PDA

View Full Version : Attack Victim Goes After Knievel Estate

Matt White
12-03-2007, 07:25 PM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/attack-victim-goes-after-knievel-estate/20071203162409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0e/02/20071203180009990007Sheldon "Shelly" Saltman sits in a Los Angeles hospital bed in 1977 after daredevil Evel Knievel shattered his arm with a bat because he was upset over a book Saltman had written about him. Saltman won a settlement for $12.75 million.

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 3) - Of all the bones Evel Knievel broke over the years, the costliest may have been the left arm of a PR man by the name of Shelly Saltman.

Saltman won $12.75 million in damages against Knievel after the motorcycle daredevil attacked him with a baseball bat in 1977 in a rage over a book Saltman had written about the showman.

With interest, the still-uncollected sum has grown to more than $100 million by Saltman's estimate, and he intends to try to collect it.

"We are going hot and heavy after his estate," Saltman told The Associated Press after Knievel died Friday at 69. "What he tried to do to me and how it hurt my family, I'm owed that."

Whether Knievel's estate has that kind of money is unclear.

Knievel's son Kelly would not discuss the size of his father's estate or comment on the dispute. The daredevil's longtime friend and promoter, Billy Rundle, declined to discuss the incident in detail. Knievel's widow, Krystal, was not granting interviews.

Although little remembered today, the incident made headlines worldwide when the death-defying motorcyclist approached Saltman in the parking lot of 20th Century Fox on Sept. 21, 1977, and suddenly started swinging a bat. Saltman, then a studio executive, raised his arm protect his head, a move he says doctors told him probably saved his life.

His arm was shattered and is held together to this day with a steel plate and screws.

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0d/03/20071130170609990039Knievel was best known for a failed 1974 attempt to jump Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered cycle.

Knievel, who broke nearly 40 of his own bones during his many motorcycle stunts, served six months in jail and would never again enjoy the public acclaim he had when he tried unsuccessfully to jump Idaho's Snake River Canyon on a jet-powered motorcycle in 1974 - an event Saltman had promoted.

"I've always felt pity for him," said Saltman, 76. "Because of this foolish act, he ruined his career."

Knievel complained at the time that Saltman's book, "Evel Knievel on Tour," insulted his family and portrayed him as "an alcoholic, a pill addict, an anti-Semite and an immoral person."

Saltman compiled the book from tape-recorded interviews with Knievel and others, and maintains it was an accurate and affectionate, if unvarnished, account of Knievel's life.

"I wrote a book about a man who at the time I greatly admired," he said.

He and Knievel never spoke after the attack, Saltman said, though he said the showman approached him over the years through third parties, expressing remorse and offering to settle the judgment. Saltman said the offers were a "pittance" and he turned all of them down.

The Snake River jump might not even have been the most bizarre of Saltman's promotions. Saltman was also the man behind the scenes at Muhammad Ali's 1976 bout with Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki. The two fought to a draw, with Ali punching and Inoki kicking.

But for better or worse, Saltman knows his name will always be linked with Knievel's.

"My first thought was that I do hope the poor man is finally at peace," he said upon learning of Knievel's death.

Ahhhhhhhh....."The 1970's":p

thome
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Looks like some old bones are gonna get up out of thier box find baseball bat and teach a muther fukker dumbass, who just doesn't get it, another lesson.

The first time Evel had both of his arms in casts and brought a a heavy to confine the prick.

Why would this pussie thing Death would slow Evel down..lol

Go get him EVEL!!

Little Texan
12-04-2007, 12:55 AM
This asshole is just proving that he is, indeed, the piece of shit that Evel Knievel said he was! So, the chickenshit motherfucker has to wait till Evel kicks over dead before deciding to go after that money? What, did he not want to pursue the money while Evel was still alive because he was afraid he would get the fuck beat out of him again by Evel? This guy is nothing but an opportunistic vulture, and he's proving that Evel was justified in going after him all those years ago! Might be time for Kaptain Robbie to pay the fucking dickhead a visit and finish what dad started!

Little Texan
12-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Speaking of Kaptain Robbie, I was there in person to see this in early 2000...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JLvNAMgLbXE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JLvNAMgLbXE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

thome
12-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Even if all the BS the Cont said in his book was true. It is different when some pussy is writing it down and making money off of it .

The freedom of information and the rite to free speech.

Is more protected that the person talked about.

I guess maybe everyone should copywrite thier name and if so used 99% of all profits generated go to the persons name mentioned even if inferred in slang.

E channel all the tabloids evry single news cast all the talking heads everything would shut down.

A world of mutes .

They could still talk thier talkie talk, but if the split was 75%/25% for the mentioned, the world could go on and everyone would be happy.

You cuold just say hey it's all a lie but I let them say whatever the fokk they wanted for the 75% cut.

Then the argument would be you can say what you want but the story or book must generate a min of 50,ooo$ or I will not allow you to use said name.

Then the coolest would be how much is your good name worth.

Then the baseball bats.... the circle of -Life-is complete again.... all is well.

NUKE THE UNBORN BABY GAY WHALES!!!!

Just think how many people I would have to pay for that little diddy.

The days of stepping outside and settling it like men are gone too many lawyers to many freedoms, too little self respect and respect of others.

Plus the looser pussy usually goes home grabs a pistol comes back and caps some innocent cause the other dude went home.

Cause too many people just can't STFU and take it like a man.

Cry Baby Cock Suckers, the lot of em,.

thome rant over.....

Nitro Express
12-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Knowing Evel. He probably burried his money somewhere in Montana and kept it in gold. With today's gold prices and no tracable money trail to it, that would be great. The family can just say Evel died broke and put the money in an off shore account in Monaco or hell, just start a non-profit foundation and manage it. More money is hidden behind philanthropy than ever before.

Nitro Express
12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Robbie is just like his dad. He will take a baseball bat to that son of a bitch again. LOL! Evel beat the son of a bitch for ripping him off and printing lies in a book. My dad grew up in Butte which is an old mining town and said even in the 1930's there would be shootouts and old west shit going on. Evel came from this old school of thinking and a person telling lies about you was not tollerated. In the early 70's a large group of Hell's Angels tried to fuck with the people of Butte telling them they were going to tear the city apart because some of them got kicked out of a bar. The Angels didn't win. Every redneck from 100 miles around came to town and pulled chains across the road, sheep sheered the fuckers, and tossed them into sheep dip and then dumped them off at the city dump. I guess whoever pulled a weapon got roped by a lariat and pulled behind a horse. Sounds like a great movie.

Nitro Express
12-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Little Texan
This asshole is just proving that he is, indeed, the piece of shit that Evel Knievel said he was! So, the chickenshit motherfucker has to wait till Evel kicks over dead before deciding to go after that money? What, did he not want to pursue the money while Evel was still alive because he was afraid he would get the fuck beat out of him again by Evel? This guy is nothing but an opportunistic vulture, and he's proving that Evel was justified in going after him all those years ago! Might be time for Kaptain Robbie to pay the fucking dickhead a visit and finish what dad started!

No shit. That guy was scared to death of Evel. He should be scared to death of Robbie. Robbie will fuck him over just the same. Robbie is the only one I know who had the balls to piss his dad off.

binnie
12-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Oh dear. Some people will stoop very, very low.....

VanHalener
12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
So he wants to screw with Evel's legacy, huh? I'm going to need this guys address.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2mmiqop.jpg

Diamondjimi
12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
What a fucking coward , pussy assed vulture.

I hope Robbie beats his ass!

Nickdfresh
12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
The guy's a total weasel, no question about it...

But Evel couldn't done a dumber, more immature thing than swinging a bat at this tool. He could have just sued him for liable...