PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Forecasts and Displays Current Weather

Hardrock69
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
The recent Google Earth update introduced lots of new layers, but one extremely useful layer that passed under our radar (as it were) at first glance was the addition of a new weather layer. The layer includes radar information, current conditions, and forecasts pulled every 15 minutes from Weather.com and a cloud layer that updates hourly from the Naval Research Laboratory. So if you're already obsessed with Google Earth for its stargazing and live flight tracking features, now you've got one more use for the freeware, cross-platform atlas.

http://lifehacker.com/software/google-earth/google-earth-forecasts-and-displays-current-weather-322215.php

http://lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2007/11/google-earth-weather.png

FORD
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Pretty cool, and even more so that it's on the freeware version of Google Earth (not just the "Pro" edition) which means it should also work with Linux.

But it's a little much to pull all that up for just a quick update on the daily forecast. I'll stick with the "ForecastFox" extention on Firefox for that, and pull up Google Earth for the long range stuff, or if I want to catch the latest typhoon on the other side of the planet.

Hardrock69
11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah. I mean, it is one thing to want to have all things for all people, but they gotta beware of going overboard.

National Weather Service does me best anyway, when looking at large splotches of red and purple on the radar as solid water pours out of the sky, like happened today in Gnashville.

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Word has it Darth Cheney has cancelled all weather over his undisclosed location.

You know, National Security and all.....

:gulp:

Redballjets88
11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Earlier this week I was stopped at the gas station and parked next to the google car with the camera mounted on top, so I drove behind it for about 5 miles. In a couple weeks im gunna see if im on the video or not.

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
Earlier this week I was stopped at the gas station and parked next to the google car with the camera mounted on top, so I drove behind it for about 5 miles. In a couple weeks im gunna see if im on the video or not.

Your parents must be on cloud 9

Redballjets88
11-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Your parents must be on cloud 9

Actually i drove by a place called cloud 9 while following the google car.

FORD
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88

He was probably trying to sell Google's other latest technology to the gas station owners.

They're going to have gas pumps soon which will have Google Maps installed on them so you can get directions to whereever the Hell you're going.

Nice idea, but if the gas stations all buy new pumps to use it, you'll probably have to pay $5/gallon instead of "only" $4.

LoungeMachine
11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Nice idea, but if the gas stations all buy new pumps to use it, you'll probably have to pay $5/gallon instead of "only" $4.

Friends Of BushCO AKA Big Oil already heading there....

$5 gas will soon be "the good old days"

Hate America? Thank a Republican