PDA

View Full Version : Saw the Foo Fighters (again) last night

Don Corleone
11-06-2007, 02:20 AM
At Newcastle Areana (same place Meat walked off stage) - The Foo's lasted longer than the 40 minutes that Meat was actually on stage.

Serj Tankian of System of a Down opened for them - I'd never heard any of his solo stuff until last night, but I enjoyed it.

The Foo's where fucking incredible - I'll write a full review when I have a little more time (and I'll try to remember the full set list).

This was the 2nd time I've seen the Foo's in Newcastle - and it's the 2nd time they've hit the stage after having a CVH track played over the PA (1st time was Feel Your Love Tonight, and last night was Everybody Wants Some).

jharp84
11-06-2007, 02:27 AM
That! is a good thing!

binnie
11-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Cool. Please write a full review.

I was going to get tickets for this, but decided against it. Now I'm pissed that I didn't.

Last time I saw the Foos was in '98 at Ozzfest at Milton Keynes Bowl. They were decent, just completey out of place: they were sandwiched between Pantera and Ozzy!

Don Corleone
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Cool. Please write a full review.

I was going to get tickets for this, but decided against it. Now I'm pissed that I didn't.

Last time I saw the Foos was in '98 at Ozzfest at Milton Keynes Bowl. They were decent, just completey out of place: they were sandwiched between Pantera and Ozzy!

Coming right up. Incidentally they are now using a 3 guitar line up - a certain Mr Pat Smears is back in the band.

He didn't play the full gig last night mind, but I expect we'll be seeing more of him in the months to come.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Saw them on the first night in Manchester...fucking great.

The encore seemed a bit extended. Serj came on to do a SOAD song and they had some 11 year old kid, must have been from Make A Wish foundation or something, but they played Baker Street with this kid playing the lead.

How awesome was the B stage that came from above?...kinda like Shooting Stars with Vic and Bob s'ppose.

Stellar live act...just wish their albums were a little less patchy. When they release the inevitable Greatest Hits Collection it'll be an essential purpose, though.

binnie
11-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

The encore seemed a bit extended. Serj came on to do a SOAD song and they had some 11 year old kid, must have been from Make A Wish foundation or something, but they played Baker Street with this kid playing the lead.

How awesome was the B stage that came from above?...kinda like Shooting Stars with Vic and Bob s'ppose.

Stellar live act...just wish their albums were a little less patchy. When they release the inevitable Greatest Hits Collection it'll be an essential purpose, though.

I know what you mean about their albums (with the exception of The Colour and the Shape, which is a fucking amazing album). The new one however is very good, and a real grower.

Figs
11-06-2007, 04:45 PM
The Foo Fighters put on a great show. I saw them on the tour with Weezer, who were great as well.....and it was only $35 at the Meadowlands arena.

AndyChad
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

The song Tankian did with the Foos for an encore was actually

"Holiday in Cambodia" by the Dead Kennedys.

Agree about the gig. Excellent.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, I don't know...I don't like the Dead Kennedys or System of a Down (Syndrome).

Eyes of the Night
11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
A 3rd guitar in the lineup is a cool idea ...

Mezro
11-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Coming right up. Incidentally they are now using a 3 guitar line up - a certain Mr Pat Smears is back in the band.

He didn't play the full gig last night mind, but I expect we'll be seeing more of him in the months to come.

Maybe he was just a special guest. It would be fucking great if Pat was back in the band.

Mezro...love the Foos...

Don Corleone
11-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Mezro
Maybe he was just a special guest. It would be fucking great if Pat was back in the band.

Mezro...love the Foos...

I think he is - Dave did the introducing the band to the crowd and did introduce Pat as "Playing Guitar in this fucking band". Plus Pat came out for the 1st few songs.

I do think though we'll see more of Pat with the Foo's on future tours.

binnie
11-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Well, I don't know...I don't like the Dead Kennedys or System of a Down (Syndrome).

Why don't you like SOAD? They're an amazing band.

Just not your cup of tea eh?

Shaun Ponsonby
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Same reason you don't like Queen...

Not my Bottle O' Jack...

In fact, very few newer bands are.

I'm so fucking middle-aged for a 19 year old.

binnie
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Same reason you don't like Queen...

Not my Bottle O' Jack...

In fact, very few newer bands are.

I'm so fucking middle-aged for a 19 year old.

I was the same with a lot of newer stuff when I was 17-22, I'd heard it all before (especially the really heavy stuff) and didn't think it had the depth of most of the older bands. However, since 2004 I'd say that there are lots of "newer" bands that I've been really getting into. I find that there is always great music if you look hard enough for it (I had the advoantage of working in a record shop for seven years.)

I think you're missing out on SOAD, but if it's not your bag then no biggie.

I'm sure one day I'll end up liking Queen :D

Don Corleone
11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I've got to admit, I've never been big on SOAD - but I really enjoyed Serj's solo set.

I even popped into HMV during my lunch break for his album.

binnie
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I've got to admit, I've never been big on SOAD - but I really enjoyed Serj's solo set.

I even popped into HMV during my lunch break for his album.

I haven't heard the solo album yet, let me know if it's any good (there have been mixed reviews)

smaz
11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I've seen Foo's three times... First time was great, second time was good, third time was... yawn. It's the same stuff, everytime. They sound good & look good doing it, but it's not worth it after the second time. Infact I tore up my un-used ticket for their show at Hyde Park the other day...

janarak
11-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Saw the Foo's at the arena on Monday . They were class.
Thought the center stage was a great idea.
Dave foo was totaly up for it.
While getting hammered downstairs before the gig, the topic was what would it be like if we were going up stairs to watch the might Van halen.

Don Corleone
11-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I haven't heard the solo album yet, let me know if it's any good (there have been mixed reviews)

I'm really enjoying it - It's a little different in places, but different in a good way.

Some catchy tunes as well - especially Empty Walls & Baby.

Don Corleone
11-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by janarak
Saw the Foo's at the arena on Monday . They were class..

Another Geordie - thought I was the only one around here.

janarak
11-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Another Geordie - thought I was the only one around here.

Nah, They get every were .