PDA

View Full Version : Giuliani Still Loves His Piece of Shit Corrupt ex-Police Commish

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
November 6, 2007
Giuliani Says Successes Surpass Kerik’s Mistakes
By MICHAEL COOPER

Former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani said yesterday that the crime-fighting successes of the disgraced former police commissioner, Bernard B. Kerik, outweighed his legal problems, and added that “if I have the same degree of success and failure as president of the United States, this country will be in great shape.”

In an interview with The Associated Press in New Hampshire, Mr. Giuliani said that he had erred in not thoroughly vetting Mr. Kerik, who is now under a federal investigation for accepting free renovations while he was working for Mr. Giuliani from a construction firm suspected of having links to organized crime. But Mr. Giuliani said that Mr. Kerik’s wrongdoing did not diminish what he had accomplished for the city.

“There were mistakes made with Bernie Kerik,” Mr. Giuliani said in the interview. “But what’s the ultimate result for the people of New York City? The ultimate result for the people of New York City was a 74 percent reduction in shootings, a 60 percent reduction in crime, a correction program that went from being one of the worst in the country to one that was on ‘60 Minutes’ as one of the best in the country, 90 percent reduction of violence in the jails.”

“Sure, there were issues,” Mr. Giuliani added, “but if I have the same degree of success and failure as president of the United States, this country will be in great shape.”

Mr. Kerik is now facing a possible indictment on a range of federal felony charges, including perhaps tax evasion and bribery, stemming in part from his acceptance of $165,000 in renovations to his Bronx apartment paid for by the construction firm, Interstate Industrial. In June 2006, Mr. Kerik pleaded guilty in the Bronx to state misdemeanor charges relating to the same renovations.

Mr. Giuliani, who in 2004 supported Mr. Kerik’s failed nomination to become secretary of the federal Department of Homeland Security, told The A.P. that “it was a mistake not checking him out as thoroughly as I should have.”

“I don’t like surprises,” he said in the interview. “I don’t like to find out things that I haven’t found out myself. Not that it hasn’t happened to me before. But I try to tighten up the whole thing and make sure we do a better job in the future.”

The New York Times reported on Saturday that Mr. Giuliani ignored a number of warning signs when, in 2000, he chose Mr. Kerik as his police commissioner, over the objections of more than half his cabinet.

Mr. Giuliani, in testimony last year to a state grand jury, acknowledged that the city’s investigations commissioner, Edward J. Kuriansky, had told him that he had been briefed at least once about Mr. Kerik’s involvement with Interstate. Mr. Giuliani said, though, that neither he nor any of his aides could recall being briefed about it.

But a review of Mr. Kuriansky’s diaries, and investigators’ notes from a 2004 interview with him, now indicate that such a session took place. Mr. Kuriansky also recalled briefing one of Mr. Giuliani’s closest aides, Dennison Young Jr., about Mr. Kerik’s entanglements with the company just days before he was appointed police commissioner, according to the diaries he compiled at the time and his later recollection to the investigators.

In his interview with The A.P., Mr. Giuliani said that he had not spoken recently with Mr. Kerik, who also worked with Mr. Giuliani in private business. And he said he did not know what effect an indictment of Mr. Kerik, or a guilty plea from him, might have on his campaign.

“I have no idea what’s going to happen, first of all, nor do I have any idea what he’s going to do,” Mr. Giuliani said.

Mr. Giuliani, who is using this week to try to introduce his pre-Sept. 11 biography to voters, has already apologized several times for the Kerik matter. But yesterday he cast his mistakes as evidence of his experience.

“I made mistakes,” he said. “I will continue to make mistakes. But what are the results? What kind of results do I get? What Bernie Kerik did wrong did not implicate what the results were for the public. What he did wrong, he’s going to have to pay for.”

“When you do a lot of things, there are more things where you’ve made mistakes,” he added. “Anybody running for president that hasn’t made their share of mistakes is probably not ready to be president. The question is, in spite of the mistakes that you make, are most of your decisions correct?”

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/06/us/politics/06giuliani.html?ref=us)

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
What a fine judge of character! Hey, just because somebody's a bent-fucking-cop and is in with the mob doesn't make 'em a bad guy!

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
If you like this, you'll want to go back and read this, too...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50690

Grab some popcorn.

The bernie Show is going to be a whopper.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
LMMFAO!!!!!!!

Pat Robertson Endorses Giuliani;
By Michael Cooper

The televangelist Pat Robertson endorsed Rudolph W. Giuliani today at the National Press Club in Washington, providing the former New York City Mayor with a big symbolic boost as he tries to allay the concerns of Christian conservatives about his candidacy.
The endorsement by Mr. Robertson could have some impact because of Mr. Robertsons clout through the Christian Broadcasting Network, where Mr. Giuliani can deliver a central argument of his candidacy: that the threat of terrorism is too important and should outweigh voters concerns about his stand on abortion.
It is my pleasure to announce my support for Americas Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, a proven leader who is not afraid of what lies ahead and who will cast a hopeful vision for all Americans, Pat Robertson said in a statement issued by the Giuliani campaign. Rudy Giuliani took a city that was in decline and considered ungovernable and reduced its violent crime, revitalized its core, dramatically lowered its taxes, cut through a welter of bureaucratic regulations, and did so in the spirit of bipartisanship which is so urgently needed in Washington today.
I am very encouraged by Pats support, Rudy Giuliani said. His confidence in me means a lot. His experience and advice will be a great asset to me and my campaign.
From The Timess Michael Luo, who is on the campaign trail in Iowa, heres a bit more on the Robertson announcement:
What does it all mean? Make no mistakethis is a coup for Mr. Giulianis campaign. Mr. Giuliani spoke at Regent University, the evangelical school Mr. Robertson founded, several months ago and was warmly received. The endorsement helps them quiet talk the talk that had bubbled up among Christian conservative leaders about supporting a third-party candidate if Mr. Giuliani, a supporter of abortion rights is the nominee, and bolstering his advisers contention that he can compete among Christian conservative voters who are dominant in early voting states like South Carolina and Iowa.
It is unclear how much sway someone like Mr. Robertson, who has had a tendency in recent years to make news with wild statements, continues to have among regular evangelicals. But his television show, the 700 Club, has a large following and he remains a recognizable name in this community, even though it has evolved, with many of the new leaders in the movement encouraging a broadening of its agenda beyond social issues like abortion and gay marriage.

Nitro Express
11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Ha! ha! That Police chief was set for life until 9/11 made him a hero and he got too much attention on him and then it all got exposed. Now the big house he may be living in won't be the one his mob buddies built for him. :D

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
These TV pundits who keep calling Rudy the presumptive Repuke Nominee crack me up.....

Just wait until his past/record sees the light of day.....

Buh-bye Rudy.

This guy WONT be the nominee.

FORD
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Pat Robertson endorses a pro-choice, gay-friendly, drag queen.......

I wonder what his CBN/700 Club flock thinks about that??

Between this and Charles Grassley's "crusade" against the tax dodging televangelists, we might be witnessing the implosion of the religious reich.

And Praise Jesus for that!!

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by FORD
And Praise Jesus for that!!

There you go, patting yourself on the back again.... :D

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, I guess abortion rights are only bad when Democrats advocate them...

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 02:43 PM
How many babies does Rudy plan on killing in his first term?

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
You guys seriously are not getting this excited about something published in the NY TIMES.....they hate RG and they make more shit up than a used car salesman involved in a weekend sales contest. They'd quote a dead guy to further the story. Wait didn't they get in trouble for that just recently.

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 03:22 PM
LMAO

Yeah, Jimbo....

All of the negative stories about RG are made up...

Especially the one where one of his fundraisers was indicted for selling cocaine...

And the fact he never attended a single meeting of the 9/11 panel he bragged about....

And he never actually recommended your boy for DHS That was only a rumor.

:rolleyes:

Turn off the Rush, it's eating your brain. ;)

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
LMAO

Yeah, Jimbo....

All of the negative stories about RG are made up...

Especially the one where one of his fundraisers was indicted for selling cocaine...

And the fact he never attended a single meeting of the 9/11 panel he bragged about....

And he never actually recommended your boy for DHS That was only a rumor.

:rolleyes:

Turn off the Rush, it's eating your brain. ;)

He's over now, Hannity just took over hammerin on Hillary. How you doin today?

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
You guys seriously are not getting this excited about something published in the NY TIMES.....they hate RG and they make more shit up than a used car salesman involved in a weekend sales contest. They'd quote a dead guy to further the story. Wait didn't they get in trouble for that just recently.

Feel free to fact check...

BITEYOASS
11-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Ok, PAT ROBERTSON ENDORSES RUDY GUILIANI? WHEN ARE ALL OF THE RELIGIOUS FUCKTARDS GONNA DIE OFF?!?!?! AND WHEN IS THIS FUCKIN DECADE GONNA END!!!! :mad:

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 05:12 PM
He's over now, Hannity just took over hammerin on Hillary. How you doin today?

It's misty outside and the leaves are falling,,,

I went with Bailey's and Hot Cocoa today.....

with the little marshmallows...

Rachael Maddow on at 3

That right wing tool Chris Matthews which I hate @ 4

Keith Olberman @ 5

I'll be into the Chivas by then..

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

You realize to Jimbo that means turning on FAUX and perusing the Moonie Times, right?

BITEYOASS
11-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Ok, that's it. I've made up my mind on the elections. So now I'm gonna avoid watching, reading or listening to the news for a month.

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I might just do that Nick and I will get back to ya. If everything in this piece is straight up fact, then I will be the first to admit it. I have no problem with the truth. Does anyone know the moonie times website address? I guess I'll just google it and go from there.

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 05:28 PM
It's misty outside and the leaves are falling,,,

I went with Bailey's and Hot Cocoa today.....

with the little marshmallows...

Rachael Maddow on at 3

That right wing tool Chris Matthews which I hate @ 4

Keith Olberman @ 5

I'll be into the Chivas by then..

A scotch man. nice...Why would you want to ruin, which sounds like a good day and an enjoyment of a fine cocktail, with Olberman blabbin away. Relax and enjoy a good article in the American Spectator.

FORD
11-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know the moonie times website address? I guess I'll just google it and go from there.

www.moonietimes.com (http://www.washingtontimes.com)

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
A scotch man. nice...

Got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for my birthday last year....

Was waiting for Articles of Impeachment to crack it open...

Relax and enjoy a good article in the American Spectator.

Never got into reading the funny papers.

Doonesbury and Outland notwithstanding...

Wanna borrow my issue of The Nation ?

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for my birthday last year....

Was waiting for Articles of Impeachment to crack it open...

Never got into reading the funny papers.

Doonesbury and Outland notwithstanding...

Wanna borrow my issue of The Nation ?

Whatever the reason, let's do some drinkin!

Sorry I don't need to borrow The Nation, plenty of TP, just cleaned out the birdcage and the recycle truck came by yesterday.

Jim Shetterlini
11-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by FORD
www.moonietimes.com (http://www.washingtontimes.com)

Thanks! I was being a smart ass...

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
LOL

[literally]

You're just what the forum needed Jimbo...

[fresh meat]

:cool:

PumpedUpMidget
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a hard time believing this guy is the GOP front runner.....there is no way in hell he will do anything come Election Day....

LoungeMachine
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Relax,

He'll be Roadkill by Feb.

hankster
11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Wow, all of this over some washed up Police Commish, I will say this though, I did feel much safer with Giulliani and Kerik in power than I did with Dinkins and that bozo Kelly

Nickdfresh
11-07-2007, 08:53 PM
In Carolina or NYC?

In any case, crime started going down under Dinkins - Giuliani just took credit for all of it...

Nitro Express
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
These TV pundits who keep calling Rudy the presumptive Repuke Nominee crack me up.....

Just wait until his past/record sees the light of day.....

Buh-bye Rudy.

This guy WONT be the nominee.

Romney would make a good replacement if he wasn't Mormon. I don't know why. A Mormon temple cerimony is nothing more than making secret oathes, putting the church before all else, and some other funny hocus pocus shit. Not too far from Skull and Bones and they get to be president.

FORD
11-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the 700 Club, Rudy
Pat Robertson's endorsement could be both a blessing and a curse for Rudy Giuliani.

By Walter Shapiro

Nov. 08, 2007 |

Pat Robertson's endorsement of Rudy Giuliani Wednesday morning may have triggered an earthquake in national political circles, but here in the most socially conservative of the early primary states, there were only faint tremors on the Richter scale. In fact, the early evening local newscasts did not even mention the Pat-and-Rudy odd-coupling, even though Giuliani had swooped into the area for a cameo appearance late afternoon at his state headquarters.

A quick canvas of South Carolina political experts produced the tentative conclusion that Robertson's blessing will only register at the margins, if at all. "The Christian right is always locally autonomous, and they don't take direction from their presumed leaders. I don't think this will signal a mass stampede by the evangelicals to Giuliani," said Danielle Vinson, a political science professor at Furman University.

Even more skeptical was David Woodard, a political scientist at Clemson University, also a Republican political consultant. "Pat Robertson roared into the state in 1988 after he finished second in the Iowa caucuses, and everybody thought that the Christian Coalition would deliver for him," Woodard recalled. "Instead George H.W. Bush thrashed him."

As he sat in his office in Greenville under a Bush-Quayle poster from that 1988 race, Republican strategist Chip Felkel, who is non-aligned in the Jan. 19 GOP primary, grappled with the implications of Robertson's rendezvous with Rudy. "I suppose it's significant that a nationally recognized religious leader has taken that step," he said. "The [Christian] coalition is not what it used be, but it's still important." Felkel regarded the Giuliani endorsement as similar to the anointing of Mitt Romney by Bob Jones III, the chancellor of Bob Jones University in Greenville, in late October. "What it said to a lot of people is that if they like Romney, it's OK to be for him."

Presidential campaign coverage tends to be afflicted with a fatal fascination with endorsements, given these public vows of troth are, like polls and fundraising figures, about the only "objective" news available before anyone votes. Endorsements may shape headlines but they rarely sway voters. It is embarrassing to recall how many otherwise sensible reporters proclaimed the 2004 Democratic nomination fight all but over as soon as Al Gore embraced Howard Dean.

But in limited circumstances -- like the Mitt Romney and Bob Jones III matchup -- endorsements do give voters a permission slip to do what they otherwise wanted to do. Loyal viewers of Robertson's "700 Club" who militantly oppose abortion and recoil at libertine lifestyles are unlikely to switch to the Catholic, thrice-married, publicly cross-dressing, pro-abortion rights Giuliani. But conservatives already strongly attracted to the former New York mayor's toughness and 9/11 allure might put their qualms about abortion aside because of Robertson's imprimatur.

Endorsements also bring with them a comic element, especially when erstwhile foes suddenly proclaim their shared visions. The Washington press conference announcing the Robertson endorsement was carefully constructed to make it all look like an alliance of strict-constructionist legal philosophers. Introducing the televangelist was not the campaign's director of evangelical outreach, or a political figure known for sharing Robertson's literal reading of the Book of Revelation. Instead the task fell to Ted Olson, the former solicitor general in the Bush Justice Department, a leading conservative legal thinker. The message was clear: This melding of minds was about putting more Antonin Scalias on the Supreme Court, not about Giuliani's personal life and beliefs.

Robertson, who is a frail 77-year-old, was at times not the most articulate advocate on behalf of his chosen candidate. Asked about fears of splitting the social conservative movement on a day when presidential dropout Sam Brownback endorsed John McCain, Robertson said, offering a clanging rather than a ringing endorsement, "I just believe that I needed to make a statement -- and I am speaking for myself -- that, in my opinion, as a -- what would be considered a leader of the evangelicals, that Rudy Giuliani is, without question, an acceptable candidate."

As the day wore on, Giuliani became more exuberant about his newfound ally. In a phone interview with O. Kay Henderson of Radio Iowa, Rudy talked about how on a 2003 trip to Israel with Robertson, "We realized we agreed on far many more things than we disagreed on. In fact, our goals for the country were exactly the same. There are a couple of differences on means and how to get there, but there was a wide area of agreement." It remains unclear whether these wide areas of agreement include support for Robertson's inflammatory 2005 claim that activist judges pose a greater threat "than a few bearded terrorists who fly into buildings."

As McCain discovered when his efforts to woo the late Jerry Falwell compromised his maverick reputation among independent voters, Giuliani does run a risk in secular New Hampshire of appearing too nakedly political in his effort to stake out common ground with Robertson. There is also the possibility that fear of a rampaging Rudy could eclipse the horror of Hillary among right-wing religious voters. As Woodard, the Clemson political scientist, put it, "This endorsement might also galvanize the social-issue conservatives to ramp up their efforts to stop him."

Fred Thompson, who was in South Carolina plugging his "100-percent pro-life voting record," was pressed for his reaction to the endorsement by Carl Cameron of Fox News, just minutes after the Robertson news burst from the press corp's BlackBerrys. "I'm surprised," Thompson said, with a flash of honesty. Then he cautiously added, "I guess it's because I'm easily surprised."

In truth, when this campaign began, it would have been impossible to imagine that Rudy Giuliani would ever be part of an onward-Christian-soldiers alliance with Pat Robertson. But then -- and please, please refrain from any impure thoughts -- politics makes strange bedfellows.

With reporting by Mark Benjamin from Washington.

-- By Walter Shapiro

Link (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/11/08/giuliani_robertson/)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Okay, so can we all just make it official, declare Rudy the new President, and stop arguing?

He's got PAT ROBERTSON'S endorsement. Game, set, and fucking match.

Nickdfresh
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Well if we don't, God is going to kill us all. Pat Robertson being his personal representative knows this, and is showing us God's anointed candidate...

Satan
11-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm guessing that Pat and God haven't seen this photo.......

http://www.jonesreport.com/images/060407_GiulianiKerik_vl.widec.jpg

Don't they make a cute couple? :spank:

Nickdfresh
11-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Well I jumped the gun on using the word "indicted" thread description - but not by much...

Kerik Indicted for Fraud:

11-09-2007 7:38 AM
By PAT MILTON, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (Associated Press) -- Less than three years ago, Bernard Kerik stood proudly at a White House podium, being introduced as President Bush's pick to head the Department of Homeland Security. Now Kerik stands to face what could be the decisive chapter in a downfall as stunning as his rise.

Kerik, a former New York police commissioner under then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani and a failed nominee for homeland security secretary, has been indicted by a federal grand jury on corruption charges, a person close to the investigation said. Kerik was expected to surrender to authorities Friday to be arraigned, a federal law enforcement official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the secrecy of grand jury proceedings.

A federal indictment of Kerik could complicate matters for Giuliani, now a Republican presidential candidate, as the first primaries draw near.

Giuliani endorsed Kerik's 2004 nomination to head Homeland Security. Only days after Bush introduced Kerik as his nominee, Kerik announced he was withdrawing his name because of tax issues involving his former nanny.

The charges in the indictment include mail and wire fraud, tax fraud, making false statements on a bank application, making false statements for a U.S. government position and theft of honest services, according to the person close to the investigation. The theft charge essentially accuses a government employee of abusing his position and defrauding the public.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the indictment was sealed and wasn't expected to be unsealed until Kerik's arraignment Friday.

The indictment does not include any charges stemming from allegations of eavesdropping related to former Westchester County District Attorney Jeanine Pirro's pursuit of information about whether her husband was having an affair, the person said.

Another person familiar with the investigation, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly, said Kerik would turn himself in Friday morning and be arraigned at noon in U.S. District Court.

Prosecutors had been presenting evidence to a federal grand jury for several months, asking jurors to consider charges including tax evasion and corruption.

The investigation of Kerik, 52, arose from allegations that, while a city official, he accepted $165,000 in renovations to his Bronx apartment, paid for by a mob-connected construction company that sought his help in winning city contracts.

Kerik pleaded guilty last year to a misdemeanor charge in state court, admitting that the renovations constituted an illegal gift from the construction firm. The plea spared him jail time and preserved his career as a security consultant, but his troubles resurfaced when federal authorities convened their own grand jury to investigate allegations that he failed to report as income tens of thousands of dollars in services from his friends and supporters.

Kerik was police commissioner on Sept. 11, 2001, and his efforts in response to the terrorist attacks helped burnish a career that came close to a Cabinet post.

Giuliani frequently says he made a mistake in recommending Kerik to be Homeland Security chief, but that might not be enough to avoid the political damage of a drawn-out criminal case involving his one-time protege.

During a campaign stop Thursday in Dubuque, Iowa, Giuliani was asked whether he still stood by Kerik. He sidestepped that question and said the issue had to be decided by the courts.

"A lot of public comment about it is inconsistent with its getting resolved in the right way in the courts," Giuliani said.

___

Associated Press writer Tom Hays contributed to this report.

BITEYOASS
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Well there is one bright side to all of this. We've all made up our minds on who to vote for next year.

Satan
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Dennis Kucinich.

If God can endorse a candidate, so can I!

Nitro Express
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Satan
I'm guessing that Pat and God haven't seen this photo.......

http://www.jonesreport.com/images/060407_GiulianiKerik_vl.widec.jpg

Don't they make a cute couple? :spank:

This is even a better couple! :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IrE6FMpai8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IrE6FMpai8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 01:08 AM
AND THE PLOT THICKENS.......

Ex-Publishers Suit Plays a Giuliani-Kerik Angle
By RUSS BUETTNER
Published: November 13, 2007

Judith Regan, the former book publisher, says in a lawsuit filed today protesting her dismissal by the News Corporation, the media conglomerate, that a senior executive there encouraged her to lie to federal investigators about her past affair with Bernard B. Kerik after he had been nominated to become homeland security secretary in late 2004.
The lawsuit asserts that the News Corporation executive wanted to protect the presidential aspirations of Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Keriks mentor, who had appointed him New York City police commissioner and had recommended him for the federal post.

Ms. Regan makes the charge at the start of a 70-page filing that seeks $100 million in damages for what she says was a campaign to smear and discredit her by her bosses at HarperCollins and its parent company, News Corporation, after her project to publish a book with O.J. Simpson was abandoned amid a storm of protest.

In the civil complaint filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, Ms. Regan says the company has long sought to promote Mr. Giulianis ambitions. But the lawsuit does not elaborate on that charge, identify the executive who she says pressured her to mislead investigators, or offer details to support her claim.

In fact, the allegation about the executive makes up a small part of a much broader array of claims concerning what she says was her improper removal from a job atop one of the more commericially successful book publishing operations.

A News Corporation spokeswoman who declined to be named said that the company saw no merit in the filing.

Ms. Regan had an affair with Mr. Kerik, who is married, beginning in the spring of 2001, when her imprint, ReganBooks, began work on his memoir, The Lost Son. In December 2004, after the relationship had ended and shortly after Mr. Keriks homeland security nomination fell apart, newspapers reported that the two had carried on the affair at an apartment near ground zero that had been donated as a haven for rescue and recovery workers.

Mr. Kerik, who said he had withdrawn his nomination because of problems with his hiring of a nanny, was indicted last week on federal tax fraud and other charges.

Defendants were well aware that Regan had a personal relationship with Kerik, the complaint says. In fact, a senior executive in the News Corporation organization told Regan that he believed she had information about Kerik that, if disclosed, would harm Giulianis presidential campaign. This executive advised Regan to lie to, and to withhold information from, investigators concerning Kerik.

One of Ms. Regans lawyers, Brian C. Kerr of the firm of Dreier L.L.P., said she had evidence to support her claim that she had been advised to lie to federal investigators who were vetting Mr. Kerik and who might have sought to question her about their romantic involvement. But Mr. Kerr declined to discuss the nature of the evidence.

"We are fully confident that the evidence will show that Judith Regan was the victim of a vicious smear campaign engineered by News Corporation and HarperCollins," Mr. Kerr said.

The lawsuit does not say whether Ms. Regan was, in fact, interviewed as part of the inquiry into Mr. Keriks fitness for the federal post, and if she was what she told investigators.

The News Corporation controls a variety of media outlets worldwide, including Twentieth Century Fox, The New York Post and the Fox News Channel, where Ms. Regan was once host of a talk show.

The Fox News Channels coverage of the presidential race has been a topic of some discussion within rival campaigns because the channel is directed by Mr. Giulianis friend of 20 years, Roger Ailes. But the network has strongly defended the balance of its coverage under Mr. Ailes, who served as media consultant to Mr. Giulianis first mayoral campaign in 1989. Mr. Giuliani, as mayor, later officiated at Mr. Ailess wedding.

Ms. Regan was fired on Dec. 15, 2006, after a month of withering publicity surrounding her plan to publish a hypothetical confession of O.J. Simpson to the murders of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald L. Goldman. The release of the book, If I Did It, was to be tied to the broadcasting of Ms. Regans interview of Mr. Simpson on Fox.

A second book, a novel that imagined drunken and lascivious escapades by Mickey Mantle, drew another round of outrage.

At the time, Rupert Murdoch, the head of News Corporation, called the Simpson book ill considered. Ms. Regan was fired and her imprint shutdown after a HarperCollins lawyer, Mark Jackson, claimed she had used an anti-Semitic remark in describing the internal campaign to fire as a Jewish cabal.

It was a tremendous fall for a woman who had, over a dozen years, built her own imprint into a best-seller juggernaut. It captured headlines by printing memoirs and other books by popular figures like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, and the porn star Jenna Jameson that were often overlooked by old-line publishing houses, as well as more traditional offerings, like The Zero, a novel set in the aftermath of 9/11, which was a finalist for a National Book Award in 2006.

Ms. Regan asserts in her lawsuit that she never used the term Jewish cabal and that both the Mantle book and the Simpson project were approved by a range of HarperCollins executives.

Mr. Murdoch himself, the suit says, signed off on the Simpson book during a dinner with Ms. Regan on Feb. 14, 2006.

Most of the complaint explores what Ms. Regan says was an effort to discredit and defame her starting in November 2006, including the release of what she calls false and defamatory statements by company executives to The New York Post, which is owned by the News Corporation, and The New York Times.

The assertion that the News Corporation has sought to protect Mr. Giuliani appears in the opening page of the filing. The document later revisits aspects of the assertion without providing a full account of what is alleged to have occurred or how it might be substantiated in court.

Ms. Regan says in the suit, though, that when she realized the company had been assembling material with which to justify firing her she called a company lawyer. She says she wanted to confirm that accusations she had made about executives creating a hostile workplace had been included in her personnel file. One of those accusations was that an executive had advised her to lie about Mr. Kerik to protect Mr. Giuliani.

This smear campaign was necessary to advance News Corp.s political agenda, which has long centered on protecting Rudy Giulianis presidential ambitions, the court papers say.

In 2004, Mr. Giuliani was being discussed as a potential presidential contender in 2008 but was more than two years away from openly talking about a run.

The complaint asserts that a second unnamed executive advised her not to produce clearly relevant documents in connection with the governments investigation of Kerik.

Thus, because of the damaging information that defendants believed Regan possessed, defendants knew they would be protecting Giuliani if they could pre-emptively discredit her, the lawsuit says.

Buh-bye, Rudy...

Sarge's Little Helper
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
cadaverdouche is a lying troll, but let's stay on topic....

RUDY IS TOAST