PDA

View Full Version : What track lay the foundations for Thrash Metal?

katie
11-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I was listening to Motorhead 'Overkill' today

I was wondering if this was the 1st track that lead to Thrash Metal

This track came out in 1979, was there anything like it, before it?

bueno bob
11-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Probably a pretty good call. Wasn't Venom banging around about the same time? When it comes to the direct thrash instigators, I usually place most of credit/blame in their direction...

And are you going to e-mail me those tracks?!?!? :p

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm so glad this type of metal exists.

Mr Badguy
11-18-2007, 05:12 PM
How about "Exciter" by Judas Priest?

Those chugging riffs and fast double bass drums were unheard of in 1978.

binnie
11-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
How about "Exciter" by Judas Priest?

Those chugging riffs and fast double bass drums were unheard of in 1978.

That was the one I was going to mention. I would also say that Accept were also really influencial, especially with regard to writing songs around double boass drum patterns and duel guitar "chugging"!

I suppose that Venom were crucially important too, even if they were utter shite.

katie
11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by binnie
That was the one I was going to mention. I would also say that Accept were also really influencial, especially with regard to writing songs around double boass drum patterns and duel guitar "chugging"!

I suppose that Venom were crucially important too, even if they were utter shite.

I did think of Accept 'Fast as a shark' (Great double bass drum track) but that came out later in I think 1982

binnie
11-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by katie
I did think of Accept 'Fast as a shark' (Great double bass drum track) but that came out later in I think 1982

Yeah, it was '82. However, for me that really laid the groundwork, even more so than Priest. It's as close as you can get to thrash without actually being thrash.

Mr Badguy
11-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Don`t forget Sabbath.

"Black sabbath", "Children of the grave" and "Symptom of the universe" could have been influential for thrash, or at least some of the bands that would influence it more.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I would probably say either "Overkill" by Motörhead or, as Badguy said..."Exciter" by Judas Priest. Probably the former. Although "Exciter" was fast with the double bass-drum an' all, "Overkill" was HEAVY AND FAST...much more extreme than "Exciter"...and sounds very similar to what the thrash bands started doing...

binnie
11-19-2007, 04:49 PM
On a side note, Thrash is having a bit of a revival at the moment. Lots of knew bands are bringing it back.

Not sporting too many bullet-belts though :D

Panamark
11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I reckon Sabbath..

Although Im sure there is an obscure band like Blue Cheer or
something that somebody else will chime in with...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by binnie

I suppose that Venom were crucially important too, even if they were shit.

A few of their albums are pretty fun.

Diamondjimi
11-27-2007, 01:32 AM
1971-"Fireball - Deep Purple

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CyX5LjuxLec&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CyX5LjuxLec&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:killer:

binnie
11-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I reckon Sabbath..

Although Im sure there is an obscure band like Blue Cheer or
something that somebody else will chime in with...

Blue Cheer! :D

I'm sure that there are plenty of bands who influenced thrash: Sabbath, Purple, Motorhead, NWOBHM. But to my ears the closest thing to thrash without being thrash is either "Exciter" by Priest or early Accept. That's where the "groundwork" truly is I think...