PDA

View Full Version : Cheney Impeachment Bill Hits The Floor

LoungeMachine
11-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Cheney impeachment ready for a vote: To table it
by Matthew Hay Brown

It now looks as if Rep. Dennis Kucinich’s effort to impeace Vice President Dick Cheney will finally come to a vote today – but not the vote for which supporters have been hoping.

With Democrats averse to opening an intramural debate on an issue that divides their base, party leaders are expected to nip the measure in the bud this afternoon. Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told reporters this morning that he would move to table the measure when Kucinich introduces it.

"[House Speaker Nancy Pelosi] and I have both said impeachment is not on our agenda," Hoyer told reporters. "That does not make a judgment on that issue."

Hoyer’s motion appears likely to pass – an outcome that would further alienate an antiwar left already frustrated with a lack of progress by congressional Democrats on changing U.S. policy on Iraq.

"We are in a serious Constitutional crisis," Joseph A. Palermo, a professor of history at California State University, Sacramento, wrote this morning on the Huffington Post. "Democrats were elected to Congress to put the brakes on the Bush-Cheney juggernaut. … [Kucinich’s bill] is a long overdue measure coming from a Democrat who has the guts to stand up for the United States Constitution."

Kucinich, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, has gathered 21 co-sponsors for the articles of impeachment that he first introduced in April. Seeing war with Iran on the horizon, the Ohio congressman now plans to reintroduce the measure this afternoon as a privileged resolution.

Kucinich alleges that Cheney misled Congress and the American public into the war in Iraq, and is trying now to mislead lawmakers and voters into a war with Iran.

"The Vice President is cherry-picking intelligence and selectively using facts in a manner that does not portray the complete picture," Kucinich said today in a statement. "The best option to prevent an unnecessary war with Iran is to impeach the Vice President, the lead cheerleader of the war."

Hoyer did not address the substance of the measure.

"This administration has approximately 12 months, 14 months to go," the Maryland Democrat said. "We have very important issues that we are focusing on: Change of policy in Iraq. Children’s health care. Energy independence. Educational access. Investing in health care. Securing our borders and our ports. We have some major priorities. We believe that we need to pursue those policies, focusing on those policies."

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, whose panel has jurisdiction over impeachment proceedings, has described the impeachment effort as a potential disruption.

"If the speaker were to let this thing out of the box, considering the number of legislative issues we have pending," the Michigan Democrat told Fox News, "it could create a split that could affect our productivity for the rest of the Congress."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2007/11/cheney_impeachment_ready_for_a.html

LoungeMachine
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
We Report. You Decide.
Dennis Kucinich Pushes for Cheney Impeachment Articles
Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Nov. 5: Democratic presidential hopeful Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, speaks during a Bioeconomy Conference Forum.
WASHINGTON — Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich made a procedural move on the House floor Tuesday to call up a vote on the Democratic presidential candidate's resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney, although the effort could be stopped in its tracks before the end of the day.

In the resolution, which was introduced in April and has 21 co-sponsors, Kucinich accuses Cheney of lying to Congress and the U.S. public in order to enter into a war in Iraq, and of trying to mislead again in order to start a war with Iran. Kucinich took about 15 minutes Tuesday to read the resolution into the record on the House floor.

After considering his motion, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi allowed the resolution to come up for debate.

But prospects for success on his effort to pass the resolution don't appear strong. A key Democrat on Tuesday reaffirmed that congressional leaders aren't keen on Kucinich's resolution.

"Impeachment is not on our agenda. We have some major priorities. We need to focus on those," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said, adding that he planned on killing the effort.

Previewing his remarks on Monday, Kucinich issued a statement saying: "The vice president is cherry-picking intelligence and selectively using facts in a manner that does not portray the complete picture."

A Monday evening conference call intended to discuss Tuesday's plan might have foretold its future. Kucinich presidential campaign co-coordinator Herbert Hoffman said the scheduled call with resolution sponsors was canceled after suffering a fatal "technical failure."

Death of the resolution also is the preferable route for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who indicated through her spokesman Monday that impeachment is off the table.

"We're focused on redeploying our troops out of Iraq, covering 10 million uninsured children and meeting our national priorities long neglected by the Bush administration," said Pelosi aide Nadeam Elshami.

FOX News' Chad Pergram and Molly Hooper contributed to this report.

FORD
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
FUCK YOU Steny Whore!! :mad:

knuckleboner
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
impeaching cheney now would only hurt the democrats.

the independent, swing voters would view them as useless. rather than pass laws to actually fix things (immigration/social security/health care/the war) the democrats would be wasting time doing a largely symbolic measure.

at best, it's pandering.

Jim Shetterlini
11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner

the independent, swing voters would view them as useless. rather than pass laws to actually fix things (immigration/social security/health care/the war) the democrats would be wasting time doing a largely symbolic measure.

at best, it's pandering.

No No No by all means let them try to do it. I think it would be a great political move by the least liked congress in polling history. In fact drag it out right up until the election a year from now.

LoungeMachine
11-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
No No No by all means let them try to do it. I think it would be a great political move by the least liked congress in polling history. In fact drag it out right up until the election a year from now.

LMMFAO

See, this is the kind of "logic" that comes from listening to Sean and Rush in your cubicle 8 hours a day.

:D

Jimbo, why exactly do you think the current congress has such low approvals after being voted in last November?

BECAUSE THEY'VE FAILED TO STAND UP TO THIS FRAUD OF AN ADMINISTRATION THAT BROUGHT US THIS FAILED OCCUPATION.

They were brought in to bring CHANGE and ACCOUNTABILITY to an administration that had it's own way for 6 years with a rubber stamp Republican Congress that got NOTHING done but spend and steal, spend and steal, slend and steal.

If you want to cite polls [i.e. low congressional approval] let's cite polls.

11% approve of darth Cheney
56% approve of impeaching him
60% disapprove of BushCo's wars

But then again, this spineless, sacless bunch of pretend Democrats are afraid of another Anthrax attack on them, and they're afraid of being labelled as not supporting the troops by Cheney's goon squad

Shit most of them are afraid of their own fucking shadows.

But I digress....

You need to ask yourself WHY they were elected over you guys last year.

It wasn't to rubber stamp Chimpy.

And since they're not veto proof, they're pretty hamstrung on some issues.

The other issues they're just pussy-footed panty-waists.

C'mon, Jimbo.

I know you can do better than this.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
11-06-2007, 08:48 PM

at best, it's pandering.

wrong.

wrong.

kinda wrong.

LoungeMachine
11-06-2007, 09:29 PM

the least liked congress in polling history

Speaking of unliked congress, Jimbo.....

Answer me this, please... Since you also trumpeted the lack of another terror attack under Bush's watch thus far...

In the 6 years of a Republican White House, Republican Congress, and a Republican friendly Court.......

What exactly did your guys do to secure our borders with all of this power?

Our ports?

Our food and water supplies?

Our power plants?

Other than Tom Ridge's Color Coding "system", could you please point to me your top accomplishments in securing us?

Thank you in advance,

The Bright Side.

Jim Shetterlini
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
LMMFAO

See, this is the kind of "logic" that comes from listening to Sean and Rush in your cubicle 8 hours a day.

:D

Jimbo, why exactly do you think the current congress has such low approvals after being voted in last November?

BECAUSE THEY'VE FAILED TO STAND UP TO THIS FRAUD OF AN ADMINISTRATION THAT BROUGHT US THIS FAILED OCCUPATION.

They were brought in to bring CHANGE and ACCOUNTABILITY to an administration that had it's own way for 6 years with a rubber stamp Republican Congress that got NOTHING done but spend and steal, spend and steal, slend and steal.

If you want to cite polls [i.e. low congressional approval] let's cite polls.

11% approve of darth Cheney
56% approve of impeaching him
60% disapprove of BushCo's wars

But then again, this spineless, sacless bunch of pretend Democrats are afraid of another Anthrax attack on them, and they're afraid of being labelled as not supporting the troops by Cheney's goon squad

Shit most of them are afraid of their own fucking shadows.

But I digress....

You need to ask yourself WHY they were elected over you guys last year.

It wasn't to rubber stamp Chimpy.

And since they're not veto proof, they're pretty hamstrung on some issues.

The other issues they're just pussy-footed panty-waists.

C'mon, Jimbo.

I know you can do better than this.

Please please give me some credit, I'm a partner in a marketing brokerage firm, I wouldn't have the time to banter with you all day if I worked for somebody.

Lounge, you know I got to get a first name from you someday. I feel weird calling you Lounge or is that wear you hang out reading and listening to negativre thought all day long. LOL Anyway, the reason why their approval ratings are the lowest in history is because they ran (in key states) as cons dems and when they got in office they are just the opposite. Also, the american people also listened to Nasty Pelosi and Dingy harry when they gained power and they promised "unity"(how many times did she fuckin say that) and results. Instead it has been a weekly dose of hearings and running down of the military leaders. Fuck they spent more time on why Gonzalez fired 9 US attorneys, than they do on passing any quality legislation. And you know what, quality legislation is not increased taxation at every opportunity to grow the burden on the avg american.

Sorry couldn't back to ya sooner took my 2 boys out to dinner and helped the economy a liittle.

In regards to my theory on giving credit to Bush on the last 7 years for no more attacks and not blaming it all on him for 9/11, I covered that pretty good. Clinton did nothing when our embassys were bombed in 98(again bombing an aspirin factory does not count) did nothing about the USS Cole attack, All of this was happening when UBL was planning 9/11. Hell it's no wonder why Sandy Burglar did some pant stuffing. They had alot of CYA to do to protect the so called Clinton Legacy. Economy wise with Reagan, the economy is like a big ship it does not turn on a dime. So the last tax cuts of '86 did grow the economy for another 6 years until Bush SR, signed a tax increase and then Clinton tax increase in 93 slowed the growth of the economy to a recession right before the 2000 election and the burst of the .com bubble happened shortly before that. So yes in large part the Clinton economy was a results of the capital gains tax cuts of the late 80's, which spurred investment into new busineses which grew gov revenues because of economic growth. The bigger the economy grows the more revenue is realized by the government. That is not an opinion that is a fact.

Economics 101 class has been dismissed!!!

Clinton years= 6 attacks on american interests
Response= "UBL a hot potato and we had no legal authority"
Results= Continued attacks on our interests and planning continues on the big one.

Bush years = 1 attack on 9/11/2001
Response= Invasion of 2 countries known to have ties to UBL and other terrorist orgs with financial and weaponry support, leading to the destruction of terrorist cells and the capabilities they have. Also many known terrorists are either captured and killed in both Afghanistan and Iraq leading to several foiling of terrorits plots and plans.

Results: No attacks on american soil and interests around the world. The fight was brought to them instead of it over here.

Now let's have a drink and talk about titties.
You have been pouring all day I think I will partake.

Jim Shetterlini
11-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Speaking of unliked congress, Jimbo.....

Answer me this, please... Since you also trumpeted the lack of another terror attack under Bush's watch thus far...

In the 6 years of a Republican White House, Republican Congress, and a Republican friendly Court.......

What exactly did your guys do to secure our borders with all of this power?

Our ports?

Our food and water supplies?

Our power plants?

Other than Tom Ridge's Color Coding "system", could you please point to me your top accomplishments in securing us?

Thank you in advance,

The Bright Side.

Not a god damn thing and this is another thing that as a conservative I am really pissed about. That drops the grade even further, and yes I tie this directly to the Bush ADMIN and the lack of leadership on this issue. Now I got to drink more!

jhale667
11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Not a god damn thing and this is another thing that as a conservative I am really pissed about. That drops the grade even further, and yes I tie this directly to the Bush ADMIN and the lack of leadership on this issue. Now I got to drink more!

Congrats for being a con around here that will admit BushCo's utter failure.
But you seem waaay too intelligent to truly be buying into the "fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" thing...:rolleyes:

knuckleboner
11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
wrong.

wrong.

kinda wrong.

dude, congress has a low approval rating because it has done nothing. (now, i'll admit, bush has stonewalled them a little, so it's not all their fault.)

but there is NO CHANCE that the public thinks that impeaching the symbolic office of vice president is a worthwhile endeavor. it won't actually change ANY policies of the bush adminstration, and it will happen pretty much close to when cheney would've left office, anyways. AND, the congress will be so preoccupied with the proceedings that they REALLY won't have much time for actual policy changes.

you know, the voters who wanted change wanted change in RESULTS, not in rhetoric.

here's a republican winner for the close districts in 2008 if the democrats impeached cheney:

"my opponent promised to remove the troops from iraq but instead just focused on the political game of removing the vice president from washington. vote for me and i WILL work to pass legislation to start bringing our troops home."

winner...

scamper
11-07-2007, 11:02 AM
you know, the voters who wanted change wanted change in RESULTS, not in rhetoric.

That's what I voted for, but so far there's been nothing but the blame game. Never changes, on either side.

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 02:52 PM
With all due respect, scamp...

I can't imagine you pulled any levers with a D next to them.....

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
dude, congress has a low approval rating because it has done nothing. (now, i'll admit, bush has stonewalled them a little, so it's not all their fault.)

Thanks for reiterating MY point ;)

They have done nothing......

TO CHANGE THE COURSE OF THIS FAILED ADMIN'S FOREIGN POLICY IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

They've managed to invade, occupy, and fuck up Iraq and Afghanistan....

They've managed to allow our one "ally" Pakistan to suspend the contsitution and beat and jail lawyers [not so bad in and of itself ;)]

They've managed to put us at the brink of a 3rd War front with Iran.

They've done nothing about all of the Saudis entering Iraq to kill Americans...

And the Dems have done NOTHING to change this.

DrMaddVibe
11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Kucinich's Broadside At Cheney Is Foiled
By Elizabeth Williamson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 7, 2007;

On a day intended for moving long-overdue annual spending bills, the House instead spent a good chunk of yesterday wrangling over an entirely different endeavor: a motion to impeach Vice President Cheney.

For more than six months, Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio), a long-shot presidential candidate, has labored to bring to a vote his plan to send the vice president packing. Kucinich says Cheney lied to Americans in the run-up to the Iraq war, chiefly about evidence that Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction.But yesterday, the antiwar liberal's seemingly quixotic effort drew unexpected support from Republicans, who saw a golden opportunity to engage Democrats in a debate on the issue.

Kucinich's rambling, 18-page resolution bristles with citations of Cheney's public comments justifying the war. "The best option to prevent an unnecessary war with Iran," he said, "is to impeach the Vice President, the lead cheerleader of the war" in Iraq.

"The Constitution has been under attack by this administration," Kucinich told an reporter during the vote, and his effort is "part of a growing movement" to defend it.

"This isn't about my campaign," he said. "This isn't a Democratic-Republican issue."

But it became a partisan issue yesterday once Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) moved to table Kucinich's resolution. Hoyer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) have said they will not back such symbolic gestures, for fear of burnishing Congress's current do-nothing image.

During the subsequent vote, Republicans were far along toward helping kill the resolution when they began switching their "yes" votes to "no's," clearly hoping for a public debate that would have showcased the Democrats' most vocal lefties.

But in the end, Hoyer settled for sending the resolution to the Judiciary Committee. There it is destined for oblivion.

Cheney has not come under such direct legislative attack since June, when Democratic Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel (Ill.) pushed to cut funding for Cheney's office and residence, even his lawn service. But Emanuel's proposal was tongue-in-cheek, whereas Kucinich's resolution, as he said, was "urgent."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/06/AR2007110602000.html

Beam him up ET...he's baked.

scamper
11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
With all due respect, scamp...

I can't imagine you pulled any levers with a D next to them.....

Thats all I pulled at our last election, and depending on who's running I might do the same at the next one. I don't agree with a lot of things the left stand for but sometimes they're the better of two evils.

scamper
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
or is it lesser of two evils

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow.

Good for you.

My apologies for assuming you were another BuSHEEP

Hardrock69
11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I recall a couple of years ago where I got Big Bad Bri to admit that he was ashamed that he was a Republican, due to all the
Republicans who were turning out to be criminals, pedophiles, murderers, homos, etc. etc.

If I were a Republican, I would be ashamed as well.

themonkey and his organ grinder have done more to destroy the credibility of the Republican Party than any politicians in history.

That fucking bitch Nancy Pelosi should be tried for treason, for failing to impeach themonkey.

If she were a true Democrat....hell, if she were a true human being who actually cared about the People of the United States Of America, she would have begun impeachment proceedings from the very moment she assumed her position in Congress.

But NOOOOOOO!

Stupid fucking bitch is sucking the Republican cock and doing nothing whatsoever.

She is just as much a traitor as anyone in the White House!

:mad:

Warham
11-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Why should Republicans be ashamed because of a select few in the party who are deviants? If that's the case, shouldn't Democrats be ashamed of their leaders for being deviants and sucking Republican cock? There are felons in both parties.

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm fed up with the DLC

And the few Republicans worth a shit [ i.e. Hagel] are quitting...

There is nothing to be proud of coming out of DC, but the direction THIS ADMINISTRATION has taken this country was at the hands of NEO CONS.

This aint your father's Republican's Party.

knuckleboner
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for reiterating MY point ;)

They have done nothing......

TO CHANGE THE COURSE OF THIS FAILED ADMIN'S FOREIGN POLICY IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

They've managed to invade, occupy, and fuck up Iraq and Afghanistan....

They've managed to allow our one "ally" Pakistan to suspend the contsitution and beat and jail lawyers [not so bad in and of itself ;)]

They've managed to put us at the brink of a 3rd War front with Iran.

They've done nothing about all of the Saudis entering Iraq to kill Americans...

And the Dems have done NOTHING to change this.

well...yeah. that's MY point;). i firmly believe that you can sorta, kinda tell the American public that bush's obstructionistic policies have hampered congress' attempts at change. (though, i do not believe the democrats in congress have done a worthy job thus far.) but you can't do that at all if the congress wastes 6+months impeaching cheney.

impeaching the administration at this point is just a bad idea that will further reinforce to the swing voters that the democrats are complainers not leaders. (or deciderers, or however it goes...:D)

and yes, jailing lawyers is not a bad thing. primarily because it creates more work for the other lawyers who have to represent them. in fact, if mods got paid, i'd say jail GS immediately...

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Seems like this thread is nearing it's end.

ConSHEEP out!

DLR'sCock
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Bottom line, they should have been impeached, Bush and Cheney, and their record is impeachable for certain, but I agree that "politically" speaking I don't think it is worth it now, I guess......but I would sure as hell support it.

Kucinich is getting my Primary vote, from this registered Independent.

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah well, the American people voted for these jackasses, twice, and now they have to live with them...

Impeachment might have been nice, but there's little point in it at this juncture...

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
At this point, with me actual ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT aren't even the goal.....

Jut bring the DEBATE to the forefront....

Expose, analyze, and put pressure where it belongs.

Who said "Sunlight is the best disenfectant" ??

Bet he was a Republican

DLR'sCock
11-07-2007, 06:24 PM
At this point, with me actual ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT aren't even the goal.....

Jut bring the DEBATE to the forefront....

Expose, analyze, and put pressure where it belongs.

Who said "Sunlight is the best disenfectant" ??

Bet he was a Republican

I agree with you on this point Lounge, open discourse.....lol god forbid......of course it would turn into the usual assinine sound byte bs on most tv news.........where most lemmings feed from......so would it make a difference as to what the public already knows? i dunno....people know quite a bit already....

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Yep.

You're right.

But beats the shit out of what they're "accomplishing" so far....

Hardrock69
11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by WAR
Why should Republicans be ashamed because of a select few in the party who are deviants? If that's the case, shouldn't Democrats be ashamed of their leaders for being deviants and sucking Republican cock? There are felons in both parties.

So you are saying you are proud of all the pedophile, corrupt, criminal murderers in office who are Republicans?

I thought Republicans were all about law, order, and conservative Christian values?

My bad. Apparently that is not how you think.
:rolleyes: