never started this shit! VANILLA COFFEE!! WTF????:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
ICED, vanilla coffee, bitch. ;)

jharp84
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
You Jealous Fuckin Mod you!

chi-town324
10-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Congratulations, bro...

:gulp: now thats funny!..where the hell is Lenny Wilkins?

chi-town324
10-31-2007, 09:41 PM
ICED, vanilla coffee, bitch. ;)

:gulp: kissed with honey no less!

jharp84
10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
ALRIIGGGHHHTT! Before this get's "out of line" !
1) I respect Terry too much to fuck around on this post!
2) I am here on this site to have fun, talk VH, some other shit and so on....
3) I enjoy the people I meet here on the site! Have made many new friends lately! Cool people!
4) Yes - I drink too much currently! My problem!
5) Lounge--- U a bitter mothafucka! I also am bitter about alot of things! I tried.. U know to go out of my way!
6) I know this shit looks stupid! It is a release for some! It is our way of talkin! Don't like it! Don't read it! WTF!!
7) I drink flavored coffee as well! Iced or SCALDING! Can't win em all! So take your last post and shove it til' it comes out your fuckin ears! DUDE!!

chi-town324
10-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Juice on the loose!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Congratulations, bro...

Don't even TALK to me about the Seahawks.

Have followed them for years, hoping those doomed fuckers would pull it out at the SB a few years ago - the letdown from that was just devastating (the odd part of it being I generally could give two shits about professional sports on a day-to-day basis).

After that SB loss, it was time to say goodbye and cut those Seahawk bastards loose. Being a fan after that was too much pain to bother contemplating.

Ally_Kat
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jharp84

But what is he jealous of?

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 11:43 PM

:confused:

Busted.

I too wish I was cool enough to have alcohol chat parties with my male cyber-friends while trying to drunkenly pick up chicks on a Rock and Roll fan site....

:rolleyes:

Ya got me.

*sorry terry, i just couldnt let this one pass*

Back to terry curled up in a fetal position in his shower kicking the devil caffeine. ;)

LoungeMachine
10-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
But what is he jealous of?

He's the one who's jealous.

He's one of the few on here who hasn't slept with you yet...

jharp84
10-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Terry- your bad ass! So Glad to have got to known you via this site! I will have pleasure sending you the 2007 cd's and dvd's of the new tour as my "house warming" gift to ya ! You deserve more than most brother! JUICE!

Ally_Kat
11-01-2007, 12:06 AM
He's the one who's jealous.

He's one of the few on here who hasn't slept with you yet...

You're askin for an ass kickin' :p

naturochem
11-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Perhaps someone (ain't mentioning any names here..) can get you some type of legal Methamphetamine analogue??

I all seriousness, the best way to quit caffeine is by gradually reducing your intake while you rebuild your natural energy supply.

Products that can help include green tea and/or herbal coffee. Like herbal tea that is caffeine-free and made from herbs that are brewed like tea, caffeine-free herbal coffee is made from herbs, grains, fruits and nuts that have been roasted, ground and brewed just like coffee. Herbal coffee is high in potassium, an electrolyte mineral that stimulates nerve impulses, helps oxygenate the brain, lowers blood pressure and enhances athletic performance. Herbal coffee helps you rebuild your own natural energy supply by nutritionally supporting your body's energy production. No more drug induced jolts that leave you with an energy crash a few hours later!

The excess coffee/caffeine consumer has grown to require an energy lift. Does caffeine deliver an energy lift? To answer that, you have to define what is energy and what isn't. Food delivers energy. It supplies calories in the form of carbohydrates, protein and fat which, when metabolized, give the body glucose, vitamins and minerals that feed the brain and the muscles. Without real metabolic energy, your body can't perform. But what does caffeine/coffee supply? They don't contain any nutrients so they don't feed the brain and muscles. In fact, they don't supply energy at all. They give you stress. Caffeine is a drug that stimulates the adrenal glands to produce the classic "fight or flight" syndrome. Epinephrine, norepinephrine and cortisol are released by the adrenals into the blood stream to shut down any ancillary systems that require energy, like digestion and immune protection, so that all the body's energy can be channeled into survival. This is great for a few minutes in a UFC cage, but what happens when your body's kept in this emergency state all day?

The adrenal glands are like a bank account. The answer to how long you can continue to make repeated withdrawals against your reservoir of good health and longevity depends on your genetic inheritance and other lifestyle habits. But you can be sure of one thing.

Caffeine depletes energy, it doesn't supply!

Nitro Express
11-01-2007, 03:12 AM
There's a time and place for caffine. I was starting a new branch of a german company here in the US and I had to talk with people here in the Mountain Time Zone mostly and Central Time Zone in Germany.

I was crashing at 6 AM and then some motherfucker here calls me at 8 AM and then I'm up and can't go to sleep. I finally get some crash time after 5pm but the wife and kids are going all you do is sleep.

Nobody gets it. My brother in law who is an over seas pilot gets it but my sister thinks he's goofing off when he comes home jetlagged after flying around Asia for two weeks.

Coffee was ok but I went straight to the hardcore energy drinks. I guess stupid people take the meth route but how dumb do you have to be?

Human beings need to live on a schedual. You need to go to be and get up at a certain time or it starts to really hammer you. I don't know why we don't get it. Our dog is in her doggie bed an 9:00p and up and going by 7:00a. Dogs have more sense than we do.

MAX
11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by FORD

And this is from someone who used to go through a case of Coke in an average weekend (and that's only in the daytime, because I was drinking beer at night)

DUUUDE!!! THAT'S INSANE!!! :eek:

How many sodas and why?

I'm glad you're off that cos that's absolutely terrible!!!

The beeyas are ok but all of that sugar and empty calories?

MAX
11-01-2007, 07:15 AM

No they didn't.

Jager "bombs" are right up there with ANY drinks mixed with Red Bull and also selecting White Zinfandel (Fruit Punch, Kool Aid or White Trash) as a wine of choice.

"Sir, would you like to see the wine list?"

"Ain'tcha got no box of that done white zin?"

"We'd also like a Red Bull 'n Vodka, two shots of Jager and a cup to spip our hagen in... Y'all don't mind if the missus smokes a grape/strawberry daquiri/peach bellini/pina colada flavuuurD cee-gar she done picked up at 7-11 does ya?"

Seriously, the Jager's excusable for college kids but after that, it's a white trash hick booze just as is white zin. Again, that's shit Hagar fans prolly drink prior to singin' in their salvaged titled '82 Trans Am's parked next to their single wide as they leave their fifteen kids a can of Alpo to share for dinner and the said children must gnaw and pry the can open with what's left of their collective tooths.

THATZ WHUT DREAMS ERRR MAID UVVV!!! :uck:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/barbie2270906_700x385.jpg

FORD
11-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MAX
DUUUDE!!! THAT'S INSANE!!! :eek:

How many sodas and why?

I'm glad you're off that cos that's absolutely terrible!!!

The beeyas are ok but all of that sugar and empty calories?

It wasn't just the weekends either. When I was younger and working in places like Subway or convenience stores, I had access to free carbonation, so I would drink it all day long, for the energy. Coke, if it was available. Mountain Dew if it was not, because I just can't stand Pepsi.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of what high fructose corn syrup did to the human body back then. Believe me, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have switched to coffee, or maybe even created the green tea trend myself.

Terry
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Am still toughing it out.

Thanks for the advice, support and cyberspace hugging it out, bitches!

2 1/2 hours of sleep in the last 36, but I actually don't have the slightest craving for any type of soda...even at work.

Totally know about the Food Industry workplace induction into drinking soda all the time because it's free. Spent ten years off and on hopping from kitchen to kitchen as a line cook, and drinking soda constantly while at work was something everyone did, even with the awareness that water is actually better for you.

Am considering the green tea treatment, but think part of the problem is I went off cold turkey and have been drinking nothing other than bottled water; need to start phasing orange juice back into my diet...quit drinking milk (which was up to two gallons a week five months ago) at the start of last summer...hey what the fuck am I still babbling on about all this shit for? What are you guys, my biographers?

Excuse me while I go wash my hands for the millionth time today, followed up by a brisk shower using Comet, Murphy's Oil Soap and steel wool in the place of shower head water and soap.

jharp84
11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry bro! I gotta fuck with lounge here!~ Listen U mothufacka! Who made you GOD! on this site! Fuck your bitter shit! DO U have a LIFE??? FUCK U! Juice !

FORD
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Now I'm convinced that this asshole and Ass Diamond are one and the same.

Otherwise, why would he turn into such a bitch when his other half got the ax?

LoungeMachine
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Sorry bro! I gotta fuck with lounge here!~ Listen U mothufacka! Who made you GOD! on this site! Fuck your bitter shit! DO U have a LIFE??? FUCK U! Juice !

LMMFAO

Poor baby, did I hurt you by getting rid of your girlfriend?

Maybe you can find someone on here to pick up?

:lol:

LoungeMachine
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM

I think they just had a good cry together.

:D

LoungeMachine
11-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Excuse me while I go wash my hands for the millionth time today, followed up by a brisk shower using Comet, Murphy's Oil Soap and steel wool in the place of shower head water and soap.

Hang in there, T.

In the meantime, hit my OCD thread.

jharp84
11-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Relax it AL! OCD is cool!

Ally_Kat
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM

I'm not an IP master, but the IP is different by two numbers at the end. Same internet provider, same location. Almost as if they were dorm roomates or some shit.

franksters
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Red bull is a good alternative, I don't know if you've heard about this other power drink called GURU, similar to red bull but no sugar or artificial ssweetner , much better for you...

if not stick with green tea: infused no longer than 2 minutes, drink 5 time a day, it should do the trick!

franksters
11-01-2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.guruenergy.ca/

DrMaddVibe
11-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Sounds painful Terry, hang in there. I know a guy that kicked the Diet Coke demon. That dude played hell with it too.

I gots to have my morning coffee and that's it for the day, but soda...never really floated my boat.

I believe there's a alternative to Red Bull that's available at Asian markets at like 1/2 the price too!

Nitro Express
11-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I like to fuck my secretary about mid-day. Get's my blood pumping and clears my head. I am hung like a red bull. :D

FORD
11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
This GURU stuff sounds interesting. I've never seen it around here, but hopefully it will turn up.

It's the first time I've ever seen a commercial diet version sweetened with stevia. And the regular version with cane sugar, naturally.

Closest I've seen to this is a brand called Syzmo which was sweetened with agave cactus syrup. (the non-fermented kind, of course. otherwise it would be tequila)

ace diamond
11-02-2007, 05:16 AM
Juice on the loose!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup.....and come tuesday night.....ace and juice on the loose!!!!!

ace diamond
11-02-2007, 05:24 AM

lounge, I'm flying out there tuesday,
we will video the whole damn thing and post it.
not in it's entirety,obviously. it will be edited so it won't go too long and won't suck!

be careful what you wish for...............

ace diamond
11-02-2007, 05:29 AM
LMMFAO

Poor baby, did I hurt you by getting rid of your girlfriend?

Maybe you can find someone on here to pick up?

:lol:

EAT A DICK

ODShowtime
11-02-2007, 08:27 AM

So I got hooked on Red Bull.

Glad to be home, but I'm still drinking one of those damn things every morning....

Hate them, but I'm hooked.

Try some Stoli Strawberry in your Red Bull. The only "fruity" drink I like. Shit's awesome.

I'm cutting back on soda as well these days, but not coffee! Hell no.

ace diamond
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
well, to all who dig it...cool
i am deathly allergic to strawberries.

Nitro Express
11-03-2007, 03:25 AM
This GURU stuff sounds interesting. I've never seen it around here, but hopefully it will turn up.

It's the first time I've ever seen a commercial diet version sweetened with stevia. And the regular version with cane sugar, naturally.

Closest I've seen to this is a brand called Syzmo which was sweetened with agave cactus syrup. (the non-fermented kind, of course. otherwise it would be tequila)

I love Aqave! I had some Full Throttle flavored with agave. Tastey! :D

Nitro Express
11-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ace diamond
well, to all who dig it...cool
i am deathly allergic to strawberries.

I'm alergic to milk and wheat. It's a bitch. I eat like a Mexican or an Asian. Lot's of rice and beans. Being alergic to strawberries would be a bitch. We grow them in our garden.

Nitro Express
11-03-2007, 04:13 AM
This dude quit soda! :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnVKkJFYkhg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnVKkJFYkhg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Terry
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, last night I finally got a solid 8 hours of sleep, with the aid of several beers and some Chinese food.

Have gotten over the worst of it.

However, I'm never gonna quit smoking, or slapping it to chunkygrandmas.com, no matter what!

Props for all the advice.