PDA

View Full Version : I can't afford Jack Daniels...

brianjayy
11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
As Vito Corleone found he enjoyed wine more as he grew older, I've found myself acquiring a taste for Kentucky whiskey again. I drank so much Jack around my high school years that I couldn't stand the smell of it for quite a while...but some beers and a shot or two of Kentucky have been goin' down good as of late...I know Jack's the best, but it's so friggin' expensive. Jim Beam's half the price. What other brands are palatable, and aren't a waste of money?...

naturochem
11-30-2007, 12:06 AM
It's the holiday's... try Jack Daniel's Single Barrel for a truly unique experience... Every barrel sports a uniquely subtle taste difference, and bears a neckband with its rick, barrel number and individual bottling date.

The dark amber colored whiskey, though priced even higher than #7, or even Gentleman Jack, is worthy of special occasions for some, and a true requirement for others!!

http://www.jdsinglebarrel.com/images/du_left.jpg

Dan
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Heaven Hill.:)

Sweeter Than Jim Beam And Goes Down Like Water.:D

jslav06
11-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Carstairs, Wilson's, Or Evan Williams. Anything that cost less than ten dollars. Add to coke, and you'll never know the difference.

naturochem
11-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Adding anything more than ice to good whiskey is sacrilege...

naturochem
11-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by jslav06
Carstairs, Wilson's, Or Evan Williams. Anything that cost less than ten dollars.
Per shot..?

sadaist
11-30-2007, 01:31 AM
JIM BEAM!

Smoother than Jack at a better price. Best when straight from the bottle in a shot glass at room temperature. (I hate my whiskey chilled, it waters it down)

None genuine without my signature...James Beam

sadaist
11-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by naturochem
Adding anything more than ice to good whiskey is sacrilege...

Can I get an Amen?

Nitro Express
11-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Jim Beam Choice! Smoother than Jack and more flavor than regular Jim Beam. It's almost half the price of Old Number 7 Jack and superior to it. I do believe Jim Beam Choice is charcol filtered.

For the best cheap burbon I give the award to Ancient Age. Evan Williams isn't bad either. Both straight shoot just fine.

Dan
11-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Can I get an A Man?

:D

naturochem
11-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Jim Beam Choice! Smoother than Jack and more flavor than regular Jim Beam. It's almost half the price of Old Number 7 Jack and superior to it. I do believe Jim Beam Choice is charcol filtered.

I worked in a distillery in high school (w/ a slight age embellishment..), in fact we used to bottle Everclear, 190 proof grain alcohol (now illegal in CA).

The "Charcol mellowed" process was a crack up, we'd roll a barrel up the ramp, pull the center cork & dump the barrel through a screen containing large chunks of charcol... and with that, whiskey earned the right to include "charcol filtered/mellowed.." on the label...

I'm relatively certain the Lem Motlow family & the good folks in Lynchberg go about the "charcol mellowing" process using slightly more sophsticated methodology in the distilling of anything from the "Jack" factory...

I also like good really clean Vodka, but there's nothing like true aged, properly distilled Sour Mash Tennesee Whiskey, & IMO no mass marketed company even comes close to Jack Daniels...

Panamark
11-30-2007, 03:23 AM
I used to drink my Jack neat...

Or if in the middle of an Aussie Summer, you had to
add ice. We have really pure water, yet still it seems
wrong.. Necessary Evil, I love Jack, but not physically warm....

I dont drink it these days, sadly its a past wonderful
memory. Great stuff. I did enjoy Jim Bean too, Beam's
Choice Green label would seem a good alternative..

For something different (and maybe its cheaper in the US)
try some Drambui... Scotch Whiskey Liqueor...
Really nice to drink straight up...

Nitro Express
11-30-2007, 04:57 AM
I worked in a distillery in high school (w/ a slight age embellishment..), in fact we used to bottle Everclear, 190 proof grain alcohol (now illegal in CA).

The "Charcol mellowed" process was a crack up, we'd roll a barrel up the ramp, pull the center cork & dump the barrel through a screen containing large chunks of charcol... and with that, whiskey earned the right to include "charcol filtered/mellowed.." on the label...

I'm relatively certain the Lem Motlow family & the good folks in Lynchberg go about the "charcol mellowing" process using slightly more sophsticated methodology in the distilling of anything from the "Jack" factory...

I also like good really clean Vodka, but there's nothing like true aged, properly distilled Sour Mash Tennesee Whiskey, & IMO no mass marketed company even comes close to Jack Daniels...

Jack Daniels is owned by Brown-Forman. A large publicly traded corporation. Jim Beam is owned by Master Brands that also owns Moen Faucet, Master Cabinets, and Titlest Golf.

Nitro Express
11-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Anyone that thinks Jack Daniel's is some little distillery in Lynchberg Tenn. and independently owned might be interesting in who really owns Jack Daniel's and what other brands of hooch are in the family.

http://www.brown-forman.com/

binnie
11-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I've never thought that Jack was particuarly expensive, but given that lacohol is far more expensive in the UK anyway maybe it's all relative.

Jim Bean is a good substitute. Fuck it, any whiskey is good.

God I miss drinking....

Little Lamont
11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
I like Early Times if you're looking to save money. They make the mint jupeps out of that at the Kentucky Derby. I had one. Loved it.

brianjayy
11-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, I've been shooting the Jim Beam, 'cause like I said earlier, it is literally half the price of Jack. Then after talking to a friend, I did a little Googling and decided to try some other brands...I just bought a 1.75 of Old Crow for $16.24 (Jim Beam owns and bottles it, and several reviews said it was similar, if not the same, as Beam White label.) It's not the same (a tad harsher going down), but it is very similar. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised as it wasn't bad at all...

Here are a few price differences between 1.75 liters, to show my point, for those who don't know this already...

Old Crow, 1.75 liter, about $16

Jim Beam White Label, 1.75 liter, about $24

Jack Daniel's Black Label, 1.75 liter, about $50!!!

The quest continues...

BITEYOASS
11-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by brianjayy
Well, I've been shooting the Jim Beam, 'cause like I said earlier, it is literally half the price of Jack. Then after talking to a friend, I did a little Googling and decided to try some other brands...I just bought a 1.75 of Old Crow for $16.24 (Jim Beam owns and bottles it, and several reviews said it was similar, if not the same, as Beam White label.) It's not the same (a tad harsher going down), but it is very similar. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised as it wasn't bad at all...

Here are a few price differences between 1.75 liters, to show my point, for those who don't know this already...

The quest continues...

Let me guess, the Old Crow was in a plastic bottle? Using that material for a fuckin container should be illegal for any hard liquor, GLASS ONLY!! <rant off>

col5150
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jslav06
Carstairs, Wilson's, Or Evan Williams. Anything that cost less than ten dollars. Add to coke, and you'll never know the difference.

I had to laugh when i read that as 'Carstairs' is the name of what the goverment refer to as a 'secure psychiatric hospital' near Glasgow in Scotland . not too far from where i live

Maybe they should put on the label brewed by mentalists

jslav06
11-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Per shot..?

Haha oh no. Per liter.

jslav06
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by col5150
I had to laugh when i read that as 'Carstairs' is the name of what the goverment refer to as a 'secure psychiatric hospital' near Glasgow in Scotland . not too far from where i live

Maybe they should put on the label brewed by mentalists

I'll have to look at a bottle and see where it's brewed out of. It wouldn't surprise me if it was brewed by mentalists.

thome
11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
JD lowered thier Alck by vol level five or six years ago to make it prittier to the masses .........fags!!!!

It's not even JD anymore ding dong hello!!!!

Is this thing on...?

thome
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
How did I first notice you say well, I drank it all day long several years ago got in -0- bar fights, wild indian blind I was not, came home not in need of stiching and woke up at home instead of in front of judge judy that frakkin plastic surgery face whore!!!!

I knew something wasn't just rite....???

Got I could tell that bitch off if JD was Still Proof Propper!!!!

thome
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
It is still good whiskey .

Judge Judy wants my MEAT!

I could tell her that but The Whiskey just wasn't workin anymore..

Wrote a song about it here how it go....That will start a bar fight right there but my singing is not in question...

JUDGE JUDY GAVE ME THE CHAIR!!!!

Good Times....

Nitro Express
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Let me guess, the Old Crow was in a plastic bottle? Using that material for a fuckin container should be illegal for any hard liquor, GLASS ONLY!! <rant off>

I agree. Plastic leaches chemicals into it. Drink out of a pastic bottle of water that has been heated in a hot car. The water tastes like the plastic.

blonddgirl777
11-30-2007, 09:54 PM
The other day at the VH concert, my husband brought some Vodka that I've put in a plastic water bottle...
He didn't drink it all and let the rest in the car (my car)...
2 days later, I was driving and it was getting hot, my mouth was dry and I got really thursty all of a sudden...
So I grabbed the botthe (with Vodka in it) and took a big sip (too fast to smell anything)...

I almost died! Really!!!
Let alone the fact that I had been driving with an open container of liqueur right next to me... with my kid...
Totally Britney! :rolleyes:

L.O.L.

Nitro Express
12-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
The other day at the VH concert, my husband brought some Vodka that I've put in a plastic water bottle...
He didn't drink it all and let the rest in the car (my car)...
2 days later, I was driving and it was getting hot, my mouth was dry and I got really thursty all of a sudden...
So I grabbed the botthe (with Vodka in it) and took a big sip (too fast to smell anything)...

I almost died! Really!!!
Let alone the fact that I had been driving with an open container of liqueur right next to me... with my kid...
Totally Britney! :rolleyes:

L.O.L.

Reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie where Chong chugs the Judge's water and spits it out and goes,"That's fucking vodka man!" :D

Tottaly Britney. LOL!

Dan
12-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Get On The Net And Make Your Own.:D

naturochem
12-01-2007, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by thome
JD lowered thier Alck by vol level five or six years ago to make it prittier to the masses .........fags!!!!

It's not even JD anymore ding dong hello!!!!

Is this thing on...?
That's why I drink Single Barrel...

And you can get your very own, unique, full barrel (apx 240 bottles..) of select J.D. Single Barrel as well, for the meager price of ~$8400.00... (http://www.jdsinglebarrel.com/unique.htm)

naturochem
12-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie where Chong chugs the Judge's water and spits it out and goes,"That's fucking vodka man!" :D

Tottaly Britney. LOL!
Or after Cheech jams his face in, & whiff's a massive blast from that giant bag of supposed blow in the car, & Chong hands him the container of his sisters piss, which he then guzzle's..!!
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

naturochem
12-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
I like Early Times if you're looking to save money. They make the mint jupeps out of that at the Kentucky Derby. I had one. Loved it.
On my sole trip to the Kentucky Derby, I sucked down a load of Woodford Reserve (also operated by Brown-Forman at one time..), which is the supposed "Official Bourbon" of the Derby as well as the Bredders' cup.

Although the taste is not quite up to the premium Jack, at 90.4 proof, it's probably the smoothest whiskey (actually bourbon whiskey) I've ever tasted -- with the "e", that is... "Scotch whisky" drops the e.

The original operator of the Kentucky distillery, located in the heart of the horse farming country, was actually credited with developing the science of sour-mash fermenting in 1812...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Derby_bottle_2005.jpg

blonddgirl777
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Tottaly Britney. LOL!

Except, I didn't get to spit it out... it was impossible.
At 120 Kilometers/H on the freeway... I fuck'n swallowed it and drove with the buzz (it was morning, before breakfast)...
Of course, I did slow down!

"No, no, officer... that's not booze you're smelling in my breath, it's just mouthwash"! :eek:
"O.K., please step out of the car..."
Then...
"Well... it's not my fault... I swear... I didn't want to drink it... I HAD TO..."!
"You have the right to remain silent...":mad:

B.T.W., our alchool tolerence just went from 0.08 to 0.05... that means 1 glass of wine (max. 13% alchool/vol.) for an average size woman and 2 for men... Merry X-Mas and have fun partying! :rolleyes:

Yet, we still have WAY too many people dying on the roads every years, due to alchool...:(

blonddgirl777
12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I absolutely LOVE Cheech & Chong... It would have been so much fun to smoke a bowl with them!

Anonymous
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
That's why I drink Single Barrel...

And you can get your very own, unique, full barrel (apx 240 bottles..) of select J.D. Single Barrel as well, for the meager price of ~$8400.00... (http://www.jdsinglebarrel.com/unique.htm)

This is why I hate not being filthy rich.

Dammit!

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
12-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Yet, we still have WAY too many people dying on the roads every years, due to alchool...:(

You'd be surprised at how low that percentage really is...

Cheers! :bottle:

Eddie's Booze
12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
As Vito Corleone found he enjoyed wine more as he grew older, I've found myself acquiring a taste for Kentucky whiskey again. I drank so much Jack around my high school years that I couldn't stand the smell of it for quite a while...but some beers and a shot or two of Kentucky have been goin' down good as of late...I know Jack's the best, but it's so friggin' expensive. Jim Beam's half the price. What other brands are palatable, and aren't a waste of money?...

I hardly ever drink anymore. Jack Daniel's is piss water.

When I did drink(and was drinking Whiskey) I drank Bushmills.

Matt White
12-02-2007, 12:42 PM

DRINK JACK DANIELS BLACK LABEL:mad:

Everything else is like Van Hagar...DISPOSABLE

Antman
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM

The quest continues...

Old Crow-that was the stuff Beavis & Butthead's principal McVicker used to keep in his desk! I thought it was made up until I saw it in my local pub years ago right next to another cheap ass but surprisingly good concoction called Kentucky Tavern.

Nitro Express
12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I absolutely LOVE Cheech & Chong... It would have been so much fun to smoke a bowl with them!

Cheech Marin and Don Johnson own a Vietmese-French resturaunt at Ghiradelli Square in San Fransisco that is awsome! Real different dishes.

binnie
12-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
DRINK JACK DANIELS BLACK LABEL:mad:

Everything else is like Van Hagar...DISPOSABLE

The man speaks the truth.

naturochem
12-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Cheech Marin and Don Johnson own a Vietmese-French resturaunt at Ghiradelli Square in San Fransisco that is awsome! Real different dishes.
Ana Mandara... been there once -- interesting place, certainly novel and critically acclaimed, but I feel "bizarre" is a more appropriate description...

Of course, I'm more of a 'Ruth's Chris' type of dude...

Hey, they do pour a mean fuckin "Jack" High ball, though!!
:gulp:

blonddgirl777
12-03-2007, 11:02 AM

Too bad I didn't know about that then... I would have certainly gone!
"Vietmese-French" cuisine... interesting...

blonddgirl777
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
... I'm more of a 'Ruth's Chris' type of dude...

Along highway 5, about 1/2 way to L-A, there is this huge steak house that is attached to a slaughter house (a big one). The place has an elicopter ring and a small plane landing strip for the visitors... If I remember, it's called Harris or Harras...

We went there once... :o
Of course I couldn't find anything interesting on the menu but all the carnivores had this humongous (bloody) steak with 2 eggs, potatos and all... My husband sais he will never forget that steak... it is apparently, legendary!

Have you been there?

NATEDOG001976
12-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Beer is all you need!!!!

Seshmeister
12-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I used to drink my Jack neat...

Or if in the middle of an Aussie Summer, you had to
add ice. We have really pure water, yet still it seems
wrong.. Necessary Evil, I love Jack, but not physically warm....

I dont drink it these days, sadly its a past wonderful
memory. Great stuff. I did enjoy Jim Bean too, Beam's
Choice Green label would seem a good alternative..

For something different (and maybe its cheaper in the US)
try some Drambui... Scotch Whiskey Liqueor...
Really nice to drink straight up...

Drambuie?

That's a sweet drink for your old Aunt at a wedding...:)

Jack Daniels like Bacardi is a marketing trick. Bacardi is just about the shittiest rum in the world and Jack whilst having some cool marketing thing going on is a pretty shit bourbon.

I'm not a big bourbon drinker these days but Makers Mark is much better.

If you are going to drink a whisky you should be drinking a single malt from Scotland, my favourite is Highland Park.

Cheers!

Seshmeister
12-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I've never thought that Jack was particuarly expensive, but given that lacohol is far more expensive in the UK anyway maybe it's all relative.

Jack gets an £8 or so import duty. Add the VAT and the excise duty and basically its all tax. It would be like buying Buckie for $20 a bottle in the US.

NATEDOG001976
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Beer! Beer! Beer!

Baby's On Fire
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Jack Daniel's is football stadium communal toilet water.

Crown Royal is exactly twice the price,.....and for good reason.

PETE'S BROTHER
12-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Drambuie?

Jack Daniels like Bacardi is a marketing trick. Bacardi is just about the shittiest rum in the world and Jack whilst having some cool marketing thing going on is a pretty shit bourbon.

If you are going to drink a whisky you should be drinking a single malt from Scotland, my favourite is Highland Park.

Cheers!

macallan, from speyside. oooh, good stuff

PETE'S BROTHER
12-08-2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.martinirevolution.com/category/jack-daniels/

sorry if this is already posted here

Douglas T.
12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been told Crown on the rocks makes me damn entertaining at karaoke!

naturochem
12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
Jack Daniel's is football stadium communal toilet water.

Crown Royal is exactly twice the price,.....and for good reason.
This, from an obvious connoisseur of fine whiskies... :rolleyes:

Comparing J.D. to Crown is akin to comparing an Opus One Cabernet to a bottle of fucking Cristal...
(& I certainly AIN'T a fuckin wine drinker!!)

Only a true moron would make such a comparison....

naturochem
12-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Along highway 5, about 1/2 way to L-A, there is this huge steak house that is attached to a slaughter house (a big one). The place has an elicopter ring and a small plane landing strip for the visitors... If I remember, it's called Harris or Harras...

We went there once... :o
Of course I couldn't find anything interesting on the menu but all the carnivores had this humongous (bloody) steak with 2 eggs, potatos and all... My husband sais he will never forget that steak... it is apparently, legendary!

Have you been there?

ahhhh yes... The Harris' Ranch Steakhouse. A virtual oasis, nearly exactly 1/2 way between LA & the bay area... You can spot the palm trees & air strip coming over a certain hill on I-5, and the places seems to beckon weary travelers on the 1/2 day trip between northern & southern calif.

I have stopped several times while on motorcycle runs, and, for California raised beef, there is probably no better -- believe I paid somewhere around 40 bucks for a steak, which was indeed quite large, but IMO didn't come close to the aged, mid-western quality/preparation I've come to find at Ruth's the world over... Excepting the Hawai'i locations (both Maui locations left something to be desired..), it's amazing that a franchise can be so consistent in their quality!!

Most locations also serve a mega high-ball of Jack Single Barrel !! http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif

brian12069
12-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Drambuie?

Cheers!

Jack Daniel's isn't bourbon.

naturochem
12-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Drambuie?

Cheers!

"Whisky" (no "e") would need to be single malt or blended (aka "vatted") Scotch. "Whisk-e-y" is an altogether different animal...

I prefer it with the "e", however I've been known to hit the Scotch occasionally.

When it comes to single-malt's, I prefer the Speyside Single Malts to the Highland variety -- in particular, "Glenfiddich 30" or "The Macallan 25 or 30yr" ..but only if others are buying!!

They have an extensive Scotch bar at StripSteak, Michael Mina’s restaurant at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas... A friend who had hit it pretty big was buying us shot's of Balvenie 1971 single cask at $150 a pour... They also had some highly rate Kinclaith 36-year-old, for the real high-rollers which was $415 a dram (two ounce shot). :eek:

To be honest, I prefer the flavor & taste of Single Barrel to any Scotch, irrespective of the price...

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
I hardly ever drink anymore. Jack Daniel's is piss water.

When I did drink(and was drinking Whiskey) I drank Bushmills.

The first time I had Bushmills was the bar at the Hotel Del Coronado in Sand Diego was serving it for St. Pattrick's Day. I've been hooked ever since!

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Drambuie?

Cheers!

Bacardi is pure rot gut. Baccardi gold is to rum what Black Velvet is to whiskey. Just plain bad shit! The best rum in the carribean comes from small distilleries and isn't mass marketed. I think they make some of the finest in Barbados.

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 05:57 AM
"Whisky" (no "e") would need to be single malt or blended (aka "vatted") Scotch. "Whisk-e-y" is an altogether different animal...

I prefer it with the "e", however I've been known to hit the Scotch occasionally.

When it comes to single-malt's, I prefer the Speyside Single Malts to the Highland variety -- in particular, "Glenfiddich 30" or "The Macallan 25 or 30yr" ..but only if others are buying!!

They have an extensive Scotch bar at StripSteak, Michael Mina’s restaurant at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas... A friend who had hit it pretty big was buying us shot's of Balvenie 1971 single cask at $150 a pour... They also had some highly rate Kinclaith 36-year-old, for the real high-rollers which was $415 a dram (two ounce shot). :eek:

To be honest, I prefer the flavor & taste of Single Barrel to any Scotch, irrespective of the price...

Scotch fell out of style to tequila but it sounds like it's coming back. I love single malts neat but I loved blended on the rocks and a cigar. I still love Johnny Walker Black on the rocks with a big stogie!

Nitro Express
12-10-2007, 06:04 AM
The best steaks I ever had came from a cow I popped in the head with a 45 ACP. A grass feed black angus that had been grazing just outside of Yellowstone National Park. We gutted it on site and took it down to the butcher shop where it was properly aged. It sounds sick but the best steak come from a cow that has been hung up and aged until mold starts to grow on the outside of the carcass.

Then you butcher it.

naturochem
12-10-2007, 06:38 AM
The best steaks I ever had came from a cow I popped in the head with a 45 ACP. A grass feed black angus that had been grazing just outside of Yellowstone National Park. We gutted it on site and took it down to the butcher shop where it was properly aged. It sounds sick but the best steak come from a cow that has been hung up and aged until mold starts to grow on the outside of the carcass.

Then you butcher it.
Just like a good Scotch, eh?
The better aged, the better!!

Nitro Express
12-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Just like a good Scotch, eh?
The better aged, the better!!

I guess so and scotch and dead cow goes great together! :D

One of my favorite sea food resturaunts in Newport Beach, CA ages their fish. I never heard of that but the long time owner says he ages his fish and it makes a difference.

naturochem
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I guess so and scotch and dead cow goes great together! :D

One of my favorite sea food resturaunts in Newport Beach, CA ages their fish. I never heard of that but the long time owner says he ages his fish and it makes a difference.
Wouldn't be Mastro's Ocean Club..? I'm not too big on seafood, but have been there accompanied by some major fish freaks, who claim the fish there is as good as it gets on the mainland! Having SanFrancisco in my back yard, I highly doubt that claim, but still a worthy contender for So Cal..!!