PDA

View Full Version : KKKarl Rove Joins The Liberal Media - TELLS GOP TO RUN FROM BUSH

LoungeMachine
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Karl Rove's New Gig
A new job for the former Bush administration official. ( 1:16 PM ET) | (AP).

Less than three months after leaving the Bush White House, Karl Rove is becoming a member of a community not all that popular with administration officials: the media.

Newsweek has signed the president's former deputy chief of staff as a commentator who will turn out several columns on the 2008 campaign through inauguration day. The move is not likely to prove popular among liberals who believe the mainstream media have been too soft on the Bush administration.

"We want to give readers a feel for what it's like to be on the inside," says Newsweek Editor Jon Meacham. "Our readers are sophisticated enough to know that what they get from Karl has to be judged in the context of who Karl is...Readers will have to decide if he's simply an apologist."

Newsweek (which is owned by The Washington Post Co.) will announce tomorrow that it is granting regular space to both Rove and Markos Moulitsas, the liberal firebrand who founded the Web site Daily Kos. "I'm fully prepared for both the right-wing and left-wing blogosphere to be outraged, which means we're doing our job," Meacham says.

Rove, a longtime confidant of George W. Bush, rarely granted on-the-record interviews during his 6-1/2 years in the White House, and he wasn't shy about criticizing the press.

In a speech last year, Rove said that journalists often derided political professionals, perhaps because "they want to draw attention away from the corrosive role their coverage has played focusing attention on process and not substance." On another occasion, he said the press has an "obsessive reliance" on polls and that news organizations unfairly created the impression in 2001 that the president's No Child Left Behind bill was stalled in Congress.

Rove was a source in the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame for columnist Robert Novak and then-Time correspondent Matthew Cooper, and his repeated grand jury testimony in the case drew intensive coverage.

Often dubbed "Bush's Brain" or "The Architect," Rove received considerable credit for Republican victories in 2000, 2002 and 2004, and substantial blame for the GOP losing control of Congress last year.

He even bypassed the mainstream press in leaking his resignation to the Wall Street Journal editorial page. Rove said he ignored media criticism, telling Rush Limbaugh: "If you have to wake up in the morning to be validated by the editorial page of the New York Times, you've got a pretty sorry existence."

The movement of politicians and strategists into media roles was deemed controversial when the Times hired Nixon White House aide William Safire as a columnist in 1973, but has since become commonplace.

The Post and Newsweek hired Michael Gerson, Bush's chief speechwriter, as a columnist soon after he left the White House. George Stephanopoulos, now ABC's chief Washington correspondent, joined the network shortly after leaving the Clinton White House. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is a Fox News commentator, and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum just signed on as a Philadelphia Inquirer columnist.

Meacham says he contacted Rove the day he announced his resignation. He says Newsweek will insist on disclosing any fundraising or partisan activity on the part of Rove and Moulitsas.

"Love him or hate him, Karl Rove has been at the center of the American political story for the last few years," Meacham says.

--Howard Kurtz

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/15/karl_roves_new_gig.html

ODShowtime
11-16-2007, 08:13 AM
I'd prefer to see him die penniless, in the gutter.

BITEYOASS
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I'd prefer to see him die penniless, in the gutter.

And have his pimp kick the shit out of him also! Karl is such a manwhore. :D

Nickdfresh
11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Lounge - CLEAN OUT YOUR PMs!!!

Slacker, drunk on a week day. I know it's Friday Kip, and she was only 27...But Jesus. :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
LMAO

Done.

LoungeMachine
11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
MY 'Holy cow,' exclaims MSNBC host, Rove thinks Bush could sink GOP

Mike Aivaz and Jason Rhyne
Published: Tuesday November 20, 2007

Former chief Bush political strategist Karl Rove is telling GOP Oval Office seekers in 2008 to keep a safe distance from the man he helped to twice elect, according to MSNBC host Dan Abrams' interpretation of a recent opinion column penned by Rove.

"It sounds to me like Karl Rove is giving the Republican candidates advice that says 'get away from my guy,'" Abrams said of Rove's Saturday column in Newsweek, in which the the former adviser warned that President Bush's lagging poll numbers would do no favors for GOP presidential hopefuls in 2008. "Am I the only one who's reading Karl Rove and saying 'holy cow?'" the host asked later.

In the column, entitled "How to Beat Hillary (Next) November," Rove laid out a loose general election strategy to combat frontrunning Democratic presidential contender Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY).

"So show them who you are in a way that gives the American people hope, optimism and insight," he wrote to would-be Republican nominees. "That's the best antidote to the low approval rates of the Republican president Those numbers will not help the GOP candidate, just as the even lower approval ratings of the Congress will not help the Democratic standard-bearer."

Abrams said that the advice was a telling indicator about the state of the Republican Party.

"When you've got Karl Rove advising...the Republican candidates to effectively distance themselves from President Bush," remarked the host, "I think that tells you how much trouble President Bush, and possibly the Republicans, are in."

Guest pundit Pat Buchanan, himself a former adviser to President Richard Nixon, agreed with Abrams'assessment.

"[Bush] is a liability to the Republican candidate next year," said Buchanan. "I mean, Karl Rove is acting as a strategist here and he's saying exactly what I would say, which is once that convention gets going...move away from the president and the administration. Put distance between them and make Hillary Rodham Clinton the issue and don't let them make Bush the issue."

Buchanan added, however, that Bush would likely be glad to accept criticism from others in his party if it would aid the prospects of 2008 Republican candidates.

"Thats what guys say in the real business, I'll come in and criticize you if it'll help you out," added Buchanan. "If you want to help the party, I think Bush would say himself, 'move away from me.'"

Air America radio host Rachel Maddow, also a guest during the segment, said that what struck her most about the Newsweek piece was what she perceived as a lack of substance in the political advice offered.

"The most important thing about this article I think is not so much that Rove is telling the candidates to run away from Bush -- although that is funny," she said, adding later in the program that "Rove has no substantive advice to give to candidates other than to 'smile and pretend Bush doesn't exist.'"

The column also included Rove's urgings for the eventual Republican nominee to be "strong on Iraq," to talk about issues like "health care, the cost of college and social mobility," and to go after minority voters "who aren't traditional Republicans."

Read the full Rove column in Newsweek here.

The following video is from MSNBC's Abrams Report, broadcast on November 19, 2007
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Karl_Rove_to_Republican_candidates_Distance_1120.h tml

FORD
11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
"So show them who you are in a way that gives the American people hope, optimism and insight," he wrote to would-be Republican nominees. "That's the best antidote to the low approval rates of the Republican president Those numbers will not help the GOP candidate, just as the even lower approval ratings of the Congress will not help the Democratic standard-bearer."

As much as I hate to admit it, KKKarl makes a valid point here. Democrats in both houses have failed to stop the war and they have failed to stop the Chimp agenda to destroy American constitutional democracy. Of all the elected representatives currently running for the White House, only Dennis Kucinich can point to a clean voting record on those issues, and tragically, the odds of him winning aren't likely.

I really wish Al Gore understood this as well as KKKarl did. :(