PDA

View Full Version : Recession Fears Grows.... are we on the Brink?

LoungeMachine
11-12-2007, 01:58 PM
. By Emily Kaiser - Analysis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Unsold goods are piling up in warehouses as the housing meltdown and soaring oil prices strain consumers, raising fears that already glum fourth-quarter growth prospects may tip toward recession.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned last week that economic growth would slow from the third quarter's surprisingly strong 3.9 percent annual rate. But recent data on inventories suggests the slowdown may be even more severe than the central bank has anticipated.

Wholesale inventories rose 0.8 percent in September, far greater than the 0.2 percent gain that analysts had expected, according to government data released last week. That will likely boost third-quarter growth even more, but take a toll on the current period as businesses work off the unsold goods.

The Institute for Supply Management's closely watched report on manufacturers told a similar story for October. ISM's survey, released earlier this month, showed that manufacturers were increasingly worried about customers' inventory levels, with stockpiles growing in a wide range of sectors, from plastics and rubber products to food and tobacco.

"The main source of concern at this point is how this inventory build will unwind in the fourth quarter," Merrill Lynch analyst David Rosenberg wrote in a note to clients.

Rosenberg estimated that revised third-quarter GDP data will show an extra $18 billion in inventory. An equal amount may be erased from the fourth quarter, which would take his GDP forecast "perilously close to flat, or even negative."

Ordinarily, an inventory build-up is seen as a temporary imbalance that the world's biggest economy can quickly digest. But with consumer confidence sliding and recession fears mounting, this inventory spike raises questions about demand.

Determining how the current episode will play out is tricky because economists have few tools to gauge how tightening credit will ultimately affect spending, said Douglas Lee, chief economist for research group Economics from Washington. Continued...

continues at: http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1246297620071112

LoungeMachine
11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
From Wiki.......

In macroeconomics, a Recession is a decline in any country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year. However, this definition is not universally accepted. The American National Bureau of Economic Research defines a recession more ambiguously as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months." A recession may involve simultaneous declines in coincident measures of overall economic activity such as employment, investment, and corporate profits. Recessions may be associated with falling prices (deflation), or, alternatively, sharply rising prices (inflation) in a process known as stagflation. A severe or long recession is referred to as an economic depression. A devastating breakdown of an economy is called economic collapse. Newspaper columnist Sidney J. Harris amusingly distinguished terms this way: a recession is when you lose your job; a depression is when I lose mine.

Market-oriented economies are characterized by economic cycles, but actual recessions (declines in economic activity) do not always result. There is much debate as to whether government intervention smoothes the cycle (see Keynesianism), exaggerates it (see Real business cycle theory), or even creates it (see monetarism).

[edit] Causes of recessions
The precise causes of recession are the subject of fierce debate among academics and policy makers although most would agree that recessions are caused by some combination of endogenous cyclical forces and exogenous shocks. For example, Keynesian economists and Real business cycle theorists would all disagree about the precise cause of the business cycle breakdown, but most would agree that purely exogenous factors like the price of oil, weather conditions, or a war could by themselves cause a temporary recession, or, conversely, short term economic growth. Keynes himself, however, pointed out that when interest rates get too little -- below about 2% -- then people no longer have an incentive to save, preferring to hold money for what he called transactions demands. If there are no savings, banks get no money with which to make loans, and it is this drying up of savings -- and loans -- that caused the regular business cycle to break down, according to Keynes. Austrian school economists hold that it is an inflation of the money supply that causes modern recessions and that recessions are positive forces in-so-much that they are the market's natural mechanism of undoing the misallocation of resources present during the boom or inflationary phase. Most monetarists believe that the cause of most recessions in the United States is this mishandling of the money supply, while an extreme change in the structure of the economy are responsible for very few.

Nickdfresh
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM
It's going to be a bad Xmas season for retailers...

FORD
11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Probably why the advertising onslaught began before fucking Halloween this year.

LoungeMachine
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Wal-Mart will clean up though....

What a mess this "administration" will be leaving.....

2 unfinished wars.....

perhaps a 3rd......

Recession

Unsecured borders, water, food, & nuclear sites.....

Can't help but think the next one in will be this century's Jimmy Carter.

Nickdfresh
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Probably why the advertising onslaught began before fucking Halloween this year.

And Halloween adverts began on August 1st...

Nitro Express
11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
All I know is the pre-tribulation rapture crowd are masturbating themselves silly.

LoungeMachine
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
All I know is the pre-tribulation rapture crowd are masturbating themselves silly.

Well why do they need to use up every stall?

:splooge:

Nitro Express
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Well if worse comes to worse, I can heat my house with the wood stove and we have plenty of game around here to eat. I have plenty of trees to burn, a well to drink from, something to eat and someone to fuck.

It will be get up early and split some fucking kindling and get the fucking fire instead of flipping a switch and turning a knob but heck, I need the exercise anyways.

I actually have an antique steam engine that I could run a generator off of but it would take a shit load of wood. Maybe I should buy those solar panels and windmill before it's too late! :D

BITEYOASS
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Maybe their will be some federal job openings for excecutioners in D.C. within a year. :D

Nitro Express
11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Maybe their will be some federal job openings for excecutioners in D.C. within a year. :D

Going to join the Nazi Party are you for the chicken in the pot? I'm either going to join Ford in Cascadia or die fighting as a rebel. :D

BITEYOASS
11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Going to join the Nazi Party are you for the chicken in the pot? I'm either going to join Ford in Cascadia or die fighting as a rebel. :D

I'm talking about when the neocon regime will get convicted, you nitwit! Someone has to fix them gallows and tie down the right wing radio jock and authors in order to make em' watch the whole event.