PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Aussie Buddy Shot Down In Flames

LoungeMachine
11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
Australian Premier, an Ally of Bush, Is Defeated

By TIM JOHNSTON
Published: November 25, 2007

SYDNEY, Australia, Nov. 24 — Australia’s prime minister, John Howard, one of President Bush’s staunchest allies in Asia, suffered a comprehensive defeat at the hands of the electorate on Saturday, as his Liberal Party-led coalition lost its majority in Parliament.

Prime Minister John Howard conceded defeat.
He will be replaced by Kevin Rudd, the Labor Party leader and a former diplomat. “Today Australia looks to the future,” Mr. Rudd told a cheering crowd in his home state, Queensland. “Today the Australian people have decided that we as a nation will move forward.”

Mr. Howard’s defeat, after 11 years in power, follows that of José María Aznar of Spain, who also backed the United States-led invasion of Iraq, and political setbacks for Tony Blair, who stepped down as Britain’s prime minister in June.

Mr. Howard conceded nearly two hours after the last polling booths closed in the west of the country.

“A few moments ago I telephoned Mr. Kevin Rudd and I congratulated him and the Australian Labor Party on a very emphatic victory,” Mr. Howard told a room of emotional supporters.

“I leave the office of prime minister with our country prouder, stronger and more prosperous than ever,” he said.

Returns for a small number of seats are yet to be compiled, but analysts estimate that over all the Labor Party gained 28 seats to win a comfortable 22-seat majority in the 150-seat lower house of Parliament, where governments are formed. Official results are expected within the next day or two.

Mr. Howard may suffer the indignity of losing his own seat, representing a district on Sydney’s north shore, which he has held for 33 years, to a former television anchor and rookie politician. He would be the first sitting prime minister to lose his seat since 1929.

It was a bruising campaign, and the Liberal Party has said it will challenge some results on the grounds that the Labor candidates had broken electoral law by failing to resign from government jobs before running for office. The Labor Party said it had broken no laws.

Mr. Rudd, 50, campaigned on a platform of new leadership to address broad concerns about the environment, health and education. He has said his first acts as prime minister would include pushing for the ratification of the Kyoto agreement on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and negotiating the withdrawal of Australia’s 500 troops from Iraq.

Analysts said the leadership change was unlikely to bring a radically new foreign policy, although they expected a shift in emphasis in the relationship with the United States, Australia’s closest ally. “Australia will remain a close ally of the United States, and Rudd remains committed to the alliance,” said Michael Fullilove, of the Lowy Institute for International Policy in Sydney. But he noted that “if there is a Democratic administration elected next year, to some extent they would become closer.”

Mr. Howard has a strong personal relationship with Mr. Bush that is based on a similar socially conservative philosophy and a shared outlook on terrorism.

Australian opinion polls have shown that although Australians remain strong supporters of the so-called Anzus alliance — the security pact among Australia, New Zealand and the United States — they do not approve of Mr. Bush or the Iraq war.

The attempts by Mr. Howard’s coalition to stress its economic record apparently failed to impress voters. The Australian economy has had 17 years of continuous growth, lately driven by Chinese demand for Australian iron ore and coal. Mr. Howard had warned voters that a Labor victory would endanger the country’s prosperity.

Despite the coalition campaign, there was little distance between the parties on economic policy, and the defining characteristics came down to the personalities of the leaders. Mr. Howard was running for a fifth term, and many voters said they were ready for a change.

“Howard is out of touch,” said Mark Pana, 52 and a devoted David Lee Roth Fan, who voted in eastern Sydney on Saturday morning. “It’s the arrogance of being in power for too long — he hasn’t been listening.”

If Australia’s strongest military and political alliance is with Washington, the fuel for its economy is coming from China. Mr. Fullilove says Mr. Rudd’s ability to manage the relationship among Canberra, Washington and Beijing will be crucial.

Mr. Rudd, 18 years younger than Mr. Howard, has a reputation as a cerebral student of policy, as opposed to the Liberal leader’s image of a hardened and aggressive political animal.

“He seems more personable, approachable. He doesn’t seem arrogant — yet — and I have respect for him,” said Marcelle Freiman, who voted for Mr. Rudd in eastern Sydney on Saturday.

Mr. Rudd’s dry image was altered by the news that he had visited a strip club during a trip to New York in 2003.

He was a diplomat in Beijing and speaks Mandarin. He impressed many with a fluent address to President Hu Jintao of China when Mr. Hu visited Australia in September.

Mr. Fullilove said Mr. Rudd’s experience regarding China was unlikely to make a significant difference to Australia’s relationship with the United States. “I would counsel against people assuming that because Kevin Rudd speaks Mandarin there would be a big rebalancing of the relationship in favor of Beijing,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/world/asia/25australia.html?em&ex=1196139600&en=326be8a85f95cd58&ei=5087%0A

Dan
11-25-2007, 01:31 AM
This Is Great News.

Grant
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I was disappointed with the result. Both sides to be honest were fairly pathetic but I thought Howard, and later Costello as transition to PM, were the better candidates. I like Rudd but I don't think he can manage the economy better than the Libs did. And his team is filled with a bunch of dimwits, and that includes Peter Garrett.

The Liberal campaign, to their own fault, was pretty mediocre. They had it coming with the workchoices policy and their failure to address climate change. Another problem is that Costello comes across as too arrogant in the media which would've affected many voters. And then there was Iraq.

I'm already bracing for a huge interest rate rise under Rudd so I hope he can make me eat my own words.

On the brightside the media is gonna have a field day with his "Harry Potter" persona.

Dan
11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Grant
I was disappointed with the result. Both sides to be honest were fairly pathetic but I thought Howard, and later Costello as transition to PM, were the better candidates. I like Rudd but I don't think he can manage the economy better than the Libs did. And his team is filled with a bunch of dimwits, and that includes Peter Garrett.

The Liberal campaign, to their own fault, was pretty mediocre. They had it coming with the workchoices policy and their failure to address climate change. Another problem is that Costello comes across as too arrogant in the media which would've affected many voters. And then there was Iraq.

I'm already bracing for a huge interest rate rise under Rudd so I hope he can make me eat my own words.

On the brightside the media is gonna have a field day with his "Harry Potter" persona.

Grant,If It Gets Really Bad You Could Always Move Down Here.:)

BTW...Happy Birthday.:D

Grant
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Dan
Grant,If It Gets Really Bad You Could Always Move Down Here.:)

BTW...Happy Birthday.:D

Cheers big-ears and both counts! As long as I don't get stampeded on by a herd of sheep and under-arm bowling is allowed in a local game of cricket, then I'll consider it. :D

Still got a few more days to get through till it's my birthday, mate. :)

FORD
11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Phil Rudd is the Australian PM now?

Cool. Bon would be proud!!

Grant
11-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Phil Rudd is the Australian PM now?

Cool. Bon would be proud!!

LOL! I wish that were the case. :D

Panamark
11-26-2007, 06:29 AM
We got it wrong this time. BIGTIME

Aussie economy has never been better, so
what do we do ??? Vote out the management ???

Fuck that..

Grant
11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey Panamark, well it was typical of those Queenslanders for handing so many seats to the Labour party. Sure the Howard Government, like any government, isn't perfect but are we really to expect miracles for this country under an inexperienced Mr Rudd? And God help us should he decide to retire, or pull a Latham and resign due to illness (remember he's suppose to have kidney problems), and then hand the leadership to Julia Gillard.

I hope these next 2-3 years passes quickly, and I'm hoping for Malcolm Turnbull as PM in 2010.

Grant
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Actually, it might be heart problems that Rudd has/had.

Dan
11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
We Are Just Three Hours Away By Plane Guys.:D

Panamark
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey Panamark, well it was typical of those Queenslanders for handing so many seats to the Labour party. Sure the Howard Government, like any government, isn't perfect but are we really to expect miracles for this country under an inexperienced Mr Rudd? And God help us should he decide to retire, or pull a Latham and resign due to illness (remember he's suppose to have kidney problems), and then hand the leadership to Julia Gillard.

I hope these next 2-3 years passes quickly, and I'm hoping for Malcolm Turnbull as PM in 2010.

Hey Grant..

Its encouraging to hear your viewpoint considering you
are considerably younger than me..
I will always vote for the most competent economic managers,
I own my own company, and thats whats important to me.

Im old enough to remember my parents blowing all their
weekly money on interest only (Interest rates at 18%)
and not even making a dent in the principal. I remember
the highest youth unemployment with every labour government,
and lastly the crippling power it hands to the unions who
bring the country to its knees eveytime they want
a new coffee break allowance.....

I hope Krudd proves me wrong, otherwise we will be back
in the same shit pile keating left us in...

I guess the only good thing is that the old government
has everything in such good shape, labour can fuck
up a few things and we will probably be ok.. But you
cant let em go a second term, thats when we normally
hit recession.

DAN THE MAN !!!

Maybe you can convince Krudd to build a cross tasman
bridge, then we can just drive over :D

Dan
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Panamark

DAN THE MAN !!!

Maybe you can convince Krudd to build a cross tasman
bridge, then we can just drive over :D

Mark,Maybe A Kiwi Flying-Fox With Do You.:D

LoungeMachine
11-27-2007, 12:12 AM
So...

NOBODY actually read the article I posted?????

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
11-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

“Howard is out of touch,” said Mark Pana, 52 and a devoted David Lee Roth Fan, who voted in eastern Sydney on Saturday morning. “It’s the arrogance of being in power for too long — he hasn’t been listening.”

This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system.

This was only a test.

Had this been an actual emergency, the copy that was changed would have given you clues as to where to hide when the bombings begin.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Forum.

Panamark
11-27-2007, 01:59 AM

This was only a test.

Had this been an actual emergency, the copy that was changed would have given you clues as to where to hide when the bombings begin.

I saw your first post and thought it was a cut and past
news article, Im so pissed off at this result that I didnt
want to read about it all again...

Mark Pana 52 ???

Loungie, you have me about 15 years older than I
really am, you are older than me ya decrepid old bastard !
Also I live in Sydney's North-west...

Bush is the only one left now, huh...

(But not for long !)

Panamark
11-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Dude, is that article real ???
Or did you mess with the name
Ya funny bugger ! :D

If you didnt, thats really funny...

If you did, thats really funny... :p

LoungeMachine
11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
The entire article is real, check the linky...

I just changed the guy's name, and added the DLR Fan ;)

He was already 52.

You'll be there shortly, so what the hell....

Grant
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey Grant..

Its encouraging to hear your viewpoint considering you
are considerably younger than me..
I will always vote for the most competent economic managers,
I own my own company, and thats whats important to me.

Im old enough to remember my parents blowing all their
weekly money on interest only (Interest rates at 18%)
and not even making a dent in the principal. I remember
the highest youth unemployment with every labour government,
and lastly the crippling power it hands to the unions who
bring the country to its knees eveytime they want
a new coffee break allowance.....

I hope Krudd proves me wrong, otherwise we will be back
in the same shit pile keating left us in...

I guess the only good thing is that the old government
has everything in such good shape, labour can fuck
up a few things and we will probably be ok.. But you
cant let em go a second term, thats when we normally
hit recession.

I hear ya mate and thanks for the props!

My mum told me on the election day that my older sister was struggling to the bone to buy a new home under the Keating era, and it makes me wonder why people are complaining about interest rates now? It's gonna be depressing if we have to return to that shithole. And Keating just had to shoot his mouth off after the result. Does anybody anymore really gives a rat's arse about him? He should be exiled somewhere far far away. BTW, Panamark, I work in the medical indemnity malpractice field and one of the top guys I work with used to be the Vice President of NSW Liberal Party many years ago and worked with Nick Greiner, and he told me that Costello is actually a top bloke when you meet him in person but comes across as arrogant in the media.

Mr John Winston Howard, Australia's greatest Prime Minister since Sir Robert Menzies, I salute you! Many thanks for your great contributions to this country over the past 11 years. You will be missed.

Grant
11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

This was only a test.

I saw that and figured it was thrown in for a laugh, because anyone who is from Sydney eastern suburbs is a total arsehead. :D

BTW, Panamark, I'm from southern Sydney near Hurstville.

Dan
11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I Know A Lady From Sydney Who Can Take It Up To Her Kidney.:D

Panamark
11-28-2007, 03:16 AM
I saw that and figured it was thrown in for a laugh, because anyone who is from Sydney eastern suburbs is a total arsehead. :D

BTW, Panamark, I'm from southern Sydney near Hurstville.

Hey Grant,

Im up north/west in Baulkham Hills :)

I dont mind the Sutherland Shire Grant, I've done
a lot of work down that way. If you are a punter,
you would have seen some of my work..

Hey, notice Krudd and labour have only been in power
for 3 days and already we have a huge Qantas union strike
scheduled for the new year :) WOW ! what a surprise...

So you do "medical indemnity malpractice " geez, I bet you
have some interesting stories there.. Bloody doctors misplacing
car keys in abdominal cavities, "oops dont throw that away,
we might need to put it back in later" :D

You must be taking more than a little interest in the recent
win by Bernie Banton ...

Cheers,

-Mark

Panamark
11-28-2007, 03:16 AM
The entire article is real, check the linky...

I just changed the guy's name, and added the DLR Fan ;)

He was already 52.

You'll be there shortly, so what the hell....

Not as shortly as you ;)

Grant
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Grant,

Im up north/west in Baulkham Hills :)

I dont mind the Sutherland Shire Grant, I've done
a lot of work down that way. If you are a punter,
you would have seen some of my work..

Hey, notice Krudd and labour have only been in power
for 3 days and already we have a huge Qantas union strike
scheduled for the new year :) WOW ! what a surprise...

So you do "medical indemnity malpractice " geez, I bet you
have some interesting stories there.. Bloody doctors misplacing
car keys in abdominal cavities, "oops dont throw that away,
we might need to put it back in later" :D

You must be taking more than a little interest in the recent
win by Bernie Banton ...

Cheers,

-Mark

Yeah mate, I tend to hang out at Cronulla beach in the summer. I was actually suppose to go there on the day the riots occurred 2 years ago, but not with the intention to cause a ruckuss. :) I just so happened to be down there last Sunday and someone had already defaced a Rudd campaign picture. But I'm actually born and bred from the St George area.

I am a punter from time to time. Next time I put a bet on the Shire, I'll try and work out the line of work you actually do. :)

Late night Triple M are now talking about the Election hangover and the asking callers if they "would like to take their vote back" or if there is any "regrets". I don't mind Rudd but certainly don't think he can do a better job than the Libs, but it's cringe-worthy to see Gillard by his side everywhere with nothing but revolting smirks.

I don't really get see the claims side of things when doctors get busted, but yeah on the occasion I do hear a fair share of stories. In fact, I've spoken with some of them who do end up going under investigation and who are often punished by a scrutinising media. Will PM some details.

Actually, I wouldn't think the Bernie Banton case - RIP - is an issue for our field entirely since his complaint was against the company James Hardie, and not an individual healthcare practitioner/s or practice. But I still find stories like that always interesting.

Cheers.

- Grant

Grant
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dan
I Know A Lady From Sydney Who Can Take It Up To Her Kidney.:D

Can I have her number? :D

Dan
11-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Can I have her number? :D

I Wish I Did.:)